NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    DCisared wrote: »
    delfloria wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    That Barry vid is a very pleasant listen! Thank you.

Did anyone else manage to go and see him perform? I'm happy I managed to do that.

GadgetMan wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    I have listened to 1917's score since December. I don't think anyone ever doubted Newman's ability as a Composer, he's been nominated for an Academy award 14 times, and that says a lot.....
    That means nothing, Academy Awards are a joke.

John Barry won five. Seems reasonable to me: he was pretty good.

Good for him; he deserved some kind of recognization.

Yeah I think they're deserved too. Newman certainly deserves recognition as well ;)
    Whoever & whatever Genre they settle on....I just hope they focus more on making the song very Good & Bondian....instead of targeting an Oscar award. In recent times, songs like YKMN wasn't made with winning an Oscar in mind & the song I can imagine is played frequently by Bond fans.

How do you focus on getting a best song Oscar though? Make a really good song that fits the film and which people really like? I think that kind of should be the approach of making a Bond song too. Skyfall is a pretty perfect Bond song; not my favourite but it's a great song, works for the film fantastically and also was a massive hit. I think acting like Bond films aren't populist would be a bit strange.

Yeah, true....but the balance needs to be right though....so the artistic focus isn't derailed.

I don't think it has been so far. I don't know how you chase an Oscar with a Bond song. The only way to do that is to make a really good song.

Yes, I heard Barry live at the Hollywood bowl. A highlight of my life.

I shook Jackie Stewart’s hand at Silverstone once so...

Heh! That’s great. I remember a couple of years ago I was looking under a mini’s bonnet at Goodwood and heard a familiar accent: he was standing right next to me! :)
  • Eon have confirmed Hans Zimmer is composing

I'm not sure I've ever been happier to see a Tweet from EON.

Just wonderful that it's real now. Absolutely cannot wait to hear it.
    Eon have confirmed Hans Zimmer is composing

Nice! I still have a little bit of caution (do NOT want the film to sound like Inception or The Dark Knight Trilogy), but I am optimistic Hans will deliver. Glad Cary is excited too; he really seems to be a big Bond fan, which hopefully means good things for us with NTTD.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    FoxRox wrote: »

Nice! I still have a little bit of caution (do NOT want the film to sound like Inception or The Dark Knight Trilogy), but I am optimistic Hans will deliver. Glad Cary is excited too; he really seems to be a big Bond fan, which hopefully means good things for us with NTTD.

There's No Time For Caution, @FoxRox
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Delicious!....Fukunaga has even heard part of the score & he approves....the score must be absolutely Bondian then.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Lovely stuff; I’m glad it’s confirmed. I don’t know what he’ll do but I’ll be very interested to hear it. I’m pretty happy for this development.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    After months of silence, Dan Romer finally posts something on Instagram:

Just a plug-in, but funny how that’s posted minutes after the Zimmer announcement.
  • JG007JG007 Manchester, UK
    edited January 2020 Posts: 78
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I've ever been happier to see a Tweet from EON.

Just wonderful that it's real now. Absolutely cannot wait to hear it.

Couldn’t agree more !! Although this tweet seconds the trailer drop tweet of course 🍸
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    After months of silence, Dan Romer finally posts something on Instagram:

Just a plug-in, but funny how that’s posted minutes after the Zimmer announcement.

Strange time to pick! :)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Absolutely delighted this news is now properly confirmed.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    There we have it, then. Zimmer is now officially on board.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 1,965
    Holy Crap! Zimmerman doing the score? Yeah! I can not wait to hear what sound he brings to Bond. One of the best composers out there.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    It's a strange coincidence that the first Bond film to replace its director has also replaced its composer.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    It's a strange coincidence that the first Bond film to replace its director has also replaced its composer.

Hopefully this film isn't a mess. Because of both.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave

But it’s not the first time a Bond film’s replaced its composer before release.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    And let's not forget GoldenEye where we have a hybrid of composers.

When did that happen?
    vzok wrote: »

When did that happen?

In the case of Dr. No there's a ton of tracks by Monty Norman that the producers simply discarded and replaced with John Barry's rendition of the Bond theme.

Then there's GoldenEye, which only used a different composer for the tank chase.
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    If we get a Bond score in the vein of Zimmer’s “Inception”, I may just die a happy man.

When did that happen?

In the case of Dr. No there's a ton of tracks by Monty Norman that the producers simply discarded and replaced with John Barry's rendition of the Bond theme.

Then there's GoldenEye, which only used a different composer for the tank chase.

But they didn’t fire Monty Norman, probably because it would have been too costly. They didn’t hire John Barry to write a new score. Not quite the same as Romer being replaced.

When did that happen?

But they didn’t fire Monty Norman, probably because it would have been too costly. They didn’t hire John Barry to write a new score. Not quite the same as Romer being replaced.

Nothing on the scale of replacing Romer, but those were the closest examples that came to mind for Bond. John Barry even made a comment on how he didn't expect the producers to use his theme as extensively as they did.

I'll be most interested in learning about how far Romer was in the project before being let go. If it concerned EON that much, he couldn't have turned in a completed score.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    For what it's worth, I think we're in for our best score since The Living Daylights. I fully expect an aural treat that will cause goosebumps throughout. We're incredibly lucky to have him.

When did that happen?

Nothing on the scale of replacing Romer, but those were the closest examples that came to mind for Bond. John Barry even made a comment on how he didn't expect the producers to use his theme as extensively as they did.

I'll be most interested in learning about how far Romer was in the project before being let go. If it concerned EON that much, he couldn't have turned in a completed score.

Yes they certainly used his theme almost as much as a new score. He must have been miffed at first.

I wonder too if they stopped Romer part way through. I hope his score is released sometime.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 5,767
    Delicious!....Fukunaga has even heard part of the score & he approves....the score must be absolutely Bondian then.
    Why is that? What else do you expect Fukunaga to say? And even supposing Fukunaga does like what he heard so far, how do you know that his taste is "Bondian"? He brought a composer on board that was sacked late into production.

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Why is that? What else do you expect Fukunaga to say? And even supposing Fukunaga does like what he heard so far, how do you know that his taste is "Bondian"? He brought a composer on board that was sacked late into production.

I think coz he said 'The music of Bond has always been Iconic'....so I think that means the score's Bondian enough. And there's every chance Zimmer looked at the musical history of Bond before he started composing. Remember Fukunaga knows Duran Duran's theme....maybe he thought Romer would embrace the Bond style fully...and obviously, Romer didn't.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    So Hans is the Composer, ya?
    I wans't too fond of him at first, but if he gives it his all and approaches it with the right mindset, this could be great. Can't wait for his rendition of the Bond Theme. Getting goosebumps already.

Here's a little tribute that Hans wrote for Barry after his death.
    http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2046069,00.html
  • Billie Eillish's Instagram Story is currently a bunch of pictures of Bond Girls.... in case we needed any more confirmation.
  • James_StJohnSmytheJames_StJohnSmythe Twitter: @J_StJS /// https://www.instagram.com/james_st_john_smythe/
    edited January 2020 Posts: 21
    I thought the score of SP and to a lesser extent SF sounded a bit Batmanesque (not necessarily a bad thing BTW). I guess it'll sound even more Batmanesque now.