Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited January 2020 Posts: 7,891
    I’m shocked to say that Nicholas Hoult has moved into my top 5 . Months ago I suggest him and after seeing recent photos, I strongly feel that he deserves a screentest.
    He’s grown into his looks, is tall, has a good voice, is a solid actor and will be a perfect age, 33-35, when needed for Bond 26.
    He’s just been cast in MI:7

• manovermanover uk
    I have a strong feeling it will be jack lowden for bond 26. Right age .. right stage in his career.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Hoult to me has a baby face, small nose etc. Not a handsome man in my book, let alone he doesn't the least bit dangerous.
    Hoult to me has a baby face, small nose etc. Not a handsome man in my book, let alone he doesn't the least bit dangerous.

But he's been cast in Mission Impossible, that means EON are a laughing stock for not casting him first.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    If not Cavill (who I would be okay with, as the next Bond), then they should have gone with an actor of similar age. That or re-write CR. Craig was too old to be playing Bond as wet behind the ears naive. "When James became Bond", would have made more sense with a younger Bond, gradually maturing over the course of his era.

You don't like Craig that is plain to see, if t had been Dalton in a similar situation you wouldn't given 2 hoots.

Craig was perfect in CR IMO. Can we have a quick 'Praise the lord!' that the producers didn’t go full origin story on us and release James Bond: The Teenage Years. Craig’s maturity softens the prequel effect: Bond the man emerges as fully formed as he did in Dr No. Good hypothetical: what if 22-year-old Henry Cavill got the nod? Early 20's Bond is not appealing and Cubby always agreed.

For CR to work as it did it needed an actor of Craig's calibre, the film would have had to be retooled significantly with Cavill as Bond and Eva would have acted him off the screen.

The age thing still to me is just a stick that DC detractors use to beat this era with. No I won't disagree that more films could have been made in this space of time but a younger fresh faced actor does not have the gravitas and acting abilities that an established character actor like Craig has.

So if the actor cast had to be older that was realistically seen as newly minted 00 then so be it, I'd rather that than an actor totally out of his depth, just cast for his looks.

Maybe some want a handsome clothes peg in the role and maybe that might happen, although while BB is still in charge you can bet she won't be casting the likes of Henry Cavill.

• DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    manover wrote: »
    I have a strong feeling it will be jack lowden for bond 26. Right age .. right stage in his career.

Agreed. I truly think it's him. Something in my bones.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Henry Cavill still my number one choice
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Mine too! :-bd
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Murdock wrote: »

Cavill is great in The Witcher which has further convinced me he should be Bond.

Cavill is great in The Witcher which has further convinced me he should be Bond.

A good friend of mine has watched it and recommended it to me. I plan on checking it out very soon. :D
    edited January 2020 Posts: 23,105

A good friend of mine has watched it and recommended it to me. I plan on checking it out very soon. :D

It's a great first season much better than I expected, a female character has great chemistry with Cavill, I would cast both of them in Bond 26.

It's a great first season much better than I expected, a female character has great chemistry with Cavill, I would cast both of them in Bond 26.

I'm looking forward to it.

I'm looking forward to it.

I will look out for your opinion on the show, enjoy
    M_Blaise wrote: »

But he's been cast in Mission Impossible, that means EON are a laughing stock for not casting him first.

This has to be a joke.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    M_Blaise wrote: »

This has to be a joke.

And not even funny
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    If Cavill had been in CR he would have had no problem floating in the Venice climax.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    If Cavill had been in CR he would have had no problem floating in the Venice climax.
    He does a great “plank” when exercising. 😁

If not Cavill (who I would be okay with, as the next Bond), then they should have gone with an actor of similar age. That or re-write CR. Craig was too old to be playing Bond as wet behind the ears naive. "When James became Bond", would have made more sense with a younger Bond, gradually maturing over the course of his era.

You don't like Craig that is plain to see, if t had been Dalton in a similar situation you wouldn't given 2 hoots.

Craig was perfect in CR IMO. Can we have a quick 'Praise the lord!' that the producers didn’t go full origin story on us and release James Bond: The Teenage Years. Craig’s maturity softens the prequel effect: Bond the man emerges as fully formed as he did in Dr No. Good hypothetical: what if 22-year-old Henry Cavill got the nod? Early 20's Bond is not appealing and Cubby always agreed.

For CR to work as it did it needed an actor of Craig's calibre, the film would have had to be retooled significantly with Cavill as Bond and Eva would have acted him off the screen.

The age thing still to me is just a stick that DC detractors use to beat this era with. No I won't disagree that more films could have been made in this space of time but a younger fresh faced actor does not have the gravitas and acting abilities that an established character actor like Craig has.

So if the actor cast had to be older that was realistically seen as newly minted 00 then so be it, I'd rather that than an actor totally out of his depth, just cast for his looks.

Maybe some want a handsome clothes peg in the role and maybe that might happen, although while BB is still in charge you can bet she won't be casting the likes of Henry Cavill.

Again. This.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah I think it's hard not to see that, as-per the character in the script, Craig was technically miscast as he was too old, but he was so good that it doesn't matter one bit.
  • A bigger name that to me seems a bit more viable is Cillian Murphy. Don't really think he has the look but my wife really fancies him and you only have to go on twitter when Peaky Blinders is on to know that other women feel the same, so he must have something about him on that end. And he's a really good actor. Connery levels of cool in Peaky Blinders.

Probably too old and maybe too famous but I think if you look at the sort of stuff he's done he's a more realistic choice than someone like Cavill. It'll probably be someone none of us had thought of anyway but I think if we do want to try and actually predict the next Bond we're better off looking at the casts of indie dramas, highly regarded TV stuff, theatre stuff, than the cast of Mission Impossible.

O Connell, Norton, Turner, even Jamie Bell. They've all been slated by different members but those are the sort of names that genuinely have a shot imo. Wishing for Cavill is as pointless as wishing for Connery to wake up tomorrow suddenly looking like he did in DN and come out of retirement. Not gonna happen.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    A bigger name that to me seems a bit more viable is Cillian Murphy. Don't really think he has the look but my wife really fancies him and you only have to go on twitter when Peaky Blinders is on to know that other women feel the same, so he must have something about him on that end. And he's a really good actor. Connery levels of cool in Peaky Blinders.

He'd certainly be an interesting choice. I can well imagine it would be someone else who doesn't fit the exact physical profile of Connery/Lazenby/Dalton again.
    A bigger name that to me seems a bit more viable is Cillian Murphy. Don't really think he has the look but my wife really fancies him and you only have to go on twitter when Peaky Blinders is on to know that other women feel the same, so he must have something about him on that end. And he's a really good actor. Connery levels of cool in Peaky Blinders.

Probably too old and maybe too famous but I think if you look at the sort of stuff he's done he's a more realistic choice than someone like Cavill. It'll probably be someone none of us had thought of anyway but I think if we do want to try and actually predict the next Bond we're better off looking at the casts of indie dramas, highly regarded TV stuff, theatre stuff, than the cast of Mission Impossible.

O Connell, Norton, Turner, even Jamie Bell. They've all been slated by different members but those are the sort of names that genuinely have a shot imo. Wishing for Cavill is as pointless as wishing for Connery to wake up tomorrow suddenly looking like he did in DN and come out of retirement. Not gonna happen.

No offense but majority of women on twitter like pattison as well and not because of his acting skills but solely based on looks. They still think that he is perfect for Batman and i laugh whenever i hear that. Murphy is phenomenal actor just not a good choice for bond. He kind of reminds of Wishaw's Q as well sometimes.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 1,318

No offense but majority of women on twitter like pattison as well and not because of his acting skills but solely based on looks. They still think that he is perfect for Batman and i laugh whenever i hear that. Murphy is phenomenal actor just not a good choice for bond. He kind of reminds of Wishaw's Q as well sometimes.

This and this. He looks quite effeminate to me as well. Cillian with a wig, yesh pleashe.
    Edit: he sure is a pretty lass *lol* What has been seen... Say what you will about Cavill, he'd sure make for an unattractive lady :D
    4467f3a333083bf71c084afe360b9136.jpg

eda47c2f93f48f9ca6a1219b884f9869.jpg

4d7bc9d771a02ee4ddacb29ff00e4dce.jpg

• edited January 2020 Posts: 12,837

This and this. He looks quite effeminate to me as well. Cillian with a wig, yesh pleashe.
    Edit: he sure is a pretty lass *lol* What has been seen... Say what you will about Cavill, he'd sure make for an unattractive lady :D

Nothing wrong with showing versatility as an actor imo. If anything that works in his favour. Shows he's not afraid to take risks and all that. Sean Bean is probably one of the only actors I can think of who comes across as a genuine hardman well, but he was brilliant in The Accused as a crossdresser. And if we're going to write someone off for playing a drag role, well, better cancel NTTD then

And I haven't seen Pattinson in anything but I don't think people are excited for his Batman just based on looks. He's gotten some really good reviews in stuff lately. Could be nominated for an Oscar for the Lighthouse. And the director of the new Batman film is the guy behind the brilliant new Planet of the Apes films. So I wouldn't write him off there. I reckon it's going to be a Craig Bond situation. People are slagging him off now but then it'll come out and he'll be much better recieved than the Ben Affleck version.

I get thinking Murphy doesn't have the look to be fair, I'm on the fence myself, but he's popular enough for women for me to think he can't be ugly. And I suggest both of you watch Peaky Blinders because he certainly isn't effeminate or anything like Wishaw's Q. Plays a cool as f**k chainsmoking hard drinking suave and sophisticated gangster (lot of scenes that show Bond potential), and dominates the screen in a way Cavill could only dream of.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I get thinking Murphy doesn't have the look to be fair, I'm on the fence myself, but he's popular enough for women for me to think he can't be ugly. And I suggest both of you watch Peaky Blinders because he certainly isn't effeminate or anything like Wishaw's Q. Plays a cool as f**k chainsmoking hard drinking suave and sophisticated gangster (lot of scenes that show Bond potential), and dominates the screen in a way Cavill could only dream of.

Yes this is absolutely true. Like you I'm on the fence, but you make a good point. He could do it.

He also went up for Batman, didn't he?
  • mtm wrote: »

Yes this is absolutely true. Like you I'm on the fence, but you make a good point. He could do it.

He also went up for Batman, didn't he?

Yeah apparently he auditioned for the first Christian Bale one, which is why he got cast as the villain. Worked out for the best imo. Can't picture him as Batman, Bale was great in those movies anyway, and if his career had turned out differently we might not have him in Peaky Blinders now.
  • I think Campbell has admitted that he was thinking along the ‘Pierce Brosnan’ lines when casting CR. Remember in 2005, casting someone like Daniel Craig was a very iconoclastic move. Now we are used to him, but then it was a big sea change.

Cavill is very wooden – it also doesn’t help that he’s been lumped with playing stoic heroes. He can’t really pull off the ‘mean and moody’ vibe as it just comes across as meagre and pouty. He’s a bit of an empty vessel and can’t do haunted and angst-ridden. It just draws attention to how bland he is……..

Though, I did see him in Man from UNCLE and recall him injecting some personality into that film…..though his performance in these clips is a little shaky. But boy, doesn’t he just look like James Bond…….

But I think Superman still rules him out. There are pretty much four/five hugely iconic roles in film history that get recast openly. Both Superman and James Bond are on that very short list. You can’t play two of them - especially in franchise films where you are the 'face of the campaign.' From a marketing perspective it's a nightmare and these are $200 million business enterprises.

Plus, Cavill is a tad boring and obvious for my liking…….I think you need someone edgy and interesting. I feel that person is still Jack O’Connell. He has something slightly provocative about him. He kinda reminds me of a cross between Sean Connery and Tom Hardy.

JACk-OCONNELL.WEB_-696x442.jpg

JACk-OCONNELL.WEB8_-1024x650.jpg

JACk-OCONNELL.WEB7_-1024x650.jpg

JACk-OCONNELL.WEB6_-1024x650.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Yeah Man From UNCLE was Cavill's chance to show he could play Bond, and I think he was very ordinary. When you compare to something like Fassbender in First Class (which was an instant 'well: that's a pretty perfect fully-formed, charismatic, sexy, dangerous James Bond') there's nothing really there other than some good looks. I've nothing against him, he's decent enough, but he's sort of just 'fine'.

Personally, I don't see it with Murphy. Regardless, he's a bit old now.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 2,541

For me Murphy lacks the alpha male attributes. The way he walked, his voice says it all and don't get me started on his face. If Women find him sexy, good for them but that doesn't mean he is fit to be bond. I saw him in peaky blinders which I liked very much but never ever thought that this guy can be bond, still don't.

Murphy, pattison, Cavill or any other simply lacks the charisma. I liked other roles they played but not strong enough to impress me, surely critics may like them but never cared about critics . To be honest i am not really thrilled about pattison playing batman, he is nowhere near craig or bale acting skills. What Craig lacked in looks he makeup from his acting but pattison have neither for bond, for me he is just another Hollywood pretty boy who can get women excited. I can tell you mostly women are the one's defending him for his take on batman. Yes he will be better than the last batman but Affleck didn't really set the bar very high.

Murphy does looks like Q and here's the two photos for better comparison.

3aea40e93f7e3435beb0aa974f1d0c67.jpg
    MV5BY2M4MjczMWItN2Q2OC00ZmI4LWFmMWQtMjUxN2QwOGIxYWQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_.jpg