Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Isn´t all of SW made for kids?

It is but many still refuse that.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Star Wars... Vader kills someone immediately after appearing, violently choking and slamming them, the Lars get burnt alive for all to see, Obi Wan chops someone's arm off. I dispute it was initially just for kids, admittedly some areas of SW are childish, the Ewoks they eat people, there are some dark themes in these films. Anakin has a penchant for slaughter in AOTC and ROTS, there are plenty more examples.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Star Wars... Vader kills someone immediately after appearing, violently choking and slamming them, the Lars get burnt alive for all to see, Obi Wan chops someone's arm off. I dispute it was initially just for kids, admittedly some areas of SW are childish, the Ewoks they eat people, there are some dark themes in these films. Anakin has a penchant for slaughter in AOTC and ROTS, there are plenty more examples.

Darker themes don't always mean it's not for kids. My generation grew up on Spielberg / Lucas / Zemeckis / Donner adventure films, some of which are replete with darker themes and/or darker moments. Learning to understand them and cope with them is an essential part of growing up. Kid films that play things perfectly safe are easy to forget. It's from watching Poltergeist when slightly too young, or from seeing the face-melting in Raiders at an impressionable age, or from figuring out some of Marty's conflicts in Back To The Future that we can allow ourselves to raise the bar and take another step towards maturity.

Star Wars and Empire may have their darker moments, but the good-versus-evil logic and young hero's journey underpinning all of Star Wars form the perfect basis for a kid movie. In fact, those darker moments are probably the reason why we're still so fond of Star Wars in our adulthood. As kids, we loved the spectacle and funny bits and the little bits of edgy stuff our parents wouldn't have condoned in any other movie. As grown-ups, we enjoy Star Wars for some of its deeper layers combined with nostalgic appreciation.

I don't think SW is for kids nor not for kids. SW is for all ages, and that's probably its major strength.
    Yeah ok, come to think of it, Luke seeing his own face underneath Vader´s mask in TESB is not for kids. I stand corrected.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It was definitely aimed at kids, as Lucas wanted to recreate the kind experience he had watching Flash Gordon serials as a kid. However that doesn’t mean the same as being exclusive to kids.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.

Rankings:
    1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. The Last Jedi
    3. A New Hope

The others don't deserve to be included. I thought The Rise of Skywalker was absolute garbage.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Some amazing concept for Trevorrow's IX: Duel of the Fates. The leaker says more will come in the coming days. Those images are proof the leaks I reported here a couple days ago were totally legit.

Looks far more interesting than TRoS: Coruscant battle, Finn leading the Stormtrooper rebellion against FO, Rey with a double saber, Rey facing a monster outside the forest of Mortis, Luke blocking Kylo's lightsaber, Vader vs Kylo. Depressing.

MTYat4i.jpg
    G7ursXj.jpg
    CxrkL98.png
    eHfIq7x.jpg
    QZR2XJG.jpg
    yttT85c.jpg
    C1eKUIv.jpg
    PIzuzAC.png
    d8MTqpP.jpg
    VsEe2zJ.jpg
    SDs7zSb.png
    kx6XYkH.jpg
    FvvTeXu.png
    35753ee.jpg
    tIP2Pi0.jpg
    YsUaHaE.jpg
    kbkayka.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Emperor s Master would be fun to see.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2020 Posts: 23,327
    matt_u wrote: »
    Some amazing concept for Trevorrow's IX: Duel of the Fates. The leaker says more will come in the coming days. Those images are proof the leaks I reported here a couple days ago were totally legit.

Looks far more interesting than TRoS: Coruscant battle, Finn leading the Stormtrooper rebellion against FO, Rey with a double saber, Rey facing a monster outside the forest of Mortis, Luke blocking Kylo's lightsaber, Vader vs Kylo. Depressing.

MTYat4i.jpg
    G7ursXj.jpg
    CxrkL98.png
    eHfIq7x.jpg
    QZR2XJG.jpg
    yttT85c.jpg
    C1eKUIv.jpg
    PIzuzAC.png
    d8MTqpP.jpg
    VsEe2zJ.jpg
    SDs7zSb.png
    kx6XYkH.jpg
    FvvTeXu.png
    35753ee.jpg
    tIP2Pi0.jpg
    YsUaHaE.jpg
    kbkayka.jpg

Some awesome concept art
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 1,395
    https://collider.com/obi-wan-series-delayed-disney-plus/

Script rewrites seems to be to blame.
  • matt_u wrote: »

MTYat4i.jpg
    G7ursXj.jpg
    CxrkL98.png
    eHfIq7x.jpg
    QZR2XJG.jpg
    yttT85c.jpg
    C1eKUIv.jpg
    PIzuzAC.png
    d8MTqpP.jpg
    VsEe2zJ.jpg
    SDs7zSb.png
    kx6XYkH.jpg
    FvvTeXu.png
    35753ee.jpg
    tIP2Pi0.jpg
    YsUaHaE.jpg
    kbkayka.jpg
    These look really good! I know it's only concept art but it looks much more interesting than TROS.
    Ending with a shot of Leia that mirrors the first time we saw her would have been a nice touch. Shame that Fisher passed. I ultimately liked the shot with Rey and BB-8 watching the sunset.
    I must be the only one who actually dislikes these cheaps comebacks.
    "Want to enjoy your audience? Just remake an iconic from a previous movie and they'll all be joyous."
    Some of the Trevorrow draft and concept art put together of what we have already learned about DOTF...

Star Wars: Colin Trevorrow confirms Episode 9 script leak is real but corrects one plot point
    https://www.gamesradar.com/star-wars-episode-9-duel-of-the-fates-colin-trevorrow-confirmation/
    giphy.gif
    (almost all of it)
    I'll go back on my words, then. I'm very shocked that Mortis was considered to be used as the setting for a main movie, kudos to Trevorrow for actually caring about the lore instead of just making his own chrèche like a certain director did.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'll be damned. Most of what I'd read seemed too fanservicey to be real.
    I'll be damned. Most of what I'd read seemed too fanservicey to be real.

Nothing can be more fancervicwey than what JJ did. Two times, damn.
    As long as the movie is engaging, I can roll with the fan service even if I would have preferred something starkly different that Lucas might have had in mind. As far as I know, Luke's seclusion and the character of Rey (originally named Kira) were the only ideas that carried over from the draft that he wrote for VII.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 1,661
    Some great news in the Bond vs Star Wars franchise box office stats!

Skyfall has grossed more than Rise of Skywalker.

Skyfall - worldwide $1,108,561,013

Outside of the US it took a huge 804 million.

Rise of Skywalker - worldwide $1,046,183,140

Outside of the US it took 544 million, almost 300 million less than Skyfall.

ROS still on general release so it could gross more than Skyfall but I'm gonna predict/make a wild guess it won't. Another factor to consider Skyfall was released in 2012 and ticket prices were likely to have been a little less than 2019 so in 2019 terms it's possible Skyfall would have grossed more than 1.1 billion.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Not sure if this has been posted before.

So in other words, what´s missing is a prequel trilogy about Palpatine :-)).
    Some of that concept artwork is simply stunning!!! :-O
    Well since you insist. Loved Daisy Ridley in ST. Hope Eon comes knocking at the next film. Make her a villainess though.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Some of that concept artwork is simply stunning!!! :-O

Yeah... especially since there's a lot of missed fresh stuff in those concepts. Public executions in Coruscant. Stormtrooper rebellion against the First Order. Hux committing suicide. Luke's ghost hunting Kylo. Rey with a double blade lightsaber is a big missed opportunity.
    Typical Midnight’s Edge video I’m sure.
    Some new amazing concept arts are popping up for Trevorrow's Duel of the Fates. Confirmed that Plagueis was in the film and the legendary Mortis realm of the Force planet as well. Kylo with a new masks after being badly injured is very cool and the overall ship/planet design feels very fresh. Too bad we had just a bunch of rushed fan fiction... We can see also Kylo and the Knights of Ren approaching an abandoned Sith temple, a captured Finn working in a work camp on Coruscant (giving Spartacus vibes), Rey and Kylo facing off in the temple of Mortis. In the last draft Kylo was the one who killed Rey parents (who were working for Leia in his home) and Rey name was Rey Solana. The last two comes from the end, with a very creative interpretation of the famous binary shot and Rey training a new generation of Jedi.

rsc2hzf.jpg

v4k8xVn.jpg

496RFjY.png

OkmnyYr.jpg

kcAm1Oc.jpg

fauZpJ3.jpg

tlyCv3r.jpg

HRgksdg.jpg

dvpoesA.jpg

Mc1vyYo.jpg

GvIiDKR.jpg

AofG5nT.jpg

fftALYs.jpg

Cu3owmU.jpg

Imj71rN.jpg

ylRJwk3.png
    @matt_u some great images there