What do you want from Billie Eilish's NTTD's title song?

Comments

• cwl007cwl007 England
    Don't know if this is controversial or not but...
    Of all the ingredients that make a Bond film and of all the new bits of build up I look forward to, the title song and artist is very low down for me. Honestly I couldn't give a toss who gets it.
    If it's an artist or song that I like, great, that's a bonus. If it's not, meh, it contributes only about 2 minutes of the whole watching experience, if it's shit I fast forward past it on the DVD
    re-watches (don't I Sam smith) and I never have to listen to the song ever again if I don't want to.
    If EON choose an on trend artist to appeal to a newer demographic and in the process that helps to promote the film then that's fantastic. But they don't need to rely on that to hook me so I just don't care who sings the song. I think I've felt this way since the title and score became very different entities after The John Barry era. When he had a huge involvement in both I felt differently towards this part of the experience.
    (To be clear I'm only talking about title song, not the film's score, that's a different matter)
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Oldsters freaking out over the youth never gets old.

Elvis was the devil incarnate, with his hips and black sounding voice, let us not forget.

Anyway. Looked up Billie Eilish. Her music isn't my cup of tea. But Billie does have something about her. With the right song she could do well. Certainly an unusual choice.

What I would ideally want from Eilish's song, would be a hummable melody, that is woven into the score effectively and with emotion.
    Walecs wrote: »
    Am I the only one who is troubled when these “kids” sing about Lucifer and Satan?? And then people wonder why the world is nuts today and why so many tragedies happen involving young people. What’s the point of a song like “All Good Girls Go To Hell”? When you sing songs like this you basically make a conscious choice to sell your soul to the devil. It would make my skin crawl to sing some of those lyrics that she sings. “My Lucifer is lonely”. Really??? What compels people today to sing stuff like this??? Nothing more optimistic and positive to sing about? And then we have all these teen suicides rising at such an alarming rate!!! People say “he or she must have been battling demons”. Well, of course! They dedicate their life to these demons.

I’m sorry for this aside but I have a hard time feeling positive about someone like this joining our franchise. Bond singers used to have class. Where is Dame Shirley Bassey?

Hope you realise that
    1. They're just songs
    2. Lucifer does not exist
    3. Suicides are rising because boomers left the world in a decay as they overpopulated it, destroyed it with pollution and global warming, created ineffective educational systems, put too much pressure on their children and broke the economical system.

Lmao. Brilliant. But seriously, every generation (generally speaking) turns their nose up at the arts, culture, music and general worldview of the generation behind them. That being said, everyone is entitled to their own taste—except those that don’t like Bond :-)—but I believe that art has objective and universal qualities. I think it’s important that we are all aware of our own biases, and work to be more inquisitive and open. You don’t have to sacrifice personal taste when recognizing that the taste of others also has merit.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 646
    @ringfire211 you take things too seriously sometimes.
    Yes certain things in life should be taken VERY seriously. Why does a 17/18 year old have black blood coming out of her eyes, as in some of the pics I saw of her? Earrings in lips and nose? Chains all around her neck?? The song lyrics she sings? I’m sorry but that is not normal. Some may call it self-expression. But I certainly would never wish for anyone’s kid daughter to “express” herself that way.

The tragedy is that the industry pushes forth this type of “self-expression” in these young kids who are often too young to know any better. Because it’s edgy and provocative and sells!!! And it’s all about the buck at the end of the day. Never mind the internal damage it causes to these young “artists”.

Am I the only one who is troubled when these “kids” sing about Lucifer and Satan?? And then people wonder why the world is nuts today and why so many tragedies happen involving young people. What’s the point of a song like “All Good Girls Go To Hell”? When you sing songs like this you basically make a conscious choice to sell your soul to the devil. It would make my skin crawl to sing some of those lyrics that she sings. “My Lucifer is lonely”. Really??? What compels people today to sing stuff like this??? Nothing more optimistic and positive to sing about? And then we have all these teen suicides rising at such an alarming rate!!! People say “he or she must have been battling demons”. Well, of course! They dedicate their life to these demons.

I’m sorry for this aside but I have a hard time feeling positive about someone like this joining our franchise. Bond singers used to have class. Where is Dame Shirley Bassey?

Hope you realise that
    1. They're just songs
    3. Suicides are rising because boomers left the world in a decay as they overpopulated it, destroyed it with pollution and global warming, created ineffective educational systems, put too much pressure on their children and broke the economical system.

But thanks for proving once again how much this world was ruined by religious whataboutism.
    Hilarious!!! Sure, blame the baby boomers!! That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. I was born in 1980 by the way. Not a boomer! Wonder why the boomers didn’t commit suicide by blaming the generation before them, if it’s all about the blame game. I’m sure it has nothing to do with the fact that our youth is exposed to things today which back in the day was simply forbidden. Everything from the movies and TV shows we watch to the music we listen to, to the things one can so easily dig up on the Internet and social media sites. Back in the day you had standards on what could and couldn’t be shown. Not so anymore. You can see a body with its eyes gouged out on network TV these days on any of those CSI crime shows. When the heck did they ever show something like that on TV in the 70s or even 80s?

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited January 2020 Posts: 8,025
    Yes certain things in life should be taken VERY seriously. Why does a 17/18 year old have black blood coming out of her eyes, as in some of the pics I saw of her? Earrings in lips and nose? Chains all around her neck?? The song lyrics she sings? I’m sorry but that is not normal. Some may call it self-expression. But I certainly would never wish for anyone’s kid daughter to “express” herself that way.

The tragedy is that the industry pushes forth this type of “self-expression” in these young kids who are often too young to know any better. Because it’s edgy and provocative and sells!!! And it’s all about the buck at the end of the day. Never mind the internal damage it causes to these young “artists”.

You're like that preacher guy that ranted about rock music in FOOTLOOSE, going on about how it will bring about moral decay, end times blah blah blah.

Seriously? You're upset over stuff like nose and lip rings?
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 309

You're like that preacher guy that ranted about rock music in FOOTLOOSE, going on about how it will bring about moral decay, end times blah blah blah.

The irony is that as James Bond fans we should all have an appreciation for the prurient, macabre and provocative.

"The target of my books lies somewhere between the solar plexus and the upper thigh."

- Ian Fleming

Perhaps more people should have listened to that preacher. We’d be in much better shape as a society today. Our kids would have a much more innocent childhood. A 6-year old should be playing outside, not sitting and staring at the cellphone for hours. That was certainly my childhood and I’m forever grateful for it. Unfortunately the innocence of childhood is lost. The kinds of things that children know today makes my hair stand on edge!

It’s easy to mock but deep down inside you know it’s unfortunate what little kids are exposed to these days.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited January 2020 Posts: 3,157

Hope you realise that
    1. They're just songs

But thanks for proving once again how much this world was ruined by religious whataboutism.
    Hilarious!!! Sure, blame the baby boomers!! That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. I was born in 1980 by the way. Not a boomer!

I never said you were. This also proves that you have problem in understanding what you read.

Hope you realise that
    1. They're just songs

Hilarious!!! Sure, blame the baby boomers!! That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. I was born in 1980 by the way. Not a boomer! Wonder why the boomers didn’t commit suicide by blaming the generation before them, if it’s all about the blame game. I’m sure it has nothing to do with the fact that our youth is exposed to things today which back in the day was simply forbidden. Everything from the movies and TV shows we watch to the music we listen to, to the things one can so easily dig up on the Internet and social media sites. Back in the day you had standards on what could and couldn’t be shown. Not so anymore. You can see a body with its eyes gouged out on network TV these days on any of those CSI crime shows. When the heck did they ever show something like that on TV in the 70s or even 80s?

Who should I blame? Lucifer? A fictional character from a fantasy book?

And who were these things invented by? Definitely not by today's kids. Today's kids are what previous generations' outcome. So yes, I will always blame previous generations for current generation's state.
    A 6-year old should be playing outside, not sitting and staring at the cellphone for hours.

That, I agree with. But living in Plato's cavern and pretending that everything is okay by censoring everything that is scary, sad or provocative will help no one.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    bondsum wrote: »

Hope you realise that
    1. They're just songs
    Get off your soapbox, preacherman.

You quoted the wrong person, ringfire is the preacherman.
    You took the bait rose to his level, so for the sake of this thread we should drop this topic.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

Perhaps more people should have listened to that preacher. We’d be in much better shape as a society today. Our kids would have a much more innocent childhood. A 6-year old should be playing outside, not sitting and staring at the cellphone for hours. That was certainly my childhood and I’m forever grateful for it. Unfortunately the innocence of childhood is lost. The kinds of things that children know today makes my hair stand on edge!

It’s easy to mock but deep down inside you know it’s unfortunate what little kids are exposed to these days.

I blame bad parenting, not pop tunes.

Hope you realise that
    1. They're just songs

I wouldn't go Banko on that

Hope you realise that
    1. They're just songs

Hilarious!!! Sure, blame the baby boomers!! That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. I was born in 1980 by the way. Not a boomer!

I never said you were. This also proves that you have problem in understanding what you read.

Hope you realise that
    1. They're just songs

And who were these things invented by? Definitely not by today's kids. Today's kids are what previous generations' outcome. So yes, I will always blame previous generations for current generation's state.
    A 6-year old should be playing outside, not sitting and staring at the cellphone for hours.

That, I agree with. But living in Plato's cavern and pretending that everything is okay by censoring everything that is scary, sad or provocative will help no one.
    Lucifer a fictional character from a fantasy book? Are you quite sure about that?? And who is the author of this work of fiction?? Most fictional works have an author. Is there one author you can ascribe this work of fiction to?? Who came up with all these chapters and the old and New Testament? Who exactly created this fairy tale? J.K. Rowling? Do not show your ignorance towards that which you do not understand.

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I don't think it's the first time the Bond franchise is hiring an eccentric singer. Shirley Manson & Madonna fits that ilk & Amy Winehouse almost joined that pantheon. Maybe if Billie Eilish were older, her Eccentric behaviour might have been overlooked. I don't know....maybe Eilish likes a bit of Surrealism.....or maybe she's too young for it. And I honestly don't think Eilish approached the Bond Song the same way she does her other songs....I mean.....I can't imagine the Music Video of Eilish's Bond song, where she sings with snakes or paints her face with Blood....I can't see that happening in Bond's world.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    bondsum wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    This sounds the most Bondian this is probably most likely what we will get it's done over the Skyfall titles.

It's not my taste in music, though I am stuck in the 20th Century.
    Deary me!! What a mournful, bleak and turgid song that was. Sounds far too EMO for a Bond movie. The titles need to have oomph, not something that sounds like its being played by someone on suicide watch.
    I have to agree with this. She does have an interesting voice , when it’s not processed to an extreme. but her songs are generally maudlin and depressing.
    I hope this is a collaboration, with Zimmer perhaps, that allows her to stretch and avoid her, to my sensibilities, more depressive tendencies.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited January 2020 Posts: 3,157

Hope you realise that
    1. They're just songs

Hope you realise that
    1. They're just songs

Lucifer a fictional character from a fantasy book? Are you quite sure about that?? And who is the author of this work of fiction?? Most fictional works have an author. Is there one author you can ascribe this work of fiction to?? Who came up with all these chapters and the old and New Testament? Who exactly created this fairy tale? J.K. Rowling? Do not show your ignorance towards that which you do not understand.

Learn to use Google instead of calling names. As you do that, explain me why your almighty and benevolent God hasn't stopped Lucifer if either of them does indeed exist.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorship_of_the_Bible
    Most fictional works have an author

Lmao. Every fictional work has an author. How can a fictional work exist without one? They do not grow on trees as far as I know.
    Stop it stop it stop it

Hope you realise that
    1. They're just songs

Hope you realise that
    1. They're just songs

Learn to use Google instead of calling names. As you do that, explain me why your almighty and benevolent God hasn't stopped Lucifer if either of them does indeed exist.

Lmao. Every fictional work has an author. How can a fictional work exist without one? They do not grow on trees as far as I know.
    Yes and you have still failed to tell me who this author is of the fairy tale known as the Bible. Who came up with all these different books? Hosea, Joel, Amos, Nahum, Habakkuk, Haggai, etc. All these are made-up fairy tale books within the Bible. Correct? There really was no Joel or Hosea. So who sat down and wrote all these fairy tales? Who’s this one genius author with such a vivid imagination????

Open your eyes and look at the beauty of the Earth and its intricacies and then tell me it’s all just one big accident.

“They have eyes, yet do not see” - Psalm 135:16

I’ll just leave it at that. As you were...
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    @ringfire211 you are not wrong when you say these kids should be playing outside rather than on their cell phones but who is responsible for providing cell phone to a 6 year old may i ask and who is failing at their job when these kids choose the wrong path at such young age. Children's are also a reflection of their parents, aren't they?
    As a Christian even I have to say theology has it's time and place and while I agree with Ringfire this isn't the time or place.
    Staaaaaaaahhhhp it

Back on topic, I came across this track of Eilish’s on Spotify and felt it had a good poppy vibe for a NTTD theme. She’s a versatile singer, and I hope people don’t discount her after listening to only one or two songs.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Minion wrote: »
    Staaaaaaaahhhhp it

Back on topic, I came across this track of Eilish’s on Spotify and felt it had a good poppy vibe for a NTTD theme. She’s a versatile singer, and I hope people don’t discount her after listening to only one or two songs.

This song is encouraging in that it isn’t depressing and show that she has a good voice.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Hope you realise that
    1. They're just songs

Hope you realise that
    1. They're just songs

Yes and you have still failed to tell me who this author is of the fairy tale known as the Bible. Who came up with all these different books? Hosea, Joel, Amos, Nahum, Habakkuk, Haggai, etc. All these are made-up fairy tale books within the Bible. Correct? There really was no Joel or Hosea. So who sat down and wrote all these fairy tales? Who’s this one genius author with such a vivid imagination????

Open your eyes and look at the beauty of the Earth and its intricacies and then tell me it’s all just one big accident.

“They have eyes, yet do not see” - Psalm 135:16

I’ll just leave it at that. As you were...

@ringfire211
    We are NOT having this discussion ANYWHERE on these boards! We are NOT going to discuss religion. We tried that before until it proved too sensitive a topic for some to handle. If you can't take any criticism, as clearly you can't, then it's wisest to just leave it at that. So please take your god, bible, demons and whatnot someplace where people care about those things, but not here.

Billie Eilish singing about "those things" is just another teen pop star in a very long tradition. This is not the first generation of singers going "dark" in that way. Death metal from the '80s and '90 hasn't destroyed our lives and neither will it destroy the lives of younglings today. If you don't like her, fine. If her music isn't your taste of music, fine. But neither she nor her music can take any blame whatsoever for teen suicides or the increase in the number of people who abandon traditional religion in favour of a more modern kind, or none at all. And the fact that this has until now been her thing doesn't necessarily mean she'll bring it to the Bond film. She is a singer, after all, and she's in this to make money. She's not the devil's maiden.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Very. Well. Said
    Now here's a radical idea. Let's discuss Bond related things on a Bond related forum and have fun, not nastiness toward one another.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Smart of EoN to go with Eilish. She's the 'hottest star of the moment' and has a huge following. Perhaps this will draw in the youngsters, Bond is certainly no relic of the past, yet ;)

I think she will do well, she certainly has an edge. Probably not my first pick. I would have liked Dua Lipa instead, her smooth and distinct voice in an epic Bassey type of song, yes please. We'll have to wait and judge until the track is released. Zimmer is a dream come true, basically.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    To paraphrase Le Chiffre,

"That's it? Anybody want to discuss the title song now?"
    Ryan wrote: »
    To paraphrase Le Chiffre,

"That's it? Anybody want to discuss the title song now?"

It’ll be interesting to see if they use the film title or go with an original song title. My random guess is an original title, but as to what it would be I have no idea. Hopefully something Bondian!
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I think No Time To Die is an easily workable title for a song, but all the same I can't help but feel like it's just too similar to Another Way To Die so in that respect they may want to go for an unrelated title. That's been the case for 3/4 films in the Craig era anyways. That said, my prediction is that the song will indeed be called No Time To Die.
    No Time for Another Way to Die Another Day
    The DC films have been badly served overall by the theme songs. Let’s hope it’s a belter.
This discussion has been closed.