Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Univex wrote: »
    I'm so sick of those "origin" films. Can't we just have a mature Bond doing what he does best? No younger Bond, please, this time. Let's have a 40ish actor that looks like Bond and has acting chops? Is that a lot to ask for? :)

40ish is too old for Eon's pace of filmmaking nowadays. The next Bond is likely late 20s to early 30s right now.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Late 30s(above 35) is much safer. Since we won't have bond Film every 2 year.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    James Bond is suppose to be in his 30s. Manly looking guy early to mid 30s to start for sure is what they should cast.
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    James Bond is suppose to be in his 30s. Manly looking guy early to mid 30s to start for sure is what they should cast.

The thing is, Bond 26 will be most likely filmed in four years at the earliest. Most of the actors mentioned here will be in their forties then.
    I'm so sick of those "origin" films. Can't we just have a mature Bond doing what he does best? No younger Bond, please, this time. Let's have a 40ish actor that looks like Bond and has acting chops? Is that a lot to ask for? :)

40ish is too old for Eon's pace of filmmaking nowadays. The next Bond is likely late 20s to early 30s right now.

un less they go back to one film every other year.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    As has been pointed out, actors often look younger at a given age than actors of a comparable age did in the past. Between 35 and 40 seems like a good age to begin. If a film were to be released every 3 years, which is a very reasonable time table, a 40 year old actor could do 5 films in 12 years 40, 43, 46,49,52. Perfect.
    talos7 wrote: »
    As has been pointed out, actors often look younger at a given age than actors of a comparable age did in the past. Between 35 and 40 seems like a good age to begin. If a film were to be released every 3 years, which is a very reasonable time table, a 40 year old actor could do 5 films in 12 years 40, 43, 46,49,52. Perfect.
    Exactly!
    Problem us, often a man end up looking older and older faster as he gets through his forties. I know, I'm 42 and I'm far greyer than I was two years ago.
    It might be a controversial opinion, but I would like future actors to do four films at most – maybe even just three. It will provide a larger pool of actors to choose from as far as age goes, and no actor would be in the role for too long.
    It might be a controversial opinion, but I would like future actors to do four films at most – maybe even just three. It will provide a larger pool of actors to choose from as far as age goes, and no actor would be in the role for too long.

I think that's far more likely than an actor ever doing six or seven films again.
    If the gaps continue to increase I can imagine each new Bond actor being a one off.
    Craig's replacement only does B26, and is replaced for the next film as 5-10 year gaps become the norm.

I find myself in agreement. IMO there aren't many films in the series past the third film of an actor that have been particularly great (TB and FYEO would be my favorites). If the next actor does 3 total, we'll keep the trend going of a Bond actor finishing with a different total of films! It seems near-impossible there'll be any new ground there after that though; what are the odds of one actor doing 8?
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I think that's far more likely than an actor ever doing six or seven films again.
    If the gaps continue to increase I can imagine each new Bond actor being a one off.
    Craig's replacement only does B26, and is replaced for the next film as 5-10 year gaps become the norm.

Agree, especially if we're to expect gaps like we have between the films right now.

I don't know if I'd like one-offs personally, but as you write, if the gaps continue to increase, then maybe there's a chance of that happening.
    FoxRox wrote: »

I find myself in agreement. IMO there aren't many films in the series past the third film of an actor that have been particularly great (TB and FYEO would be my favorites). If the next actor does 3 total, we'll keep the trend going of a Bond actor finishing with a different total of films! It seems near-impossible there'll be any new ground there after that though; what are the odds of one actor doing 8?

Agree, a drop in quality is probably to be expected after three films. Limiting the length of an actor's run to that amount might give us better quality films as a result as well.

I guess an actor must be quite young to reach 8 films in total!
    Part of evaluating an actor’s potential for a long term commitment to the role is how they care for themselves between roles, and I’m not talking about grooming and wardrobe; I mean how does he care for his conditioning. Does he stay in relatively good shape? Does he drink to excess , smoke and party hard, is he like Leonardo DiCaprio and balloons between films?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    If not Cavill (who I would be okay with, as the next Bond), then they should have gone with an actor of similar age. That or re-write CR. Craig was too old to be playing Bond as wet behind the ears naive. "When James became Bond", would have made more sense with a younger Bond, gradually maturing over the course of his era.

You don't like Craig that is plain to see, if t had been Dalton in a similar situation you wouldn't given 2 hoots.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2020 Posts: 13,882
    Shardlake wrote: »
    If not Cavill (who I would be okay with, as the next Bond), then they should have gone with an actor of similar age. That or re-write CR. Craig was too old to be playing Bond as wet behind the ears naive. "When James became Bond", would have made more sense with a younger Bond, gradually maturing over the course of his era.

You don't like Craig that is plain to see, if t had been Dalton in a similar situation you wouldn't given 2 hoots.

You give me far too much credit for a Dalton fan. I should be flattered. I have seen little of his work outside of Bond. I'm really not THAT big of a fan of his, else I would have seen much much more of his work. I have probably seen more of Craig, than Dalton.

Oh, and you are wrong, by the way. I would still call it out. Such awkwardness goes beyond one being a "angry bitter Dalton fan". Ever notice that my avatar ISN'T of Dalton*? I don't suppose you have ever thought that much, before getting defensive over the slightest criticism of Craig.

*That is Richard Johnson, for the sake of futher driving my point home.
    Matthew Goode anyone?
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Matthew Goode anyone?
    👎🏼
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

Craig was perfect in CR IMO. Can we have a quick 'Praise the lord!' that the producers didn’t go full origin story on us and release James Bond: The Teenage Years. Craig’s maturity softens the prequel effect: Bond the man emerges as fully formed as he did in Dr No. Good hypothetical: what if 22-year-old Henry Cavill got the nod? Early 20's Bond is not appealing and Cubby always agreed.
  • suavejmf wrote: »

Craig was perfect in CR IMO. Can we have a quick 'Praise the lord!' that the producers didn’t go full origin story on us and release James Bond: The Teenage Years. Craig’s maturity softens the prequel effect: Bond the man emerges as fully formed as he did in Dr No. Good hypothetical: what if 22-year-old Henry Cavill got the nod? Early 20's Bond is not appealing and Cubby always agreed.

Interestingly when they were preparing The Living Daylights they did consider doing a film set during Bond's time in the navy.
    Matthew Goode anyone?
    👎🏼
    I saw only one scene of him on Jeopardy the greatest of all time last night and he struck me as a possibility so why don't you like him Talos7...

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words but sadly the thumbs down doesn't give more then 3 words
    edited January 2020 Posts: 7,891
    Matthew Goode anyone?
    👎🏼
    I saw only one scene of him on Jeopardy the greatest of all time last night and he struck me as a possibility so why don't you like him Talos7...

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words but sadly the thumbs down doesn't give more then 3 words
    Obviously you lack vision. 😏
    Lol, I was in a hurry. I’ve seen him in a few things and find him very “soft” ; he doesn’t have a hint of the alpha-make quality that the role of Bond needs
    Actually, having taken another look at his photos, not only is he weak but also gives off a creepy vibe . Hence 👎🏼
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 9,737
    Matthew Goode anyone?
    👎🏼

Lol, I was in a hurry. I’ve seen him in a few things and find him very “soft” ; he doesn’t have a hint of the alpha-make quality that the role of Bond needs

fair enough I saw him for 30 seconds and felt he could do it.... but then again I am still convinced Tom Hardy could be a brilliant 007 so who am I to judge.

And I have tried to not think of Hardy as 007 I really have but …. I see that man and his performance in Inception and think man...he would be like the second coming of Connery... if only...
    Matthew Goode anyone?
    👎🏼

fair enough I saw him for 30 seconds and felt he could do it.... but then again I am still convinced Tom Hardy could be a brilliant 007 so who am I to judge.

And I have tried to not think of Hardy as 007 I really have but …. I see that man and his performance in Inception and think man...he would be like the second coming of Connery... if only...

Well I don’t know about his being the second coming of Connery, but he could definitely play the role and absolutely possess an Alpha quality.

Matthew Goode anyone?
    👎🏼

Well I don’t know about his being the second coming of Connery, but he could definitely play the role and absolutely possess an Alpha quality.

I thought I was the only one who felt Hardy could be Bond...

But and I need to stress this to everyone involved I am a popcorn junkie movie goer

the last artsy film I saw was the new version of Little Women (which I give a weak recommend to) and now actor there I felt could be 007....

so Yeah my 10 actors are all somewhat big names in their own right
  • If not Cavill (who I would be okay with, as the next Bond), then they should have gone with an actor of similar age. That or re-write CR. Craig was too old to be playing Bond as wet behind the ears naive. "When James became Bond", would have made more sense with a younger Bond, gradually maturing over the course of his era.

Wasn't Cavill only 22/23/24 though? Too young even for a rookie Bond imo.

I can see what you mean and I used to think exactly the same at first, that Craig seemed a bit old to be a rookie. But when you think about it, Bond is meant to have had some sort of military experience (whether it's Navy like in the books or army/marines and then SAS/SBS, which I think the CR film website said was the case for Craig) and then a few years as a spy before being a 00. It makes sense that he'd be in his 30s. I don't think this contradicts him being reckless/inexperienced either because it's still a very different job to serving in the forces. E.g. killing Obanno the way he did, that'd still affect him, because he might have shot people before, but he probably hasn't had to maul and then strangle the life out of a man before. And if he's fairly inexperienced as a spy then letting his guard down for Vesper still makes sense despite his military experience.

So don't think Craig was too old for CR. I think the problem was the four year gap between QoS and SF. We went straight from rookie to older Bond. Just one more film in 2010, preferrably a standalone mission, showing Bond in his prime, would have eased that transition I think.

Wasn't Cavill only 22/23/24 though? Too young even for a rookie Bond imo.

I can see what you mean and I used to think exactly the same at first, that Craig seemed a bit old to be a rookie. But when you think about it, Bond is meant to have had some sort of military experience (whether it's Navy like in the books or army/marines and then SAS/SBS, which I think the CR film website said was the case for Craig) and then a few years as a spy before being a 00. It makes sense that he'd be in his 30s. I don't think this contradicts him being reckless/inexperienced either because it's still a very different job to serving in the forces. E.g. killing Obanno the way he did, that'd still affect him, because he might have shot people before, but he probably hasn't had to maul and then strangle the life out of a man before. And if he's fairly inexperienced as a spy then letting his guard down for Vesper still makes sense despite his military experience.

So don't think Craig was too old for CR. I think the problem was the four year gap between QoS and SF. We went straight from rookie to older Bond. Just one more film in 2010, preferrably a standalone mission, showing Bond in his prime, would have eased that transition I think.

This.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    suavejmf wrote: »

Interestingly when they were preparing The Living Daylights they did consider doing a film set during Bond's time in the navy.

Exactly and Cubby said 'no'. IMO the audience want to see 007, not a rookie child.
    I definitely want to see the next incarnation of Bond to be an in-his-prime, seasoned agent.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 6,665
    I definitely want to see the next incarnation of Bond to be an in-his-prime, seasoned agent.
    Yes, please. No more “rookies” and no more “oldies”. Just the ever-40yo seasoned agent at his prime, not messing up all the time, doing some stylish stuff with a bang.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Yes, please. No more “rookies” and no more “oldies”. Just the ever-40yo seasoned agent at his prime, not messing up all the time, doing some stylish stuff with a bang.

That'd be swell.