Do you have any concerns or niggles about NTTD ,or are you full of confidence ?

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 12,988
    I've read everything I came across and I'm full of confidence as well, @royale65. Enjoying Bond film history playing out, something to relish.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I've read everything I came across and I'm full of confidence as well, @royale65. Enjoying Bond film history play out, something to relish.

Then that's settled it. I think we have similar tastes in Bondom. If it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me.
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    Sorry. :\">
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I'm not concerned about it but I wonder how they're going to weave the story together with all these locations. Seems like a lot of globe trotting, I'm interested to see where they place in the film. Although I'm really happy as it seems to be a more colourful film than Skyfall and Spectre in terms of the locations

The whole Nomi as 007 thing is a concern for me, simply because how it is going to be dealt with within the story itself. It's not like an unknown nameless character has his code number for a few minutes of screen time, it's clear she is a big part of the story (still hoping she is a turncoat or something more exciting). So how does he get the code number back or does he? Does Nomi die? I can't see her handing it back to him, it would feel a little pointless to me to include her having it in the first place. If Bond retires again at the end of the mission does Nomi keep the 007 code number? I mean that would be weird to me, it would be like Indiana Jones finishing a film without his whip.
    Although this is just a rumour at this point so it might just be concern for nothing

My biggest hope is that James Bond is the main character throughout the movie and if this is Daniel's last Bond that he goes out on a high note. I'm praying it doesn't fall foul like all the politically charged and agenda driven movies of the last few years. We've waited so long for a Bond movie, I don't want it weighed down by outside factors that aren't relevant
  • OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    I don't even know how to think about this film. To me, Spectre was such an abomination that the mere idea of another Craig-arc, Bond film immediately made me say, "oh great, here we go again." Madeleine Swann's character has 0 charisma, and I saw virtually 0 chemistry between she and Bond. I'm hoping that Fukanaga and company realized that the previous few films had some severe flaws.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    OOWolf wrote: »
    I'm hoping that Fukanaga and company realized that the previous few films had some severe flaws.

That is the hope that I'm clinging to. That despite apparently diving back into a continuity that I'd had rather we just ignore, and the ominous repeated comments about a newly enlightened Bond and how the women will be driving the story this time, Fukanga can at least recognize what many of us disappointed fans saw in SP. I'm not expecting a Top Ten, or a film to rival Craig's first three. It would be great if it turns out so, but I'm skeptical. I'd be content with an overall flawed product that gives me at least a few great Bondian moments; for me these generally aren't the big action or stunt scenes (though some of those definitely do rise to that level), but the more tense character moments and interactions, and more intimate fight scenes. That would put it in good company with many of my other beloved lower-middle, frustrating but enjoyable Bond films.

That’s fair enough. I also am not expecting it to top Craig’s first 3, but I’d gladly settle for better than SP / middle-ground Bond film, which is still a great place to be in IMO. Of course I want it to be even better than that, but I’m trying to be realistic while cautiously optimistic.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Since this appears to be a SP continuation, and I'm not a fan of the Blofeld/Spectre/Madeleine storyline, I'm not expecting too much story-wise.

What I'm hoping for is a vibrant, colorful cinematography (looks like we'll be getting that) with some Bondian moments and overall mood. Combine that with a good soundtrack, I'll be happy enough.

Not expecting it to be better than CR, that's for sure.
    It will likely be just under or as good as skyfall. It probably won’t be better than CR but this one may be the first good plot since CR. QOS, SF, and SP was two weak plots and one with no plot really
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i am confident - well, about as confident as i could be i guess... and i dont mean that in a negative connotation.. but i am tempering expectations as best i can... but that'll last me until i see the trailer, to which i will probably loose my mind with excitement lol..

if i did have one concern - its really about the bigger picture moving forward.. is NTTD the capper to a 5 film continuity that will be dashed in favor of soft rebooting with a new actor for Bond 26... or... like in years past before CR hit the hard reset, will the next films moving forward maintain the current continuity, with the nods back every now and then similarly to how TSWLM referenced Bond being previously married.... i guess the easier way to say all that, is that after NTTD, i DO NOT want a hard reset again - just keep pressing forward.
    I find characters such as Wai Lin and Jinx cringeworthy, and so I'm hoping they change their treatment of "fighting" women and do something truly sexy and truth like with both Paloma and Nomi. I see Gina Carano or Charlize Theron fighting and I pray they do something similar, that doesn't seem like a cartoonish-charlie angels-leather clad-too much attitude-yo momma kind of thing.

That's my main concern. And that quote from Babs, that the film is tremendous and that they've thrown the book at it, well, it sounds like when she said they'd thrown everything even the kitchen sink into DAD, back then it sounded marvellous and then it turned out the way it did. I'm keeping cautious about the OTT possibilities of that remark as well.

That being said, bring on the trailer!!! :-D
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I'm very confident for NTTD because of the creative team involved in this one. I'm even hopeful that any reference to SP is used to make a little course correction to BROfeld in a satisfying way.
    My only concern is the female 007 angle. I have no problem at all with someone else taking on the 007 mantle, man, woman or otherwise, because that is what would happen in real life after a retirement. No, my worry is how this will be viewed in the world of 2020. Assuming Bond gets back his 007 status, and I am, I am struggling to think of a satisfying way the writers can do this without an outcry of 'fridging' Nomi to achieve it or having her make way for a MAN to save the day. I think there is a real chance they've written themselves into a corner with this without a satisfying resolution in the name of been up to date with the times. Hope I'm completely wrong.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I agree. I love the MAN. I'm just wondering what the general audience out there and our joke shop media will make of it.
    My concern right now is it will be so amazing that I will he pissed Daniel and Cary aren’t coming back for bond 26
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Risico007 wrote: »
    My concern right now is it will be so amazing that I will he pissed Daniel and Cary aren’t coming back for bond 26

Haha that would be an ideal concern mate
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Has there been anything from Cary about another Bond, or has he said outright 'just the one'?
    +1
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I'll be honest, I have mixed feelings about the trailer. I'm pumped about the fact that a new Bond is coming out but there's something about the trailer that feels off for some reason, I can't quite figure what it is.

Maybe I just hoped for a CR/QoS-like entry and this screams too much SPECTRE to me. There seems to be too many characters and I'm afraid the story won't be very Bond-centric.
    The dialogues are awful as well. I only liked the Bond/Nomi exchange.
    Unfortunately, what I felt has. come to pass. The movie feels way too American.
    Unfortunately, what I felt has. come to pass. The movie feels way too American.

+1. This was exactly my feeling. I felt like watching a Mission: Impossible trailer than a Bond one.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited December 2019 Posts: 8,021
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I'm mixed. I'd love it if we didn't seem to be focusing so much on the Madeline angle. But on the flip side it appears that they are no longer together early on in the film, which is a large relief as I was dreading a husband/wife team on this Bond adventure.

I'm relieved that they're going to reconfigure her character into something more distinctive in her own right. She felt too derivative of Tracy in SP, so taking a whole new direction would hopefully make her more interesting in NTTD.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Walecs wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I have mixed feelings about the trailer.

+1

The trailer is exceptionally well crafted, and cinematography seems to be on point.

Other than that, this doesn't hint at something I would particularly like to see in a Bond movie.

1. Doubling down on the personal - 'past coming back to haunt' seems to be a thing they can't get rid of
    2. Rehash of the 'new vs. old' theme - 'the world has moved on, commander'
    3. Creepy villain with a God-like ambitions - looks like they're trying to make this too epic

But as I've said, I'm not expecting a SP sequel to knock me off my feet in terms of the story, but I'm still hoping to see a lot of Bondian scenes and tiny moments, and a good soundtrack.

Definitely not too overwhelmed by this.
  • WhyBondWhyBond USA
    It was a great trailer. I will be seeing this on opening day.
    It feels like a direct answer to the last few Mission Impossible films from what I have noticed. It's like EON is modernizing Bond by making it similar to Tom Cruise and Co.
    WhyBond wrote: »
    It was a great trailer. I will be seeing this on opening day.
    It feels like a direct answer to the last few Mission Impossible films from what I have noticed. It's like EON is modernizing Bond by making it similar to Tom Cruise and Co.

Yes. I got that vibe big time

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited December 2019 Posts: 2,541
    EON have been modernizing way before MI films came and will keep doing so after Tom Cruise is done with MI.
    I must admit I am disappointed with Malek's role. He seems yet another Silva type. I was hoping for a silicon valley billionaire dip****. More topical.
  • WhyBondWhyBond USA
    Even have been modernizing way before MI films came and will keep doing so after Tom Cruise is done with MI.

Yea that's right. I love what I saw. If it's
    Craigs last film he should go out on an epic scale.
    But I also understand some concerns of other fans. The trailer so far seems like a direct sequel to MI Fallout.
    Even have been modernizing way before MI films came and will keep doing so after Tom Cruise is done with MI.

But I also understand some concerns of other fans. The trailer so far seems like a direct sequel to MI Fallout.

Disagree, its a direct sequel to SP(which inspire a lot to Rogue Nation which inspire a lot to fallout). Most of bond fans knew Madeline and Blofeld return was obvious and Blofeld will be in prison after getting arrested. There is nothing in this film that looks even remotely similar to MI.

Disagree, its a direct sequel to SP!

Is it? No way! So that's what I was wrong about all these years. Next you'll be telling me MI6 Community doesn't stand for Mission: Impossible 6.
    Walecs wrote: »

Disagree, its a direct sequel to SP!

Is it? No way! So that's what I was wrong about all these years. Next you'll be telling me MI6 Community doesn't stand for Mission: Impossible 6.

Grow up
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 17,272
    My excitement for this film (which wasn't high to begin with) has waned even more after watching the teaser trailer. The cinematography looks good, but it seems like they've carried over the unnecessary amount of personal angles from the previous films, sprinkled with some cringey dialogue throughout the trailer. Like I commented on the trailer thread, it won't be a film I'll be watching on the opening day. Unless watching the film at the cinema is part of a night out with friends, I might even wait until it's available for purchase or download some time next year.