The James Bond Movie Trivia Quiz

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Thank you very much, @Tokoloshe2. I'll take me a bit of time to think of the next.

(By the way, I kept wondering if Lenya and Cowles were really the only ones. A random check taught me that Roland Culver, who played the Home Secretary in TB, was born 31 August 1900. Strictly mathematically speaking, this is also still the 19th century. Just like many people pointed out correctly that the current "millennium" really only started on 1st January 2001, not 2000.)
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Tokoloshe2 wrote: »
    You are correct - the actors Lotte Lenya and Denis Cowles are the only two people to appear in Bond films who were born in the 19th century. Well done sir.

The machine-gun granny in GF looks older than 64.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 8,657
    Yeah, that's why I checked her too. Varley Thomas, born 29 November 1901, Wandsworth, Surrey. As a special treat for you, her role is defined as "Swiss Gatekeeper".

Oh yes, and about looking a certain age: Richard Vernon, who played Colonel Smithers in Goldfinger and looks like about 60 to me (which is why I checked his birth date too), was just 39 when the movie was released.
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    Yes it's really hard to believe the Col. Smithers actor was 39! His grey hair (what's left of it) makes him look at least 50, probably older.
    OK, here's the next question. I apologise for prioritising Christmas and New Year's Eve celebrations in the meantime.

Within less than two years (date of release), a certain famous director, who did much of his work in Hollywood, made two films, each of which featured in a primary or supporting role an actor (m/f) who is by now known as a Bond villain or henchperson.

Who is the director...and obviously, who are the actors (just to clarify, they are two different persons. Not the same in both movies.)
  • Bryan Singer... he gave us Famke Janssen as Lady Jane Grey in X-Men and best of all, Rami Malek as Safin, for which he will nab another Oscar nod :)

Interetsingly, Singer himself vanished after controversy in 2019.
    I was afraid something I didn't know would come up, but it's not who I aimed at. Rather a while back...
  • Martin Scorsese - Joe Don Baker was in Cape Fear (1991), and Jonathan Pryce was in The Age of Innocence (1993).
    No, not that one either. To be more precise: The first release of those two movies was in two subsequent calendar years, and each came out before the respective actor's Bond film.
    Bump...
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    I feel Hitchcock must have used Bond actors on several occasions. Obviously Sean was in Marnie and I know Karin Dor was in Topaz, but that came after her appearance in YOLT, maybe it rings a bell for someone else?
    Then of course Sean was definitely neither a villain nor a henchperson in Bond movies.
    OK, yet another hint: The director in question also made a really famous movie (neither of the two in the original question) in which yet another actor who much later portrayed a certain Bond villain played a murderer. Music by a Scandinavian composer played a certain role in that movie.
    All right, the director is Fritz Lang, the movie is M, and the actor who became a Bond villain (the first Bond villain, in fact) is Peter Lorre. And the two movies are The Tiger of Eschnapur with Luciana Paluzzi, and The Thousand Eyes of Doctor Mabuse with Gert Fröbe.
    Congratulations, @Gerard! Spot on. Your turn, please.

As for the Scandinavian composer, Lorre's child killer in M keeps whistling the tune of "In the Hall of the Mountain King" from Edvard Grieg's Peer Gynt, arguably the first leitmotif in talkies.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 5,772
    I don't know if this one has been posted before, but here goes : What is the common link between DN, LALD and SP ? That one should be really easy.
    Gerard wrote: »
    I don't know if this one has been posted before, but here goes : What is the common link between DN, GF and SP ? That one should be really easy.

James Bond is in in it??? (SCNR)
    Sorry, I mixed up the movies. So I ask again : What is the common link between DN, LALD and SP ?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    We see James Bonds apartment?
    Exactly ! Your turn, Benny.
    Concerning James Bond, what makes YOLT unique?

(Should be fairly easy)
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    He never drives anything himself?
    This is in essence true, however not the answer I'm looking for @goldenswissroyale
    The only time he wears a disguise/make up to change his appearance?
    Still not what I'm thinking of, and I guess you could include OP in the disguise department...twice nay thrice!
    Moustache in the PTS, gorilla suit, clown.
    Keep guessing. ;)
    Oh ye, that was a particularly poor attempt on my behalf!
    Not really @Max_The_Parrot, it only occurred to me that he disguises himself three time in OP after your guess. Me thinks it wont be long before someone cracks this one.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 503
    ­The only time he has someone pretend to be his wife?
    Bond wrote: »

Not what I’m looking for. Also LALD and TSWLM would also fall into the fake wife category would it not?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Benny wrote: »
    Bond wrote: »

Not what I’m looking for. Also LALD and TSWLM would also fall into the fake wife category would it not?

and CR.