Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    weboffear wrote: »
    an openly gay actor playing Bond isn't the problem , his playing a straight Bond would be , Ian McKellen for one would be all over the media asking why he wasn't playing a gay Bond , i don't see EON handing someone a stick to beat them with , link to ian McKellen 's thoughts https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ian-mckellen-gay-james-bond_n_594d37dce4b0da2c731b2c82?ri18n=true&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAMrZgNmrXNA6ALRpEueu82bQyrlMu_0ga64_h1R9M3CifL1ENzWzrt-_5DFur7G_2lkLVZoRWUTDuTbfJutjEyMkKFFx_U6q9AgwHPnyr67RpXU0P3RQ9zRGAlWUJMuBbGh2IiJetaD6xPDYA73bX-BpBrBbmQ87YupnbOTO4JV4

Interesting. I don't see the problem with someone gay playing a straight role and vice-versa, but there we go. I do agree, though, EON would probably look to avoid some sad, but inevitable controversy by casting a gay man as Bond.
  • Madden has dated a number of women - including Jenna Coleman. Though there have been rumours that he is bisexual and was dating his 'roommate' who is a man. He hasn't openly 'come out.'

I really don't think it matters these day. Madden is one of the leads of the new Marvel movies. He's won a Golden Globe for Bodyguard and just played significant roles in Rocketman and 1917.

He's a movie-star in the making, regardless of his sexuality. Frankly, the height thing is more of an issue than his sexual preference.

He's basically a mix Pierce Brosnan and Sean Connery.

tumblr_pvvia8uoAD1u2gcsfo3_500.gifv

674e8142d32f94cca334a2d2c4ce7906.jpg

NINTCHDBPICT000518609735-e1567579166990.jpg
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 12,837
    Madden has dated a number of women - including Jenna Coleman.

Lucky prick. She's something else. Great actress too. She'd make a great Bond girl actually.

Madden's height doesn't bother me (Jack O'Connell would still probably be my number one choice) and it really doesn't matter imo whether an actor is gay straight bi asexual non binary etc etc etc. It's acting. Pretend. As long as they're still playing Bond as a straight man who cares what they are in real life.

But I just don't think Madden is up to the job. From what I can tell he seems to have. been suggested because he wore a suit, shot a gun, and had a lot of scenes stood in an office saying "mam" in Bodyguard. But he's not really Bond material imo. Don't think he has the charisma and just seems like a fairly limited actor too, I wasn't impressed by him at all in Bodyguard and I think Craig has raised the standard when it comes to acting ability. A block of wood won't cut it no matter how much they look the part.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    For the list: Tom ellis, 41, 1.92 m tall.
    I do think Richard madden is a bit too short, and a bit too smooth. I'm missing the rough edge. Don't know about his acting, that might polish that up completely of course.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Cavill would be a dream come true for me once Craig is finished.
    mK5lg3yl.jpg

I am fine with that
    Michael Fassbender
    Matthias Schoenaerts

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Any opinions on this fellow, Tom Cullen? I’ve never seen anything that he’s in, but at a glance he has a strong , vintage Bond look.

https://www.whatsontv.co.uk/downton-abbey/downton-newcomer-tom-cullen-terrified-by-filming-102720/
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 4,400
    Is Henry Cavill basically 2019's Pierce Brosnan?

I don't meant that in the sense that they were both once actors who came close to playing Bond (1986 and 2005, respectively). But in terms of looks and style.

They are both drop-dead gorgeous, they both have a certain air of mystery to them. If Cavill was to play Bond, he'd probably have a hint of Craig's brutality, Moore's charm and Connery's sexual charisma. Which is another way of saying he'd be 'Pierce Brosnan's Bond.'

They have that 'movie star' quality to them, despite being middling actors at best. People used to say that Pierce was born to play Bond and Cavill seems not dissimilar.

I think Cavill would be Pierce Brosnan 2.0.

auaBJI1.jpg

Personally, I've grown acclimatised to the more dangerous Bond

• edited January 2020 Posts: 17,279
    I would be very positive to Cavill as Bond – in films not to dissimilar to tone as the Brosnan films. For me, Bond isn't the same without the movie-star looks. Craig and actors who aren't too unlike him in the looks department are too rugged for my liking.

Cavill (or someone like him) would make me excited for a Bond film again.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    If Madden got the role, and he has to be a front runner, it would work against him in some ways. The media, still obsessed with outing celebrities and raking the muck as much as possible, would hound him and dive head first into his private life. They would make his life hell. He would have to ask himself whether it was worth it. He has a Marvel film coming out and his star is rising, does he need Bond and the circus it brings?

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Giving the role to Cavill would be fan service and that doesn't seem to have worked out too well for a certain franchise recently.

I think the way the SW series has gone is a lesson to any studio entity that bowing to fan pressure is not a good idea.

Our wet dreams and desire don't always translate to good ideas.

Craig saw the character going different places good or bad. I don't think BB will deviate from that and giving the role to Brosnan 2.0 is not something I think is on her radar.

I get it and understand those fans that feel their idea of Bond has not been represented in this current incarnation but they have had 20 films previously with this sort of thing.

I can see if BB heads in a similar trajectory not wanting to turn back the clock but do something different.

I've said it before and I'll stick to it, as much as Craig haters/detractors like it, Daniel Craig's era is not going to be forgotten about and be it Turner or whoever you can bet they'll be influenced by his take rather than reverting to the previous Bond to Craig.

Any actor wanting the role is going to be there because they've seen what Craig did with it not because they want to play Brosnan 2.0

This won't be just a case of Craig just being the last guy, the pieces got moved here there was a seismic shift in the way the character is played and represented.

I can't see just a shift back to what went before, I expect a different take on the character but I don't think the personal angle will be dropped, it is a part of the character now and it won't likely be so focused on as it has been here but I doubt it will disappear entirely.

If NTTD is a financial and critical success then I think that is more than likely this will be the case.

Also I think certain members want it to fail as they know that this will be the case and as BB is in control this is why they want EON to sell up, as they feel Nolan or whoever would give them their hearts desire.

I have so.e hope that they're not going to cast a proven plank of wood just because he has a look some people approve of.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    I have so.e hope that they're not going to cast a proven plank of wood just because he has a look some people approve of.

He's not my top choice, but he was excellent in 'The Man from Uncle' and he's no worse an actor than Pierce Brosnan.
    NicNac wrote: »
    If Madden got the role, and he has to be a front runner, it would work against him in some ways. The media, still obsessed with outing celebrities and raking the muck as much as possible, would hound him and dive head first into his private life. They would make his life hell. He would have to ask himself whether it was worth it. He has a Marvel film coming out and his star is rising, does he need Bond and the circus it brings?

Maddens too short.
    Samsu wrote: »
    Michael Fassbender
    Matthias Schoenaerts

Fassbender - Yes.
    Matthias Schoenaerts - Auto rejection for not being British.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Giving the role to Cavill would be fan service and that doesn't seem to have worked out too well for a certain franchise recently.

I think the way the SW series has gone is a lesson to any studio entity that bowing to fan pressure is not a good idea.

Craig saw the character going different places good or bad. I don't think BB will deviate from that and giving the role to Brosnan 2.0 is not something I think is on her radar.

I get it and understand those fans that feel their idea of Bond has not been represented in this current incarnation but they have had 20 films previously with this sort of thing.

I can see if BB heads in a similar trajectory not wanting to turn back the clock but do something different.

I've said it before and I'll stick to it, as much as Craig haters/detractors like it, Daniel Craig's era is not going to be forgotten about and be it Turner or whoever you can bet they'll be influenced by his take rather than reverting to the previous Bond to Craig.

Any actor wanting the role is going to be there because they've seen what Craig did with it not because they want to play Brosnan 2.0

This won't be just a case of Craig just being the last guy, the pieces got moved here there was a seismic shift in the way the character is played and represented.

I can't see just a shift back to what went before, I expect a different take on the character but I don't think the personal angle will be dropped, it is a part of the character now and it won't likely be so focused on as it has been here but I doubt it will disappear entirely.

If NTTD is a financial and critical success then I think that is more than likely this will be the case.

Also I think certain members want it to fail as they know that this will be the case and as BB is in control this is why they want EON to sell up, as they feel Nolan or whoever would give them their hearts desire.

I think Craig's Bond simply followed the cinematic trend at the time. More realism. Everything taken seriously. Character introspection. Things like Bourne and Nolan's Batman where the big hitters then.

I think bigger films are pushing back towards slightly lighter fare, and I expect Bond to follow suit.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I would have preferred Nikolaj Coster-Waldau over Madden. Although he is 49 now.
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQT29dNbNqWGWpKo5sX4eKOCBziA9PUSNxUyfOGv7HXNMy6B2Xo
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTLjjEJS9gHbX4Q1lMDh1B6gGmD-J5FoKNlNhV89iblCmblt4gi
    I would have preferred Nikolaj Coster-Waldau over Madden. Although he is 49 now.

And Danish…
    suavejmf wrote: »
    M_Blaise wrote: »

He's not my top choice, but he was excellent in 'The Man from Uncle' and he's no worse an actor than Pierce Brosnan.

I thought he was very robotic in UNCLE, I don't think he is capable of playing the same character as in the series.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

And Danish…

He has no business with Inga Bergstrom, then.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    After watching the first episode of the horrible soap opera called The Witcher I am inclined to conclude once more Cavill is synonym for plank of wood. The guy can't act his way out of a paper bag if his life depended on it. How on earth is he supposed to be the next Bond incarnate!? Time and time again I have given him chances, but he just doesn't have it, let alone charisma. He has the face, the voice, the length and the body, but that's where it ends.

And Danish…

When I saw Robb Stark's name couldn't help but mentioning Jaime Lannister :D . He is a terrific actor imo.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 17,279

And Danish…

Who knows!

And Danish…

When I saw Robb Stark's name couldn't help but mentioning Jaime Lannister :D . He is a terrific actor imo.

I take it these are GOT characters – a show which I know nothing about. But I agree, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is a terrific actor. Would be cool to see him play a Bond villain. :-)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    After watching the first episode of the horrible soap opera called The Witcher I am inclined to conclude once more Cavill is synonym for plank of wood. The guy can't act his way out of a paper bag if his life depended on it. How on earth is he supposed to be the next Bond incarnate!? Time and time again I have given him chances, but he just doesn't have it, let alone charisma. He has the face, the voice, the length and the body, but that's where it ends.

I disagree on The Witcher. I think he plays t exactly as he's supposed to. He doesn't have emotions, or they're strongly subdued, as he's a Witcher (for whatever that may be in the end). But I find the serie interesting as well, allthough a bit convoluted.With better editing things would've been far easier to understand.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 2,541

And Danish…

Who knows!

And Danish…

I take it these are GOT characters – a show which I know nothing about. But I agree, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is a terrific actor. Would be cool to see him play a Bond villain. :-)

Ah that's alright, it's a good show the first 4 seasons were Gold. Give it a try. He played sort of Anti Hero. Here's a clip of madden and him .

Here's a few clips with other actors/actress with him on the show. Enjoy these you might like it ;)
    Diana Rigg

Jonathan Pryce

My favorite one with Charles Dance whom i would love to see as bond Villian or M

And Danish…

Who knows!

And Danish…

Ah that's alright, it's a good show the first 4 seasons were Gold. Give it a try. He played sort of Anti Hero. Here's a clip of madden and him .

Here's a few clips with other actors/actress with him on the show. Enjoy these you might like it ;)
    Diana Rigg

Jonathan Pryce

My favorite one with Charles Dance whom i would love to see as bond Villian or M

Thanks! Don't know if GoT is something for me really. Gave the first four episodes a go when the series first started, but it didn't really make an impression. Forgotten most about it since.

Lucikly, there's other stuff to watch where Coster-Waldau is among the cast!
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    talos7 wrote: »
    Any opinions on this fellow, Tom Cullen? I’ve never seen anything that he’s in, but at a glance he has a strong , vintage Bond look.

https://www.whatsontv.co.uk/downton-abbey/downton-newcomer-tom-cullen-terrified-by-filming-102720/

He looks every bit the Bond everyone expects.
    Shardlake wrote: »

Absolute fantastic post. Cavill reeks of the Brosnan era Bond. It's paint by numbers, fanboy wishlist stuff. Craig was a radical departure and it's mostly paid dividends. Casino Royale and Skyfall are miles beyond anything since the Connery era. Quantum Of Solace had some great moments too. I have a feeling No Time To Die is going to blow some serious socks off too.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 12,837

I don't meant that in the sense that they were both once actors who came close to playing Bond (1986 and 2005, respectively). But in terms of looks and style.

They are both drop-dead gorgeous, they both have a certain air of mystery to them. If Cavill was to play Bond, he'd probably have a hint of Craig's brutality, Moore's charm and Connery's sexual charisma. Which is another way of saying he'd be 'Pierce Brosnan's Bond.'

They have that 'movie star' quality to them, despite being middling actors at best. People used to say that Pierce was born to play Bond and Cavill seems not dissimilar.

auaBJI1.jpg

I don't see it personally. I've seen Cavill in a couple of things now (UNCLE, Mission Impossible) and to me he just doesn't have that movie star quality that Brosnan had in spades.

Brosnan isn't an amazing actor, that's true. I think he is much better than people give him credit for, he was great in The Tailor of Panama, The Matador and The Foreigner, but he does have a tendency to overact at times if he doesn't have a good director to reign him in. But he is capable of great performances in the right circumstances. And like you said, he has a movie star quality about him. Charisma and presence. The guy just oozes cool, and he can carry a film very well. Look at DAD. A mess of a film in a lot of ways but especially tonally. We go from hard edged North Korea stuff to Roger Moore meets XxX from one scene to another. But Brosnan carries it effortlessly. He stops the film from being unwatchable and makes it feel weirdly consistent.

Cavill imo doesn't have that presence. He can't carry a film like Brosnan. He looks the part but he's not a movie star. He's a model. A block of wood. And like I said, Brosnan is capable of genuine greatness under the right circumstances/director. Is Cavill? I haven't seen him in anything that suggests he is.

I can see why you made the comparison but Brosnan is just in another league completely to Cavill imo. I'm not against another Brosnan type Bond at all (although I don't think it will happen while BB is in charge, those days are gone). I loved him as Bond. But Cavill is not Brosnan and I think it would show. I think he'd be a terrible choice. Thank god he doesn't seem like Barbara's type at all (I don't even think she'd have casted Pierce, he was Cubby's final Bond really). I'm expecting another Craig type personally. Someone a bit more edgy and dangerous.

I think it says something about Cavill that there have been a couple of attempts at building a franchise around him and both failed. He was Superman, one of the most iconic superhero characters, in an age where any old superhero crap makes a billion dollars. And it didn't work. He had his own Bond esque vehicle with UNCLE. And it didn't work. And now he's gone back to TV (I know, the gap between them has closed a lot, but still, you'd think a big franchise actor who's openly said he's in it for the money wouldn't have to take a lower paying TV gig). Sure, the films themselves weren't up to much. But a movie star can turn terrible films into money makers. Look at Brosnan. Massive as Bond, heralded as the best since Connery, even when he had some seriously dodgy scripts to work with. As well as being bad in the role, I think Cavill could also be bad for the success of the series. He just doesn't seem to have "it" imo. Keep him well away from Bond please.

auaBJI1.jpg

I don't see it personally. I've seen Cavill in a couple of things now (UNCLE, Mission Impossible) and to me he just doesn't have that movie star quality that Brosnan had in spades.

Brosnan isn't an amazing actor, that's true. I think he is much better than people give him credit for, he was great in The Tailor of Panama, The Matador and The Foreigner, but he does have a tendency to overact at times if he doesn't have a good director to reign him in. But he is capable of great performances in the right circumstances. And like you said, he has a movie star quality about him. Charisma and presence. The guy just oozes cool, and he can carry a film very well. Look at DAD. A mess of a film in a lot of ways but especially tonally. We go from hard edged North Korea stuff to Roger Moore meets XxX from one scene to another. But Brosnan carries it effortlessly. He stops the film from being unwatchable and makes it feel weirdly consistent.

Cavill imo doesn't have that presence. He can't carry a film like Brosnan. He looks the part but he's not a movie star. He's a model. A block of wood. And like I said, Brosnan is capable of genuine greatness under the right circumstances/director. Is Cavill? I haven't seen him in anything that suggests he is.

I can see why you made the comparison but Brosnan is just in another league completely to Cavill imo. I'm not against another Brosnan type Bond at all (although I don't think it will happen while BB is in charge, those days are gone). I loved him as Bond. But Cavill is not Brosnan and I think it would show. I think he'd be a terrible choice. Thank god he doesn't seem like Barbara's type at all (I don't even think she'd have casted Pierce, he was Cubby's final Bond really). I'm expecting another Craig type personally. Someone a bit more edgy and dangerous.

I think it says something about Cavill that there have been a couple of attempts at building a franchise around him and both failed. He was Superman, one of the most iconic superhero characters, in an age where any old superhero crap makes a billion dollars. And it didn't work. He had his own Bond esque vehicle with UNCLE. And it didn't work. And now he's gone back to TV (I know, the gap between them has closed a lot, but still, you'd think a big franchise actor who's openly said he's in it for the money wouldn't have to take a lower paying TV gig). Sure, the films themselves weren't up to much. But a movie star can turn terrible films into money makers. Look at Brosnan. Massive as Bond, heralded as the best since Connery, even when he had some seriously dodgy scripts to work with. As well as being bad in the role, I think Cavill could also be bad for the success of the series. He just doesn't seem to have "it" imo. Keep him well away from Bond please.
    I mean, yeah.
    Roadphill wrote: »
    Cavill has the classic Bond look, to a tee. Plus in a couple of fight scenes, not least the latest M:I film, he looks like he hits like a Freight Train. He's also improved a lot as an actor.
    My only concern would be his huge build, which he would definitely need to trim down a bit. Other than that, the guy absolutely screams Bond.

Ironic as wasn't it Campbell who told him he needed to lose a bit of weight during the CR auditions?