No Time to Die production thread

Comments

Red_Snow wrote: »

Finneas has revealed that he and Billie Eilish were not 'approached' to write the theme song, but fought it our for a year before being chosen.

“The songs in the James Bond franchise have always been significant in their own right, even down to ‘Live and Let Die’ and ‘Goldfinger’ and then through to ‘Skyfall’ and ‘You Know My Name’ by Chris Cornell and ‘Another Way to Die’ by Jack White and Alicia Keys. Those are songs that have bore real importance to our songwriting lives for years. It’s much deeper than just kind of going ‘this seems like a good opportunity’ you know what I mean? We really wanted to do it. It’s like a dream come true to us. … Again, (I) can’t iterate, over-iterate … we just feel so lucky to be a part of it. We’re just pumped. I can’t wait for everybody to hear the song.”

That makes me feel pretty good. It’s interesting that they competed for the song. Hopefully, the best song won. I wonder who else developed demos.
  • RC7RC7
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Ryan wrote: »

Finneas has revealed that he and Billie Eilish were not 'approached' to write the theme song, but fought it our for a year before being chosen.

I like that. Clearly they truly wanted to do it.
    As would a lot of people. Absolutely no indication of suitability.

The fact they had to prove their suitability is the positive to be taken here. They (particularly he) show reverence for the franchise and a real willingness to make this work. I don’t recall getting that vibe from Smith beyond the usual platitudes. There’s little more you can ask for.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    RC7 wrote: »

The fact they had to prove their suitability is the positive to be taken here. They (particularly he) show reverence for the franchise and a real willingness to make this work. I don’t recall getting that vibe from Smith beyond the usual platitudes. There’s little more you can ask for.

I agree. It also shows that they were chosen for their potential rather than just simply because of Eilish's current popularity. Her popularity helps of course, but it sounds like that wasn't their only consideration which I think bodes well for the song.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    edited January 2020 Posts: 1,329
    Smith’s comment about taking half an hour to write WOTW was a sickener.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

+1
    Walecs wrote: »

+1

+2
  • ConnorConnor UK
    DCisared wrote: »

Really showed too. Genuinely a terrible song with terrible composition and everything. He's overrated.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2020 Posts: 7,518
    Connor wrote: »

Really showed too. Genuinely a terrible song with terrible composition and everything. He's overrated.

I remember Smith also complaining about having to sing it because it was “too high” (I think this was on Graham Norton); you wrote the damn thing! Don’t play it again, Sam.

(Full disclosure: I actually don’t mind the song, but I couldn’t resist :P)
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 3,164
    The Latvian distributor for the film Forum Cinemas appears to be also reporting the 174 minute runtime...before today they previously had 1 mins as a placeholder.
    http://www.uzkino.lv/event/302539/title/nav_laiks_mirt/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I remember Smith also complaining about having to sing it because it was “too high” (I think this was on Graham Norton); you wrote the damn thing! Don’t play it again, Sam.

But then Smith was the 'first openly gay man to win an Oscar', so it's okay
    :D
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium

He probably thought he’d only have to sing the song once while recording, and then never again. :) Besides the Graham Norton Show and the Oscars, has he actually sung it live?

Total aside, but I like it when singers include their Bond songs in their set lists. Paul McCartney being the perfect example for this. And I loved it when Adele included hers in her 25 tour.
    mtm wrote: »

So what?
  • echoecho 007 in New York

So what?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/feb/29/dustin-lance-black-sam-smith-oscars-faux-pas-gay-winners
  • RyanRyan Canada

He probably thought he’d only have to sing the song once while recording, and then never again. :) Besides the Graham Norton Show and the Oscars, has he actually sung it live?

Total aside, but I like it when singers include their Bond songs in their set lists. Paul McCartney being the perfect example for this. And I loved it when Adele included hers in her 25 tour.

Duran Duran and a-ha too. Both bands have their respective songs as set list staples so they're great examples as well. Chris Cornell also frequently performed YKMN at his solo shows.

Seeing Live and Let Die as the climax of McCartney's show here in Vancouver a few months ago was sublime. What an incredible experience.
    echo wrote: »

So what?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/feb/29/dustin-lance-black-sam-smith-oscars-faux-pas-gay-winners
    Again, what's your point?

So what?

I think he was just pointing out that Smith claimed to be the first openly gay Oscar winner when he wasn't, while we were all having a go at Writing's on the Wall. Probably not very relevant, but easy to see why the comment was made.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

So what?

I think he was just pointing out that Smith claimed to be the first openly gay Oscar winner when he wasn't, while we were all having a go at Writing's on the Wall. Probably not very relevant, but easy to see why the comment was made.

Indeed. It seemed to be tongue-in-cheek
    Getafix wrote: »
    Craig has a good voice. It struck me watching the interview that we rarely hear him just talking normally. He plays Bond as so tense and up tight. Would be nice if he could bring more of himself to TNND.

Lashana comes across very well. I don't think we need to be too worried about her. And Remi has this weird authority/charisma. I think he will be a good villain. Looking forward to it.
    My saying all along that Craig should talk more. He talks brilliantly in Layer Cake.

He looks relaxed and seems to be enjoying himself in the intervew. Have we ever seen him play Bond like that?

He's a big Steve McQueen fan I think and channels that into his Bond. McQueen famously slashed his own lines to the absolute minimum. Not sure it's the right approach for Bond but a bit late now to change.
    Craig has a good voice. It struck me watching the interview that we rarely hear him just talking normally. He plays Bond as so tense and up tight. Would be nice if he could bring more of himself to TNND.

Lashana comes across very well. I don't think we need to be too worried about her. And Remi has this weird authority/charisma. I think he will be a good villain. Looking forward to it.
    My saying all along that Craig should talk more. He talks brilliantly in Layer Cake.

He looks relaxed and seems to be enjoying himself in the intervew. Have we ever seen him play Bond like that?

He's a big Steve McQueen fan I think and channels that into his Bond. McQueen famously slashed his own lines to the absolute minimum. Not sure it's the right approach for Bond but a bit late now to change.

Great tidbit about McQueen, and cool that he did that. Want to watch more of his stuff; I’d love to watch Le Mans if I can track down a copy somewhere.
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    Bond, as the literary character, never really struck me as a conversational type of guy. I guess I’m so used to Connery and Moore’s performances in the films that, I don’t know, the dialogue works better. Also helps that the scripts back then weren’t lazily handled, too.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 3,157

So what?

Yeah, I just didn't get how that was any relevant.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 11,425
    Bond, as the literary character, never really struck me as a conversational type of guy. I guess I’m so used to Connery and Moore’s performances in the films that, I don’t know, the dialogue works better. Also helps that the scripts back then weren’t lazily handled, too.

Many people have commented on it but we've rarely seen Craig looking relaxed and enjoying himself during his entire run. Just seems a real shame. Would have been nice to see him calm, confident, enjoying female company and a good bottle of wine. I suppose there were brief glimpses in CR - like the train scene with Vesper- but that was more flirtatious. Maybe we will get it with NTTD but the pacing of the Craig films has tended to be action: angst : action ad infinitum.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

So what?

Yeah I loved how he wasn’t even the first to win that particular Oscar! :D

So what?

Yeah, I just didn't get how that was any relevant.

We’re poking a bit of fun at Smith; nothing nasty. It’s a sort of a joke :)

There wouldn´t be any harm in going back to a CR level.
  • duke_togoduke_togo france
    There's a rumour that Bpnd will fight with a bear in NTTD like Leo in "The Revenant", hope it's not true...
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 1,081
    Fukunaga has just posted an interesting story with Hans Zimmer on Instagram. Go watch. You can see a Matera scene in the background. Hear odd music. Zimmer talks saying they can create something more interesting than what has previously been.
  • James_StJohnSmytheJames_StJohnSmythe Twitter: @J_StJS /// https://www.instagram.com/james_st_john_smythe/
    edited January 2020 Posts: 21
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine

Seems like they put score on a scene with Bond coming to reality after explosion in graveyard.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 4,400
    antovolk wrote: »
    The Latvian distributor for the film Forum Cinemas appears to be also reporting the 174 minute runtime...before today they previously had 1 mins as a placeholder.
    http://www.uzkino.lv/event/302539/title/nav_laiks_mirt/

This is interesting….

I think Eon are obviously prepping exhibitors that the film will be looooooooooooooooooong.

I think past examples of Hollywood tentpoles that may be good indicators of length are as follows:
    1. The Dark Knight Rises: 165 minutes
    2. Interstellar: 169 minutes
    3. It Chapter Two: 169 minutes
    4. Blade Runner 2049: 163 minutes

On this basis, I think it’s likely that NTTD will come in around 163-169 minutes. If the film is really near to 174 minutes (with credits), I think CJF should keep cutting. That kinda runtime is enticing to me as a fan, but to general audiences it keeps like a chore. He only needs to trim another 5-10 minutes to make a justifiable argument.

Unlike, @antovolk I do not believe this is an Avengers: Endgame situation. That film already had a $2 billion audience in waiting after Infinity War. Marvel have a very captive audience who binge the 2/3 releases they put out a year. Bond is a little more bespoke and (evidently) less frequent in its output. People knows the Marvel side characters, however audiences are already struggling to recall who Madeleine Swann is…..the first trailer was basically designed to remind people to re-watch Spectre (or at least read the Wiki).