Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited February 2020 Posts: 11,425
    5'7" is pretty short!
    You're probably right about Pattinson and Batman though. I guess. A shame in a way as I think he might have been an interesting option.

I saw Hoult in Tolkein recently. First time I'd seen him in a proper acting part for ages. And I thought he was pretty good. Not an obvious choice I agree but my point is that Craig wasn't either.

According to this article Hoult was also in the running for Batman so he's clearly on the Hollywood radar for big leading roles.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1134616/Batman-solo-movie-Robert-Pattinson-Nicholas-Hoult-The-Batman-Matt-Reeves-Ben-Affleck/amp

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Getafix wrote: »
    5'7" is pretty short!
    A shame in a way as I think he might have been an interesting option.
    Hell yeah! You've probably seen how much I'd like him to be James Bond from the last few pages, but honestly, at least unlike most choices on here we can look forward to him in a different leading role, and one that isn't completely far off the character we'd like to see him play - and with Zoe Kravitz as one of the most iconic femme-fatales, Catwoman, I'll be very surprised if we don't get Bondian vibes from some scenes :D
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It may seem vague but I just don’t like Pattinson’s look .
    Hoult has real potential, especially with 5+ more years to mature.
    talos7 wrote: »
    It may seem vague but I just don’t like Pattinson’s look .
    Hoult has real potential, especially with 5+ more years to mature.

I know what you mean about Pattinson but I think he can scrub up pretty well. He's been working a gaunt, haggard, almost heroin-chic look for a few years but it's just that - a look.

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited February 2020 Posts: 2,541
    Picking variety of roles doesn't makes you a better actor, one has to perform in it and to be honest it has been pretty underwhelming. Let's face it the biggest reason he is selected for Batman was because he is popular and twilight made him popular, if we like those films or not is irrelevant. Hollywood usually picks they guy/girl with bigger name not the most competent one's (glad Barbara doesn't think like most Hollywood producers). Not many will admit but anyone can be a cape crusader behind the mask, the real challenge starts when you are playing Bruce Wayne. Funny thing i actually like fight Scenes in BVS and Affleck portray was more from comics which wasn't bad. Robert is bit pale for my taste. I realize i am in the minority here still we didn't had a good batman since Adam west so he can't really be that bad, i will definitely give him a shot being a fan of batman. His casting kind of reminds me of Gal Gadot, pretty but average. But he is still better than Gadot.

Craig and ledger weren't famous, neither do they had an image of pretty boy before they were cast so it's not really a good comparison imho.
    People keep saying you need to watch his indie films like they think that i haven't and yet i have over the last few years. Either it's light house,good times,high life and so on but yet to find something that scream bondian. I feel bond is far more complex than Batman. We will see what happens.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 1,661
    Height - or lack of! - isn't such a big deal. Elevator shoes can lift a man's height from three to eight inches. A 5'7" guy can be 5'10" with a three inch elevator shoe. The lifts are concealed inside the shoe - they don't have super high heels - so you can't tell he's wearing lifts. I've no idea how any man can walk in an eight inch lift pair of shoes - lol - would seem weird, but pretty much any short actor can look noticeably taller with decent height elevator shoes.

Lift shoes are a game changer for shorter actors and I think any shorter actor with real Bond potential would be wise to go for any audition wearing lift shoes. I'd say if there are any shorter actors up for the role it's imperative they wear lifts. 5'7" is too short to play the role but 5'10" or a bit higher seems fine. Craig isn't that tall, a bit craggy, people accept him so they will accept the next guy if he's around 5'10". I accept it's not six foot or more but we have to be realistic. If the guy ticks most boxes it shouldn't matter too much if he's a bit shorter.

I've no idea but it's possible Daniel Craig has used elevator shoes in his Bond films. If there were scenes where he wanted to look taller compared to other taller actors, it would make sense to wear them.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited February 2020 Posts: 7,976
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Height - or lack of! - isn't such a big deal. Elevator shoes can lift a man's height from three to eight inches. A 5'7" guy can be 5'10" with a three inch elevator shoe. The lifts are concealed inside the shoe - they don't have super high heels - so you can't tell he's wearing lifts. I've no idea how any man can walk in an eight inch lift pair of shoes - lol - would seem weird, but pretty much any short actor can look noticeably taller with decent height elevator shoes.

Lift shoes are a game changer for shorter actors and I think any shorter actor with real Bond potential would be wise to go for any audition wearing lift shoes. I'd say if there are any shorter actors up for the role it's imperative they wear lifts. 5'7" is too short to play the role but 5'10" or a bit higher seems fine. Craig isn't that tall, a bit craggy, people accept him so they will accept the next guy if he's around 5'10". I accept it's not six foot or more but we have to be realistic. If the guy ticks most boxes it shouldn't matter too much if he's a bit shorter.

I've no idea but it's possible Daniel Craig has used elevator shoes in his Bond films. If there were scenes where he wanted to look taller compared to other taller actors, it would make sense to wear them.

I would absolutely bet he has, and I seem to recall it being mentioned for QOS.
    His being 5’10” is , yes, I’ll say it, a stretch.

[/quote]

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    fanbond123 wrote: »

5ft 10in is UK average height for a man, so Craig was acceptable in height for Bond.

Actors like Bell and O’Connell are not suitable as they are far too short. Height does matter for the role. You can’t have the actor and Bond brand ambassador strolling down the red carpet looking more ‘Nick Nack’ than Bond with regards to height. Anyone who thinks an actor shorter than 5ft 10in I.e. shorter than average is deluding themselves. It’s not just about the role in the film, it’s about the international brand too. Bond isn’t a midget.

5ft 10in is UK average height for a man, so Craig was acceptable in height for Bond.

Actors like Bell and O’Connell are not suitable as they are far too short. Height does matter for the role. You can’t have the actor and Bond brand ambassador strolling down the red carpet looking more ‘Nick Nack’ than Bond with regards to height. Anyone who thinks an actor shorter than 5ft 10in I.e. shorter than average is deluding themselves. It’s not just about the role in the film, it’s about the international brand too. Bond isn’t a midget
    Risico007 wrote: »

Tom Hardy is pretty candid about his height, and no one really asks him about it anymore. Apparently Tom is 5’8. Tom Hardy is able to put on pure badassery with various diets and workout regimens: Charlie Bronson; Bane; the Kray twins; Tommy Conlon; Forrest Bondurant… these characters are larger than life. Considering his side by side with Christian Bale in The Dark Knight Rises, you’d have never thought Batman was four or five inches taller than his nemesis. Remarkably, Tom’s directors have always praised the actor for being able to simply “appear” bigger than he actually is through posturing.

However, Height does matter for the role. You can’t have the actor and Bond brand ambassador strolling down the red carpet looking more ‘Nick Nack’ than Bond with regards to height. Anyone who thinks an actor shorter than 5ft 10in I.e. shorter than average is deluding themselves. It’s not just about the role in the film, it’s about the international brand too. Bond isn’t a short and Hardy is I'm afraid.

A definite 'no' IMO.
  • Daniel316Daniel316 United States
    Yeah I don't see Hardy as Bond either frankly, not just his look but his acting ability and screen presence doesn't cut it for me personally.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 4,400
    Recently watched the trailer for Gangs of London. I’ve been touting Sope Dirisu as a talent to keep your eye on for a while. Boy can he kick ass - this trailer has convinced me that he’s a serious prospect for the next Bond....aside from Idris, he’s the only minority actor from the UK I can imagine playing Bond. If this show is as good as it looks, he’d be my new favourite.........

Some more Bondian photos....

sope-dirisu-attends-the-dunhill-prebafta-dinner-at-dunhill-bourdon-picture-id1094587234?s=612x612
    ffs
  • Daniel316Daniel316 United States
    Guess it's time for your weekly episode of "Pick the random actor to play James Bond" featuring your host Pierce2Daniel, yay...
  • Gustav_TrevelyanGustav_Trevelyan The Triskelion, Washington D.C.
    For the umpteenth time, Bond is a white snobby pretty-boy English guy. Stop trying to stir the pot. Your intentions are transparent at this point.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited February 2020 Posts: 2,541
    Miniature_7951f5_6688672.gif
    Recently watched the trailer for Gangs of London. I’ve been touting Sope Dirisu as a talent to keep your eye on for a while. Boy can he kick ass - this trailer has convinced me that he’s a serious prospect for the next Bond....aside from Idris, he’s the only minority actor from the UK I can imagine playing Bond. If this show is as good as it looks, he’d be my new favourite.........

Some more Bondian photos....

sope-dirisu-attends-the-dunhill-prebafta-dinner-at-dunhill-bourdon-picture-id1094587234?s=612x612

Yes. He would make a good Mr. Big I agree. As you can’t possibly mean Bond.
    Daniel316 wrote: »
    Guess it's time for your weekly episode of "Pick the random actor to play James Bond" featuring your host Pierce2Daniel, yay...

Ha ha! Well said.
    All I am hoping for is for some sort of immediate statement from Eon with regards to the future of Bond once NTTD has had its Cinema run and is available to purchase?
  • Trust me, anyone not sold on Sope Dirisu needs to watch that trailer. He looks bloody terrific!

Plus, Barbara Broccoli has confirmed that minority actors will be considered. So he's a legitimate candidate. (Plus, he's really hot)

He's only 29 and seems maturer.....he remind me of a younger Idris. I think he's a star in the making. Hopefully, he gets some traction soon. I have a feeling that he could very well be in the mix for something big soon. I would certainly be excited if he's involved in the Bond franchise.

sope-dirisu-attends-the-65th-evening-standard-theatre-awards-in-with-picture-id1184509584?s=612x612

110882913_Ali_two_trans%2B%2BYtkW4DzbCPM_hy4t4hQwrePHi_e1tpOIk75CAYQiDp0.jpg
    he remind me of a younger Idris.
    Is that supposed to sound like a plus?

edited February 2020 Posts: 5,131
    Trust me, anyone not sold on Sope Dirisu needs to watch that trailer. He looks bloody terrific!

Plus, Barbara Broccoli has confirmed that minority actors will be considered. So he's a legitimate candidate. (Plus, he's really hot)

He's only 29 and seems maturer.....he remind me of a younger Idris. I think he's a star in the making. Hopefully, he gets some traction soon. I have a feeling that he could very well be in the mix for something big soon. I would certainly be excited if he's involved in the Bond franchise.

sope-dirisu-attends-the-65th-evening-standard-theatre-awards-in-with-picture-id1184509584?s=612x612

110882913_Ali_two_trans%2B%2BYtkW4DzbCPM_hy4t4hQwrePHi_e1tpOIk75CAYQiDp0.jpg

Bond is an iconic white character and there is no reason to change history or Fleming’s creation. No.
    M_Blaise wrote: »

He looks absolutely nothing like Elba at all. Probably due to the fact that their African heritages are totally different. Sope descends from Nigeria and Idris from Ghana and Sierra Leone.

Flemings creation is a white character. So he's only a legitimate candidate in your mind.
  • suavejmf wrote: »

He looks absolutely nothing like Elba at all. Probably due to the fact that their African heritages are totally different. Sope descends from Nigeria and Idris from Ghana and Sierra Leone.

Flemings creation is a white character. So he's only a legitimate candidate in your mind.

...and Barbara Broccoli’s
    suavejmf wrote: »

Nope. Purely a passing comment to maintain a PC/ woke facade. It won’t happen. You will be proven wrong I’m almost certain. Also, I don’t recall Barbara mentioning Sope ever? So that’s definitely still in your mind.

I’m with Yaphet.....https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/film/2015/apr/08/former-007-villain-yaphet-kotto-says-james-bond-cannot-be-black.
    I wonder, given the distractions caused by some (not all) of DCs off screen comments (not a critique), that they will focus on the marketing/PR skills of the new actor as much as the on screen skills? How much is it worth to the brand to have someone who is a skilled and patient with the media? With that in mind, IMHO, it's more likely that they will choose someone who has a proven track record in this area rather than a newby who is not used to the media spotlight.
    patb wrote: »
    I wonder, given the distractions caused by some (not all) of DCs off screen comments (not a critique), that they will focus on the marketing/PR skills of the new actor as much as the on screen skills? How much is it worth to the brand to have someone who is a skilled and patient with the media? With that in mind, IMHO, it's more likely that they will choose someone who has a proven track record in this area rather than a newby who is not used to the media spotlight.

That’s a good point. But has Craig’s negative comments hurt the box office takings....I’d say ‘no’. In the past Brosnan and Moore were skilled with the media, but Connery, Lazenby, Dalton And Craig weren’t. So a mixed bag.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 4,600
    We will never know re Craig's comments but, given the global market and the nature of digital media: marketing and PR is far more important than it was back in the RM era. It's hard to put my finger on it but, lets face it, RM was a national treasure and much of this was because (beyond Bond), he was a lovely, charming guy. People became fans of RM aswell as fans of Bond. This kind of positivity is invaluable and, lets be honest, DC has never really excelled in this area. RM was a one off but I do think that they need someone in future who does a great job of representing the 007 brand at all times. They would be mad not to consider this skill set when casting in future.

PS Bond was a big step up for DC so he had never experienced that side of stardom. My gut says they will go for a bigger star who "knows the ropes" but it will still clearly be a life changing "step up" in terms of their previous roles. Trouble is, that really narrows the tallent pool.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 4,400

Nope. Purely a passing comment to maintain a PC/ woke facade. It won’t happen. You will be proven wrong I’m almost certain. Also, I don’t recall Barbara mentioning Sope ever? So that’s definitely still in your mind.

I’m with Yaphet.....https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/film/2015/apr/08/former-007-villain-yaphet-kotto-says-james-bond-cannot-be-black.

Huh? You have the actual producer of the films saying that minority actors will be considered and you have decided to twist her words to suit yourself?

If those are Barbara Broccoli's words, then they are her words. There was no report of her secretly winking at the journalist after making those statements. In fact, she's said it numerous times. Which probably indicates that she means it............I'm going to take her words at face value.

You might be with Yaphet (someone involved with the series in 1973) but I'm with Barbara (someone involved with the series in 2020 and going forward).

Whatever people say, Idris is still the best candidate. Just too old....I think Sope could be a good substitute if his career kicks off in 2020/2021.