Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

They need to look at the deep pool of British Asian actors for the next Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I think in these current times? With the current film completed, whilst we await a safe future time for the release of NTTD? Why not start getting writers and ideas for the next incarnation of the James Bond movies?!!!!

While their public posture may be that they have given it no thought, a film or a new actor, I would wager that some groundwork is being laid.

I hafta disagree on this one... They are very far from casting the new James Bond.

Yes, this is Craig's last film as James Bond, but Babs is in no hurry to re-cast at the moment. Anyone close to her will say she's not emotionally ready to step into these waters, and she does have other projects on her slate (although, due to the state of the world, assume they're on pause).

The only thing that will sway a quick turn around into the next casting and rushing into the next film is this: Universal wants more business and on a bigger scale with MGM/EoN-- and they have deep pockets; saying no, or telling them to wait, would be very difficult (especially in this climate). That may give a pinch to hurry up into the next actor and the next film.

But even then, I see a wait of five years, minimum, to get into production on 26 (I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little bit longer).
    2032 for the series' 70th is my guess.
  • It'll be November 2024, I'm confident.

Yes, and I remember being confident that Bond 25 would come out in October 2018 ...
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    peter wrote: »
    I think in these current times? With the current film completed, whilst we await a safe future time for the release of NTTD? Why not start getting writers and ideas for the next incarnation of the James Bond movies?!!!!

While their public posture may be that they have given it no thought, a film or a new actor, I would wager that some groundwork is being laid.

I hafta disagree on this one... They are very far from casting the new James Bond.

Yes, this is Craig's last film as James Bond, but Babs is in no hurry to re-cast at the moment. Anyone close to her will say she's not emotionally ready to step into these waters, and she does have other projects on her slate (although, due to the state of the world, assume they're on pause).

The only thing that will sway a quick turn around into the next casting and rushing into the next film is this: Universal wants more business and on a bigger scale with MGM/EoN-- and they have deep pockets; saying no, or telling them to wait, would be very difficult (especially in this climate). That may give a pinch to hurry up into the next actor and the next film.

But even then, I see a wait of five years, minimum, to get into production on 26 (I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little bit longer).

I can definitely appreciate the points that you make Peter, and you absolutely have an insight and an understanding of the industry that I do not possess but I still think that a new Bond will be named in 3 to 4 years with a film in theaters within 5 years of the release of NTTD. I confess that this may be, in large part, what I'm hoping for. Lol...

• DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium

As I said above, I don’t think we should forget MGM and the fact that they still own 50% of the Bond franchise. Granted, they don’t have much money to put on the table to persuade (or demand) EON to get ‘a move on’, so to speak. But Bond is their only current money maker when it comes to films, although you might count Rocky/Creed too. They do have a rich library, but they don’t really use it for new films. If MGM still wants to be financially healthy while maintaining a certain level of independency, they need Bond. And quicker than over 5+ years.
    I’ve always assumed (again, see above) that by having 50% of the franchise means MGM has a certain say in the matter and has a certain weight when it comes to deciding when they get started on a new Bond film. To be fair, those long breaks are in large part because MGM was in trouble, but they appear to have a steady business plan. If the renewal for the distribution deal goes smoothly, MGM will look to EON to get things started as soon as possible. @peter, do you know anything about how that relationship between EON and MGM works? Does that 50/50 split between MGM and Danjaq/EON also mean equal say and power?

To be fair, there’s also a moderate chance that the first hurdle in getting Bond 26 made won’t be BB not being able to cast Craig’s successor, but that MGM doesn’t get their finances and deals in order. There is already some ire from the Annapurna joint venture, so a new domestic distribution deal might not be a walk in the park.
    And there’s of course the chance that MGM sells, and then we’re truly in unknown waters with delays that could equal the LTK-GE period.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    People generally respond to crisis and rise to the occasion. Circle wagons. It becomes their focus. Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson and Gregg and others likely fit that profile. Not to mention Daniel Craig.

Whoops. Mentioned him.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

I can definitely appreciate the points that you make Peter, and you absolutely have an insight and an understanding of the industry that I do not possess but I still think that a new Bond will be named in 3 to 4 years with a film in theaters within 5 years of the release of NTTD. I confess that this may be, in large part, what I'm hoping for. Lol...

I'm with peter here, this is a pipe dream.
  • I've got a nauseating feeling that after the second longest gap between films we may even get a bigger gap than between LTK and GE between NTTD and Bond 26. Wouldn't be at all surprised if there are only 2 Bond films in the 2020s as there were in the 2010s.
    Wouldn't Bond 26 really depend on what happens to MGM? They have a stake in Bond, one I understand EON aren't overly happy with as it means they are stuck with an ailing studio with little infrastructure.

The word is that MGM is primed for a big streamer to buy as 'content is king' and they have a deep back catalogue. The frontrunners being Netflix and Apple:
    https://collider.com/netflix-apple-mgm-movies-sale-talks/

Regardless of Universal's intention to stay in the Bond business, isn't this going to be the deal-breaker?

I think optimistically Bond 26 will be with us in 2023. There is also a chance that they hit upon something special with NTTD and they keep Cary Fukunaga and Phoebe Waller-Bridge as the core creative team.

Personally, I'm hoping Apple step in and usher in the Robert Pattinson-era. Though, I'm probably dreaming there....

PRC_70193436.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=644%2C338&ssl=1
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited April 2020 Posts: 7,567
    13 Votes - Aidan Turner - , @JeremyBondon, @Univex , @Thunderball , @Resurrection @talos7 , @BonSimonLeBon_1 , @GeneralGogol , @ToTheRight , @parkert5 , @outlawgenius , @Jordo007 , @Mendes4Lyfe @Bond_Bombshell

4 votes Dan Stevens - @MakeshiftPython , @cwl007 , @Shardlake , @DrClatterhand (s)

3 votes Henry Cavill - @00Agent , @DeerAtTheGates , @Murdock ,
    3 votes Richard Madden - @Octopussy , @NicNac , @peter
    3 votes Luke Evans - @Torgeirtrap , @NickTwentyTwo , @M_Blaise

2 votes Michael Fassbender - @Risico007 , @suavejmf
    2 votes James Norton - @vittoriacolona (s) , @Getafix

1 vote Scott Adkins - @MajorDSmythe
    1 vote Tom Ellis - @CommanderRoss
    1 vote Callum Turner - @Denbigh
    1 vote Jon Boyega - @Benjamin_Weekly69
    1 vote Jamie Dornan - @Pierce2Daniel
    1 vote Tom Hughes - @Benny
    1 vote Benedict Cumberbatch - @JamesCraig

@vittoriacolona and @DrClatterhand have used their option to swap, both duly noted.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2020 Posts: 5,834
    As much as Pattinson would've been great, I don't we'll be seeing as the next Bond I'm afraid. Not only his commitment to the upcoming Batman film, which has just been delayed production wise due to the virus, but because if it's successful they'll probably try and get a trilogy out of him if that isn't in the deal already, and even if it's not, there will be no signing onto new projects like this until we know he won't be doing another Batman.

One of the reasons so many of the Bonds actors have worked, and especially Craig and Connery, is because they're so identifiable as that character. You need someone whose gonna represent Bond for a whole generation, not someone who is Bond and also Batman. It's why I couldn't ever see Cavill being considered again, and especially now he's doing The Witcher as well.
  • Come to think of it, 3 of the 6 Bonds were considered for the role years prior to being cast.

- Moore was always on the radar, being an industry darling on both sides of the pond for over a decade prior to LALD
    - Dalton was considered for OHMSS, but ultimately thought himself too young at the time
    - Brosnan was pretty much cast for TLD, but NBC screwed him over

Connery, Lazenby and Craig were out-of-the-blue castings in comparison. However, all three made strong debuts in the role and two of them became outright legends. (I know Lazenby is also a legend to many of us!)

My hunch is that EON will go for another left-field choice for Bond #7.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,400
    Denbigh wrote: »
    As much as Pattinson would've been great, I don't we'll be seeing as the next Bond I'm afraid. Not only his commitment to the upcoming Batman film, which has just been delayed production wise due to the virus, but because if it's successful they'll probably try and get a trilogy out of him if that isn't in the deal already, and even if it's not, there will be no signing onto new projects like this until we know he won't be doing another Batman.

One of the reasons so many of the Bonds actors have worked, and especially Craig and Connery, is because they're so identifiable as that character. You need someone whose gonna represent Bond for a whole generation, not someone who is Bond and also Batman. It's why I couldn't ever see Cavill being considered again, and especially now he's doing The Witcher as well.

I actually disagree and think Henry Cavill was not in the running whilst he was Superman. Since departing that role he is a legitimate candidate. I could even come around to his casting.......
    EUzKJxCXQAEgc9I?format=jpg&name=large

Meanwhile, George Lazenby wants.....Margot Robbie?!?

Heck, say what you want about a 'female Bond', but just tell me who I need to kill to get a Margot Robbie-led spy franchise.

(To be honest, this was just an excuse for me to spend a few minutes googling Margot and posting photos for our perusal before the whole 'woke' debate heats up - Bond shouldn't be a woman)

EUsfhx9WAAE_2ZW?format=jpg&name=large
    EUtcnRvWkAQQTSm?format=jpg&name=medium
    EUsN8LpX0AU1Tl-?format=jpg&name=900x900
    EUX-T2UWkAMoqOe?format=jpg&name=large
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited April 2020 Posts: 1,318
    George Lazenby wants.....Margot Robbie?!?

Heck, say what you want about a 'female Bond', but just tell me who I need to kill to get a Margot Robbie-led spy franchise.

(To be honest, this was just an excuse for me to spend a few minutes googling Margot and posting photos for our perusal before the whole 'woke' debate heats up - Bond shouldn't be a woman)

Officially lost his marbles. Never liked him as Bond, for obvious and logical reasons, but I like him even less now. Grats to Lazenby earning another 15 seconds of fame through an online rag.

P.s. Thought you were playing for the other team @Pierce2Daniel
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2020 Posts: 5,834
    @Pierce2Daniel He's not officially out as Superman. Nothings been confirmed on that front. They're leaving the door open for him I believe, and it's not even about whether they're in the role at the time. Like I said before the actor should fully become James Bond to everyone, and casting a former Batman or Superman would not achieve that.
  • @NicNac please note that my vote for next Bond doesn't actually go to Stuart Martin. I just like to occasionally throw out names on this thread that aren't being talked about to see how they go down. My actual vote has to go to Aidan Turner.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    @Pierce2Daniel He's not officially out as Superman. Nothings been confirmed on that front. They're leaving the door open for him I believe, and it's not even about whether they're in the role at the time. Like I said before the actor should fully become James Bond to everyone, and casting a former Batman or Superman would not achieve that.

Cavill is fantastic as Superman. Hope he keeps doing that, rather than jumping into a different large franchise role. ;)
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 11,425
    DC Comic's casting team is dire. Cavill and Affleck. What were they thinking? Marvel are so far ahead of them it's ridiculous. And the bizarre thing is that on paper DC arguably had the stronger slate of characters. But Marvel has made a string of undeniably entertaining films with second tier characters. Guardians of the Galaxy is hilarious and far more watchable than anything DC has done for years but features a raccoon and a stick at central characters.

The DC output is leaden by comparison.
    Getafix wrote: »
    DC Comic's casting team is dire. Cavill and Affleck. What were they thinking? Marvel are so far ahead of them it's ridiculous. And the bizarre thing is that on paper DC arguably had the stronger slate of characters. But Marvel has made a string of undeniably entertaining films with second tier characters. Guardians of the Galaxy is hilarious and far more watchable than anything DC has done for years but features a raccoon and a stick at central characters.

DC casting I like:
    All of Nolan's Bat Trilogy
    Cavill as Superman, Shannon as Zod
    Phoenix as Joker
    Gadot as Wonder Woman
    Miller as Flash
    Momoa as Aquaman

I realize a lot of that isn't "in universe". Otherwise, I agree with you.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    George Lazenby wants.....Margot Robbie?!?

Officially lost his marbles. Never liked him as Bond, for obvious and logical reasons, but I like him even less now. Grats to Lazenby earning another 15 seconds of fame through an online rag.

Oh, I know what Mr. Lazenby is up to regarding Miss Robbie. He hasn't changed a bit.

This looks awesome and reinforces my feeling that Chris Hemsworth is a strong contender; he’s got classic good looks, including height, buckets of charm and can obviously handle himself in action and fight scenes.
    When screentest commence, he absolutely deserves an invite.

As far as I'm concerned, @talos7, my friend, those are not classic good looks. Granted, the guy has his charm. But his body is strangely shaped, he has no class unless you think a footballer in a suit has class, and his english accent is usually all over the place, more so than our Mr. Lazenby. So, it's a big no from me, as far as Hemsworth is concerned. But, as always, that's just my opinion. Right now, I'm no even contemplating as to who's gonna be Bond26, as I believe we're in for a long wait.
    Actually my top choice at this point is A. Turner , with N. Hoult as one of my younger prospects.
    Getafix wrote: »

Affleck was the best Batman period
    Benny wrote: »
    Aidan Turner has been connected to the role of Bond for so long now that it would be almost strange for him not to atleast get a screen test. I think the ladies man has to return, and I think also the humour has been absent, they need someone who can pull off the one liners. It requires someone to not take themselves too seriously and Moore and Brosnan were both very much game for a laugh, and very self-effacing. Based in interviews he has done in press, Turner fits the bill. The traditional leading man qaulities for all accounted for with Turner, and hes the only guy that I see that really has the full package and can offer something to the role that we don't see anymore. They need to be able to transition away from the hardboiled, don to earth approach, and let a bit of mischeif back into the formula, but still maintain an aura around the man himself, an no one can deny Turber his dark presence and penetrating stare. I believe his Bond is deadly as much as he is cunning.

The same could be said of Clive Owen. He was a tabloid favourite for CR, but as far as I recall didn't test for the role.
    It all depends what direction EON and co want to go with for the next actor. And even if Turner does test, on the day things can happen. Another candidate may stand out stronger, or in the case of Lewis Collins, who made an seemingly innocent comment to Cubby, that completely ruined his chances of landing the role can also occur.
    Turner may have a good chance on paper. But reality can be very, very different.
    34 year old, 6ft 2in, Scottish actor Stuart Martin. He's currently starring on British tv in Miss Scarlet and The Duke and all good Hugh Jackman lookalike contests. Can't say much about his acting as he's been in a string of tv shows I haven't seen, but he immediately stood out for me as at least having the physicality and manliness that some candidates lack.

Towering over Richard Madden -

e766b3eac24a267540c99aeda66edf9f.gif

328f6a0623cd690db8a614845fe23044.gif

d0vc7e3pbuvptbcadkpb.jpg

MV5BNGQ5NzA2MDUtZTM1OS00M2I4LWE4OTQtYWM1MGFmMTIwMjJjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

I can't say I've ever heard of him @Bond_Bombshell but I can see why you would nominate Mr.Martin.
    Certainly has something of a Bondian look. I'll have too check out his acting credentials.
    If nothing else it would be nice to have a Scot play Bond again. Nice marketing stunt right there too.

That said at 34 now, crazy as it sounds he might be too old when the role is available.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    Aidan Turner has been connected to the role of Bond for so long now that it would be almost strange for him not to atleast get a screen test. I think the ladies man has to return, and I think also the humour has been absent, they need someone who can pull off the one liners. It requires someone to not take themselves too seriously and Moore and Brosnan were both very much game for a laugh, and very self-effacing. Based in interviews he has done in press, Turner fits the bill. The traditional leading man qaulities for all accounted for with Turner, and hes the only guy that I see that really has the full package and can offer something to the role that we don't see anymore. They need to be able to transition away from the hardboiled, don to earth approach, and let a bit of mischeif back into the formula, but still maintain an aura around the man himself, an no one can deny Turber his dark presence and penetrating stare. I believe his Bond is deadly as much as he is cunning.

The same could be said of Clive Owen. He was a tabloid favourite for CR, but as far as I recall didn't test for the role.
    It all depends what direction EON and co want to go with for the next actor. And even if Turner does test, on the day things can happen. Another candidate may stand out stronger, or in the case of Lewis Collins, who made an seemingly innocent comment to Cubby, that completely ruined his chances of landing the role can also occur.
    Turner may have a good chance on paper. But reality can be very, very different.
    34 year old, 6ft 2in, Scottish actor Stuart Martin. He's currently starring on British tv in Miss Scarlet and The Duke and all good Hugh Jackman lookalike contests. Can't say much about his acting as he's been in a string of tv shows I haven't seen, but he immediately stood out for me as at least having the physicality and manliness that some candidates lack.

Towering over Richard Madden -

e766b3eac24a267540c99aeda66edf9f.gif

328f6a0623cd690db8a614845fe23044.gif

d0vc7e3pbuvptbcadkpb.jpg

MV5BNGQ5NzA2MDUtZTM1OS00M2I4LWE4OTQtYWM1MGFmMTIwMjJjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

I can't say I've ever heard of him @Bond_Bombshell but I can see why you would nominate Mr.Martin.
    Certainly has something of a Bondian look. I'll have too check out his acting credentials.
    If nothing else it would be nice to have a Scot play Bond again. Nice marketing stunt right there too.

That said at 34 now, crazy as it sounds he might be too old when the role is available.

Or... They get their sh*t together at EoN et al and start planning ahead. Life is what you make of it, after all.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 108
    Deleted
    Deleted

He meant that having a Scot play Bond again would be a marketing plus. Ya know "Not since Sean Connery..."
  • Univex wrote: »
    Deleted

He meant that having a Scot play Bond again would be a marketing plus. Ya know "Not since Sean Connery..."

Yep. I suddenly realized that after I'd posted, hence my deleted post. Thanks anyway.