Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Walecs wrote: »
    Doesn’t surprise me either, but I could actually roll with that because I feel any explanation would have sounded weak, so just leaving it to my imagination works for me. Also, I’m just happy to have that actor back hamming it up because I’ve missed him, and his stand-in for the last two was pretty lackluster.

Then how are we supposed to know that he's dead for good this time?

I assume they won't throw him down a shaft that will deprive them of actually seeing the dead body.
    Remember TLJ has a 91% and was mostly hated by fans.

Because fans tend to be a lot more close minded than they want to admit.

True that. And most fans know nothing about screenwriting or filmmaking, even though they act as if they did.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Just saw the film. Definitely the worst of the sequel trilogy. Pacing was off, there was just no time to breath. Trying to please everyone after TLJ, this film will end up disappointing everyone. There's good in it, but as an overall experience - because SW must be a collective experience - felt too much like an overstuffed fan service operation. There's no way people will like the explanation of Rey backstory. Impossible.

Ah, regarding the Emperor
    He directly say: "But I'm dead". Might sound weird but at the same time his spirit is alive - "all the Sith lives in me" - and his acolytes on Exogol helped to assemble his body with both cloning and dark Sith practices. That's the explanation. Palpatine directly refers to his monologue in Ep. III where tells Anakin the story about his Master and how the found a way to cheat death. The answer is: "Sith's unnatural practices". That's how he's still "alive".
    Yeah, it seems pretty much everyone hated this movie's pacing for some reason. I saw the leaked scene of
    Kylo's death and that was definitely rushed. Which is too bad because the scene where he revives Rey is actually very poignant but after Ben dies he just falls back and the movie cuts to Leia's reuniting with the Force and that's it.

Thanks for the Emperor explanation, @matt_u
    Just out of the movie and must admit I really enjoyed it. As an audience member you do have to just go with it and try not to dwell too much on certain plot holes, but to be fair what Star Wars film is perfect?
    Overall there is much to enjoy, the filmmakers have thrown everything at this story. There are course corrections from The Last Jedi which I could have done without but they’re not big enough to ruin my enjoyment of that instalment. I’d recommend it to all and recommend that you allow yourself to get swept up in it!
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 2,107
    I need to see it again in January with a friend. Now, that it's been about 20 hours since I saw it, I must admit it had a lot going on and might be too much for just one movie. But I didn't hate it. It was fun adventure film and it wasn't RotJ part two, which was one of my concerns before seeing it. I might like it less on my second viewing. But I think Abrams and team gave us as good of a conclusion they could with what they were given.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Currently rewatching TFA before I watch TROS in a few hours, I have a feeling I maybe accepting of the Emperors inclusion.
    It's always been obvious to me the melted Vader mask was in some way manipulating Kylo.
    My sixteen old daughter went to the three movie marathon and we did not need to ask her about her opinion, the big smile on her face said everything. This trilogy was clearly made for her generation while The original one was for mine, we both clearly enjoy the same universe but in its different trilogies.
    We will be seeing it as a family sometime in the Christmas period, that was always a no-brainer.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 12,258
    Not sure if I will see Rise of Skywalker in the theater or not yet. My ranking as of now would go like this:

Great
    1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Return of the Jedi
    3. Star Wars / A New Hope

Good
    4. Revenge of the Sith

Mixed Bags
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. The Phantom Menace
    7. The Last Jedi
    8. The Force Awakens

It feels weird to rank the prequels higher than the sequels, but at this point it’s just where I’m at. They carry more individual flaws, but hold my interest better these days. My interest level in the sequels has just plummeted in the last few months.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    TFA is OK I think the last act is decent, I could easily remove the Disney films from head Canon as TLJ messed up the trilogy for me. It will be interesting to see how much of a course correct TROS ends up being if at all.
    What bothers me so much about TFA is that it’s very much a retread of the original. I liked some of the characters and a couple action scenes, but nothing else really stood out to me as special. It’s not riddled with problems the way other SW films are, but it frustrates me with how safe it is.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I just can’t rank the sequels below the prequels, not with how much the prequels are riddled with bad dialogue, bad acting, over reliance of CGI, etc. TFA may play it safe, but it at least had newer charismatic actors like Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, and Oscar Issac oozing with personality. Especially was pleasant to see Harrison Ford looking engaged for the first time in a long while and Mark Hamill easily gives his best and most compelling performance as Luke in TLJ.

The prequels had Ewan McGregor, but he alone couldn’t save it. At least he may possibly get something better out of the Disney+ spin-off because he was the best thing to come out of that trilogy.
    TFA I gave a pass to in the end as appreciated it was a set up movie as well as introducing Star Wars to a new generation, it was admittedly safe though aspects of it I liked. Just about to head into TROS I suspect this may be more of a true sequel to TFA so I am prepared, I hope the film is at least entertaining and not too many characters are ruined lol
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    edited December 2019 Posts: 373
    Didn't like it at the start but it won me over about halfway through. I guess it was a fun way to kill two hours and I'm looking forward to seeing it again with my daughter in a few hours... but the beginning really let the film down. It's fair to say it does pick up steam and get better but... the start is a mess and makes it difficult to get into.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    I enjoyed it. A nice closure to the sequel trilogy imo.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 23,267
    Just got out of cinema the film is at times barking mad, it was not as destructive to the saga as I thought it would be. Its the best film in the Sequel trilogy for me. I won't deny some things are bad, though in the so bad it's good category.

TROS is a film you need to buy into, as soon as I saw
    Snokes in the tanks in Palpatines lair
    I was locked in, I knew we were going to get a crazy film.
    Rey uses Lukes X-Wing, I knew that thing could still bloody fly.
    I have seperated the trilogies in my head Canon that made it easier to enjoy TROS, I will only compare TROS with the other two films in this trilogy. I will say that J. J. should have just made all three films IMO.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Birdleson Does your blood still boil if someone says Star Wars: A New Hope instead of just Star Wars?
    Watching TROS did remind me of when I watched ROTJ at the cinema as a kid, so admittedly some nostalgia did work on me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    How many on here saw STAR WARS at the cinema in 1977? I did. I remember the trailer months before and thinking it looked like nothing that I had seen before. I wasn't into the hype (I was a freshman in high school) and didn't see it for a week or so after release (I saw the next two opening night). That was certainly one invested audience. I thought it was great, but I always was a little suspicious of anything that seemed to sweep everyone up into a fervor, so I was reserved in my enthusiasm at first.

I did. There was an insanely long line outside the cinema.
    I have seperated the trilogies in my head Canon that made it easier to enjoy TROS, I will only compare TROS with the other two films in this trilogy. I will say that J. J. should have just made all three films IMO.

IMO it should have been Rian Johnson or someone else.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    How many on here saw STAR WARS at the cinema in 1977? I did. I remember the trailer months before and thinking it looked like nothing that I had seen before. I wasn't into the hype (I was a freshman in high school) and didn't see it for a week or so after release (I saw the next two opening night). That was certainly one invested audience. I thought it was great, but I always was a little suspicious of anything that seemed to sweep everyone up into a fervor, so I was reserved in my enthusiasm at first.

My dad saw it 17 times in theaters back in 77. Apparently a theater in New Jersey was running it for 6 months straight.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

My dad saw it 17 times in theaters back in 77. Apparently a theater in New Jersey was running it for 6 months straight.

That wasn't unheard off for the big films (THE GODFATHER, THE EXORCIST, JAWS, Bond films etc.). They would stay in the theatre for many months (no VHS, discs, downloads or the like, they had to leave it there long enough to satisfy all needs.

Much different now. A May theater release is now an August DVD release. I remember Spectre coming out in November and getting the Bluray before Valentine's Day
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The only recent examples I can think of films staying on for at least six months were TITANIC and AVATAR. Those films had real legs in theaters, didn’t get actual video releases until the end of the next year.
  • Just seen The Rise of Skywalker, really enjoyed it thought it was good and dealt well with the hanging threads from TFA and TLJ.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    For anyone who saw it, was the NTTD trailer attached?
    @Birdleson I look forward to your thoughts on the film.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 23,267
    jake24 wrote: »

In the UK a butchered version of the trailer with a narration by Q played before TROS
  • jake24 wrote: »

In the UK a butchered version of the trailer with a narration by Q played before TROS

I'm in the UK, I had the full trailer before TROS.
    jake24 wrote: »

I'm in the UK, I had the full trailer before TROS.

Did you have Q sat at a desk talking about Bond?
    Well, I enjoyed it significantly more than TLJ, but that is not saying much on its own, as I hated that one.

I found the first two-thirds of THE RISE OF SKYWALKER to be quite fun, and I was mainly happily going along for the ride. A cloying negative throughout: the banter between the three leads wasn't working, much as the filmmakers were going for that Luke/Leia/Han vibe; that aspect fell flat. I dislike that Po (I have for all three films), but Rey is quite a compelling character. Fin was so good in that first appearance, but has been hardly impressive in the films since.
    The storyline seemed to come out of left field (like an afterthought that, though dealing with Lord Palpatine and the origin of Rey, felt unrelated to what had gone before). It was also pretty.

The third act is where I seriously lost interest in what was happening on the screen. "My magic is stronger", "now my magic is stronger", back and forth, live die, live again, die agin, etc...I was falling asleep. And we seem to just get moment after moment that were set up to apparently elicit audience applause. Very tedious.

So, right now:

SW/TESB

ROTJ/TFA
    ROTS

TROS
    AOTC
    TPM
    TLJ

Interesting ranking; I like seeing ROTS above several others (it’s the one film outside the original trilogy I particularly enjoy a lot). Glad you got some enjoyment out of TROS. Still unsure if I will go to the theater myself - maybe once the big crowds die down.