"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• edited July 2019 Posts: 17,377
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Arsenal are now willing to let Koscielny at an acceptable price.

Question is, will other clubs pay that price?

I doubt it.
    Be lucky to get £4-5m.

With the reported budget, every penny will count!

Looking at various sites, Gremio forward Everton Soares seems to be the latest transfer rumour. Where are the CB rumours, I wonder…

Fabien Delph for £9m would have been good business.
    Missed out yet again.

Indeed. Arsenal will probably throw away half the budget on someone in panic two days before the transfer window closes.

I doubt it.
    Be lucky to get £4-5m.

Looking at various sites, Gremio forward Everton Soares seems to be the latest transfer rumour. Where are the CB rumours, I wonder…

Missed out yet again.

Indeed. Arsenal will probably throw away half the budget on someone in panic two days before the transfer window closes.

Yep,thats usually what happens..i cant believe its half way through July and nothing,just one youngster (who did score against Colorado Rapids in a 3-0 win overnight to be fair).

I doubt it.
    Be lucky to get £4-5m.

Missed out yet again.

Yep,thats usually what happens..i cant believe its half way through July and nothing,just one youngster (who did score against Colorado Rapids in a 3-0 win overnight to be fair).

Watched the highlights only an hour ago. It was a lucky goal, but he was at the right place at the right time, as a forward should. I hope he'll develop nicely at Arsenal.

I doubt it.
    Be lucky to get £4-5m.

Missed out yet again.

Watched the highlights only an hour ago. It was a lucky goal, but he was at the right place at the right time, as a forward should. I hope he'll develop nicely at Arsenal.

Yep,but its just not good enough.
    They need to pull their thumb out of their arse and spend.

I doubt it.
    Be lucky to get £4-5m.

Missed out yet again.

That would almost be a miracle by this point…

I doubt it.
    Be lucky to get £4-5m.

Missed out yet again.

Indeed.....I despair for this season,i really do.

I doubt it.
    Be lucky to get £4-5m.

Missed out yet again.

Here's the latest quotes from Emery:

“We have very good players, very young good players. We need someone to help us. The club is working on that.

“We prefer to take the best decision with patience. If we need to wait more time for this reason I prefer to do that.”

This doesn't sound good. Halfway through the transfer window, and they're talking about patience. Meanwhile other clubs land deals in no time.

I doubt it.
    Be lucky to get £4-5m.

Missed out yet again.

“We have very good players, very young good players. We need someone to help us. The club is working on that.

“We prefer to take the best decision with patience. If we need to wait more time for this reason I prefer to do that.”

This doesn't sound good. Halfway through the transfer window, and they're talking about patience. Meanwhile other clubs land deals in no time.

That sounds like a smoke-screen to cover the lack of movement.

I doubt it.
    Be lucky to get £4-5m.

Missed out yet again.

Indeed. But what else can he do? It must be frustrating being the manager at the moment.

Loan deals seems the way to go.

I doubt it.
    Be lucky to get £4-5m.

Missed out yet again.

Indeed. But what else can he do? It must be frustrating being the manager at the moment.

Oh I agree re Umar ,but he must have had an idea this would happen when he took the job.
    Basically Kroenke is killing the club one season at a time.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 7,506
    Ceballos would be a great purchase for Arsenal, even if only for a short period. He has been criminaly underused at RM. A very promising player.

I cannot help thinking of onions ("cebollas" in spanish) whenever I hear his name though. ;))

I doubt it.
    Be lucky to get £4-5m.

Missed out yet again.

Oh I agree re Umar ,but he must have had an idea this would happen when he took the job.
    Basically Kroenke is killing the club one season at a time.

Yep. the current ownership will see to that the club turns mid-table in not time.
    jobo wrote: »
    Ceballos would be a great purchase for Arsenal, even if only for a short period. He has been criminaly underused at RM. A very promising player.

I cannot help thinking of onions ("cebollas" in spanish) whenever I hear his name though. ;))

Sp*rs are apparently looking at him too, so he'll probably end up there instead.
  • conradhankersconradhankers Underground
    I hear Kroenke is trying to get a loan deal for Night Monkey from Marvel and Sony Pictures. Kroenke hears that he's a good team player and is wanted all over Europe. AFTV have yet to comment officially.

Seriously I feel for the Arse fans, AW can now be seen to have protected them from the madness that reigns above the footy side of the club. Plus, MO needs to pull up his socks and play like a madman to help the club/fans paying him over a 1/4 million pounds a week.
    The criticism Wenger got the last season in charge was ridiculous. Now that he's not at at club, there aren't anyone to take the heat for those in charge.

I see that Josh Kroenke (that's Stan's son) has been out commenting on the #wecaredoyou campaign that was published July 15. Of course that was the usual talk you'd expect to hear – and some stuff was just worrying:
    "I’ve always told [Raul & Vinai] we need to be as aggressive as possible. It’s no secret that we have a Champions League wage bill on a Europa League budget right now. That’s a fact & one that we’re figuring out how to face internally at the moment."
    While we're not going to be in the market for some of the top players in the world at the moment whilst they are the top players, we're actively scouting the globe to find the next big thing to become great at Arsenal football club. And not only will we bring them to the club, we'll be able to retain them in the fold going forward.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 19,339
    Kroenke has stated to Sky Sports News this morning that Arsenal are looking at some very very expensive signings.
    This could mean that the limited budget was a ruse...hopefully so.

Also Steve Bruce has signed for Newcastle as manager on a 3 year contract...the fans wont be happy with this,its a step back from Rafa for sure.
    Kroenke has stated to Sky Sports News this morning that Arsenal are looking at some very very expensive signings.

I won't believe it till I see it!

Same here,but at least its on record so there must be something in it.

Funny how they're being so bold in their statements after the #wecaredoyou campaign…

Funny how they're being so bold in their statements after the #wecaredoyou campaign…

It seems its the kick up the arse they needed,there were a lot of important signatures on the documents.

It seems its the kick up the arse they needed,there were a lot of important signatures on the documents.

And a lot of signatures in total. Last time I checked they had 70 000 or so.

But I won't be surprised to see them sign nobody, and at the end of the transfer window we'll get quotes like: "We had ongoing talks with several high-quality players and their representatives, but we couldn't get the deal(s) done. We will carry on trying to attract talent to the club, making us more competitive in the long term."

Or something like that.

But I won't be surprised to see them sign nobody, and at the end of the transfer window we'll get quotes like: "We had ongoing talks with several high-quality players and their representatives, but we couldn't get the deal(s) done. We will carry on trying to attract talent to the club, making us more competitive in the long term."

Or something like that.

We live in hope old pal,we live in hope !!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I must be getting old, but I wish that Paddy Power logo was bigger, I have trouble seeing it properly:

67376810-353699731971465-6616620535096803328-n.jpg

Or something like that.

That's all we can do!

giphy.gif

Got to love this comment from the Arseblog re. transfers:

Cahill, Ceballos and Alves = £00.00

Will any, or all of these be at Arsenal by the start of the season?

Or something like that.

That's all we can do!

giphy.gif

We could do a lot worse than those 3.....experience is the key here re the defence.

Or something like that.

That's all we can do!

giphy.gif

We could do a lot worse than those 3.....experience is the key here re the defence.

But it's hardly long-term planning, though. Question is, whether Emery himself sees his future at Arsenal, and if him and the board look at short-term fixes.

Or something like that.

That's all we can do!

giphy.gif

But it's hardly long-term planning, though. Question is, whether Emery himself sees his future at Arsenal, and if him and the board look at short-term fixes.

Alves would be on expensive wages as well,something we are trying to cut down.
    Dumping Ozil should be a priority,even at a lower transfer fee.

I thought Kroenke responded to the campaign yesterday by saying that he respectfully disagreed with its points.

Or something like that.

That's all we can do!

giphy.gif

ozil-700x394.jpg

Or something like that.

That's all we can do!

giphy.gif

I don't think they'll be able to make him go to another club now.
    vzok wrote: »

I thought Kroenke responded to the campaign yesterday by saying that he respectfully disagreed with its points.

He disagreed with some points:
    …And while we understand, appreciate, and agree with concerns about our Club failing to achieve our goal of qualifying for the 2019-20 Champions League, we respectfully disagree about our Club being at a crossroads and that things need to change because so much change has recently occurred.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 19,339
    He has been a thorn in our side since day 1.
    Totally happy to sit on his arse and earn his £300,000+ a week....disgusting money.

Arsenal were idiots offering him that,and now are paying the price - literally.

On another note,Wolves have just thumped Newcastle 4-0 in Asia.
    A prelude to the season I think,Wolves doing well,Newcastle in a relegation dogfight.