ezgif-5-ec391b9af2d2.gif
    ezgif-5-53876a4ee725.gif
    ezgif-5-ec23ca840699.gif
    ezgif-5-17ae9f01cf73.gif
    ezgif-5-f0dadd40f233.gif
    ezgif-5-5df91be0f5fe.gif
    ezgif-5-0d20012764d1.gif
    ezgif-5-23e6e3ee5f70.gif

@Denbigh excellent! I love the ones of de Armas and Craig ripping the tie off :)
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    gif aren't showing for me. It just say "404 image not found".
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Same. Appreciate the effort though, @Denbigh!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,834
    Does this work @MakeshiftPython @CraigMooreOHMSS?

https://imgur.com/a/RJ6zgtX
    That's more like it!
  • JG007JG007 Manchester, UK
    I totally agree with quite a few people’s comments.

Cary has been a solid choice from what we’ve seen thus far. I think he has probably also made quite a lot of creative decisions with the fans in mind, mainly because he also is one! Which Jordo007 mentioned, it massively puts one at ease.

It would be excellent to see Cary usher in the next actor also as again off the back of what we’ve seen, NTTD looks to be exciting and really quite the instalment !!

The team assembled here for NTTD fills me with excitement and I’m literally wishing the next month or so to pass as quick as humanly possible.

Cary has been an inspired choice and the full ensemble but together for this film IMO is stellar and arguably the best we’ve had for a while🍸
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    I have many reservations about the series since CR, but I have to say I am impressed by the way Fukunaga, Eilish, and Zimmer have talked about their involvement in the series. They all seem to have enormous respect and affection for it in a way I don't believe Sam Mendes had. SF is a good film, no doubt, but to me SP always seemed to be a Bond film made by people who don't like Bond.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think Mendes was great with the history and patriotism of cinematic Bond (which worked in SF and not SP), while Fukunaga seems to be utilising the energy and spectacle of cinematic Bond, which works better for me.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Denbigh wrote: »

My man!!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,834
    Haha no worries @CraigMooreOHMSS, and completely agree @JG007,

I'd really love to see his vision for a new James Bond, but as it's been mentioned he does have a passion project on the cards so we'll see, but if things go well and he really has enjoyed the experience, I won't put it past him and Barbara having a chat about it.

If he manages to make something we've been following for over 10 years feel exciting and new again with NTTD like it seems he has, imagine what he could do with a fresh slate and an excited EON :)
  • Casting the next Bond is going to be near on impossible after the current golden era. Best Bond ever for me.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Everything looks phenomenal. Hopefully I will be able to see it in a theater...
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I wish they'd release these kinds of trailers in cinemas. I'd love to see that Cary video on the big screen.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Denbigh wrote: »

Top job my friend.

My anticipation for this film is still ascending, it looks so good.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I’m optimistic that this is a great one, but I really have to actually see this film before proclaiming Fukunaga as the saviour or hoping he comes back straight away. Certainly hoping for the best though.
    mtm wrote: »
    I’m optimistic that this is a great one, but I really have to actually see this film before proclaiming Fukunaga as the saviour or hoping he comes back straight away. Certainly hoping for the best though.

Exactly. The purpose of these videos is to sell the film. Until we see it and the dust settles, we won't know.

He certainly makes the right noises in that clip, though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,861

Exactly. The purpose of these videos is to sell the film. Until we see it and the dust settles, we won't know.

I think he does, yes, but equally it seemed just a short while ago that everyone was saying they just want a straightforward ‘Bond goes on a mission’ plot and they’re tired of all the ‘personal’ stuff, Fukunaga then describes about how his story is all about Bond’s place in the world and figuring out what that is, how it’s a race against time to save both the world and his new ‘family’ etc. ... and everyone’s saying how good that sounds! :D
    I know these aren’t necessarily the same people, but it is quite hard to take a reading of what Bond fans actually want :D
  • Love this video blog! Despite the mild anxiety attack when Boyle left, when they announced Fukunaga I could have done several cartwheels. Been a fan of his for years. This video just demonstrates his intelligence....love this dude

eC5UGan.jpg
    It sounds like Bond on a mission but in the style of the Craig films, playing to his biggest strengths, Bond going through his biggest emotional ringer since CR.

They tried to attempt that with SPECTRE, although they neutered what made Daniel's Bond so compelling and exciting.

Which led me and others to come to the conclusion that he was just going through the motions in that film, not phoning it in, its just that type of Bond isn't for him.

Whereas CF seems to get exactly what DC bought to the series and is playing to his strengths. Bond is bleeding again, this looks threatening, exciting, tense and bloody emotional.

I know some thought DC was great more relaxed in SPECTRE and they liked it but for me it just didn't work. That and some of the lines that sounded like they were trying to make him sound like Rog's Bond, "that all sounds marvellous, quite jarring really.

Just from the snatches of Dialogue we've heard of DC he seems to have gotten that energy back again, no I don't want him looking relaxed. That isn't where his Bond lives.
  • wetnellywetnelly Nearby
    I agree with the Mission Impossible threat comparisons. I’m guessing that whatever ideas previous screenwriters and Boyle had weren’t going to appeal to a fresh audience once that was released Including my 9 yo who loved that movie. One issue I have engaging with SP is that it takes place globally, but after the Visual fest of the PTS, it seems to be in a world with very few characters in it that actually count, or people you actually see. It’s literally a mass of henchmen Vs Bond and almost all major action which (apart from the PTS ) all takes place in the dark or very shadowy locations. Just look at the contrast of the Paris scene in Mi: Fallout, and then at the use of Rome & London in SP. Even SF had few comic touches and entertainment like in the underground Silva escape scene compared to the virtually deserted back streets of London and offices in SP, which just seemed to be Bond vs more henchmen.
    Pleasingly NTTD’s looks like a blend of Strong characters and inclusion of public and populated areas to maximum effect coupled with some excellent looking isolated locations but all shot with a tempo SP didn’t have. I saw the Cuba set at Pinewood. It was awesome and one of the largest I have seen any crew construct.
    I hope this turns out to be what it looks like, and from the tone and commitment Cary gives in that voiceover alone, it looks like Barbara and the Wilsons have their man for taking the series into the next decade. Am so excited to know I can offer my 9 yo son an awesome first cinematic Bond experience in prospect....and I’m guessing the mighty V8 once again meets its maker!
    IMAX tickets here we come!

I think he does, yes, but equally it seemed just a short while ago that everyone was saying they just want a straightforward ‘Bond goes on a mission’ plot and they’re tired of all the ‘personal’ stuff, Fukunaga then describes about how his story is all about Bond’s place in the world and figuring out what that is, how it’s a race against time to save both the world and his new ‘family’ etc. ... and everyone’s saying how good that sounds! :D
    I know these aren’t necessarily the same people, but it is quite hard to take a reading of what Bond fans actually want :D

I agree. I am trying to be optimistic. I am definitely in the camp of wanting to see him on a mission and ditching all the personal stuff, so I am one of those same people! But I am trying to see the positives, that's all I can say. I think that in Craig's incarnation of the character they have got a lot of stuff right, but also misjudged many elements of Fleming, and gotten a lot of things wrong. I suppose I am resigned to this current version of Bond being personal and emotional, and just want to see the best possible incarnation of this vision.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I’m not sure I can think of an action or adventure movie I’ve seen in the last ten to twenty years where the main character didn’t have a personal or emotional engagement with the plot. I’m not sure why anyone wouldn’t want that, really: it heightens the drama.
    I’m not sure I can think of an action or adventure movie I’ve seen in the last ten to twenty years where the main character didn’t have a personal or emotional engagement with the plot. I’m not sure why anyone wouldn’t want that, really: it heightens the drama.

As much as some want it, I'm not really sure you'll see Bond totally retreat from that idea. I think they'll pull back on how it has been very personal and emotional in this era.

Although I just don't think on Barbara's watch you are going to see the character played like it was in her Father's era.

Love it or like it, this is kind of her trademark, so whoever gets the job I don't see them playing it as flippant as Connery or Moore played it.

The intensity and emotion while unlikely will hit the levels of the Craig era, won't entirely be gone.

Those expecting such a thing are setting themselves up for extreme disappointment.

Bond just doesn't live in that kind of a world anymore. I imagine the next era will add another new element but Bond just being someone who goes on a mission and doesn't get drawn into it emotionally forget that, this is here to stay.
    Just throwing it out there, the way Fukunaga words it, the "whoever it is" that is stronger and smarter than SPECTRE isn't necessarily Safin...
  • Garth007Garth007 Missouri, USA
    FourDot wrote: »
    Just throwing it out there, the way Fukunaga words it, the "whoever it is" that is stronger and smarter than SPECTRE isn't necessarily Safin...

I do wonder if Safin is a leader of a cult like following.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Shardlake wrote: »

As much as some want it, I'm not really sure you'll see Bond totally retreat from that idea. I think they'll pull back on how it has been very personal and emotional in this era.

Although I just don't think on Barbara's watch you are going to see the character played like it was in her Father's era.

Love it or like it, this is kind of her trademark, so whoever gets the job I don't see them playing it as flippant as Connery or Moore played it.

The intensity and emotion while unlikely will hit the levels of the Craig era, won't entirely be gone.

Those expecting such a thing are setting themselves up for extreme disappointment.

Bond just doesn't live in that kind of a world anymore. I imagine the next era will add another new element but Bond just being someone who goes on a mission and doesn't get drawn into it emotionally forget that, this is here to stay.

I agree that it’s a Barbara-thing, when you look at her other produced films, an emotional character journey is important.

But in my opinion, it’s also just a thing in modern film making. Almost all current franchise films try to give their characters a character arc and an emotional weight. While Bond doesn’t have an arc in the original films, he does now. And I think that that is what the general public wants, in this era of filmmaking.

Star Wars was already very personal, Mission: Impossible got very personal for Ethan in film 3 and in film 6, Spielberg wants to make Indiana Jones 5 more personal than ever and give him more backstory, Top Gun Maverick is about Goose’s son, Batman got personal and emotional from Batman Begins onwards (and is likely to stay that way with The Batman), the MCU moved away from save-the-world stories to a gut wrenching finale with emotions…

It’s only normal that Bond jumps on that train as well. And maybe this will change when the public loses their appetite for personal drama. But currently, it’s a phase in cinema.

I agree that it’s a Barbara-thing, when you look at her other produced films, an emotional character journey is important.

But in my opinion, it’s also just a thing in modern film making. Almost all current franchise films try to give their characters a character arc and an emotional weight. While Bond doesn’t have an arc in the original films, he does now. And I think that that is what the general public wants, in this era of filmmaking.

Star Wars was already very personal, Mission: Impossible got very personal for Ethan in film 3 and in film 6, Spielberg wants to make Indiana Jones 5 more personal than ever and give him more backstory, Top Gun Maverick is about Goose’s son, Batman got personal and emotional from Batman Begins onwards (and is likely to stay that way with The Batman), the MCU moved away from save-the-world stories to a gut wrenching finale with emotions…

It’s only normal that Bond jumps on that train as well. And maybe this will change when the public loses their appetite for personal drama. But currently, it’s a phase in cinema.

This exactly correct. However, there are ways that Bond can be emotionally involved in the plot - wanting to save the innocents in the story, being angry at how genocidal the villain is etc. But the problem with the current phase is that he is the centre of the entire universe. The biggest threat to the world (SPECTRE) is motivate by a personal connection to Bond. Bond has taken 4 films to get over Vesper, when Fleming had him moving on immediately. That, to me, is a step too far.

Bond has always had hidden pain (even in Moore's films), there's simply no need to make it so explicit and the driving point of the entire series. His emotional pain is always there, like a scar. Making it something he carries around with him for all to see undermines him, Imo.
    Huge apologies for the triple posting of the quote. Laptop must have been laggy.
    Action films with a personal angle started becoming a thing as early as the mid-1980s. John McClane isn't just trying to stop the terrorists, he's also personally motivated to save his wife. The Joker isn't just a random villain that Batman has to stop, he's the man who killed his parents. Martin Riggs has to stop a bunch of dangerous drug runners, but he also has to cope with his depression over the death of his wife. That shift even happened to Indiana Jones. In the first two films it's pretty much straight up adventures with no real personal angle for Indy, and then for the third film Spielberg had grown into a filmmaker who required a personal hook for his films and that's where the father/son thing came in for THE LAST CRUSADE (and a repeat of that happened in CRYSTAL SKULL). Cubby saw how the landscape of action/adventure cinema was changing and that's why LTK felt like such a big departure from what came before and Mike & Barbara continued giving Bond personal stakes throughout the Brosnan and Craig films.
  • Action films with a personal angle started becoming a thing as early as the mid-1980s. John McClane isn't just trying to stop the terrorists, he's also personally motivated to save his wife. The Joker isn't just a random villain that Batman has to stop, he's the man who killed his parents. Martin Riggs has to stop a bunch of dangerous drug runners, but he also has to cope with his depression over the death of his wife. That shift even happened to Indiana Jones. In the first two films it's pretty much straight up adventures with no real personal angle for Indy, and then for the third film Spielberg had grown into a filmmaker who required a personal hook for his films and that's where the father/son thing came in for THE LAST CRUSADE (and a repeat of that happened in CRYSTAL SKULL). Cubby saw how the landscape of action/adventure cinema was changing and that's why LTK felt like such a big departure from what came before and Mike & Barbara continued giving Bond personal stakes throughout the Brosnan and Craig films.

+1