How Many Films Should a Bond Actor Do?

1235»

Comments

• RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    In my world, every Bond did at least seven films.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Agreed that 5 is a good number.

However, I would want to see 5 films minimum from an actor who begins in their early 30s - and provided those films come every 2-3 years.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    QBranch wrote: »
    Agreed that 5 is a good number.

However, I would want to see 5 films minimum from an actor who begins in their early 30s - and provided those films come every 2-3 years.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. 5 films lets the actor fully establish themselves in the role.
    However lengthy gaps are nothing more than annoying. 2-3 years between films at most.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think 3 films is enough. It always seems like the 4th film is where they start to tread water.
  • AleanderAleander Kavala, Greece
    If NSNA proved anything, was that Sean Connery could have kept on playing in the mid-80's, if he'd wanted to. Whether the performances would've been any better, is debateable, but physically would've been convicing at it. So really, I'm happy he's played the part 7 times, especialyl considering the irony of playing a character with that number as his codename.

Moore started to show off his age in Moonraker, so any time after then would be realistic. However, his performance as the world-weary Bond in FYEO add texture and nuance to his tenure and I'd be sad to miss it. And same with OP, despite him looking at his maximum permissably oldest. And ideally, Octopussy is the quintessential Roger Moore Bond film - good action, MANY quips - good and bad - and one-liners (mostly bad), convoluted plotting and lacklustre one-dimensional villains. So it would be a good place to exit, especially after beating Connery at the box-office. But AVTAK is just sad - its one thing to be 57 years old, its another to pretend to be 35-40 year Bond at that age. Its embarassing, and I feel bad for Roger Moore.

Conversely, that meant Dalton should've played Bond sooner. 1985 at the earliest. So we were robbed at least three Bonds, if not more. But in all seriousness, and even though I love Brosnan's Bond (who might be the quintessential Ian Fleming Bond), I could and wish I'd seen him as Bond up until 2002. How awesome would that have been? So no question Dalton should've done more. Seven if possible.

Brosnan, on the other hand, could have handled two more, or at least one. He deserved a better note to exit on than DAD's false note, and I say this because, unlike some, I never thought he emulated Roger's Bond at all. Like I mentioned, he's the quintessential Bond, because he encompassed all the elements of the previous Bonds and added his own cold professionalism to boot. As such, the exceedingly uneven DAD was an equally uneven way to go out on.

Craig... well, I like the guy, and I look forward to NTTD as much as the next fan, but IMO I kinda wish he'd left with SPECTRE. It seemed like a natural stop for him.