No Time to Die production thread

Comments

Anyone complaining about Craig's bond not talking enough should watch this again

The trouble is, he should be this talkative in every film.
    Anyone complaining about Craig's bond not talking enough should watch this again

It has been a very deliberate decision to strip back Bond's dialogue for Craig, and it suits his take on the character perfectly.

ColonelSun wrote: »

It has been a very deliberate decision to strip back Bond's dialogue for Craig, and it suits his take on the character perfectly.

I'd rather he was as talkative as the above clip, tbh. I understand the direction, but it makes his Bond rather dull (IMO).

I'd rather he was as talkative as the above clip, tbh. I understand the direction, but it makes his Bond rather dull (IMO).

Hugely disagree. Craig's Bond is anything but dull.

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

It makes him separate from another action star. It makes bond more intelligent as well.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited September 2019 Posts: 3,497
    antovolk wrote: »
    Rather have Sting instead of those other names, tbh.

+1, there's no comparison. But unfortunately marketing is King these days, so it does seem to be a stretch.

Indeed.

How likely is it that the title artist is announced this early? …Or is it early?

I mean, if anything it's late, no? If Sting/Savoretti are only in final talks. Smith was seemingly brought on in January 2015 for SP, just a month after shooting began...not sure about Adele.

But from a marketing POV a less slam dunk (aka not Sheeran, Lana, Gaga etc) title song choice would warrant an earlier announcement to get people on board, rather than a last min final push in the home stretch of the campaign.

Adele gave her first cut of the song in October 2011. She likely got approached in early to mid 2011.

As I recall, she recorded the final version it not long before she gave birth.

She even put picture of her recording on Twitter.
    The Daily Mail pictures of Lashana, Cary and Lea on what is described as a beach, but is clearly rocky with some vegetation, don't match the locations they were supposed to be filming at. Photos, including 360-degree images, can be found here; https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8551968,15.7919852,3a,75y,4.91h,57.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAF1QipOv09perj2f2x1Fl1ze9GZFyn0nDyV5XGyq6JJU!2e10!7i5640!8i2820

The grotto beach, its immediate neighbour and the larger beach next door don't have the rocky ground and large flat stones we see in the Daily Mail pics.
    Contraband wrote: »
    BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Fleabag star Phoebe Waller-Bridge is being wooed to help write a future James Bond film

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7509401/Fleabag-star-Phoebe-Waller-Bridge-wooed-help-write-future-James-Bond-film.html

Surely they want her for Bond 27, as Bond 26 belongs to Nolan!

We just have to agree to disagree ;-)

It makes him separate from another action star. It makes bond more intelligent as well.

Him being less talkative makes him separate from another action star? IMO it makes him a Bourne 2.0.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    edited September 2019 Posts: 972
    mtm wrote: »
    But indeed, Nomi looks like one hell of an SAS-agent :-P.

She's certainly looking more like '007' every time we see her!

That rumour's gotta be right, hasn't it? We saw her apparently in disguise in Jamaica, she was hanging around the MI6 HQ set (although I know all of the sets are pretty close to each other! :) ), and now she's dressed up like this?
    If that's an Omega on her wrist then it's a done deal :D

Has she bent her gun though?

That's clearly an Omega Aqua Terra on her wrist.

48802777156_5c8efdecfd_b.jpg

48802783296_15f883c96f_o.jpg
  • RC7RC7

Him being less talkative makes him separate from another action star? IMO it makes him a Bourne 2.0.

The word ‘talkative’ is not one I associate with James Bond.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,185
    RC7 wrote: »

+1
    Never saw Connery or Moore as chatty either, they mostly dealt in one liners as well.
    It's more important what Bond says instead of how much. Bond dialogue is unique, and Craig sells it well. For example, you never gonna hear Bourne say: "Only a certain kind of woman wears a backless dress with a Beretta 70 strapped to her thigh."
    RC7 wrote: »

Probably the wrong word to use (English is not my first language), but I find Craig to be too quiet, and his two word replies (or not much more than that) are frankly a bit…boring.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Have you guys heard anything about Spiaggia Darsena (stony beach), Porto Turistico di Maratea as a location? Some twitterguy claims that's the place where Lashana & co hangs out. It's down the coastal road from Sapri, ca 16 km

@matt_u Could it be plausible?
    I would never describe the literary Bond as talkative but he’s certainly more talkative than Craig’s Bond. That scene above from CR is a rare example of him speaking more but it’s just too bad that I found most of the dialogue in that scene cheesy.

Lol dude you got me wrong. I agreed with you on bond being talkative that's what separate him from other action hero's Makes him a bit more Intelligent like every time bond try to outsmart any Villian (Blofeld : An unstoppable Force
    Bond: Except it did stop didn't it right here).
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 17,280

Lol dude you got me wrong. I agreed with you on bond being talkative that's what separate him from other action hero's Makes him a bit more Intelligent like every time bond try to outsmart any Villian (Blofeld : An unstoppable Force

I'm sorry, misread your comment!

Hopefully NTTD will provide Craig (and the others) a bit of "meaty" dialogue. It makes for a better movie experience, IMO.
    "Hopefully NTTD will provide Craig (and the others) a bit of "meaty" dialogue. It makes for a better movie experience, IMO."

I've hoped for the same thing since Goldeneye and I've always been disappointed. I won't be getting my hopes up but here's hoping... :)

• Bounine wrote: »
    "Hopefully NTTD will provide Craig (and the others) a bit of "meaty" dialogue. It makes for a better movie experience, IMO."

I've hoped for the same thing since Goldeneye and I've always been disappointed. I won't be getting my hopes up but here's hoping... :)

It was a conscious choice by DC to have his Bond be less ‘talkative.’

In fact, in an interview with Sam Mendes – I think on Charlie Rose (but someone can verify) – they mention that they deliberately went through the script and cut out dialogue when on set.

They wanted his Bond to be colder, more calculated and menacing. A lot of Craig’s performance boils down to the introspective and more quiet moments. That’s what I love about his Bond.

It isn’t about reams of dialogue. A performance is not dictated by how much dialogue you have…………..Craig has given Bond a complex internal life, and he’s done it without dialogue.

I don't want Bond emoting about his 'soul' again. Daniel Craig is a terrific actor and - like all great screen actors - can do a lot with a glance. Lesser actors need copious dialogue to convey character and emotion.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Forgive my paraphrasing, but Mendes is on record saying something along the lines of “Bond is a character of few words. you can’t make Bond say a lot, as soon as you do, you lose authenticity” .. or something along those lines. Explains the little JB dialogue we get in SF and SP.

Imo it’s quite refreshing that Dan’s Bond isn’t a know-it-all. He’s a man of action. He lets others do the talking.

I'm sorry, misread your comment!

Hopefully NTTD will provide Craig (and the others) a bit of "meaty" dialogue. It makes for a better movie experience, IMO.

That's all right english isn't my first language so it can be a bit confusing sometimes.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Sorry but this is driving me crazy. There’s just not enough in “SP” for me to believe Swann and Bond are in love and ran away together.

I always saw the narrative behind their relationship a bit rushed to justify Bond's decision to quit and try life for a second time, with her. But at the same time I think they handled quite well the dynamic between the two regarding their psychological aspects. She is a psychiatrist who's father was a spy. Basically, she's the perfect match to someone like Bond. She understands him. She is smart, beautiful, strong and independent as well - both morally both sexually, just think about her volitive "What we do know?" after the train fight or Bond stating "I don't have to teach you anything" - and Bond clearly sees that. After being betrayed by his first love, being almost corrupted by vengeance, losing the closest thing to a mother makes sense to him to try life with a woman like her, right after humiliating and defeating his biggest enemy. Even Moneypenny - the victim of endless jokes throughout 50 years - told him to try life sometimes.

It's not perfect, but neither a waste. To me their relationship is just fine.
    DCisared wrote: »
    Forgive my paraphrasing, but Mendes is on record saying something along the lines of “Bond is a character of few words. you can’t make Bond say a lot, as soon as you do, you lose authenticity” .. or something along those lines. Explains the little JB dialogue we get in SF and SP.

Imo it’s quite refreshing that Dan’s Bond isn’t a know-it-all. He’s a man of action. He lets others do the talking.

Yes, and importantly Bond doesn't reveal much about his feelings, he's locked tight and cautious, and Craig pulls that off brilliantly. He can communicate so much with just a look or even brooding silence. (Steve McQueen did the same, he stripped out his dialogue in many of his films, like The Magnificent Seven - he let Yul do all the talking while he quietly stole the scenes with his steely silence - just watch how he plays those scenes.) And Bond is not Bourne 2.0 because he is careful with what he says and when he expresses himself. The directors, producers and writers understand that and that's why they have all supported Craig with his approach to the character. And it has paid off big time with commercial and critical success - and that means the audience get it too.

On another subject, Baz in Daily Mail is reporting Phoebe Waller-Bridge is being courted to join the Bond team for Bond 26. He says her contribution to NTTD script was greater and deeper than first planned, and all are delighted with her work. I'm assuming she has not been tempted, as some might want here, to give Bond too much dialogue. Less is more in this case.

People complain that Bond is not talking enough?

Geez, I've been away for too long!
  • Bounine wrote: »
    I would never describe the literary Bond as talkative but he’s certainly more talkative than Craig’s Bond. That scene above from CR is a rare example of him speaking more but it’s just too bad that I found most of the dialogue in that scene cheesy.

Fleming described Bond in Casino Royale as being 'taciturn'...
    Ludovico wrote: »

People complain that Bond is not talking enough?

Geez, I've been away for too long!

I agree, it's nonsense.

imranbecks wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    But indeed, Nomi looks like one hell of an SAS-agent :-P.

She's certainly looking more like '007' every time we see her!

That rumour's gotta be right, hasn't it? We saw her apparently in disguise in Jamaica, she was hanging around the MI6 HQ set (although I know all of the sets are pretty close to each other! :) ), and now she's dressed up like this?
    If that's an Omega on her wrist then it's a done deal :D

Has she bent her gun though?

That's clearly an Omega Aqua Terra on her wrist.

48802777156_5c8efdecfd_b.jpg

48802783296_15f883c96f_o.jpg

Not sure I like that picture of Lashana. She looks a bit too heavily armed. Like a female black Terminator.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 3,018
    3FewB9F.jpg
    PYrXcDF.jpg
  • New photo from the set with Nomi and a POTENTIALLY big spoiler
    The first photo of the child that Nomi is trying to protect can be seen in this photo……………..it’s clearly a much younger child than the one we saw in Norway:

0_PAY-EXCLUSIVE-La-Seydoux-appears-upset-between-takes-filming-scenes-for-James-Bond-No-Time-To-Die-i.jpg

I can only imagine the ‘Madeleine is a clone’ crowd are running amok…………………………however, I think it can simply be explained that Rami Malek is experimenting on children.
    New photo from the set with Nomi and a POTENTIALLY big spoiler
    The first photo of the child that Nomi is trying to protect can be seen in this photo……………..it’s clearly a much younger child than the one we saw in Norway:

0_PAY-EXCLUSIVE-La-Seydoux-appears-upset-between-takes-filming-scenes-for-James-Bond-No-Time-To-Die-i.jpg

I can only imagine the ‘Madeleine is a clone’ crowd are running amok…………………………however, I think it can simply be explained that Rami Malek is experimenting on children.

Source? Daily?