Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• barryt007 wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    What I hope for personally, is mission-based adventures, around 2hrs - 2hrs 10 mins long as opposed to lengthy character explorations. Bring back at least some more fun and carefreeness, while still presenting us a spy thriller. The films can also take a step back in terms of scale, without feeling like Bond on budget.

That's what I want to see. What I expect we'll get is quite different; I guess character explorations are here to stay, the films will tend to be a bit longer and rooted in drama rather than a lighter tone. I also think it's telling with EON picking directors like Forster, Mendes, and Fukunaga that films like these are here to stay – potentially for a long time.

As to where Bond ends up – on the big screen or streaming; I really don't care. I don't go to the cinema often anymore.

I want him to stay on the big screen it wouldn't feel the same plus I don't go to movies often so the pace they are doing is perfect for me.

I just prefer watching movies at home rather than at a cinema. No people talking loudly, sitting on their phones throughout the film, eating noisily, etc. It's rarely worth the price going to the cinema, IMO.

I kind of agree with that.
    I took my dad to see SP on opening night and,when I mentioned he could come with us to see NTTD,he refused,saying it was so loud it almost deafened him.

He will wait until I get the DVD.

Cinemas do crank up the sound, don't they (but for a reason, of course). The cinemas I have access to aren't the most impressive ones, so you're really just paying to see a film on a larger screen with the volume turned up a bit. No IMAX or something like that.

Cinemas play at reference level volume. Every film should sound to the viewer to be at the same volume whichever cinema you see it in.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,279
    barryt007 wrote: »
    What I hope for personally, is mission-based adventures, around 2hrs - 2hrs 10 mins long as opposed to lengthy character explorations. Bring back at least some more fun and carefreeness, while still presenting us a spy thriller. The films can also take a step back in terms of scale, without feeling like Bond on budget.

That's what I want to see. What I expect we'll get is quite different; I guess character explorations are here to stay, the films will tend to be a bit longer and rooted in drama rather than a lighter tone. I also think it's telling with EON picking directors like Forster, Mendes, and Fukunaga that films like these are here to stay – potentially for a long time.

As to where Bond ends up – on the big screen or streaming; I really don't care. I don't go to the cinema often anymore.

I want him to stay on the big screen it wouldn't feel the same plus I don't go to movies often so the pace they are doing is perfect for me.

I just prefer watching movies at home rather than at a cinema. No people talking loudly, sitting on their phones throughout the film, eating noisily, etc. It's rarely worth the price going to the cinema, IMO.

I took my dad to see SP on opening night and,when I mentioned he could come with us to see NTTD,he refused,saying it was so loud it almost deafened him.

Cinemas do crank up the sound, don't they (but for a reason, of course). The cinemas I have access to aren't the most impressive ones, so you're really just paying to see a film on a larger screen with the volume turned up a bit. No IMAX or something like that.

Cinemas play at reference level volume. Every film should sound to the viewer to be at the same volume whichever cinema you see it in.

I'm sure I've experienced varying levels of sound from cinema to cinema. Not all the time of course, but in certain cases.

I'm sure I've experienced varying levels of sound from cinema to cinema. Not all the time of course, but in certain cases.

I have for sure.
    But im talking a while ago,i'm sure things have changed.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,279

I have for sure.
    But im talking a while ago,i'm sure things have changed.

And I live in a small town (with other nearby cinemas also in small towns); none of the cinemas are ideal I think when it comes to sound and overall experience. Nor do I think they care whether they play to a reference level volume or not.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 1,661
    How about Bond 26 called

MY NAME IS BOND

I think that would work with a new actor in the role. If it's released in 2022 (which it won't!) that title would be a nice way to sum up 60 years of the franchise.

As for the plot, AI/Robots vs the 00 division would be a strong plot. Perhaps a bit sci-fi in tone but that would be a departure from the more gritty-ish vibe of Craig's Bond films. I would like to see a big shift in tone for the next Bond actor. I don't mean invisible cars but something a more more sci-fi to make the franchise feel a bit more fantastical. Craig's era was influenced by the Bourne films and Jack Bauer 24 tv show but Bond 26 will be in the third decade of the 21st century so it seems the ideal time to change the narrative tone.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    How about Bond 26 called

MY NAME IS BOND

I think that would work with a new actor in the role. If it's released in 2022 (which it won't!) that title would be a nice way to sum up 60 years of the franchise.

As for the plot, AI/Robots vs the 00 division would be a strong plot. Perhaps a bit sci-fi in tone but that would be a departure from the more gritty-ish vibe of Craig's Bond films. I would like to see a big shift in tone for the next Bond actor. I don't mean invisible cars but something a more more sci-fi to make the franchise feel a bit more fantastical. Craig's era was influenced by the Bourne films and Jack Bauer 24 tv show but Bond 26 will be in the third decade of the 21st century so it seems the ideal time to change the narrative tone.
    I seriously doubt they will go in the sci-fi direction. Every time Bond has tried to do that in the past, the following film usually brings Bond right back down to earth again, usually with an attempt to go right back to the source material -

YOLT > OHMSS
    MR > FYEO
    DAD > CR

The reason why the legacy has lasted so long is because it hasn't strayed too far from the roots that Fleming wrote, and each time it does depart it is usually seen as a mistake, which is rectified by the following movie.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 11,425
    After Craig gone I want Bond 26 to be a soft reboot like Goldeneye with a new James Bond but with the same M, Moneypenny and Q.

I'd like them to keep at least one cast member as a hold over. Keeps the unbroken link back to Dr No.

However of the current lot only Whishaw really works IMO. Harris is okay but not great and Fiennes can go. Fiennes is the biggest disappointment for me. Although perhaps he'd work better with a younger Bond.
    As long as EON is still making them I trust the direction they go in. If they sell the franchise thats where I worry.

This reminds me of where the Batman film series would go after Christian Bale and Christopher Nolan. The Dark Knight trilogy was the best Batman films ever made after them the franchise went to shit IMO. I worry this will be the same with Craig. I hope im wrong.
    At present I am not trying to think about it. All I know is that I like the harder tone of the DC films a lot. Whoever takes over? I hope this remains?
  • OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    I want to know how many people think the series will go on yet another hiatus or if there'll be imminent recasting/gearing for Bond 26.
    Aslong
    OOWolf wrote: »
    I want to know how many people think the series will go on yet another hiatus or if there'll be imminent recasting/gearing for Bond 26.

I don’t think we’ll see bond 26 any earlier than 2024.

It took Eon 5 years just for a spectre sequel. Imagine how long a whole reboot would take
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited December 2019 Posts: 1,165
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Aslong

It took Eon 5 years just for a spectre sequel. Imagine how long a whole reboot would take
    There are factors beyond EON that you may be unaware of which account for several of these hiatuses. But no, it's easier to pretend that they're just slow and lazy.
    Minion wrote: »
    Aslong

There are factors beyond EON that you may be unaware of which account for several of these hiatuses. But no, it's easier to pretend that they're just slow and lazy.
    +1
    Only the uninformed think otherwise.
    Aslong

What a depressing thought? :((
    EON will surprise us all in 2022 with an original screenplay by Denis Villeneuve. A little-known british actor with a very canonical Bond look and surprisingly good acting chops will take on the mantle and the game will be on.

One can wish...
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I thinks it's time for EON to let go. Being handled in the family has long been one of the charms of the franchise, but this has also led to some level of casual complacency: ridiculously long gaps, catering to stars and directors, the bowing to the fashionable societal pressures of the day, indulgent attempts at universe building, etc.

I would love to see the property wind up in the hands of a true fan of the character, who, while obviously needing to placate production companies and so on, never loses sight of what has made this character great and what are the core conceits that shouldn't be meddled with).

Do you really think another company involved won't take more advantages of the property than EON do.

Universe building is what franchises are all about now, if someone else gets this, they'll Marvel it to death and they won't do with it what you want them to do, unless of course @Birdleson you are ponying the money up for its rights.

I know you are disappointed where the series has gone and it isn't your bag but if this slips out the hands of the family that bought it to the world and nurtured it ...... well be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.
    Couldn't agree more, @Shardlake. Long live EON.
  • SafinDuplessisSafinDuplessis the United Kingdom. Cornwall.
    I predict if Bond is shelved for 10+ years if NTTD fails, they will bring Dan back as an older, wiser, taciturn bONd.
    I've been feeling Bond is going to go into a lengthy hibernation after NTTD.
    Only one film released in the 2020's, no films released in the 2030's and then a HUGE comeback for Bond's 80th anniversary in 2042.
    Barbara will be in her 80's like Cubby was and will have finally gotten the desire to pursue other projects out of her system and focus 100% on Bond.

In all seriousness I'm hoping there isn't another long gap, but with a recast and probable re-boot, I wouldn't be surprised if 2024/2025 is the earliest we see another film.
    The one tiny shred of hope that B26 may come sooner than later was the rumor Phoebe was asked to come back for the next film. Perhaps Eon is looking ahead post Craig?
    My hope is that the prospect of starting anew with a new actor and era will entice brilliant writers/directors to come up with original pitches for EON. People like the Nolan brothers and Villeneuve will come crawling to feast on the possibility to start something worthy of what's come before, only new, maybe even better. More talent will join. Babs and co. will get reignited after the mourning of Dan-the-man, and it will all start afresh.

This is my, rather realistic, great expectation.
  • To be fair the gaps between Craig's films were not always intended to be so. QoS was originally scheduled for May 2008, Skyfall was due for 2011 (delayed because of MGM's financial issues, which also pushed the first Hobbit film back a year), Spectre orig. due for 2014 (delayed waiting for Mendes), Bond 25 orig. scheduled for October 2019 scuppered by Danny Boyle leaving the project.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Only one film released in the 2020's, no films released in the 2030's and then a HUGE comeback for Bond's 80th anniversary in 2042.
    Barbara will be in her 80's like Cubby was and will have finally gotten the desire to pursue other projects out of her system and focus 100% on Bond.

In all seriousness I'm hoping there isn't another long gap, but with a recast and probable re-boot, I wouldn't be surprised if 2024/2025 is the earliest we see another film.
    The one tiny shred of hope that B26 may come sooner than later was the rumor Phoebe was asked to come back for the next film. Perhaps Eon is looking ahead post Craig?
    Maybe I'm just being hopeful but I'm still not ruling Craig out for one more based on that Phoebe rumour. If she's already cracking on the script and NTTD is a massive hit then I don't see why they wouldn't at least attempt a quicker turnaround. It would entice them to lure both Craig and Fukunaga back. A 60th anniversary film in 2022 would be nice if not entirely necessary.
    Ryan wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Maybe I'm just being hopeful but I'm still not ruling Craig out for one more based on that Phoebe rumour. If she's already cracking on the script and NTTD is a massive hit then I don't see why they wouldn't at least attempt a quicker turnaround. It would entice them to lure both Craig and Fukunaga back. A 60th anniversary film in 2022 would be nice if not entirely necessary.

I would love that!
    Craig has said ad naesuem he is done in every which way possible. He’s not coming back . There’s probably not even enough of a story to go on after NTTD

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    It's not about coming back. Craig has given all and Wanted to go out on a high note. If NTTD is hit why would he came back. He would be happy that he is the first actor to leave like that. Although I am hopeful that we could get next bond name in 2022.
  • OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    The thing that's so disappointing to me is that there's so much focus on scale and being grandiose. I find it a bit funny that the classic OO7 films, which cemented the legacy of the franchise, were usually made in 2 year gaps. Sorry, but a film like Goldfinger will always prevail.

If the focus were truly based on creating a Fleming-esque thriller, then it wouldn't require enormous gaps. I'd take story and characters over big budget gimmicks any day.
    The thing that's so disappointing to me is that there's so much focus on scale and being grandiose. I find it a bit funny that the classic OO7 films, which cemented the legacy of the franchise, were usually made in 2 year gaps. Sorry, but a film like Goldfinger will always prevail.

If the focus were truly based on creating a Fleming-esque thriller, then it wouldn't require enormous gaps. I'd take story and characters over big budget gimmicks any day.

Well said. I couldn't agree more.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    If NTTD is a hit, I don't see Craig coming back. I was even surprised how Craig looked so Good in NTTD. It's better he bows out on a high, so he doesn't look too old like Moore in AVTAK...even if Bond 26's Script is a Stellar one.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited December 2019 Posts: 8,498
    Bob Iger is a dick and should perhaps focus on getting Star Wars straight before he and his crew lust after going after another franchise. He doesn't "get" Bond, he just wants to own it; swallow up something else. He's a corporate raider (at best).
    If NTTD is a hit, I don't see Craig coming back. I was even surprised how Craig looked so Good in NTTD. It's better he bows out on a high, so he doesn't look too old like Moore in AVTAK...even if Bond 26's Script is a Stellar one.
    ... I think we should all take seriously that the man is done. He has said it is his last. His director has been quoted as saying that when he came on board he knew it would be the last. Daniel Craig has shot his last bullet.

My bet is this film will make it a very hard stop for this era. Enjoy the ride.