Breaking Bad/El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (2019) Discussion

124»

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I'm late to the BB party and am still watching the final episodes of the series. Just got to the episode where Jesse says he wants to go to Alaska. He's just poured gasoline all over Walter's living room.

It is killing me to not hit the spoiler tags but I want to see the movie without knowing too much.
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    My take on the new movie....
    It was a big mistake not bringing Walt back into the story. I know why Vince Gilligan did this, to give Jesse's character closure, but from such an exciting final series episode, this fell flat, and didn't hold up in comparison to what had gone before it.

BB without Walt doesn't work, and El Camino clearly demonstrated this. The reason why the series worked was mainly down to Bryan Cranston and the character he portrayed, watching Walt change, and the world around him evolve as the series progressed. It was also all the other surrounding characters that made BB work too. Losing all of them, and just focusing on Jesse was the reason why I felt it didn't work.

Had VG gone done the route of Walt somehow surviving, then escaping on the run with Jesse, that would have been far more exciting and enjoyable to see. I think deep down the fans know this too, and eventually there will be a backlash on this movie, once the hype dies down.

The film you want sounds terrible.

The film we got was terrible.
    Doesn't change how awful bringing a character back to life would be.

He could have been resurrected Ben Kenobi style, living in Jesse's head/imagination, due to the trauma Jesse suffered.

To me that wouldn't have been awful, and probably would have got more fans on side (although obviously not your good self)....
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 12,837
    It was a big mistake not bringing Walt back into the story. I know why Vince Gilligan did this, to give Jesse's character closure, but from such an exciting final series episode, this fell flat, and didn't hold up in comparison to what had gone before it.

BB without Walt doesn't work, and El Camino clearly demonstrated this. The reason why the series worked was mainly down to Bryan Cranston and the character he portrayed, watching Walt change, and the world around him evolve as the series progressed. It was also all the other surrounding characters that made BB work too. Losing all of them, and just focusing on Jesse was the reason why I felt it didn't work.

Had VG gone done the route of Walt somehow surviving, then escaping on the run with Jesse, that would have been far more exciting and enjoyable to see. I think deep down the fans know this too, and eventually there will be a backlash on this movie, once the hype dies down.

He could have been resurrected Ben Kenobi style, living in Jesse's head/imagination, due to the trauma Jesse suffered.

To me that wouldn't have been awful, and probably would have got more fans on side (although obviously not your good self)....

I think the problem is you're looking at it as the Breaking Bad finale rather than a sequel. You're right that Breaking Bad was Walt's story, but Walt's story was done. Wrapped up perfectly. We had that finale. This film was about giving Jesse that same sense of finality/closure, removing any hint of ambiguity around his ending. I wouldn't have thought it was necessary before but now that I've seen it I think it was. In hindsight the finale left a lot of what ifs that El Camino answered pretty firmly.

They could have had him as a hallucination throughout as a bit of fanservice, but I think that would have been just that. Fanservice. Wasn't actually necessary for the stort they were telling, so I'm glad that they didn't personally.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I strongly doubt Cranston would have consented to resurrecting the character. That book was closed, story told, it was a job well done, etc. I'm surprised that he contributed what he did to this one.

I agree. El Camino doesn't touch or hurt the legacy of BB. Had Walt some how survived in El Camino it would of really hurt the franchise.

I think the problem is you're looking at it as the Breaking Bad finale rather than a sequel. You're right that Breaking Bad was Walt's story, but Walt's story was done. Wrapped up perfectly. We had that finale. This film was about giving Jesse that same sense of finality/closure, removing any hint of ambiguity around his ending. I wouldn't have thought it was necessary before but now that I've seen it I think it was. In hindsight the finale left a lot of what ifs that El Camino answered pretty firmly.

They could have had him as a hallucination throughout as a bit of fanservice, but I think that would have been just that. Fanservice. Wasn't actually necessary for the stort they were telling, so I'm glad that they didn't personally.

I get why this story was made. It was a nice wrap up for Jesse's character, which he didn't get in the last few episodes of series 5.

It's just that it didn't live up to what came before it. Each season got better and better, with the final 3 episodes beating them all. There is no way anything that followed would be as good as that again, because Walt was what made the series brilliant. Losing him, and you lose what made the show great.

So yes, El Camino gave closure to Jesse. Did it beat the final 3 episodes of BB? Of course it didn't.

The only way El Camino could possibly have done that is bring Walt back somehow, but like many of you have already said, it wasn't really possible, and this movie wasn't about that.
    The film was decent enough, but a bit unecessary. Didn't really add anything new.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Ed83 wrote: »
    I just got through watching the finale. I enjoyed it, but I'm sad to see it go. This ending was was so much better than the way Dexter ended. I really liked Dexter until the last season and I hated the ending. I know shows can't go on and on and on, but I really hate seeing things end. I think that's why I love the Bond Series so much because it never really ends.

I recommend ‘The Never Ending Story.’ ;)

• Perfection. Can't wait for Season 5 to air!