No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    antovolk wrote: »
    Looks like 163 minutes is indeed our runtime. Been popping up on multiple international distribution sources and cinema websites in the last couple days and now it's also on Regal - https://www.regmovies.com/movies/no-time-to-die/ho00009902#/

Looks like I'll have to downgrade my soda from a jumbo to small

This should be the tag line for the film. My first thought too mate.
    Thanks for sharing the news @antovolk

Those picture's are great @Pierce2Daniel they seem to jump right off the screen
    No offence but I do hope you're wrong about the potential spoiler, that would be such a disappointment
  • Jordo007 wrote: »
    Looks like 163 minutes is indeed our runtime. Been popping up on multiple international distribution sources and cinema websites in the last couple days and now it's also on Regal - https://www.regmovies.com/movies/no-time-to-die/ho00009902#/

No offence but I do hope you're wrong about the potential spoiler, that would be such a disappointment

The cinematography is lit.

I do think I'm right. I don't mind it in this context (Craig's last film, end of the 'reboot' era). Would introduce a strong story wrinkle.

Also, what is asymmetric warfare? Why does Fukunaga mention it? Also, love the bit where Fukunaga refers to Bond as a'wounded animal'....Madeleine broke this boy's heart.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Jordo007 wrote: »

I do think I'm right. I don't mind it in this context (Craig's last film, end of the 'reboot' era). Would introduce a strong story wrinkle.

And where does the rumour that one of the reasons that Danny Boyle left was because
    he wanted to kill Bond at the end of the film
    fit in? Just not true?

We don't know (yet), but Boyle seems the more likely candidate to suggest such an idea. While it makes sense story wise and it would be an absolute emotional closure of the Craig era, I don't think the producers would want to end the film that way.
    Craig himself might've enjoyed the thought, but I don't think they'd let him.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think the films gonna make you think he’s going to die by the end of the film, but he actually doesn’t.
    @Pierce2Daniel yeah I wondered what Cary meant by asymmetric warfare was as well, possibly that the tactics used differs from Bond. Opposite sides of the same coin sort of thing.
    The other thing I noticed watching it again was how Cary mentions the time aspect, like there is a race against time, I mean it is called No Time To Die after all. I wonder what it is Bond is up against and why Time is crucial to it all. Very intriguing
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 2,436
    @Pierce2Daniel yeah I wondered what Cary meant by asymmetric warfare was as well, possibly that the tactics used differs from Bond. Opposite sides of the same coin sort of thing.
    The other thing I noticed watching it again was how Cary mentions the time aspect, like there is a race against time, I mean it is called No Time To Die after all. I wonder what it is Bond is up against and why Time is crucial to it all. Very intriguing

I'm assuming it means there isn't parity in the arms race - from the trailer M talks about the world arming faster than we can catch up. Also the trailer suggests a raid on Porton Down - maybe stealing some kind of Chemical and/or Biological weaponry.
  • Jordo007 wrote: »

And where does the rumour that one of the reasons that Danny Boyle left was because
    he wanted to kill Bond at the end of the film
    fit in? Just not true?

We don't know (yet), but Boyle seems the more likely candidate to suggest such an idea. While it makes sense story wise and it would be an absolute emotional closure of the Craig era, I don't think the producers would want to end the film that way.
    Craig himself might've enjoyed the thought, but I don't think they'd let him.

The story has been a been confusing.
    When Boyle first quit in August 2018, the rumour was that BB and DC wanted to kill Bond and he objected. Then some months later in March 2019, the rumour was that Boyle left as his big idea to kill Bond was vetoed.

Here are two articles from the same source who demonstrate the contradictions:
    https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a22840610/danny-boyle-kill-james-bond/
    https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a26666838/danny-boyle-james-bond-dead-rumors/

Also – and perhaps –most importantly, it’s pretty well-known that Boyle left after the producers wanted another writer to re-write John Hodge’s script. Essentially Eon were taking the script away from him and thus ceding his level of control. A fairly apt reason to quit.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I'm assuming it means there isn't parity in the arms race - from the trailer M talks about the world arming faster than we can catch up. Also the trailer suggests a raid on Porton Down - maybe stealing some kind of Chemical and/or Biological weaponry.

I wonder who the larger of the two armies is in this film's version of asymmetric warfare. If Bond's mission requires him to be stealthy, he would be the underdog. Safin seems to have quite a large employee list.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I think the films gonna make you think he’s going to die by the end of the film, but he actually doesn’t.

I think so too. The Royal Doulton Bulldog is making a return in NTTD, at least, I believe it is because they’re selling the replica. If it does feature in the film, I wonder if it will act as a sort of totem. The scenario in my head is that everyone believes Bond is dead at the end of the film but the Bulldog somehow indicates that he’s still alive. Maybe it arrives on Nomi or Moneypenny’s doorstep. It would be a meaningful chiasmus to Skyfall.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,043
    Getafix wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    TWINE wishes it was as good as SF, like a great many other Bond films.

Leave him mate he's been on a mission.
    He spots bad will towards Skyfall, zeroes in on it, it's like blood to shark.

He can't help himself.

A case of pot kettle black I think, since every post I make about SF is followed as sure as night follows day by another by you telling me how obsessed I am.

It would be a full time job if I followed up all your sleights on Skyfall.

I dislike SPECTRE as much as you do SF, possibly more. Although I'm not saying I don't make that known but if I followed up every post that slags it off I'd be exhausted.

I just hope after 8 years from that film I won't be banging the same old tired drum you are still.

There is nothing we haven't heard countless times before in what you say about SF.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Burgess wrote: »

I think so too. The Royal Doulton Bulldog is making a return in NTTD, at least, I believe it is because they’re selling the replica. If it does feature in the film, I wonder if it will act as a sort of totem. The scenario in my head is that everyone believes Bond is dead at the end of the film but the Bulldog somehow indicates that he’s still alive. Maybe it arrives on Nomi or Moneypenny’s doorstep. It would be a meaningful chiasmus to Skyfall.

I think this is a very likely scenario. They won't kill Bond, but they definitely could imply his demise then give us closure that he is in fact fine by the end.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,834

I think this is a very likely scenario. They won't kill Bond, but they definitely could imply his demise then give us closure that he is in fact fine by the end.
    I think so too. I think everyone will escape the lair (Nomi, Madeleine) apart from Bond, who will stay behind during the destruction for some reason, and "die", before maybe revealing he's somewhere else... with or without Madeleine?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

This is a distinct possibility.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,018
    New still of Cary

QU3T533.jpg

Taken the same day they shot the lobby and entrance of luxury hotel Palazzo Viceconte, doubled for Bond and Swann's (fake) hotel 'Palazzo Lucareschi'.

M6H4PWo.jpg

Fun facts: Palazzo Viceconte located 50 m from Piazza Doumo square (bike stunt jump) Plus many of the rooms in the real hotel have the same type of wall design as the fake hotel room set they built nearby.

With love,
    Contraband - Master of research :P
    Thanks @Contraband
    Stylistically this film really fills me with confidence. It feels fresh and new while remaining faithful to the classic era of Bond
    Contraband wrote: »

You sure are ;)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    New still of Cary

QU3T533.jpg

Taken the same day they shot the lobby and entrance of luxury hotel Palazzo Viceconte, doubled for Bond and Swann's (fake) hotel 'Palazzo Lucareschi'.

M6H4PWo.jpg

Fun facts: Palazzo Viceconte located 50 m from Piazza Doumo square (bike stunt jump) Plus many of the rooms in the real hotel have the same type of wall design as the fake hotel room set they built nearby.

With love,

I always wondered about this. Back when they were filming in Matera, I looked and looked (through online travel info) to see if other hotels had similar wall designs. I didn't see much. Good work.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Dutch cinemas have also changed the runtime from 170 to 163 Minutes.
    I read a good preview of Black Widow recently and it made the very good point that, given it's a prequal, we know she can't die so the stakes are limited. Tracy and M really can die so the stakes are very high (and we have huge empathy with Bond) but we all know that Bond can't die. Like the MP Black Knight, they can hack his legs off but "Bond will return" so I really hope they don't go down this route. We won't need a Royal Doulton Bulldog to know he's still alive.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I can't wait to see @Mendes4Lyfe's reaction when he sees that near 3 hour runtime. :P

Personally, I couldn't be more pumped for NTTD. Bring on April 8th!
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    patb wrote: »
    I read a good preview of Black Widow recently and it made the very good point that, given it's a prequal, we know she can't die so the stakes are limited. Tracy and M really can die so the stakes are very high (and we have huge empathy with Bond) but we all know that Bond can't die. Like the MP Black Knight, they can hack his legs off but "Bond will return" so I really hope they don't go down this route. We won't need a Royal Doulton Bulldog to know he's still alive.

I'm honestly sick of the "prequels sucks because you already know that the main hero won't die" criticism (I know you didn't say it and you're just reporting it, patb, I'm not arguing with you). Were people really expecting Bond to die when they watched any of the previous movies for their first time? Back in 2015 did people think that Bond would die? Or did they expect that when they watched Skyfall in 2012? Yet none of those movies were prequels.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 4,599
    No, they didn't expect him to die and they were right and there is no emotional pay off. I saw people openly weeping with the M death scene. And who does not get choked up with that final scene in OHMSS? The key to great movies IMHO is emotional investment and, to do this, a script has to have the spheres to back it up. We know this can't happen with Bond and we have seen the lack of commitment with the recent Star Wars "deaths". It's a genuine restriction re any franchise where the hero has to return and it's down to great scriptwriters to get around this. But "faking" his death for him to appear later is not an option IMHO in terms of creating genuine drama.
  • Burgess wrote: »

Maybe Nomi will get the keys to the batcave Chelsea flat like Blake at the end of TDKR. :))

I hope not. I don't want any corny winks to Bond being alive. If they kill him, kill him. As long as the words James Bond Will Return are present, I'll know he's alive.
    Trying to recognise that this is the last Bond of this era but not get too cheesy is a major challenge for the writers and I love the fact that we really dont know how they have handled this.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,834
    I think my personal take on it would be this...

Nomi drives off in a cool car after Norway, continuing as 007 in this era, not the next, after they find common ground with eachother during their mission, teaching eachother something or whatever. James Bond is either presumed dead or not, and either way, sends the bulldog to Moneypenny, with a little scene where she gets it with the MI6 regulars.

I really don't know what they're gonna do with Madeleine. I don't think she'll die, but the fact that this film will start with them together, will it really end with them together again? I know they're gonna be broken up for most of the movie but still. Is it really an arc if they just end up in eachothers arms again?
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited February 2020 Posts: 3,018
    "Another time to die gets new artwork as Bond and his making-of publications are back! NO TIME TO DIE - THE MAKING OF THE FILM by Mark Salisbury will be the first non-image based behind the scenes Bond book for twenty years and will be published in April 2020.

NO TIME TO DIE - THE MAKING OF THE FILM
    by Mark Salisbury
    Titan Books
    April 14 2020"

This lavish coffee table hardback takes readers behind the scenes of the 25th official James Bond film and reveals the locations, characters, gadgets, weapons, and cars of No Time To Die, with exclusive on-set photography, concept art, costume designs, stunt breakdowns, and more, accompanied by cast and crew interviews.

https://titanbooks.com/70201-no-time-to-die-the-making-of-the-film/
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 4,599
    Thinking about it some more, for his final scene to mean something (if its dialogue based rather than falling off of a bridge etc), surely, it has to be with someone that he cares about (but not another love scene) and the audience have a connection with? (I dont think the audience give 2 hoots about Mads). So who? Retirement for an agent means you disappear (you dont come back for an Xmas get together). So, if Monepenny knew it was DCs last mission, by implication, it would mean she would never see him again (putting us in her shoes, therefore - empathy) plus her character is free to show more emotion. (unlike M for example). Knowing 100% that you will never see someone ever again is a form of death. This would also work if we know that MP was also moving on (so we are saying goodbye to her too) - sorry to stray off topic a little but it's really very intriguing and pivotal IMHO.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,861

This is the money shot! Also, am I right in thinking this is actually footage and not B-roll? - @antovolk

kulOJZ2.jpg

I think there’s almost no footage in it; the BTS folk just film stuff really well on this movie (remember the Jamaica BTS video).
    "Another time to die gets new artwork as Bond and his making-of publications are back! NO TIME TO DIE - THE MAKING OF THE FILM by Mark Salisbury will be the first non-image based behind the scenes Bond book for twenty years and will be published in April 2020.

NO TIME TO DIE - THE MAKING OF THE FILM
    by Mark Salisbury
    Titan Books
    April 14 2020"

This lavish coffee table hardback takes readers behind the scenes of the 25th official James Bond film and reveals the locations, characters, gadgets, weapons, and cars of No Time To Die, with exclusive on-set photography, concept art, costume designs, stunt breakdowns, and more, accompanied by cast and crew interviews.

https://titanbooks.com/70201-no-time-to-die-the-making-of-the-film/

Ah great: I missed the making of books. What was the last? TND?
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Just pre-ordered! Is this expected to be like the past few books of Craig’s tenure? Like the one from Rankin?