NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Any new composer having their first crack at a Bond film is always more exciting.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,247
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Fiedel is the only composer to make really propulsive scoring for the first two, and all done on synthesizers. Everyone else just doing orchestral shit was boring and unsuitable for Terminator.

Yeah, true...Fiedel really knew what he wanted for the franchise. I think the worst might be Elfman's score for SALVATION.

Which, strangely enough, is technically a strong score to my ears, with decent motifs and solid action material. It is, however, just not a good Terminator score.

Marco Beltrami's score for T3 is decent but he had far more success stepping into a franchise with DIE HARD. The only person who was seemingly aware that A Good Day to Die Hard was a Die Hard film was Beltrami. His score is the only thing that worked about that film.
    I can’t remember anything past T2. It’s amazing how much none of the later composers learned anything from Fiedel’s method of scoring.

The only composer I can think of that might have done a good follow up score is Eric Serra.

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross would have given it a good go, if they wanted someone who was more in the "hot shit" stage of their careers in the scoring department.

Anyway, Terminator is done now. A shame.

I hope Romer, still officially attached, can look to the best Bond scores and see what made them work, then put his own mark on it.

Really, really, really hoping for that if Romer is still attached. Coz the closest thing to a big action track Romer has done....that I've heard, is the track 'Free Of All Desire' from the Far Cry game. And the track sounds Serra-esque with a mix of Zimmer.
    Just some harmless speculation....I think Dan Romer is not doing the film. He was very active on Instagram but since the news broke of his possible non-involvement, he has been very very quiet. Especially when the trailer dropped.

More interestingly, the press release for the film's trailer that @antovolk shared did not make mention of his name. The only official mention of Rome's involvement has come from the title reveal in August.

However...............I recently watched Gemini Man (an enjoyable action thriller with amazing CGI and thinly written characters) and loved the music. I wasn't surprised to see Lorne Balfe's name in the credits.

His work on Fallout was terrific. He also comes from Hans Zimmer's troupe of composers and his style is very very very in keeping with his mentor.

I was checking our Balfe on social media and saw that he recently started following Cary Fukunaga's account.............................................................................................................................interesting.

https://www.instagram.com/lornebalfe/?hl=en

Now, it probably means nothing (CJF doesn't follow him back). But it does raise an interesting prospect. After all, Balfe would seem like the perfect person to substitute Romer at late notice.

Am I reading too much into this?

Interesting.

I noticed the same thing, but just assumed: perhaps Romer's not been posting on social media because he's very busy writing the score? ;)

I do find it particularly odd, in retrospect, that JBR would float such a seismic rumor with relative certainty and then not follow up. I saw they were asked again on Twitter about it and they confirmed they had nothing new to report. Good on them, and I've no doubt that's their truth -- it's just all so strange to me.

I'm certainly not one to tell anyone how to run their fan site (and I love their work!), but I'd personally want to be awfully confident before I put something like that out there. And I'd really be keen to beat the bushes and issue a follow-up or correction after the fact depending on how things progressed.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    One thing I noticed is, Balfe seems to respect established themes/style like he did evidently with Terminator Genisys & Most recently with Fallout. I would love to hear Romer's work....but still worried about his score at the same time. If the rumours are true, Balfe seems a safer choice, even if he's an unconventional one(Newman was as well). But still at this point,nothing is official yet.

He didn't respect the franchise sound with Terminator at all, imo. One or two interesting cues aside, he scored it like a Transformers film. And he stepped into that film after Christoph Beck was booted, so to see a similar situation develop with Bond would not be ideal imo.

+1
    You guys are gonna need a truckload of salt for this one BUT.

There's some smoke that someone based with Remote Control Productions - if not Hans Zimmer himself - will be replacing Romer.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    antovolk wrote: »

There's some smoke that someone based with Remote Control Productions - if not Hans Zimmer himself - will be replacing Romer.
    That would be insane.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    jake24 wrote: »

That would be insane.

Hanz Himmler drove me nuts with his score for TDKR and Dunkirk, but I love his Gladiator score. He is versatile.
    Zimmer produced the song 'A man for all seasons' sung by Robbie Williams for Johnny English(2003). The track is a obviously a Goofy take on the Bond sound, But you could tell Zimmer knows when he's in Spy territory. Would love to hear Romer's score, even if he worries me....although as it has been for quite some time now, nothing is Confirmed. But if true, Zimmer seems like a safer choice. If it's indeed Zimmer, I won't be surprised. The guy is a super-popular Composer....as some point, he's going to score a Bond film. Whether the time is now, we'll find out soon.
  • RC7RC7

That would be insane.

Hanz Himmler drove me nuts with his score for TDKR and Dunkirk, but I love his Gladiator score. He is versatile.

What about ‘Going for Gold’?
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    Hans Zimmer was asked to score Nolan's TENET but turned it down to score Villeneuve's DUNE. So he's busy I guess. I still think Romer is composer for NTTD.
  • antovolk wrote: »

I’d like to draw your attention to the fact that Lorne Balfe is following Cary Fukunaga on Instagram........

I’d like to draw your attention to the fact that Lorne Balfe is following Cary Fukunaga on Instagram........
    👀
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    RC7 wrote: »

That would be insane.

What about ‘Going for Gold’?

I had to search for that. Was he 14 years old when he wrote it? I need to wash my ears.
    If this Lorne Balfe news is true, that means Fukunaga is really a fan of Fallout & it's score.
    If this Lorne Balfe news is true, that means Fukunaga is really a fan of Fallout & it's score.

Or more like EON and Cary going to a well established 'fixer', akin to what we've seen with Burns on script duties.

Balfe has become kinda infamous for replacing composers/doing alternate scores that are then mixed in as additional music in the final film at the last minute. Clint Mansell on Ghost in the Shell, Max Richter on Ad Astra being the big examples...

Or more like EON and Cary going to a well established 'fixer', akin to what we've seen with Burns on script duties.

Balfe has become kinda infamous for replacing composers/doing alternate scores that are then mixed in as additional music in the final film at the last minute. Clint Mansell on Ghost in the Shell, Max Richter on Ad Astra being the big examples...

Very true...he really does replace composers these days or maybe he's Co-scoring with Romer.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 3,164
    In any case, there is someone who appears to be in the know (we don't know how much) on Zimmer's site who is adamant that neither Romer nor Balfe are doing it.

Then today the site's admin who is close to Zimmer and is a renowned score world insider really really heavily hints that Romer is indeed out.
    Zimmer elevates anything he touches. Look at Dark Phoenix. Flawed film but that score is amazing. Would be ecstatic if true but will not hold my breath
    I was looking forward to Romer's work but it's just serious, serious hype for me if any of those big/frequent RCP composer names potentially take over.

Balfe? Fallout's one of my favorite scores in the last ten years.

Wallfisch? Knockout work on BR 2049.

Junkie XL? Like Fury Road much?

Hans himself? I just couldn't even. One of the best experiences of my life was seeing HZ Live, the full orchestra show on the last tour, from the second row. It would be a weird full-circle thing for me if he ended up closing out Craig's era. And we know how much this era has already looked to Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy for inspiration...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Even though I’m not a massive fan, Zimmer would be amazing: he’s one of the best there’s been and I rather like that I don’t know how he’d do it. But I guess that’s not going to happen, and although getting one of his bunch to score a Bond film would be quite interesting to hear I think, I’m not hugely enthusiastic about the suggestion of Balfe. I don’t think he’s done much I’m very keen on and his music (and especially theme for) His Dark Materials was really bad I think.
    One thing you can bet on Zimmer or any RCP composer, is a score you can enjoy as an Mp3 file on your Ipod....not just in the film.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 17,241
    I can't stand Zimmer but for a couple scores. If not Romer, then I hope it'll be someone else.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I can't stand Zimmer but for a couple scores. If not Romer, then I hope it'll be someone else.

+1. Hopefully the guy who scored QoS will be asked to return.
    Walecs wrote: »

giphy.gif
    Walecs wrote: »

Well now this would be maximum hype. ;)
    We hope so...but for some reason, Eon seem to find Arnold dispensable these days. Are we saying if they tell the directors they don't want their composers, they'll quit?....the only time Barry didn't score a Bond film was when he had personal issues.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I don't like seeing these kinds of rumours swirling around when we're this close to release. Even less enthused by the names being thrown around. I personally really don't want "fixers" scoring a Bond film. Three months might not be the worst timetable to have, but it's certainly not ideal.

And I like Zimmer. Seen the guy live twice. I like Lorne Balfe too, when he's been hired early enough to properly craft a score like he did with FALLOUT. But anytime he's been drafted as a replacement, he has been less successful.

Giacchino (and yes, David Arnold) would have been a better last minute choice, if that's the road we're on now.

A disappointing turn of events.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 565
    Well for what it's worth, Lorne Balfe is a member of Remote Control Productions.

Music is the one department that really has been and appears to continute to be a giant let down for me. I'd be happy with Arnold just to see how much "pencil sharpening" he's truly capable of. I'd also be happy with a new name, as long as they're more on the leading edge of things. SP was a huge disappointment both with title song and soundtrack, but it just doesn't seem like EON feels like there ever was an issue. I'm one to buy soundtracks, and generally, I love the Bond soundtracks, but I just have the feeling this'll be another case of nothing bought.
    Just because we're only (possibly) hearing about it now doesn't mean it's only happening now. JBR first reported on a potential Romer departure two months ago. With filming wrapping around the same time, the effort to secure a new composer (if it has indeed happened) would have been swift and completed closer to then than to now.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 6,665
    Lorne Balfe is awesome. Just saying.