No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Anymore follow up replies/leaks on the 4Chan plot?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Please keep any story leak discussion in spoiler tags. Thanks.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited April 2020 Posts: 8,034
    mtm wrote: »
    I'm just curious as to how you would feel if what you wish for were true; you got to see the film, and it was worth the wait, but the price is that the film vastly under performs financially to the point where it will certainly be considered a box office failure? Would it matter to you?

Would it matter to you? The financial gains of the people making a movie has never been a consideration to me as to whether I enjoy a film or not. It’s irrelevant. The only way it could affect me is whether it has an impact on making the next one, but these are Bond films: nothing will stop the next one getting made. Especially the truly exceptional circumstances around this one’s release.

Seeing the film flop would be very disappointing to me, yes.

It wouldn't affect my enjoyment of it. I'm sure I've enjoyed plenty of films that haven't achieved what they needed to. I liked the last Terminator film, I enjoyed The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo... the happiness of their accountants doesn't affect me at all.

It wouldn't affect my enjoyment of the film, either. It's just an added dimension for me. I like to see the Bond films do well.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Wishing You a Quick Recovery @ColonelSun, and Wishing Everyone here Healthy Environments & Safe Surroundings....We'll all return here to discuss our Different Perspectives about the film.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Minons 2 delayed by 1 year, from July 2, 2020 to July 3, 2021, due to the coronavirus.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/minions-the-rise-of-gru-sing-2-wicked-release-date-change-global-international-box-office-coronavirus-1202897417/

Summer 2020 is getting more and more empty. Sooner rather than later, late 2020 films will start getting pushed to next year.
    Minons 2 delayed by 1 year, from July 2, 2020 to July 3, 2021, due to the coronavirus.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/minions-the-rise-of-gru-sing-2-wicked-release-date-change-global-international-box-office-coronavirus-1202897417/

Summer 2020 is getting more and more empty. Sooner rather than later, late 2020 films will start getting pushed to next year.

I fear this may be true, especially with the current state of affairs in the US and the fact that we seemingly haven't even reached the peak of the pandemic in Europe, yet.

With that same logic, what makes you think that Spring/Summer 2021 will be any better?

NTTD is still in a fairly healthy slot with its Thanksgiving 2020 date. Remember we are only in April now. Hollywood is thinking around 3-4 months ahead as they are factoring in marketing and post-production costs. Finished films aren't worrying about this.

Word is that as soon as cinemas open again, Disney anticipate that they will only need 2-3 weeks to promote films like Mulan and Black Widow before unspooling internationally. We may see both before NTTD.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,690

With that same logic, what makes you think that Spring/Summer 2021 will be any better?

NTTD is still in a fairly healthy slot with its Thanksgiving 2020 date. Remember we are only in April now. Hollywood is thinking around 3-4 months ahead as they are factoring in marketing and post-production costs. Finished films aren't worrying about this.

Word is that as soon as cinemas open again, Disney anticipate that they will only need 2-3 weeks to promote films like Mulan and Black Widow before unspooling internationally. We may see both before NTTD.

I do not expect cinemas to re-open before October/November. I would even not be surprised if there are no new movie releases until 2021.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I'm just curious as to how you would feel if what you wish for were true; you got to see the film, and it was worth the wait, but the price is that the film vastly under performs financially to the point where it will certainly be considered a box office failure? Would it matter to you?

Would it matter to you? The financial gains of the people making a movie has never been a consideration to me as to whether I enjoy a film or not. It’s irrelevant. The only way it could affect me is whether it has an impact on making the next one, but these are Bond films: nothing will stop the next one getting made. Especially the truly exceptional circumstances around this one’s release.

It wouldn't affect my enjoyment of it. I'm sure I've enjoyed plenty of films that haven't achieved what they needed to. I liked the last Terminator film, I enjoyed The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo... the happiness of their accountants doesn't affect me at all.

It wouldn't affect my enjoyment of the film, either. It's just an added dimension for me. I like to see the Bond films do well.

Me too, it would be selfish if i only think about my enjoyment and not about the people who has worked so hard for the film. They need to be paid well for what they have achieved.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    New Matera-photos (except the clapperboard and fake cracked windshield) by instagram.com/maxearey

ZnEYvRy.jpg
    EKT0a2K.jpg
    QOzM0bh.jpg
    EsHq97l.jpg
    uoeZzLq.jpg
    I9PmWL6.jpg
    zqs15Yq.jpg
    6XzHh9o.jpg
    sUEn9S9.jpg
    gUw16OR.jpg
    w8pbLyd.jpg
    ABrLA0G.jpg
    6owWicZ.jpg
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Oh Aston Martin DB5 you magnificent beast B-)
  • I do not expect cinemas to re-open before October/November. I would even not be surprised if there are no new movie releases until 2021.

That's fair enough but that is at least 6 months away. That's quite a long time from now - things might hopefully pick up before then. I hope it does anyway.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    If nothing else, and I expect more, this is going to be a gorgeous film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2020 Posts: 14,951

Me too, it would be selfish if i only think about my enjoyment and not about the people who has worked so hard for the film. They need to be paid well for what they have achieved.

Jesus, I wish everyone well, but calling me selfish because I can't worry about about a massive enormously rich studio losing a few million they're already prepared to risk is a bit rich. Everybody who worked on making the film have already been paid, anyone whose pay depends on the film doing well is someone who is taking a percentage of the gross, and if they're in a position to have negotiated that, they're already massively rich.

I don't wish anyone to lose any money, heaven knows most of us here are losing money through this situation. But the multi-millionaires taking a percentage from a movie release I reckon are going to be alright and don't need me worrying about them quite so much as the people genuinely struggling through this and doing something valuable for the community. Turn it in.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Contraband wrote: »
    New Matera-photos (except the clapperboard and fake cracked windshield) by instagram.com/maxearey

Thank for those! I don't think those cracks are fake though :D

• edited April 2020 Posts: 97
    Can we just all finally admit that it was a mistake to fire Danny Boyle? Follow up question if your answer is no: will you change your mind if the movie ends up being delayed for a 4th time from November to 2021?

Jesus, I wish everyone well, but calling me selfish because I can't worry about about a massive enormously rich studio losing a few million they're already prepared to risk is a bit rich. Everybody who worked on making the film have already been paid, anyone whose pay depends on the film doing well is someone who is taking a percentage of the gross, and if they're in a position to have negotiated that, they're already massively rich.

I don't wish anyone to lose any money, heaven knows most of us here are losing money through this situation. But the multi-millionaires taking a percentage from a movie release I reckon are going to be alright and don't need me worrying about them quite so much as the people genuinely struggling through this and doing something valuable for the community. Turn it in.

Yeah, I think the Main reason why NTTD needs to be successful, is for it to give Birth to Bond 26. And Judging by how EON operate these days, it might take sometime to get Bond 26 together....even if NTTD becomes a Success, which it's looking to be. Now, let's imagine how long it would take to get Bond 26 off the ground, if NTTD doesn't turn out to be a Box-Office Success.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Yeah, I think the Main reason why NTTD needs to be successful, is for it to give Birth to Bond 26. And Judging by how EON operate these days, it might take sometime to get Bond 26 together....even if NTTD becomes a Success, which it's looking to be. Now, let's imagine how long it would take to get Bond 26 off the ground, if NTTD doesn't turn out to be a Box-Office Success.

I don't think it will make all that much difference to be honest. No studio is going to look an underperforming movie this year and not suspect that the lack of profit might just have something to do with all the cinemas being shut and people not leaving their homes :D And the next Bond film is coming regardless, they're not going to stop making them.
    Will there be a gap until the next one? Probably yeah because unless they're really pinning their hopes on persuading Craig back, they've got to cast a new Bond and most probably find an entirely new route for the movies. Last time they managed to do that in three years, so hopefully we'll be looking at something similar.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

I don't think it will make all that much difference to be honest. No studio is going to look an underperforming movie this year and not suspect that the lack of profit might just have something to do with all the cinemas being shut and people not leaving their homes :D And the next Bond film is coming regardless, they're not going to stop making them.
    Will there be a gap until the next one? Probably yeah because unless they're really pinning their hopes on persuading Craig back, they've got to cast a new Bond and most probably find an entirely new route for the movies. Last time they managed to do that in three years, so hopefully we'll be looking at something similar.

Indeed.....We all hope for the best.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 8,034
    There's a difference between underperforming and actively losing money. Making less money than your predecessor is underperforming - that's not what we're talking about here. EON, regardless of whether the board members have personally wealthy bank accounts or not, can't release two films back to back that will lose money, irrespective of them understanding of why they did so. The bottom line is what matters. Plenty of companies with rich people behind them have taken hits that would cause them to scale back, reduce or even totally stop productivity down the line. You only need to look at the news to see this. Granted, comparing a restaurant chain or IT company to a Production House isn't quite the same, but the principle isn't too different. Other studios have multiple IPs from which they can draw from in future and bounce back from this slump. EON don't have this luxury; they only have Bond. A big financial hit would impact them harder than anyone else. It's one of the reasons why I always pull for Bond to do well financially, especially in a comic-book dominated world. That's the extent of it, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't consider anyone who isn't interested in the finances of rich people to be selfish (why would you?), but I would certainly question anyone wishing for the film to be released in a manner that they know would almost certainly cause it to fail financially, as that will have ramifications down the line, even if those ramifications are only creative.

Of course, I say all this while understanding that it has been a long time (too long!) since we've had a Bond film on our horizons, and that everyone wants to see it as soon as possible. I'm disappointed with the delay, too.

But there you go. It is what it is.

Regardless of whether you agree with the above or not, I don't think we need to call anyone selfish. I saw another poster being called selfish for claiming streaming should be a last resort; the person accusing them of that stated that "Bond fans are likely dying right now". That wasn't fair on them, and I don't think using the word selfish for the reverse is fair either! :)

Very sorry for the long post. I promise this will be my last on the subject - I'll let @Contraband get back to doing his thing!
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited April 2020 Posts: 1,006
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Cary and PWB are already writing Bond 26 - everyone seems to be thrilled with the work they did on NTTD, and we KNOW the producers like to bring back talent. If that’s the case let’s please bring Linus back as well!
    Trouble is, how will the financial performance ever be seperated from the context in which is was released. Many have explained SF's financial perfomance on the 50th birthday, Olympics etc and we will never know if thats true. In the same way, we will never know how much NTTD would have made if released on time.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 13,014
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Cary and PWB are already writing Bond 26 - everyone seems to be thrilled with the work they did on NTTD, and we KNOW the producers like to bring back talent. If that’s the case let’s please bring Linus back as well!
    Now who would they get for the Bond role. If NTTD didn't send Craig out on a high box office-wise, I mean.

• jabalijabali Los Angeles

I think Cary's already got a few projects he's working on now, he's said in interviews that he's involved with a film about Hiroshima as well as Kubrick's abandoned Napoleon film (it'll be a miniseries if I recall correctly). I would love to see them both back on board though! It seems like they've got a great thing going on with NTTD.
    Fukanaga seems to have really enjoyed making this film. You love to see it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    patb wrote: »
    Trouble is, how will the financial performance ever be seperated from the context in which is was released. Many have explained SF's financial perfomance on the 50th birthday, Olympics etc and we will never know if thats true. In the same way, we will never know how much NTTD would have made if released on time.

According to my local cinema s website, NTTD still premieres tomorrow, but the cinema is closed, so it won t earn anything.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 822
    Meet Our Spring Cover Star: Lashana Lynch
    “With any franchise that everyone’s been waiting for for years, you want to know that you’re getting it right—but getting it right doesn’t mean right for the audience; it means right for me. I want to know that the person I am creating in my head is actually coming out every day that I’m on set, and that my ideas actually appear on camera.”
    Not sure I'm too thrilled by this quote. Imo, when making a film of this nature, i.e. a blockbuster that is made for profit over art and satisfying a fan base versus pet projects that are made purely for self-expression and prioritizing an artistic vision, you need to get it right for the audience first and foremost. Hopefully her ideas overlap significantly with what the majority of fans and the movie going public wants, but I have my doubts. I'm hoping for the best, but statements like this come off as somewhat arrogant, from the perspective of the customer that is financing this work. At least say that it's not ONLY about getting it right for the audience. The plain dismissal of the audience rubs me the wrong way.
    patb wrote: »

According to my local cinema s website, NTTD still premieres tomorrow, but the cinema is closed, so it won t earn anything.

You should sit outside your local cinema with a sign reading “No time to die!”
  • There's a difference between underperforming and actively losing money. Making less money than your predecessor is underperforming - that's not what we're talking about here. EON, regardless of whether the board members have personally wealthy bank accounts or not, can't release two films back to back that will lose money, irrespective of them understanding of why they did so. The bottom line is what matters. Plenty of companies with rich people behind them have taken hits that would cause them to scale back, reduce or even totally stop productivity down the line. You only need to look at the news to see this. Granted, comparing a restaurant chain or IT company to a Production House isn't quite the same, but the principle isn't too different. Other studios have multiple IPs from which they can draw from in future and bounce back from this slump. EON don't have this luxury; they only have Bond. A big financial hit would impact them harder than anyone else. It's one of the reasons why I always pull for Bond to do well financially, especially in a comic-book dominated world. That's the extent of it, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't consider anyone who isn't interested in the finances of rich people to be selfish (why would you?), but I would certainly question anyone wishing for the film to be released in a manner that they know would almost certainly cause it to fail financially, as that will have ramifications down the line, even if those ramifications are only creative.

Of course, I say all this while understanding that it has been a long time (too long!) since we've had a Bond film on our horizons, and that everyone wants to see it as soon as possible. I'm disappointed with the delay, too.

Regardless of whether you agree with the above or not, I don't think we need to call anyone selfish. I saw another poster being called selfish for claiming streaming should be a last resort; the person accusing them of that stated that "Bond fans are likely dying right now". That wasn't fair on them, and I don't think using the word selfish for the reverse is fair either! :)

Very sorry for the long post. I promise this will be my last on the subject - I'll let @Contraband get back to doing his thing!

+1
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    There's a difference between underperforming and actively losing money. Making less money than your predecessor is underperforming - that's not what we're talking about here. EON, regardless of whether the board members have personally wealthy bank accounts or not, can't release two films back to back that will lose money, irrespective of them understanding of why they did so. The bottom line is what matters. Plenty of companies with rich people behind them have taken hits that would cause them to scale back, reduce or even totally stop productivity down the line. You only need to look at the news to see this. Granted, comparing a restaurant chain or IT company to a Production House isn't quite the same, but the principle isn't too different. Other studios have multiple IPs from which they can draw from in future and bounce back from this slump. EON don't have this luxury; they only have Bond. A big financial hit would impact them harder than anyone else. It's one of the reasons why I always pull for Bond to do well financially, especially in a comic-book dominated world. That's the extent of it, as far as I'm concerned.

Birds of Prey underperformed, but didn't lose money.