The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    As gorgeous as Lupe is she is not the brightest and gives Bibi a run for her money in the fickle stakes
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2020 Posts: 23,376
    Sanchez I think echoes Largo in some ways (torture scene of Lupe reminds me of the Domino scene)
    Sanchez is such a great character as even though he is misguided he has charm and a relatability regarding loyalty and respect.
    I would rather have action like this any day of the week in Bond film, rather than CGI enhanced murky looking crap. The actors in there pursuit of Sanchez are certainly getting involved
    'Hey observer you trying to get yourself killed' love that line, it's often fun when Bond is played down subtley by other characters it makes Bond's extra ordinary feets all the more rewarding and of course us the audience are always in on that so our anticipation of Bond doing something awesome builds.
    Bond just approached Lupe for the first time and not spoken yet, that's probably when she fell in love :))
    This score really has grown on me over the years.
    The coast guard helicopter really has presence in every scene, no CGI crap. Great touch when Sanchez plane lifts off, the right wing scraping the run way.
    'Time to go fishing' a young Christopher Nolan watches thinking I will do something similar in a film I make one day.
    Both Dalton films have superb parachute sequences, broad smile every time when they drop into the wedding. Then a superior title track kicks in from Gladys Knight, this is a really good film.
    LTK is great and always underrated, IMO.
    I saw it 11 times in the cinema summer of '89.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I only saw it once back then, and I certainly like it a lot more now. For me it was (like MR and QOS) a Bond film that I had to later put into perspective, in terms of where the franchise would go next, before I could appreciate its strengths.

I had my reservations about Bond not having an official assignment, but eventually I flowed with it and loved the various doses of Fleming sprinkled throughout.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    An expletive from MGW, in many ways this is the last true Bond film, so much incredible talent that had served the series for decades departed after this film.

Have fun with your LTK viewing everyone!

Agreed, in many respects LTK marked the end of an era. We’ll never know, of course, but I’ve always wondered if there had been a third Dalton film in 1991 whether many of the Bond *regulars* would have returned. Or, perhaps, it was just time for a changing of the guard. In any case, several of the long-time stalwarts like Maurice Binder (d 4/1991) and Richard Maibaum (d 1/1991) actually passed away before pre-production started on GE.

BTW: Lets’ not forget that Binder’s title sequence features Diana Lee (Hsu) who also plays “Loti” in the movie. Naturally, I know nothing about her being Playboy’s Playmate of the month for May, 1988 😉!
    I think Binder and Maibaum would have been replaced for B17 in '91. Maibaum was replaced for those early script treatments and Binder by that point was seriously ill.
    I have no doubt the cast regulars :Brown, Bliss, and Desmond would be brought back.
    The coast guard helicopter really has presence in every scene, no CGI crap. Great touch when Sanchez plane lifts off, the right wing scraping the run way.

Love that moment with the plane.
    One of my favourite parts of that pts follows.
    Dalton screaming at the others and shoving them in the helicopter to pursue Sanchez!
    Always thought they missed a trick by getting a money shot....there is a photo shot upwards of Dalton on the back of the plane with the helicopter above him, but it doesn't appear in the sequence. Still, a great opener to a great Bond movie!
    It's going up against TB in the 'vs' thread, I don't expect it to win, but I voted for it! (Not that there's anything wrong with TB!)

I saw it a couple of times myself at the cinema, I had many posters and memorabilia from than particular Bond film at the time, unfortunately all lost now.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    An expletive from MGW, in many ways this is the last true Bond film, so much incredible talent that had served the series for decades departed after this film.

Have fun with your LTK viewing everyone!

Agreed, in many respects LTK marked the end of an era. We’ll never know, of course, but I’ve always wondered if there had been a third Dalton film in 1991 whether many of the Bond *regulars* would have returned. Or, perhaps, it was just time for a changing of the guard. In any case, several of the long-time stalwarts like Maurice Binder (d 4/1991) and Richard Maibaum (d 1/1991) actually passed away before pre-production started on GE.

BTW: Lets’ not forget that Binder’s title sequence features Diana Lee (Hsu) who also plays “Loti” in the movie. Naturally, I know nothing about her being Playboy’s Playmate of the month for May, 1988 😉!

Interesting I did not know that about Loti lol
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Love that moment with the plane.
    One of my favourite parts of that pts follows.
    Dalton screaming at the others and shoving them in the helicopter to pursue Sanchez!
    Always thought they missed a trick by getting a money shot....there is a photo shot upwards of Dalton on the back of the plane with the helicopter above him, but it doesn't appear in the sequence. Still, a great opener to a great Bond movie!
    It's going up against TB in the 'vs' thread, I don't expect it to win, but I voted for it! (Not that there's anything wrong with TB!)

TB and LTK films both in my top ten, TB sometimes is my number 1 Bond film. LTK is one of those Bond films I get engrossed in from beginning to end, after LTK only DC's first 2 films achieve that with me.

I think I know which shot you refer to, Glen I believe thought LTK was his best film, I would agree and I think the tone helps with that from a directional point of view. I like Glen's other films though there is too much silliness at times.
    Done with work, took a nap and am ready for some Bond

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN

Last time i watched my more saturated SE DVD. Today it's the Blu-ray.
    James Bond Island, a bucket list location for many fans.

Marc Lawrence. Played a lot of gangster roles: KEY LARGO, HOLD THAT GHOST, etc.

Excellent Bond-less PTS, IMO.

I like Sir Christopher's jogging outfit.

Christopher Lee remains to this day my all time favorite actor.

Other horror icons like Cushing, Price, Lugosi, Karloff, and Chaney I tend to rank together equally (as I do the Bonds).

Titles.

I really like the title sequence for this film. Binder at his most naughty. I do like a bit of naughtiness now and then.

The song I leave to others.

Actually it's not bad and quite catchy.

I love M's FFS reaction after Bond notes the third nipple.

M is quite testy and irritable throughout this film.
    Saida.

I love Roger's "Bond, James Bond" delivery here.

The very suit Cubby poured paste on.
    I really love this dressing room fight sequence. Reminds me of THE SAINT.

Bond swallowing the bullet looked immensely uncomfortable.

We rarely see Roger bloodied up. Nice touch.

Time for a trip to the pharmacy then the head.

I love Q in this film. I concur!

Wonderful rendition of the Bond theme as 007 adjourns to meet Lazar.

And we get another "Bond, James Bond".

By this point he has equaled the number of times Connery said the iconic line in the official series.

Bond follows Andrea on the boat.
    Lowery omitted the strobe light effect in this sequence.

I personally feel they shouldn't have tampered with it. Not that it makes that much of a difference, I just prefer to see the films as they originally played in cinemas.
    Bond interrogates Andrea.

Of course he already knew about the third nipple making that information useless.............unless of course The Bottoms Up is a strip club and Scaramanga is performing there.

That line is pretty funny actually.

Sir Roger looks good throughout this film. I've heard some say this is the film he looked his best in. I prefer his LALD haircut just a tad more.

This film, for the most part does play like a thriller. Especially as Hip arrests Bond outside the Bottoms Up. That whole section is played straight.

We'll get to the fun and laughs later.

Scaramanga taunts and harasses Andrea. Maud Adams is excellent here looking extremely uncomfortable and Francisco gets his jollies by intimidating her with the golden gun.

Hands down my favorite Sir Roger era villain.
    Take Mr Bond to school.

Bond fights dirty and easily defeats his first opponent.

The fight with Chula is classic. Bond is getting his a$$ kicked.

CHULA, CHULA, CHULA!

The dive afterwards is great. Bond looks a bit overcome.

Time for some fun and games............

the nieces are funny. Hip is even funnier as he thrashes his opponents.
    Bond tosses the kid in the river. I love that bit.

The legendary Sheriff JW Pepper on vacation in Thailand.

Of all place in the world he just happens to be there same time as Bond.

Goodnight rejects 007's advances.
    I love the hotel room bit with Andrea.
    The famous JW chase sequence.

My favorite and most quoted line in the entire franchise:

This is Sheriff J.W. Pepper, Louisiana State POLICE
    Now you call my wife at the Narai Hotel and tell her I'm on a mission.
    I've been deputized!

I love Goodnight's reaction to that bit.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    DAD is so good for the first hour or so (less Jinx, Madonna and the quips), then turns so bad.

I enjoyed the first half when I watched it a couple weeks ago.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Bond interrogates Andrea.

Of course he already knew about the third nipple making that information useless.............unless of course The Bottoms Up is a strip club and Scaramanga is performing there.

That line is pretty funny actually.

Sir Roger looks good throughout this film. I've heard some say this is the film he looked his best in. I prefer his LALD haircut just a tad more.

This film, for the most part does play like a thriller. Especially as Hip arrests Bond outside the Bottoms Up. That whole section is played straight.

We'll get to the fun and laughs later.

Scaramanga taunts and harasses Andrea. Maud Adams is excellent here looking extremely uncomfortable and Francisco gets his jollies by intimidating her with the golden gun.

Hands down my favorite Sir Roger era villain.

I love Moore in this. Suave, cool and ruthless. Excellent performance 👍
    It was a very solid enjoyable viewing. I was distracted by life and didn't finish commenting. Still the film is quite fun, IMO. Enjoyable Bond adventure that has risen considerably for me over the decades.
    Woke up this morning in the mood for some Brosnan era Bond.

GOLDENEYE

Okay...........I'll admit it: I just wanted to hear LADIES FIRST again.

Amazing how many errands you can get done between the time 007 subdues the guard on the Manticore , and the Tanner/M/Bond section.
    I had time to breakfast, shower, dress and tend to my quiff so it looks just like Pierce's here.

Joking aside I'm at the legendary M scene.

Anytime some tries to tell me off I like to respond with "Point taken" in my best Pierce voice.
    I do miss the Brosnan era, though the quality of his films are debatable. There was a sense that Bond was indeed back and here to stay after the 6 year gap.
    My current feeling with the latest gap is that Bond is back, but can only stay a few minutes.

I certainly hope MGM/Universal, Netflix, Apple or who ever ends up financing Bond fast tracks the next era.

The Q scene. Painfully obvious Desmond is reading his lines.

That's okay as far as I'm concerned. Jack Webb had all his actors simply read lines on DRAGNET and it worked for him. Then again, that was a very stylized direction.

I saw one screening of this film when the microphone was visible during the "Don't touch that! That's my lunch!" shot.

Jack Wade comes across like an A hole.

Time to teach him some manners............in which Brosnan does beautifully.

Pierce looks astonishing in this film. Although many claim Craig is the best dressed Bond I'd give that award to Pierce.
    I had a friend, who in 1995 kind of looked like Boris. Exact same haircut, glasses, and dressed similar.
    He hated GOLDENEYE. The only real debate we ever had.
    About 15 years later he found a girlfriend who apparently forbid him from hanging out with his old friends and I never heard from him again.
    I really love the St Peterburg section of this film. Zukovsky is great. The look of this section of the film I find appealing. Wonderful colors, palette and lighting. Also Pierce is smartly dressed throughout.
    Pierce reminds me of Ian Ogilvy's version of Simon Templar. Maybe it's his build and hair length?
    I love the interrogation scene and escape. Though I must say this film is rather leisurely paced and feels somewhat confined.