NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

Very good performance at the Brits! =D> :-bd
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,247
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I have to confess, I've resisted listening to the song so far...coz I want to hear it with Daniel Kleinman's Visuals.
    I'm trying to do the same! I've failed with Adele (too famous, I've began to hear the song in a supermarket, then I've made a proper listen at home while I've been spoiled), and haven't bothered to try with Sam Smith.

I'm expecting to suceed with Billie Eilish, that will bring me back to the past Bond (lesser know) movies where I've discovered the song when seing the film for the 1st time.
    As a Billie Eilish's work lover, I think it will be a memorable moment. 49 days left!

Exactly....that's what am striving towards.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Sarcasm aside, the song IS great.
    Now you´re going too far.

giphy.gif

Maybe you'd rather have The Hoff doing the song? Hey, this guy made the Berlin Wall collapsing.
    What sad little world do you live in? Where I come from we have artists who make really cool music, there is no necessity to chose between two weevils.

Now The Hoff will feel deeply hurt. Weevil. You loath Hans Zimmer. You loath Billie Eilish. Fine. But maybe you should actually slow down your rants. It's a fact. Billie Eilish sings the song. And Hans Zimmer wrote the score. That's also fact. Oh, and I do live happy in my sad little world. Booze, pills and other drugs (E, Meth) do light up my personal sadness.

>:) 8-X >-) :-@ ~:>
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Booze, pills and other drugs (E, Meth) do light up my personal sadness.

>:) 8-X >-) :-@ ~:>

We never would have known.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Seeing the actual composer of the score being part of the title song is just great. The overall performance was insane, roll on April.
    Ryan wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    As they said in the GQ interview, they only got the PTS in script form, around 20 pages.
    First 20 pages doesn't necessarily mean just the PTS. We don't know how long 20 pages last in the film.

I think the rule of thumb is that a page of script is roughly 1 minute of screen time.

Obviously not always the case, but it would be reasonable enough to assume that they were given the script to the point where the song comes in (as I believe Finneas suggests). Allowing for some action taking some screen time, 20 to 25 minutes is a good educated guess for the length of the PTS. Even on the shorter end it's looking like it could beat TWINE's 14 minutes.

That’s a ridiculous length of time for the PTS especially if it involves romancing as well. The PTS should be short with something the villain is up to, then the music then Matera at some point.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited February 2020 Posts: 8,021
    I think it should be whatever it needs to be, not conformed by what came before.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 2,598
    Okay, but it is a little strange/out of whack having not only action but a romance too for over 20 minutes and then to cut into the opening credits. It would be almost like having pop up advertisements throughout part of the film. If they are going to have a PTS this long then the opening credits should just come right at the beginning of the film. I hope this romance/character movement isn’t really quick either in order for justice to be been done to the relationship.

Yeah, NTTD is a beautiful song but as I’ve said, I really think the part where the tempo quickens and Eilish sings higher should last longer. The chorus should be sung again “fool me once, fool me twice” in a higher voice accompanied by the whole orchestra. I feel like the song falls short. It’s a pity. Still, a lovely song.
    The thing I really like is all the collaborative work on this song and soundtrack. While the song itself may just be middling I think the way Zimmer will integrate it into the score will elevate the song and film. So glad we have someone who likes collaborating instead of the vain and egotistical Newman.
    Getafix wrote: »
    The thing I really like is all the collaborative work on this song and soundtrack. While the song itself may just be middling I think the way Zimmer will integrate it into the score will elevate the song and film. So glad we have someone who likes collaborating instead of the vain and egotistical Newman.

I agree. I think Zimmer is the saving grace on this song. His contribution to it will no doubt become more evident during the soundtrack itself, when the song will take on a whole new level as its weaved within the score.

My rankings for the Craig Bond songs are now -

CR - YKNM is one of the best in the series.
    SF
    NTTD
    SP
    QoS (just awful)!
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 2,598
    Yeah, I’m confident that they’ll be instrumentals of the song in the score. Looking forward to listening to the score when it’s released next month.

Well, Eilish likes the new film so that’s a good sign. ;)
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

I agree. I think Zimmer is the saving grace on this song. His contribution to it will no doubt become more evident during the soundtrack itself, when the song will take on a whole new level as its weaved within the score.

My rankings for the Craig Bond songs are now -

CR - YKNM is one of the best in the series.
    SF
    NTTD
    SP
    QoS (just awful)!

My ranking exactly 👍
    Always knew Hans Zimmer knew how to approach a Bond score....Coz Bond isn't just another action film. I even get the feeling Johnny Marr is the new Vic Flick.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 5,767
    TripAces wrote: »
    Switching on the radio I missed the announcement, but instantly recognised the intro to Gil Evans's 'Where Flamingos Fly'.
    Except that it wasn’t.
    It was instead the intro to Billie Eilish’s theme tune for No Time to Die. Perhaps others have noticed these remarkable similarities, similarities which do not end with the introduction. Further into the song a high point is reached by a melody strongly reminiscent of one in Sheryl Crowe’s Tomorrow Never Dies.
    But, the words and music aside, Eilish really makes the song her own by contributing the dirge-like quality of her voice. Doubtless the Bond producers had their reasons for considering Eilish's song a fitting theme for Daniel Craig's 007 farewell. For many Bond fans, though, I suspect it will remain a puzzle worthy of an Agatha Christie or Conan Doyle sleuth. Hugely disappointing.

I do, but the similarities are only in the intro.

Have you been reading these boards? Number one hit. Critical success. Most fans like it.
    Ah I see, so I know what´s good if the critics like it and it tops the charts! That´s what I´ve been doing wrong all the time!

And nobody can really say how many Bond fans like the song or not. These forums are no indication, and neither is the chart success.

giphy.gif

Maybe you'd rather have The Hoff doing the song? Hey, this guy made the Berlin Wall collapsing.
    What sad little world do you live in? Where I come from we have artists who make really cool music, there is no necessity to chose between two weevils.

Now The Hoff will feel deeply hurt. Weevil. You loath Hans Zimmer. You loath Billie Eilish. Fine. But maybe you should actually slow down your rants. It's a fact. Billie Eilish sings the song. And Hans Zimmer wrote the score. That's also fact.
    Yes, and because it´s a fact I am allowed to comment on it, like everybody else here is commenting on it too. This is a forum where people post their thoughts, positive or negative. If you read any of my posts in general you know I don´t whine over mere speculations, like some other individuals are in the habit of. I generally try to get objective information before I post comments. And now I´m in a situation where I want to enjoy the coming Bond film, my cineastic intuition (which was very correct already after the first trailer of SP) tells me it´s going to be much better than the last film, but objective information (i.e. the audible existence of the song) tells me I have to sit through an (IMNSHO) offence of a title song, plus the orchestrations of said title song strongly indicates accompanying sounds not to my liking and probably too loud to be ignored throughout the film. So go ahead and try to stop me from whining or ranting. While you´re at it, why don´t you tell everybody else to stop getting excited too? What problem do you have with an opinion not conform with the masses?

Or at least make comments that are really funny.

• edited February 2020 Posts: 11,425
    Always knew Hans Zimmer knew how to approach a Bond score....Coz Bond isn't just another action film. I even get the feeling Johnny Marr is the new Vic Flick.

Yes it's really nice to see Zimmer just embracing other artists and drawing them into the process. I find this massively reassuring. Arnold was brilliant at this when given the chance - CR is a great example. But Monty Norman sort of created the template with Dr No when he brought in Byron Lee for the Jamaican flavour. The Living Daylights is another standout example with A-ha and The Pretenders both making massive contributions.

I think the score is going to be really enjoyable for all us Bond nerds. Zimmer knows what he's doing and he seems to have a really refreshing lack of monster ego.

Yes it's really nice to see Zimmer just embracing other artists and drawing them into the process. I find this massively reassuring. Arnold was brilliant at this when given the chance - CR is a great example. But Monty Norman sort of created the template with Dr No when he brought in Byron Lee for the Jamaican flavour. The Living Daylights is another standout example with A-ha and The Pretenders both making massive contributions.

I think the score is going to be really enjoyable for all us Bond nerds. Zimmer knows what he's doing and he seems to have a really refreshing lack of monster ego.

Yeah, as big a Composer as Zimmer is, he's always open to collaborations....it just gets to show he must have looked back at old Bond Scores....knowing Collaboration is needed in a Bond Score for it to come out ontop. And Zimmer's a Composer who replaced a Composer & yet still Collaborated with the Singer & other Musicians & Composers....the other fella, was a Composer who didn't replace another Composer, and was also chosen very early in the production & yet decided to do his own thing. Can't wait for NTTD's Score....it's been a while we've seen so much unity in the scoring process of a Bond film. Zimmer asking someone like Johnny Marr to join him, means Zimmer knows what Bond is all about.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    There you go guys :) So good you won't want to pee or sleep.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Switching on the radio I missed the announcement, but instantly recognised the intro to Gil Evans's 'Where Flamingos Fly'.
    Except that it wasn’t.
    It was instead the intro to Billie Eilish’s theme tune for No Time to Die. Perhaps others have noticed these remarkable similarities, similarities which do not end with the introduction. Further into the song a high point is reached by a melody strongly reminiscent of one in Sheryl Crowe’s Tomorrow Never Dies.
    But, the words and music aside, Eilish really makes the song her own by contributing the dirge-like quality of her voice. Doubtless the Bond producers had their reasons for considering Eilish's song a fitting theme for Daniel Craig's 007 farewell. For many Bond fans, though, I suspect it will remain a puzzle worthy of an Agatha Christie or Conan Doyle sleuth. Hugely disappointing.

Have you been reading these boards? Number one hit. Critical success. Most fans like it.
    Ah I see, so I know what´s good if the critics like it and it tops the charts! That´s what I´ve been doing wrong all the time!

And nobody can really say how many Bond fans like the song or not. These forums are no indication, and neither is the chart success.

giphy.gif

Now The Hoff will feel deeply hurt. Weevil. You loath Hans Zimmer. You loath Billie Eilish. Fine. But maybe you should actually slow down your rants. It's a fact. Billie Eilish sings the song. And Hans Zimmer wrote the score. That's also fact.
    Yes, and because it´s a fact I am allowed to comment on it, like everybody else here is commenting on it too. This is a forum where people post their thoughts, positive or negative. If you read any of my posts in general you know I don´t whine over mere speculations, like some other individuals are in the habit of. I generally try to get objective information before I post comments. And now I´m in a situation where I want to enjoy the coming Bond film, my cineastic intuition (which was very correct already after the first trailer of SP) tells me it´s going to be much better than the last film, but objective information (i.e. the audible existence of the song) tells me I have to sit through an (IMNSHO) offence of a title song, plus the orchestrations of said title song strongly indicates accompanying sounds not to my liking and probably too loud to be ignored throughout the film. So go ahead and try to stop me from whining or ranting. While you´re at it, why don´t you tell everybody else to stop getting excited too? What problem do you have with an opinion not conform with the masses?

The whole point of the song is to create buzz. It has done that--from a popular and critical standpoint. That is a win-win. Big time. If you don't like the song, fine. That is your prerogative. But just like so many things that are openly discussed on these boards, one's personal taste doesn't amount to jack squat. I am reminded of a great line from Willem Dafoe in To Live and Die in L.A.: "Your taste is in your ass."

So just plug your ears during the titles. 90% of the audience will enjoy it whether you are listening or not.

Too many people seem to take it as a personal affront if the don't like the song. I think its good, but Im irrelevant in the grand scheme. Its more important lots of other people like it, are talking about it, and are generating buzz through Youtube etc

I think the producers couldn't have picked a better artist based on that, coupled with the timing of her own career exposure at the Grammys and Brits.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Too many people seem to take it as a personal affront if the don't like the song. I think its good, but Im irrelevant in the grand scheme. Its more important lots of other people like it, are talking about it, and are generating buzz through Youtube etc

I think the producers couldn't have picked a better artist based on that, coupled with the timing of her own career exposure at the Grammys and Brits.

Exactly. EoN have pulled of a blinder in choosing Eilish.

• DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    And to be honest: it's only 3-4 minutes of titles. If you're one of the people that truly despise the song, just plug your ears and enjoy Kleinman's animations.
    And if those are not your cup of tea either, have a pee break in between the PTS and the rest of the film. You're not missing anything truly important.

For everyone else, myself included: enjoy your opening credits.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Her Brits performance now has 7.1 million views :)

The song also has as many likes as Sam Smith's WOTW which was posted over five years ago.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 1,261

I don't have a problem with you diskliking Billie Eilish, the song and Hans Zimmer. Taste is something individual. But it is your ranting at other users for them posting they like the song on a personal level, I have a little problem with. You suggest, those people have no taste for music or don't have a clue, what music should be about. And you even say, that Eilish and Zimmer are no "artists". I would never go as far as to say, that Sam Smith is not an artist and does not know how to write and sing a song, just because I don't like the song that much. Same goes to Alicia Keys and Jack White. Both are indisputed great artists and good singers and composers, and I would never question that they are, just because I am not into AWTD.
    But never mind, I will ignore your postings from now on and recommend you to do the same with my postings.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    B-)

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    B-)

I love this :)
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 1,314
    @boldfinger. You’re worrying about things that haven’t happened that are completely beyond your control. Not a recipe for happiness.
    Except that it wasn’t.

giphy.gif

The whole point of the song is to create buzz. It has done that--from a popular and critical standpoint. That is a win-win. Big time. If you don't like the song, fine. That is your prerogative. But just like so many things that are openly discussed on these boards, one's personal taste doesn't amount to jack squat. I am reminded of a great line from Willem Dafoe in To Live and Die in L.A.: "Your taste is in your ass."

So just plug your ears during the titles. 90% of the audience will enjoy it whether you are listening or not.
    If the whole point was merely to create buzz they wouldn't put it in the middle of the film.

Already in this thread people have difficulty to tolerate one little guy who doesn't like the song. And you want me to close my attention off during a part of the actual film.
    Maybe it's a thing of this generation who get conditioned to pee breaks by tv shows. I grew up with and am very fond of the culture to watch a film from start to end.

Again: If you want argue that taste doesn't matter, then you have to altogether stop posting anything at all here.