EON's 'The Rhythm Section' (2020)

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Some films are hits with the public, in spite of critical reviews. Wasn't Capt. Marvel a recent example? Anyway, let's go see it and take a chance. I think I'll really enjoy this one, especially as I've read the first book. And I do hope at least one more is made. Time will tell, but I'm not down or "doomed out" by negative reviews. Not for this film.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Captain Marvel got generally good reviews from critics. It was user ratings like on Rotten Tomatoes that was notably low due to a surge of trolls down voting the film because of the film being "woke" "SJW", "feminist", etc. You know the type.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2020 Posts: 15,686
    Some films are hits with the public, in spite of critical reviews. Wasn't Capt. Marvel a recent example? Anyway, let's go see it and take a chance. I think I'll really enjoy this one, especially as I've read the first book. And I do hope at least one more is made. Time will tell, but I'm not down or "doomed out" by negative reviews. Not for this film.

Difference is Captain Marvel was projected to open at $150 million prior to its release.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/box-office-captain-marvel-north-america-1203158658/

The Rhythm Section was projected to open at $10 milllion. And this was prior to the reviews being available. This would have been just about the same opening as another female-led action flick, Peppermint. On a $50 million budget though, this is nowhere near enough for this film to make any kind of profit at the box office. A $4 million to $9 million opening weekend, this film will lose quite a bit of money for whichever studio funded this. It most likely will not even earn back its budget from its world-wide gross, let alone its US box office intake.

And before I get attacked: I am excited to watch The Rhythm Section. But we have to face reality that EON should have kept their mouth shut instead of hyping up sequels. Those are dead in the water now. I now hope that this film will be a one-off badass addition to the revenge action flick genre.
    I don't think they are dead in the water. Anyway, let's see it and enjoy it as much as we can. I'm interested in what members here say after seeing it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I don't think they are dead in the water. Anyway, let's see it and enjoy it as much as we can. I'm interested in what members here say after seeing it.

When the film is about to flop, it's unrealistic to expect sequels. But anyway, I agree, I hope the film gets release dates confirmed in more countries (including France) as I really want to check it out.
    I simply don't accept that it's about to flop. Anyway, we shall carry on. :)
  • I just watched Jeremy Jahns' review and it seemed pretty positive for the most part. I'm looking forward to checking the movie out whenever it comes out in my country, regardless of reviews.
    An opening of $6 million, the average multiplier for the action genre at the US box office is x2.5, that would give it a total gross of around $15 million. The budget is $50 million. Peppermint (the Jennifer Garner revenge action flick) managed a $50 million world wide gross from a $30 million intake at the US box office. So yes, it looks very bad for The Rhythm Section. It needs to outgross Peppermint's $50 million twice over to make the same profits.

I watched Jeremy Jahns' review too, I usually agree with him about action flicks, so this is good.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Sounds like one to catch on a streaming service or a plane. I'm sure it's watchable enough.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    @DaltonCraig007 did any franchise before this start off bad without making any financial profit?
    The reason i was looking forward to this because we might finally had a female spy franchise.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,548
    @DaltonCraig007 did any franchise before this start off bad without making any financial profit?
    The reason i was looking forward to this because we might finally had a female spy franchise.

I don't know if this counts, but The Silence of the Lambs was actually a sequel...to a film that did nada.
    TripAces wrote: »

I don't know if this counts, but The Silence of the Lambs was actually a sequel...to a film that did nada.

From what I can find online, Manhunter made $8 million at the box office from a $14 million budget. The Rhythm Section will struggle to make $30 million worldwide on a $50 million budget, and if it can even reach $25 million remains to be seen.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,548

From what I can find online, Manhunter made $8 million at the box office from a $14 million budget. The Rhythm Section will struggle to make $30 million worldwide on a $50 million budget, and if it can even reach $25 million remains to be seen.

Like I said: Manhunter did nada. LOL. But that wasn't exactly a franchise, and it wasn't a typical sequel either.

A closer example might be the Mad Max films. The original was a small, low-budget sci-fi / dystopian film that ended up drawing a cult following. It was anything but an international smash when first released--though it was huge in Australia. So it did indeed make a HUGE PROFIT. I don't remember though, if this was due to cult status and video sales, or actual opening weekend BO numbers. But it spawned two more Gibson films, with bigger budgets, and then Fury Road.

Nevertheless, someone failed to tell Blake Lively that her film is going to bomb. She's doing the circuit, and if her charm means anything at all, the film will perform better than expected. She's on The Tonight Show, with Jimmy Fallon, and is an absolute delight. And she's had nothing but praise for Babs.

I have no idea how TRS is going to fare. It's a mediocre film. But because of Lively, I hope it can do something.
    Sorry @TripAces I wasn’t disagreeing with you, I just wanted to share the numbers for comparison between the films mentioned in the thread . ;-)

Also: The original Mad Max earned $100 million world wide on a budget of less than 500 thousand dollars, and is one of the most profitable films of all time. So not a very good comparison for a movie that is about to not even earn back half of its $50 million budget.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Interesting, i guess we will have to wait and see if they will try to make a sequel which seems highly unlikely.
    Atomic Blonde in 2017 made $100 million on a $30 million budget, yet the only hope of a sequel it received is one made by Netflix. And that earned 3 times its budget. So for a film to only earn back half of its budget, it is not looking good.
    Sorry @TripAces I wasn’t disagreeing with you, I just wanted to share the numbers for comparison between the films mentioned in the thread . ;-)

Also: The original Mad Max earned $100 million world wide on a budget of less than 500 thousand dollars, and is one of the most profitable films of all time. So not a very good comparison for a movie that is about to not even earn back half of its $50 million budget.

Oh I know. I was using your numbers to back up my own sense of it.

Mad Max is a difficult one. I don't think it was ever released outside of Australia: you're right, it blew up the Australian BO. But The Road Warrior (aka Mad Max 2) was initially released internationally and had a lot of studio push behind it. I remember seeing The Road Warrior when it came out and had no idea it was a sequel. I didn't see the first film until a couple of years later on VHS. Very unique situation.
    This isn't really surprising that it may flop. The marketing has been a very minimal, maybe BELOW minimal if that's even possible. All indications show that Paramount had no faith in this film and dumped it on January.

Contrast to BAD BOYS FOR LIFE, which exceeded all expectations due to being dumped on January, being a sequel that was in development hell for 17 years, Will Smith and Martin Lawrence not exactly in the peak of their careers, Michael Bay not returning to direct, etc. The cards seemed to be weak for that film.

If THE RHYTHM SECTION had the same outcome as that, it would be the most miraculous January the box office has ever seen. I really doubt that's the case here. It's too bad.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2020 Posts: 14,861
    I don’t think it was ever intended to be a massive blockbuster though; just a modest thriller type thing. I daresay the plan for this one might even lean on the post-cinema release.
    Its original dates were February and then November, which are healthy time windows to make for a modest hit like this film. So for awhile it seemed there was confidence that this would do well enough on those dates, and then that all changed. I'm sure Blake Lively's injury and giving birth likely had something to do with the ultimate January date, but it also sounds like a PR spin using those facts for convenience.
    I still plan on checking it out soon
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    So it’s seems like EON tried to do the right thing by having the book author write the screenplay, but that clearly doesn’t always work... The important thing with films is that they’re well written and have authorship... the new Star Wars trilogy being an example of a committee mess. So why I would normally criticize EON for again producing something mediocre, at least there was an attempt to make it true to the source material.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Looking forward to seeing my beloved Wicklow on screen, all the same. Recognised a couple of spots in the trailer that I used to frequent.

A friend of mine was VAO on The Rhythm Section, and he said it was good set to be on, despite the delays.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,416
    I have understand Chameleon, Gemini and The Third Woman are names of follow up novels. Looks very intresting.

Mabey best release dat for The Netherlands and Belgium be 14 May 2020 or 25 June 2020. With May release date it can give NTTD a boost with showing a trailer and other way around. The Hustle (May 2019) and Yesterday (End June 2019) stil doing a very nice 2 and 2,5 million after 13 and 7 weaks. Yesterday get DVD and BD release, The Hustle don't whyle there is a UK DVD version avaible with Dutch subs. Both movies are promoted to soon and Yesterday was first pland to be released in February or March 2019.

Possible second movie, information about the second book:
    The target is
    Koba: a Russian criminal
    with influential connections, whose true identity remains a dangerous secret. From New York through Europe to
    Moscow
    , Stephanie tracks
    Koba
    . But in a game of betrayal where trust is weakness and violence is routine, one false move could prove fatal...
    At name and background of target in spoiler tags.

I can only find Dutch translations about two first books:
    The rhythm section: De ritmesectie
    Chameleon: Dubbellevens (Double Lifes)
  • My local Vue has had a poster for The Rhythm Section as you go upstairs for weeks and yet they're not showing it!
    Box office mojo has The Rhythm Section opening at $5 million, saying it could be even lower. This is very catastrophic for such a film. It is likely to earn less in total at the US box office than Peppermint grossed in its opening weekend. This film is sadly dead-on-arrival.
    How many people on here have actually seen it yet?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Getafix wrote: »

Seeing it tomorrow!

I would go see it immediately if it had a release date in my country, sadly nothing confirmed yet. It was listed as a late April 2020 release here in France at one point, but has since been scrapped. Doesn't bode well for the film with only 8 countries with an official release date. It is already flopping in North America, with minimal money coming from foreign markets.
    Looking forward to seeing my beloved Wicklow on screen, all the same. Recognised a couple of spots in the trailer that I used to frequent.

A friend of mine was VAO on The Rhythm Section, and he said it was good set to be on, despite the delays.

I did at a sneak peek