Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

I think it is not a priority for me right now, I am just going to enjoy the build up and eventual release of NTTD.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Cavill would be a dream come true for me once Craig is finished.
    mK5lg3yl.jpg
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    parkert5 wrote: »
    Shardlake you may be on to something with the next Bond is barely know to the masses at this point but, that actually helps someone like Aidan Turner. He is not known to the masses. Others to consider here would be Jack Huston, Tom Cullen, James Norton and Dan Stevens they may be known as potential Bond to people like us who are hardcore Bond enthusiast but they are not known to the masses the way Idris Elba, Tom Hardy, Tom Hiddleston and Henry Cavill are.

Turner is a star of a very popular TV show in the UK, he's far more famous in this country than Craig was when he was announced.

Craig was primarily a character actor and it was only really Layer Cake that bought him to a wider audience, his role in Tomb Raider was pretty forgettable.

If Turner doesn't capitalise on the exposure Poldark has given him he needs to fire his agent.

I can't believe that he is going to mope about in the shadows waiting for Barbara to give him the call.

If Turner is that great surely someone else has seen him and wants to cast him in that big role that will bring him to an audience outside of the UK.

Possibly Marvel have their eye on him.

If they were looking to fast track the next Bond film with the new guy onto out screens within 2 years of NTTD' release, then I would say Turner would be in a much stronger place to be the guy.

Though that looks most unlikely and the recasting of Bond won't be something they'll rush, so we are looking at 4 -5 years then it is very likely few more contenders will pop up and by that time Turner will be old news.

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Shardlake you may be on to something with the next Bond is barely know to the masses at this point but, that actually helps someone like Aidan Turner. He is not known to the masses. Others to consider here would be Jack Huston, Tom Cullen, James Norton and Dan Stevens they may be known as potential Bond to people like us who are hardcore Bond enthusiast but they are not known to the masses the way Idris Elba, Tom Hardy, Tom Hiddleston and Henry Cavill are.

Turner is a star of a very popular TV show in the UK, he's far more famous in this country than Craig was when he was announced.

Craig was primarily a character actor and it was only really Layer Cake that bought him to a wider audience, his role in Tomb Raider was pretty forgettable.

If Turner doesn't capitalise on the exposure Poldark has given him he needs to fire his agent.

I can't believe that he is going to mope about in the shadows waiting for Barbara to give him the call.

If Turner is that great surely someone else has seen him and wants to cast him in that big role that will bring him to an audience outside of the UK.

If they were looking to fast track the next Bond film with the new guy onto out screens within 2 years of NTTD' release, then I would say Turner would be in a much stronger place to be the guy.

Though that looks most unlikely and the recasting of Bond won't be something they'll rush, so we are looking at 4 -5 years then it is very likely few more contenders will pop up and by that time Turner will be old news.

Wow, I can't believe I'm saying this but you could be very well right. We have to wait and see, as always.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I might not always agree with you, but that was a well written and explained post @Mendes4Lyfe
    You articulated your point well. =D>
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Cavill has the classic Bond look, to a tee. Plus in a couple of fight scenes, not least the latest M:I film, he looks like he hits like a Freight Train. He's also improved a lot as an actor.
    My only concern would be his huge build, which he would definitely need to trim down a bit. Other than that, the guy absolutely screams Bond.
    Roadphill wrote: »
    Cavill has the classic Bond look, to a tee. Plus in a couple of fight scenes, not least the latest M:I film, he looks like he hits like a Freight Train. He's also improved a lot as an actor.
    My only concern would be his huge build, which he would definitely need to trim down a bit. Other than that, the guy absolutely screams Bond.

He looks more like a chippendale to me than Bond.

He looks more like a chippendale to me than Bond.

Well I know you don't want to entertain anyone other than Turner, my friend. Cavill in a suit looks like a classic Bond to me
    Anyway, it's all conjecture.
    I'm sure Babs and MW have put feelers out to people, but they will no doubt still try to tempt Craig back again.
    I'm sure Babs and MW have put feelers out to people, but they will no doubt still try to tempt Craig back again.

If that would be the case and Turner wouldn't be 'available' then I'd take Cavill over Craig by a large margin.

If that would be the case and Turner wouldn't be 'available' then I'd take Cavill over Craig by a large margin.

Yeah, I know what you mean.
    I absolutely loved CR, but I since then, I felt fairly cold to Craig's portrayal. In fairness to him, I think a lot of it is more to do with with the tropes that have crept in his tenure. Constant introspection, going rogue and the dreaded 'scooby gang' being the biggest offenders for me.

I am still hopeful for NTTD, but certainly ready for a clean slate. Craig's tenure started out with a freshness about it, but that was 13 years ago and after four(most likely five) films of virtually identical tone, it feels as stale as old bread, now.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    When he first came on the scene I was a huge supporter of Cavill for the role, based almost entirely on his appearance; if you put him in a line up and ask a group of ten people to pick James Bond, chances are eight or nine out of ten are going to choose him. But over time my support has waned ; he is a one note performer who too often is obviously "acting". They could do worse than Cavill, but they could definitely do better.
    I'm liking Henry Cavill more and more. I thought he did quite well in TMFU, and was very good in MI:Fallout. His fight scenes in particular were most impressive. Similar to Hugh Jackman, Cavill has a similar body style that allows him to gain a lot of muscle. However, he can trim it down enough for Bond that he isn't a muscle bound OO7.
    Having lost out on CR and with time to grow as a man and an actor, I'd be very surprised if EON don't have his name on their list.
    You mention Hugh Jackman; he is one of the greatest missed opportunities of the franchise. Jackman is one of very few actors who can deftly play a character who is both brutal and charming. Had he been cast we would have had a Bond with the strongest traits of both Moore and Craig, what a combination.
    I think Jackman was a missed opportunity. He was a natural successor to Pierce Brosnan. Had EON continued down the same path as the Brosnan movies. However I'm not sure Hugh was right for CR, I cant see anyone else in the role other than Craig.
    If Jackman had gotten the Bond role, I think it would be a successful marriage for all involved. He's a very popular actor with men and women. Has a huge international following, and has the looks, charm and talent required.
    For some reason, poor old Hugh was considered too Fey for the role.
    What could've been. Ahh well.
  • I'll confess to not having seen 'Bodyguard' yet. But isn't this guy James Bond?

gsayzafyggm244ntcci6.png
    I'll confess to not having seen 'Bodyguard' yet. But isn't this guy James Bond?

gsayzafyggm244ntcci6.png

There are worse choices. He is very small, though, with quite a soft voice.
    talos7 wrote: »
    You mention Hugh Jackman; he is one of the greatest missed opportunities of the franchise. Jackman is one of very few actors who can deftly play a character who is both brutal and charming. Had he been cast we would have had a Bond with the strongest traits of both Moore and Craig, what a combination.

That would have been great. I was subjected, by my wife, to a god awful Rom-com a few years ago where Jackman played an English lord that had travelled forward in time. His accent, unlike the film, was impeccable.
    talos7 wrote: »

That would have been great. I was subjected, by my wife, to a god awful Rom-com a few years ago where Jackman played an English lord that had travelled forward in time. His accent, unlike the film, was impeccable.
    And combine that with what he brought to “Prisoners” Oh Well...

Shardlake wrote: »

This.
    I'll confess to not having seen 'Bodyguard' yet. But isn't this guy James Bond?

gsayzafyggm244ntcci6.png

There are worse choices. He is very small, though, with quite a soft voice.

Wouldn’t object. Just let him keep his accent ;)
    No to Robb Stark.
    No to Robb Stark.

006, then. An heritage thing ;)
    Univex wrote: »
    No to Robb Stark.

Ha. I'd be fine with 006 ;)
    No to Robb Stark.

So Aidan Turner is OO6, and Lashana Lynch is OO7. Great, all sorted. :D ;)
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Benny wrote: »
    No to Robb Stark.

Scrap the 00 business, Turner&Lynch sounds like a killer noir novela! Do it ;)

Maybe Lynch-a-Turner...no, that just doesn't sound right, does it? :-D
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Is Turner & Lynch the sequel to Turner & Hooch?
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 6,677
    @Murdock, I hope that doesn't bait the racists, bigots, misogynists, misandrists, and the pc or the anti-pc crowds, or were doomed here :-D

That being said, I do find Lynch very attractive. There, made my disclaimer.
    Benny wrote: »
    No to Robb Stark.

If that'd be the case it's exit Gideon, the end of an era. I'd be rewatching classic Bond until the end of time in my leather lazy chair, cigar in one hand, a cognac in the other, pondering about the good old times.
    892ae4520c2b957d1f8ad07035ec09cd.gif
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 2,896
    Before you read on, don't shoot the messenger (he doesn't believe in the message!), he's merely bringing you the following news:

Pierce Brosnan has told USA Today that he approves of a female James Bond: “I’m ready for a woman to play it. I think it would be magnificent to see a woman play it."
    Brosnan added, "I think we've watched the guys do it for the last 40 years. Get out of the way, guys, and put a woman up there. I think it would be exhilarating, it would be exciting." However, "I don't think that's going to happen with the Broccolis. I don't think that is going to happen under their watch." Nevertheless, Brosnan says Bond must cope with the present. "The #MeToo movement has been relevant and significant and well needed in our society, so they'll have to address that."