EON's 'The Rhythm Section' (2020)

Comments

• edited January 2020 Posts: 17,241
    Kronsteen wrote: »
    Just had a quick look; can't find anything about The Rhythm Section showing at all here in Norway. I see on IMDb that the release dates are "January 2020" for Sweden (no date), and 6 February 2020 for Denmark.

Sadly, that's incorrect. There's still no release date for Sweden... :(

Suspected that might be the case as there was no actual date mentioned. One would think this is a film that would see a release in all of Scandinavia though…
  • I do worry about this film. I want it to be successful - we all should - but it seems like it may suffer from under-promotion. I'm exactly the kind of person who should know it's coming out soon, but it's really flown under my radar.
  • This premiered yesterday in New York....still awaiting reviews. Still the the chance that this could be trash. We wait in anticipation. No matter though I will make the trip to the cinema to see this.

EPXfcIfX0AAZtBB?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2020 Posts: 15,686
    This premiered yesterday in New York....still awaiting reviews. Still the the chance that this could be trash. We wait in anticipation. No matter though I will make the trip to the cinema to see this.

EPXfcIfX0AAZtBB?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The fact that they talked about potential sequels, when the film is projected to gross more-or-less the same amount of money as 2018's Peppermint ($54 million world wide), doesn't inspire confidence. We saw the same sequel talks in 2018 with Peter Berg's Mile 22, another disaster.

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I will try to catch this in cinema. Looks exciting.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    A chance this could be trash? A tad negative there. ;)
    I've only heard Blake praised, the trailer looks great, it seems like a well made film and am really excited about seeing this. The news that they are looking for a couple more films, to make this a trilogy or whatever, is very good news to me.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The news that they are looking for a couple more films, to make this a trilogy or whatever, is very good news to me.

It will need to be a surprise hit for that. At the moment it is projected to gross $30 million at the US box office, on a $50 million budget, which is likely to not be enough to kick-start a franchise/trilogy.
    I think they will have at least another one. But I'll judge that better of course after seeing the film (whenever I can; I still don't know yet).
  • Hard to say, since this one didn't really have a clear run. Half the headlines about it are still "troubled production," "delays," and the like.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited January 2020 Posts: 7,999
    I've only seen trailers for this playing at features that were typically adult-oriented/indie fare, so it doesn't seem they were really trying to reach a broad audience with this one.

EDIT: Just realized it's rated R as well. Makes even more sense.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 17,241
    Still can't find anything about a release here in Norway. The only mention I've found from any media outlets at all so far in January, is a short fashion article about how different Blake Lively looks in the trailer. Not a single mention of any release date.
    No date for France either, but form what I read, it should be out on january 30th in Ukraine.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    When reviews aren’t allowed to be released it’s not the best sign
  • I was looking forward to seeing this, unfortunately my local Vue and Reel cinemas don't seem to be showing it, there are no listings for it on Friday or Saturday.
    Same here, it's not showing in local cinemas at the moment. It may release a bit late here. Knives out was released a week later than US here.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    My local Odeon have a few screening this weekend, so hoping to catch it. Three screenings a day on opening weekend usually means it wont be on for long.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Why Blake Lively Isn’t Trying to Be the ‘Female James Bond’ in ‘The Rhythm Section’
    https://variety.com/2020/scene/news/blake-lively-female-james-bond-rhythm-section-1203484534/
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,548
    DoctorNo wrote: »

I saw it last night during the press screening. So it was indeed screened for reviews.

It is an uneven film and can be confusing to follow. Reed Morano "over-directed" it a bit, stealing a lot from Steven Soderbergh's 1999 film, The Limey. But unlike Soderbergh, Moano's direction doesn't suit this film at all. She tried to be too art house in ways that are unnecessary. It's a terrific story and Lively is fantastic, so why not let those two elements do most of the work? Furthermore, it is a dark film. By that, I do not mean the theme. I mean the actual lighting of the film: almost every scene is dimly lit--perhaps another example of Morano trying to do too much to make the film edgy.

C+ / B-

(Unfortunately, I missed the car chase scene...had to run to the restroom. Grrrr!)
    Interview with Mark Burnell, screenwriter and author of The Rhythm Section
    https://novelpro.weebly.com/latest-news/interview-with-mark-burnell-screenwriter-and-author-of-the-rhythm-section

TripAces wrote: »
    DoctorNo wrote: »

I saw it last night during the press screening. So it was indeed screened for reviews.

It is an uneven film and can be confusing to follow. Reed Morano "over-directed" it a bit, stealing a lot from Steven Soderbergh's 1999 film, The Limey. But unlike Soderbergh, Moano's direction doesn't suit this film at all. She tried to be too art house in ways that are unnecessary. It's a terrific story and Lively is fantastic, so why not let those two elements do most of the work? Furthermore, it is a dark film. By that, I do not mean the theme. I mean the actual lighting of the film: almost every scene is dimly lit--perhaps another example of Morano trying to do too much to make the film edgy.

C+ / B-

(Unfortunately, I missed the car chase scene...had to run to the restroom. Grrrr!)

I still want to see it , seems fun
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    I would like to see this in cinema as well, but there isn't even a release date for any german speaking country yet. Hope i won't have to wait too long.
    That most likely seals the deal that those hyped up sequels will never happen. The film is set to lose money at the box office, so it needed good/great reviews to have a chance at being a surprise hit (or at least make any kind of profit).
    "The screenplay was written by the book's author, who seems to have streamlined it to the point of near-incomprehensibility. As the central character flits from one location to another, outfitted with an infinite variety of wardrobe changes, wigs and accents, viewers will be hard-pressed to know exactly what the hell is happening and why." - THR.

I was hoping this would do well, but it aint looking great.
    According to several reviews the film is terribly slow paced, mixed with a very messy/confusing script. Blake Lively seems to be the only positive aspect of the film.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 2,541
    To be honest i stop reading reviews a long time ago. I will trust words of our forum members than critics reviews these days. I will still try to catch it if it will release here.

With 3.5 million views on youtube trailer and film wouldn't even gross 50 million. I may be missing something :-?
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 5,185
    To be honest i stop reading reviews a long time ago. I will trust words of our forum members than critics reviews these days. I will still try to catch it if it will release here.

Same. I don't always agree with critics.
    It's interesting that they hired the original author to do the screenplay. Interesting choice. Didn't help them with the critics it seems.

@CatchingBullets sounds more positive
    Updated box office prediction seems to point at The Rhythm Section to collapse at the box office. It seems EON/Paramount have a major flop on their hands. What was a $10 million opening a week ago now seems to be around $4 million to $9 million. On a $50 million budget, this is quite catastrophic. Its direct R-Rated action flick competition, Bad Boys Life, is projected to gross $18 million on its third weekend, which could be up to 4 times bigger than Rhythm Section's opening weekend.
    Yeah, this sounds excellent - really looking forward to this film.