NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    mtm wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    I think many here are underestimating just how flexible that "007 Theme" is; it could very easily be adapted into any of the modern films.

I've always held out hope for its return. A cracking Barry number.

I can't really think of any scene where it would fit. It's one of Barry's most dated compositions.

Disagree. It's no more dated than the original James Bond theme, and they have no issue updating that. All it takes is a bit of imagination.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I think many here are underestimating just how flexible that "007 Theme" is; it could very easily be adapted into any of the modern films.

I've always held out hope for its return. A cracking Barry number.

Very, very flexible....it doesn't have to sound exactly how it did in previous Bond films. An intelligent Composer would know exactly how it should be arranged to suit Craig.

Exactly. It wouldn't be difficult if they set their mind to it. It's extremely unlikely to happen of course, but it's certainly a shame.

It’s easy to say ‘it can fit into anything and be easily updated’ but that’s not terribly convincing unless you say how! :)

I'm not entirely sure if you are being jovial here or actually being serious, but I'll humour this anyway.

Have you not ever heard a tune before being modernised and updated? Have you not heard Arnold's Shaken and Stirred album, with the OHMSS track in particular?

Have you not noticed the difference between the early 60's 007 theme, compared to the 1979 updated MR version?

Have you not noticed the Bond theme being used in TLD (during the pre-credit sequence), which is very different to the 1962 version?

+1 well said.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Except so....maybe he couldn't get the rights. Coz I can't see how a Bond fan like Arnold could have ignored that.

I'm amazed if he couldn't get the rights. Surely all Bond related material is property of EON, even Barry's work?

EON penny pinching at its finest!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Except so....maybe he couldn't get the rights. Coz I can't see how a Bond fan like Arnold could have ignored that.

I'm amazed if he couldn't get the rights. Surely all Bond related material is property of EON, even Barry's work?

Like my grandfather always said, "Rich people don't stay rich if they spend money."
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,247
    One thing am counting on is, Romer was announced very early. So I would like to think he spent the bulk of those filming months studying the Bond sound & listening to past Bond scores. so we can get a Lush Orchestral Bond score. I remember Paul Epworth saying he watched the First 13 Bond films to seek the musical code of the songs. And look at how well he produced Skyfall. I don't think it's hard to understand the Bond sound, except the Composer just doesn't want to.

Like my grandfather always said, "Rich people don't stay rich if they spend money."

Wise words.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

EON don't own the Bond theme nor the Goldfinger theme and royalties are paid to Monty Norman for the former and were paid to Barry for the latter when the GF bars were used in Licence to Kill and The GoldenEye overture.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    But they may get a cut of the publishing rights.
    They also used the OHMSS theme in the trailer for Spectre.
    But they may get a cut of the publishing rights.
    They also used the OHMSS theme in the trailer for Spectre.

Yeah, if I remember correctly they also paid royalties to Barry's estate for that.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    So has the rumor that Romer is off the movie been completely debunked?
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    So has the rumor that Romer is off the movie been completely debunked?

It's been, what?, a month since the rumor started. If it were true, you can assume that Romer would have made changes to his social media settings. He stills follows on Instagram the official 007 account and Cary Fukunaga, so there's no bad blood officially.
    Of course, he may have been asked not to do anything before an official replacement is announced (to prevent the "this production is doomed" comments), but they just had the perfect opportunity to make the announcement buried in a press release with the release of the trailer, and they didn't take advantage of it.
    And David Arnold has confirmed that he hadn't been approached lately to write the score, while he would make a great "plan B" regardless of anyone's thoughts on Arnold.
    So, unless Romer was indeed fired weeks ago and that EON is finalizing a deal with a third composer, he's still in charge.
    I really can't wait for Romer to release a few tracks Online....so we know what to expect from his Bond Score. Coz am really concerned about NTTD's Score. A good score really does elevate a film. If the SP score was entirely fresh like SF's, maybe the film would have been better....just maybe.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Like subtil use of the Bond theme in the trailer. Great music overall.
    M_Balje wrote: »

Yeah, something of that ilk...but I doubt that's Romer's music. Romer's music might fit Safin's lair, coz his lair looks & feels Atmospheric & Romer is naturally an Ambient Composer. It's just the rest of the score that concerns me.

Not that subtle

Yeah, something of that ilk...but I doubt that's Romer's music. Romer's music might fit Safin's lair. Coz his lair looks atmospheric & Romer is naturally an Ambient Composer. It's just the rest
    Walecs wrote: »

Not that subtle

Yeah, not the overall music....but I think there's a bit of subtlety in the guitar part of the Bond theme once Bond starts racing and talking to Madeleine. I doubt one can detect that without a proper sound system.
  • Just some harmless speculation....I think Dan Romer is not doing the film. He was very active on Instagram but since the news broke of his possible non-involvement, he has been very very quiet. Especially when the trailer dropped.

More interestingly, the press release for the film's trailer that @antovolk shared did not make mention of his name. The only official mention of Rome's involvement has come from the title reveal in August.

However...............I recently watched Gemini Man (an enjoyable action thriller with amazing CGI and thinly written characters) and loved the music. I wasn't surprised to see Lorne Balfe's name in the credits.

His work on Fallout was terrific. He also comes from Hans Zimmer's troupe of composers and his style is very very very in keeping with his mentor.

I was checking our Balfe on social media and saw that he recently started following Cary Fukunaga's account.............................................................................................................................interesting.

https://www.instagram.com/lornebalfe/?hl=en

Now, it probably means nothing (CJF doesn't follow him back). But it does raise an interesting prospect. After all, Balfe would seem like the perfect person to substitute Romer at late notice.

Am I reading too much into this?
    The thing is there’s been NOTHING after that James Bond Radio tweet. No further look into whether he’s staying or gone. Until something is officially stated, I’m no longer speculating.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 8,009
    Just some harmless speculation....I think Dan Romer is not doing the film. He was very active on Instagram but since the news broke of his possible non-involvement, he has been very very quiet. Especially when the trailer dropped.

More interestingly, the press release for the film's trailer that @antovolk shared did not make mention of his name. The only official mention of Rome's involvement has come from the title reveal in August.

However...............I recently watched Gemini Man (an enjoyable action thriller with amazing CGI and thinly written characters) and loved the music. I wasn't surprised to see Lorne Balfe's name in the credits.

His work on Fallout was terrific. He also comes from Hans Zimmer's troupe of composers and his style is very very very in keeping with his mentor.

I was checking our Balfe on social media and saw that he recently started following Cary Fukunaga's account.............................................................................................................................interesting.

Now, it probably means nothing (CJF doesn't follow him back). But it does raise an interesting prospect. After all, Balfe would seem like the perfect person to substitute Romer at late notice.

Everything in this post is exactly why I wouldn't want Balfe near Bond. And I say that as someone who also liked his score for Fallout.
    One thing I noticed is, Balfe seems to respect established themes/style like he did evidently with Terminator Genisys & Most recently with Fallout. I would love to hear Romer's work....but still worried about his score at the same time. If the rumours are true, Balfe seems a safer choice, even if he's an unconventional one(Newman was as well). But still at this point,nothing is official yet.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 8,009
    One thing I noticed is, Balfe seems to respect established themes/style like he did evidently with Terminator Genisys & Most recently with Fallout. I would love to hear Romer's work....but still worried about his score at the same time. If the rumours are true, Balfe seems a safer choice, even if he's an unconventional one(Newman was as well). But still at this point,nothing is official yet.

He didn't respect the franchise sound with Terminator at all, imo. One or two interesting cues aside, he scored it like a Transformers film. And he stepped into that film after Christoph Beck was booted, so to see a similar situation develop with Bond would not be ideal.

I still feel, like said previously by myself and others, that Romer is still the guy for now. I think that if he weren't, Arnold would likely have gotten the call considering how big a fan Cary is of CR.

But, you never know. Strange things do happen.
    Maybe Cary likes CR but not Arnold’s score? At least thats how I feel about it. Of all the Brosnan era carryovers I wish he was among those left behind.

He didn't respect the franchise sound with Terminator at all, imo. One or two interesting cues aside, he scored it like a Transformers film. And he stepped into that film after Christoph Beck was booted, so to see a similar situation develop with Bond would not be ideal imo.

I still feel, like said previously by myself and others, that Romer is still the guy for now. I think that if he weren't, Arnold would likely have gotten the call considering how big a fan Cary is of CR.

But, you never know. Strange things do happen.

Yeah, you're right about the terminator score....balfe didn't use the theme until the end credits. But I think he followed the style established by fiedel, and there was always going to be a hint of transformers....since he's a REMOTE CONTROL composer & terminator being a film about robots as well. But we'll see who ends up scoring it. Am sure all Bond fans want is a score we can enjoy in the film & on our phones/iPods as well.
    Maybe Cary likes CR but not Arnold’s score? At least thats how I feel about it.

Certainly possible, but my gut says it's more unlikely than not.
    But we'll see who ends up scoring it. Am sure all Bond fans want is a score we can enjoy in the film & on our phones/iPods as well.

Exactly. Best of both worlds.

Maybe Cary likes CR but not Arnold’s score? At least thats how I feel about it.

Certainly possible, but my gut says it's more unlikely than not.
    But we'll see who ends up scoring it. Am sure all Bond fans want is a score we can enjoy in the film & on our phones/iPods as well.

Exactly. Best of both worlds.

Yeah,true.
    Fiedel is the only composer to make really propulsive scoring for the first two, and all done on synthesizers. Everyone else just doing orchestral shit was boring and unsuitable for Terminator.
    Fiedel is the only composer to make really propulsive scoring for the first two, and all done on synthesizers. Everyone else just doing orchestral shit was boring and unsuitable for Terminator.

Yeah, true...Fiedel really knew what he wanted for the franchise. I think the worst might be Elfman's score for SALVATION.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 8,000
    I can’t remember anything past T2. It’s amazing how much none of the later composers learned anything from Fiedel’s method of scoring.

The only composer I can think of that might have done a good follow up score is Eric Serra.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Just some harmless speculation....I think Dan Romer is not doing the film. He was very active on Instagram but since the news broke of his possible non-involvement, he has been very very quiet. Especially when the trailer dropped.

https://open.spotify.com/track/2Mtd0VvFbC2mX44EvGq1cq?si=rQjojk4CR6y_d0wLskusqw One of my favourites.
    I can’t remember anything past T2. It’s amazing how much none of the later composers learned anything from Fiedel’s method of scoring.

The only composer I can think of that might have done a good follow up score is Eric Serra.

Yeah, Serra has a kind futuristic style in his composition coz of his synth style....his Gunbarrel music for Goldeneye sounded very futuristic. It would have worked for terminator as well. I think composers not wanting to follow the style set by previous composers has to do with Ego of some sort. If Romer respects the works of previous composers like Barry, Martin & Arnold...then he's safe. It shouldn't be that hard to score a Bond film. The style is already there. Howard Goodall's score for Johnny English strikes again really reeks of Bond. Just like Edward Shearmur did for the first installment.even it has a goofy feel in some of it's parts. At least Goodall & Shearmur were aware that it's a parody of Bond and decided to give it that Bondian sound.

Yeah, true...Fiedel really knew what he wanted for the franchise. I think the worst might be Elfman's score for SALVATION.

Which, strangely enough, is technically a strong score to my ears, with decent motifs and solid action material. It is, however, just not a good Terminator score.

Marco Beltrami's score for T3 is decent but he had far more success stepping into a franchise with DIE HARD. The only person who was seemingly aware that A Good Day to Die Hard was a Die Hard film was Beltrami. His score is the only thing that worked about that film.

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross would have given it a good go, if they wanted someone who was more in the "hot shit" stage of their careers in the scoring department.

Anyway, Terminator is done now. A shame.

I hope Romer, still officially attached, can look to the best Bond scores and see what made them work, then put his own mark on it.