No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    And somebody at Lucasfilm must have seen The Book of Henry. Seriously. If you have a beloved franchise for which you're supposed to deliver the final chapter in the main saga, don't put it in the hands of the guy who directed the best unintentional comedy of this decade. The Book of Henry isn't Die Another Day-bad, it's the 1998 film version of The Avengers-bad and there isn't even a Sean Connery around.

The two Jurassic Park movies he wrote should be enough to prove that Trevorrow has no writing skills. I know someone will say "BUT 1 BILLION DOLLARS BOX OFFICE!" but let's be honest, it's the Jurassic Park IP that granted that, not the writing. JW is a JP remake and JW FK is just a mess, everyone could have written those movies and the movies would have still been succesfull.
    Walecs wrote: »
    And somebody at Lucasfilm must have seen The Book of Henry. Seriously. If you have a beloved franchise for which you're supposed to deliver the final chapter in the main saga, don't put it in the hands of the guy who directed the best unintentional comedy of this decade. The Book of Henry isn't Die Another Day-bad, it's the 1998 film version of The Avengers-bad and there isn't even a Sean Connery around.

The two Jurassic Park movies he wrote should be enough to prove that Trevorrow has no writing skills. I know someone will say "BUT 1 BILLION DOLLARS BOX OFFICE!" but let's be honest, it's the Jurassic Park IP that granted that, not the writing. JW is a JP remake and JW FK is just a mess, everyone could have written those movies and the movies would have still been succesfull.

I do agree with you. JW was by the numbers, and I hated JW:FK -- it was very flimsy and poorly scripted indeed.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited November 2019 Posts: 8,034
    ColonelSun wrote: »

I do agree with you. JW was by the numbers, and I hated JW:FK -- it was very flimsy and poorly scripted indeed.

My expectations for the third are quite low, despite my enjoyment of the previous two in a trashy, SyFy kind of way.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome

My expectations for the third are quite low, despite my enjoyment of the previous two in a trashy, SyFy kind of way.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    octofinger wrote: »
    It's a very rare script that ends up better for having that many hands on it.
    Yes, lets hope that B26 has at least 15 writers on it. The more, the better. Why settle for the vision and creativity of one or two, when we can have 15 or more, when doing art? I'm sure Picasso had help, too :-)

I'm not sure what comments like this really accomplish. He did use the word 'rare' for a reason.

Some people just like to complain for nothing.

The level of that has been astonishing for NTTD.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Seriously, go and watch The Book of Henry. Naomi Watts turns from a waitress into a sniper because his super genius late 11-year-old son left her dozens of cassettes (plus the titular book) asking her to shoot the guy next door.
    It was a passion project for Trevorrow, who had fallen in love with a 1998 spec script written by a crime novelist. Some other director might have been able to salvage a few elements from that story by toning it down. Trevorrow plays the material entirely straight, which makes it look even more ridiculous on screen.

Actor Griffin Newman hates the works of Trevorrow with a passion (he started with Safety not Guaranteed), and he eviscerated The Book of Henry on his podcast, one of the few podcasts I have been able to listen in its entirety.

Regarding Bond, is the production handled under British or American rules? Trevorrow's credit on SW9 may come from various WGA clauses, which may also trigger for No Time to Die. If they operate under British rules, there may not be such arbitration procedures.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

I just don't get what the stakes are. The second film ended as if dinosaurs conquered our world and they were the majority ("this is their world now") yet there's only a few of them which might cause a few nuisances but can easily handled with today's military systems. The mosasaurus seems to be the only real threat.
  • JamesCraig wrote: »

Yes, lets hope that B26 has at least 15 writers on it. The more, the better. Why settle for the vision and creativity of one or two, when we can have 15 or more, when doing art? I'm sure Picasso had help, too :-)

I'm not sure what comments like this really accomplish. He did use the word 'rare' for a reason.

I'm really not sure what we're even talking about any more. I expressed a concern that there might be too many cooks in the kitchen for NTTD's script; after that the replies confuse me.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 8,034
    JamesCraig wrote: »

I'm really not sure what we're even talking about any more. I expressed a concern that there might be too many cooks in the kitchen for NTTD's script; after that the replies confuse me.

Ack, I completely misread that in my slightly hungover daze. My fault. Apologies @octofinger and an extension of that to @Zekidk.

But, for the record, I still think we're in good hands in the script department. Hopefully I'm proven right. Hopefully.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Nothing so far today regarding the pre-trailer edit with CR footage. Instead this was posted by uipmalaysia - 25 fighting scenes from all four of Craig's movies

Yeah, that's the same one that was posted on the evening of James Bond Day by the main account.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    edited November 2019 Posts: 524
    Contraband wrote: »
    Nothing so far today regarding the pre-trailer edit with CR footage. Instead this was posted by uipmalaysia - 25 fighting scenes from all four of Craig's movies

Hmm.. Interesting. It looks very much like the video they had for James Bond day, but it differs slightly in the places of the clips.

I don't want to be a downer, but is it possible the official channels will have this video out *a week after* the CR one, and *not* the NTTD teaser?
    That way, the teaser is indeed coming at the beginning of December and not the final week of November.

I think we must get ready for a no-show after these clips. If we all anticipate the trailer five days after the CR clip releases, we might be setting ourselves up for disappointment. Again.

@antovolk It's not exactly the same. Same clips, different placement.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    antovolk wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the same one that was posted on the evening of James Bond Day by the main account.

I thought I've seen it before.

But the day aint over yet. Still a chance we can get the int. version with CR. If so, it's more of a verification of the build-up strategy.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Regarding Bond, is the production handled under British or American rules? Trevorrow's credit on SW9 may come from various WGA clauses, which may also trigger for No Time to Die. If they operate under British rules, there may not be such arbitration procedures.

I assume American rules because it’s MGM. When QOS was initially in production it was during the writers strike, so Craig and Forster had to write on their own to flesh out what was a very skeleton of a script that Haggis turned in before the strike happened.

I just don't get what the stakes are. The second film ended as if dinosaurs conquered our world and they were the majority ("this is their world now") yet there's only a few of them which might cause a few nuisances but can easily handled with today's military systems. The mosasaurus seems to be the only real threat.

I had real, real trouble with this too. I loved the first one, tried to love the second, but walked out of the theater thinking, "Aren't there, like, 9 dinosaurs? And they all have trackers? Can't they just...go get 'em?"
    American rules, certainly.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    A tiny heads-up: Daniel Craig will be on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert again to promote Knives Out - next Friday, November 22nd.

Maybe nothing Bond related happens, but Colbert will surely mention it. And we all know what happened last time Craig was on Colbert and we all thought he was not going to talk Bond...
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    A tiny heads-up: Daniel Craig will be on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert again to promote Knives Out - next Friday, November 22nd.

Maybe nothing Bond related happens, but Colbert will surely mention it. And we all know what happened last time Craig was on Colbert and we all thought he was not going to talk Bond...

He will ask will you return as James Bond haha.

3785c904e85ae902ef53008cfb0294d7.gif
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    So what's the likelihood for a trailer reveal while he's on Colbert? :D
  • KopperudKopperud Norway
    Just a thought. As the year and decade slowly comes to an end, doesn’t it make sense to wait releasing trailers and pushing PR for NTTD until January?

Star Wars will occupy the majority of the headlines, and the holidays probably isn’t the best times anyway? New year, new decade, no substitutes. What do you guys think?
    Kopperud wrote: »
    Just a thought. As the year and decade slowly comes to an end, doesn’t it make sense to wait releasing trailers and pushing PR for NTTD until January?

Star Wars will occupy the majority of the headlines, and the holidays probably isn’t the best times anyway? New year, new decade, no substitutes. What do you guys think?

It would make more sense to attach the trailer to a very high profile film like Star Wars. With such a large audience, it’s the surest way to get the word out on the next Bond film.
    Christmas Day would be an interesting choice. A Bond trailer would be one heck of a present from Saint Nick.

Alien: Covenant released its trailer on Christmas Day in 2016.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

As he is there to promote Knives Out, very slim.

He was there to promote LOGAN LUCKY when he announced he was coming back for one more Bond. There probably won’t be a trailer, but I suspect Bond will come up in discussion.

He was there to promote LOGAN LUCKY when he announced he was coming back for one more Bond. There probably won’t be a trailer, but I suspect Bond will come up in discussion.

It's safe to assume as much, alright.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Yes, exactly. If a trailer is to be shown, it will be for Knives Out.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 1,261
    Regarding Hodge being credited or not credited for NTTD: I believe, the WGA rules are relevant here. No WGA member was allowed to polish and rewrite the QOS script during the WGA strike, so Craig and Forster had to do this job. Whether or not EON will credit Hodge, has to be seen. We should find out sooner or later.

It would be nice but highly unlikely? I think like Barry007 said before that we are looking at December at the earliest? To be fair that is not that far away now. :-bd
  • So what's the likelihood for a trailer reveal while he's on Colbert? :D

If they wanted to make it political, I suppose that would make sense...
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    edited November 2019 Posts: 467
    I'd bet that Craig must have points on the box office for Knives Out. It's rather low budget, so to get such a cast, they offer points for the lead rather than a large fee. So, even if Craig isn't a producer, he has an interest in Knives Out getting a lot of attention, and revealing the trailer to No Time to Die could steal Knives Out's thunder. Sure, they'll mention NTTD, but not to the point that Knives Out is pushed to the side.