No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited March 2020 Posts: 252
    e

• edited March 2020 Posts: 252
    MI6 just blocked me on Twitter for disagreeing with what they wrote in that letter.

Bunch of Loosers. It's to late for a delay

ColonelSun wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Burgess wrote: »
    Loque72 wrote: »
    Thought the M16 corona virus letter was adding to the panic. Eon should not be swayed by such scare mongering. It's The World Health Organisation they should be listening to, and nobody else.

While I do believe in the sincerity behind the letter, it may ironically serve as an unintentional marketing tool. It’s already generating some buzz.

https://www.wired.com/story/james-bond-fans-coronavirus/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/james-bond-open-letter-calls-no-time-die-delay-coronavirus-1282047

MI6 just blocked me on Twitter for disagreeing with what they wrote in that letter. I didn't disagree in an arumentative manner, just gave my disagreement. Absolutely pathetic.

The age of intolerance!

I’d be pretty surprised with a delay at this point. A lot of tickets have been sold already.

There will be no delay of the release. In fact, trying to delay and also predict when the virus might peak - which no one, not even medical experts, can predict at present - could make things far worse for any release. Eon are sticking to their guns and are right to do so. I simply do not understand the logic of Mi6's open letter, or that they have, apparently, blocked a member from expressing disagreement with that letter.

I can understand them blocking me if I had responded in an argumentative or rude manner, but I did just state that I disagreed with it. They must have realised that not everyone would agree with their letter. To block someone for just having a different opinion isn't great.

As I said - intolerance. Totally outrageous. Civil disagreement just gets less and less allowed these days.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,935
    Getafix wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I think NTTD was always looking to be a Half-Grounded, Half-Over-the-Top Bond film. Which is a good thing, coz a Director of Cary's Calibre would strike the balance properly....I think we've gotten too used to Craig's realistic take on Bond that we just might have forgotten that Bond originated with a bit of fantasy....evidently in movies as early as GF. The world of Bond is already Outlandish. The challenge has always been for the Director not to get tempted with Bond's already Picturesque world, so he(the director) doesn't make it too silly. I think Cary like Terence Young, will bring fantasy & realism.

I agree with this. I just don't like CGI, especially in a Bond film.

Little Nelly and the submersible Lotus were outlandish but were either real or done in a way that made them plausible/borderline believable. As soon I see CGI I am immediately taken out of the movie because I know immediately that it's fake.

Did you ever think Atlantis was bigger than four foot tall though? :D

Thought the M16 corona virus letter was adding to the panic. Eon should not be swayed by such scare mongering. It's The World Health Organisation they should be listening to, and nobody else.

While I do believe in the sincerity behind the letter, it may ironically serve as an unintentional marketing tool. It’s already generating some buzz.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/james-bond-open-letter-calls-no-time-die-delay-coronavirus-1282047

MI6 just blocked me on Twitter for disagreeing with what they wrote in that letter. I didn't disagree in an arumentative manner, just gave my disagreement. Absolutely pathetic.

The BBC are reporting it now as being what 'Bond fans' think. But it's just one guy with a website, isn't it? Slightly embarrassing..
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 440
    TripAces wrote: »
    I thought EON had learned their lesson and were keeping the CGI to a minimum. Entirely CGI'd action sequences are just a complete no no for me.

I think you'd be shocked to learn just how much CGI is in almost every film.

Exactly. People have so little idea that even supposedly "grounded" "gritty" "realistic" films use a ton of CGI.

For as much as people like Nolan and JJ Abrams like to go on about their love of practical effects and how they'll always "do things for real" 9/10 most of the effects they shoot on the set are replaced or at least altered with, computer graphics.

:Edit: In a way, being a CGI artist must be one of the most thankless jobs in film. The hours are long, the pay by all accounts is terrible, and people only ever notice the subpar work because the high-quality stuff goes unnoticed by design.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited March 2020 Posts: 8,028
    For those who are keeping an ear out for their first glimpse of Zimmer's music, I think this might be it.

mtm wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I think NTTD was always looking to be a Half-Grounded, Half-Over-the-Top Bond film. Which is a good thing, coz a Director of Cary's Calibre would strike the balance properly....I think we've gotten too used to Craig's realistic take on Bond that we just might have forgotten that Bond originated with a bit of fantasy....evidently in movies as early as GF. The world of Bond is already Outlandish. The challenge has always been for the Director not to get tempted with Bond's already Picturesque world, so he(the director) doesn't make it too silly. I think Cary like Terence Young, will bring fantasy & realism.

I agree with this. I just don't like CGI, especially in a Bond film.

Little Nelly and the submersible Lotus were outlandish but were either real or done in a way that made them plausible/borderline believable. As soon I see CGI I am immediately taken out of the movie because I know immediately that it's fake.

Did you ever think Atlantis was bigger than four foot tall though? :D

The BBC are reporting it now as being what 'Bond fans' think. But it's just one guy with a website, isn't it? Slightly embarrassing..

It’ a very weird thing for MI6 to do…..

They are a ‘news’ website and resource for all things James Bond. They aren’t supposed to make the ‘news.’ Now, don’t get me wrong, if they have a scoop and it’s worthy of headlines then they deserve the attention.

But some guy has an opinion and suddenly he talks for all ‘Bond fans?’ That’s baffling. This is just clickbait. Remember in July 2019, when MI6 ran an article about Lashana Lynch being a 00 and called it ‘Clickbait’ and admonished the media for taking the bait? Well aren’t they just doing the same here? It also seems that they are relishing the clickbait attention they are getting by retweeting bored journalists who actually reported the story.

Also, the article is a little ignorant. You can see it’s written by something with very limited commercial awareness. NTTD isn’t just a ‘film’ it’s a massive commercial enterprise valued at approx. $600 million.

I think the whole ‘Podcast’ and talk of ‘James Bond community’ has inflated MI6’s ego.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Can someone explain the relationship between MI6-HQ and mi6community? Do they just link t this forum (and why to this, not others?) or are/were some of the mods part of MI6-HQ? Just curious...
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2020 Posts: 5,869
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    I thought EON had learned their lesson and were keeping the CGI to a minimum. Entirely CGI'd action sequences are just a complete no no for me.

Oh yes. But the glider only looks "fake" in the water, the air scenes look great imho.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 727
    I love Madelyn's gap tooth. Something very American hood about her. She a sista.
    I love Madelyn's gap tooth. Something very American hood about her. She a sista.

J1yuPds.jpg

Merci.

Exactly. People have so little idea that even supposedly "grounded" "gritty" "realistic" films use a ton of CGI.

For as much as people like Nolan and JJ Abrams like to go on about their love of practical effects and how they'll always "do things for real" 9/10 most of the effects they shoot on the set are replaced or at least altered with, computer graphics.

:Edit: In a way, being a CGI artist must be one of the most thankless jobs in film. The hours are long, the pay by all accounts is terrible, and people only ever notice the subpar work because the high-quality stuff goes unnoticed by design.

I am conscious that there's a lot of CGI effects in the Bond films. I guess what I was talking about was stuff that's just not realistic and clearly CGI'd plus bad CGI. The glider seems to fall into both categories.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 848
    I am conscious that there's a lot of CGI effects in the Bond films. I guess what I was talking about was stuff that's just not realistic and clearly CGI'd plus bad CGI. The glider seems to fall into both categories.

I agree, and I'm sure there are real army glider or prop glider (like the one in DAD) who could have do the job otherwise to create a fictive CGI one.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    JamesCraig wrote: »

J1yuPds.jpg

Merci.

Hot damn.
    Denbigh wrote: »

Hotter damn.
    Would have been interesting if they had done the glider/water shot with a miniature. That would have been old school Bond style.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Denbigh wrote: »

As much of a behind the scenes look that you can get in 20 seconds! :)
    Thanks for the link though: love that shot of the Aston bring cruelly pushed by the Range Rover!
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Contraband wrote: »
    Don't miss the new creepy footage in new short tv-spot, posted by @antovolk (also in trailer thread plus screencaps by me)

Hemming and hawing over buying tix for the marathon on 4/8. Our local AMC theater has CR starting at 9:00 am. This means NTTD would begin around 8:30 pm that night. There must be a long intermission between films. It would probably go...

CR 9:00 am-11:24
    QoS 12:00 - 1:47
    SF 2:30 - 4:58
    SP 5:30 - 8:10
    NTTD 8:30 - 11:17

This latest TV spot might push me to go.

Damn @TripAces enjoy, i am really jealous, wish i could have watch that :(

I agree, and I'm sure there are real army glider or prop glider (like the one in DAD) who could have do the job otherwise to create a fictive CGI one.

Or Getafix is just preparing his next round of nitpicking.

It does look quite fake in the water, but not in the air. And I've seen much worse CGI, including in DAD.
    delfloria wrote: »
    Would have been interesting if they had done the glider/water shot with a miniature. That would have been old school Bond style.

Would have been a bit better definitely
  • 00Dalton700Dalton7 Portsmouth
    edited March 2020 Posts: 78
    You guys are mad, because the glider in the water looks like a full scale prop!
    Honestly, I'm a CGI detractor, super critical of it when its badly used, I used to suffer from PTSD because of DAD, and I can't for the life of me see that as bad CGI, I can't even tell it's a full CGI set+plane. If they told me it was a scale prop and added CGI I'd believe it. I mean, it's just a second or two on the trailer.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Univex wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm a CGI detractor, super critical of it when its badly used, I used to suffer from PTSD because of DAD, and I can't for the life of me see that as bad CGI, I can't even tell it's a full CGI set+plane. If they told me it was a scale prop and added CGI I'd believe it. I mean, it's just a second or two on the trailer.

Agreed 100%. I think it's malcontents being malcontents. Dire 'Nother Day had terrible CGI. That short clip is absolutely nothing like that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    00Dalton7 wrote: »
    You guys are mad, because the glider in the water looks like a full scale prop!

It would make more sense if it was to be honest: we know the set is real because we’ve seen photos of folk in it and id be amazed if they hadn’t built a full scale glider. I haven’t seen this shot on anything else but my phone yet but I wonder if folks are sure it’s CG?
  • 00Dalton700Dalton7 Portsmouth
    Also the glider inside the plane is a full scale prop because they’re sitting in it! The CGI is just the aerial shot with the wings unfolding,
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2020 Posts: 14,935
    Contraband wrote: »
    Don't miss the new creepy footage in new short tv-spot, posted by @antovolk (also in trailer thread plus screencaps by me)

I just realised the thing I like most about this spot: they use the classic old ‘Bond Is Back’ copyline! :D

What?