No Time to Die production thread

Comments

Red_Snow wrote: »

Thank you! Great find! Possible insight into Safin/Madeleine's plot....

_JAMESBOND.jpg?itok=a6NvsI1X
    Wikipedia states:

The film tells the story of a dull, plump housewife living in poverty with a common-law husband. After being raped by a thief, she is repeatedly accosted by him as he falls madly in love with her. Stuck between her adulterous, unloving husband and the rapist she struggles to find happiness.

Did Safin rape Madeleine? Based off the comments from Seydoux, I'm getting the impression that Madeleine will actually be a fleshed-out, three-dimensional character this time. So perhaps this adds up.....
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

Wikipedia states:

The film tells the story of a dull, plump housewife living in poverty with a common-law husband. After being raped by a thief, she is repeatedly accosted by him as he falls madly in love with her. Stuck between her adulterous, unloving husband and the rapist she struggles to find happiness.

Did Safin rape Madeleine? Based off the comments from Seydoux, I'm getting the impression that Madeleine will actually be a fleshed-out, three-dimensional character this time. So perhaps this adds up.....

And True Detective was about...? Perhaps we’re onto something. Childhood trauma is a common theme throughout Cary’s body of work.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,497

Wikipedia states:

WTF is with that Wikipedia article??? And it's certainly NOT coming from their NTTD page...

Jesus Christ man.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada

Wikipedia states:

Wikipedia states:

I am very curious about this as well. Points to Madeleine being a huge part of this plot. I am excited, I watched Spectre over the weekend and came away more inpressed with what Seydoux did with the material she was given.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    This makes me think that Madeleine/Safin's relationship will feel very Fleming-esque.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden

FYI: Im fixing this one as we speak.

For my money I'm going to predict that this Bond film doesn't feature a child rape subplot for the female protagonist.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    This makes me think that Madeleine/Safin's relationship will feel very Fleming-esque.

Wasn’t Tiffany raped when she was young? Yes I believe.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    matt_u wrote: »

Madeleine and the literary Tiffany share some characteristics. That would fit.
    Bentley007 wrote: »

Madeleine and the literary Tiffany share some characteristics. That would fit.

Yes I agree.
    What's with this rape thing all of a sudden?

You do realise that all of that is NOT on the wikipedia page of NTTD?

Or am I missing something?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Honeychile Rider was, and killed the man.

Honeychile Rider was, and killed the man.

"It took him a whole week to die".
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,343
    JamesCraig wrote: »

You’re missing something. This “rape thing” is part of the plot of Unholy Desire the film Fukunaga took as inspiration for NTTD.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

You’re missing something. This “rape thing” is part of the plot of Unholy Desire the film Fukunaga took as inspiration for NTTD.

I think this is being taken too literally; just because he took inspiration from the film doesn’t mean that the specific plot element of rape was used. I find it highly unlikely that it will be. The inspiration is more likely a tone or story structure.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    talos7 wrote: »

I think this is being taken too literally; just because he took inspiration from the film doesn’t mean that the specific plot element of rape was used. I find it highly unlikely that it will be. The inspiration is more likely a tone or story structure.

Some theme or some visuals. Imamura was an extremely interesting filmmaker who was part of Japan's New Wave along with Nagisha Oshima. He's also responsible for Profound Desires of the Gods, Vengeance Is Mine, The Ballad of Narayama (second version), Black Rain, The Eel and a few others. In many ways, he was the opposite of directors from the previous generations such as Ozu, Kurozawa or Mizoguchi. With his Japanese roots, Fukunaga must be familiar with Imamura's filmography, and it's likely that he will try to convey on NTTD some feeling that he got while watching Unholy Desire.

Maybe. But as I already said childhood trauma is a strong theme in his films and TD was about satanists and pedophiles. Two iconic Bond girls were raped in the books so even tho this is all speculation there’s still a chance that there could be some truth in it. I’d personally love that. Swann crying with the mask in her hands triggering the memory of the day she was raped would be pretty powerful. I wouldn’t discard this idea.
  • weboffearweboffear Scotland
    interesting discussion about streaming
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 725
    It's time for a transgendered woman to be a Bond girl. Plus, Bond needs to be on the receiving end of a sex scene. How many times have we seen Bond on top? It would be refreshing and progressive.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 7,889

Maybe. But as I already said childhood trauma is a strong theme in his films and TD was about satanists and pedophiles. Two iconic Bond girls were raped in the books so even tho this is all speculation there’s still a chance that there could be some truth in it. I’d personally love that. Swann crying with the mask in her hands triggering the memory of the day she was raped would be pretty powerful. I wouldn’t discard this idea.

I just don’t see rape being used as a plot device for a Bond film , even in the Craig era.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

I just don’t see rape being used as a plot device for a Bond film , even in the Craig era.

QoS!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Just in case you didn't get the NTTD issue of American Cinematographer, they've actually officially released it for free and you can read it on your device here:
    https://ascmag.com/articles/april-2020-ac-issue
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Thank you, @mtm
    echo wrote: »

QoS!

True, but I still don’t see that part of this story. We’ll see..... eventually 🤔

In fact, no less than three Bond Girls had been raped before Bond entered the picture : Tiffany Case, Honeychile Rider and Pussy Galore.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,497

So because he took inspiration from that film it means that we will have a rape victim in NTTD?

@Pierce2Daniel Please clarify your sources in the future.

So because he took inspiration from that film it means that we will have a rape victim in NTTD?

@Pierce2Daniel Please clarify your sources in the future.

It means that is a possibility come on.
    Yes, but you are presenting it as a fact.

Inspiration does not mean 100% copying something.