Last album you listened to?

Comments

Shardlake wrote: »
    The New Raconteurs album was a long wait but boy was it worth it, Help Us Stranger is a blindingly good.

Just through my ear phones on the phone so far but tomorow it gets the turntable treatment can't wait.

Interesting! Wasn't even aware they were still active. Will have to give it a listen.

What kind of turntable do you have, @Shardlake?

Rega Planar RP3, I had almost given up on them releasing anything more as Jack White seems to move on from things, all of his solo albums have been progressions.

This album is quite different to their last Consolers of the Lonely and comes across as a straight up rock album.

Though all the members as well as White are firing on all 4 cylinders, tight as ever and not a dud in sight in a very brief but extremely effective 3rd album.

I don't mind Another Way to Die, although I wonder what JW would have come up with given the time.

Although I think it's nowhere as bad as some say and it's leagues better than that Sam Smith bollocks.

Those Planar turntables look really nice. I've been thinking of getting one myself, but I have a vintage Philips turntable I want to get running again. If that doesn't work out, I'll definitely be in the market for a Planar.

I was a bit indifferent to Consolers of the Lonely, so it will be interesting to sit down with Help Us Stranger eventually. Had a listen to the first track, Bored and Razed, and that was quite decent!

Another Way to Die is miles better than Writing's on the Wall, but I have to admit I've never been a fan of AWTD either. The last time I heard it, it felt like a track that wasn't completely finished; like a rough mix almost.

I've heard that about Consolers, I like their debut but the 2nd album is what sealed the deal I've had it on vinyl since release but I got the new Vault version a while back and the album sounded superb.

Help Us Stranger is more a straight up rock album not as ambitious but out of them all Consolers is still my favourite.

Agree AWTD does sound like a demo but given the time White had after Winehouse and Rosnson bailed it's not surprising. If he'd been given the amount of time Sam Smith and Adele got we would have had something much more satisfying. Although minus Keyes, nothing against her but it seemed like a desperate grab to make the alternative darling White appeal to the masses.

The is my 3rd Rega Planar, the first 2 were second hand this was shop new and I've had it for over 5 years now, belt driven and you have to lift the platter to switch the belt to change 33 to 45. Although I upgraged the power supply so I can switch from 33rpm - 45rpm.

Love my RP3, would be without it.

There were a couple of songs from the debut that got me interested in The Raconteurs. I didn't have the same experience with Consolers, but it's definitely a good album. No doubt about that!

How much time did White have on AWTD? I haven't read much about the recording of the track. If he was pressed for time, I can totally understand the somewhat demo-like feel to it.

Upgradability is one of the reasons I've been thinking of getting a brand new turntable. Doing similar with a vintage turntable often requires more effort – if it's at all possible. My vintage Philips can only be upgraded by a better cartridge/stylus, for example.

The RP3 is the top model, isn't it?

RP3 is middle to near the bottom of the Planar range P6, P8 and upwards, my set up was quite expensive for me but those with money to burn can spend thousands on a turntable. I think the RP3 was looked at as one of the best what would be called budget end TT's out there, What Hifi awards etc.

The P3 has now replaced the RP3 but you can get them second hand for around £350 I think. It was definitely an upgrade for me after my previous Rega's, can't say I've been disappointed with it. I have an old set of Mission tower speakers and I recently bought a 2nd hand 90's model NAD amp. I upgraded the stylus and bought the new power supply with the automatic speed change and each time I've added something I've heard an up tick in the sound.

You really can spend an absolute fortune if you wanted but for me all told this would be the best I could obtain for under the £1000 mark.

As far as I can remember Jack White had nowhere the time others were afforded, I think it stems from them waiting on Amy Winehouse & Mark Ronson to deliver their theme and he then was approached much later on to come up with the QOS theme.

Wasn't aware there existed P6's, P8's etc! Looking at prices right now, I see those are waaay beyond my budget anyway – I'll likely be getting a Planar 1 or 2 if the Philips turntable doesn't offer sufficient sound (when fixed). One can likely upgrade those two models considerably too.

As part of my vintage setup, I have speakers and a few amps as old as the late 60's to the mid 70's. Really like the sound from all components, so that leaves me with the turntable. One of the amps have – in addition to a built-in radio – a Garrard turntable fitted on the top of it. I've had it serviced, but the auto-return function is long gone. The manual setting still works though, but those Garrard's in particular are known to be a bit rough with the records (something about the stylus pressure being a bit wonky or something), so that turntable will only be used for older, worn records.

Remember reading something about Amy Winehouse doing a theme song at some point, but wasn't sure how much there was to it – and if it was only rumours. Would have been interesting to hear what she and Mark Ronson could have done. Thanks for the info!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @Birdleson, the man has a very distinct style and he is a great lyricist.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2019 Posts: 23,105

LOOP_ARRAY 1
    Birdleson wrote: »

Ah, The Kinks, such a wonderful band. Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One is one of my favourite album of theirs as well.

I'm no doubt in a minority here, but I actually prefer The Kinks to The Beatles. The Who/Rolling Stones too.
    EURYTHMICS_1984(For the love of Big Brother)
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 17,241

Ah, The Kinks, such a wonderful band. Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One is one of my favourite album of theirs as well.

I'm no doubt in a minority here, but I actually prefer The Kinks to The Beatles. The Who/Rolling Stones too.

The Kinks would have to settle for 4th place in that battle, for me. But we're talking top tier, regardless. Two of the best concert I've been to were the Kinks in the very early '80s ('81 and '82). I saw them at the Syracuse War Memorial both times. The year before that they had recorded their live album at that venue.

Would've loved to see The Kinks live (80's Kinks must have been great live!), but I guess that will be difficult unless they start touring again. Still hope I'll get the chance to see one of or both The Who and Stones, though!

If I were to rank the four bands, it would look something like this:
    1. The Who
    2. The Rolling Stones / The Kinks
    3. The Beatles

I'd make room for The Doors before The Beatles too, if including American bands of the same period.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 17,241
    The Who was my band growing up in the '60s and '70s (I've seem them several times), and I still love them, but The Grateful Dead is the band that dominated my life. And The Doors are about a perfect band.

Never really listened much to The Grateful Dead, but that's definitely something I should do. Could add The Byrds and The Beach Boys to that list as well. At least I know I have plenty of great music to explore!

As for The Doors, they were just brilliant. I really don't have a favourite album, as there's so many great tracks on all of them. Same with The Who (my favourite band). I do have a soft spot for the music they made in their "mod years", but I guess their best albums were made between 1969-1975.
    PAZUZU_AND ALL WAS SILENT
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2019 Posts: 23,105

THE JESUS AND MARY CHAIN_AUTOMATIC
    JOHNNY CASH_AMERICAN IV: A HUNDRED HIGHWAYS
    THE BRIAN JONESTOWN MASSACRE_MY BLOODY UNDERGROUND
    The Brian Jonestown Massacre did the Boardwalk Empire theme, didn't they?
    The Brian Jonestown Massacre did the Boardwalk Empire theme, didn't they?

That's where I heard of them! Totally forgot!

Same here! Great track that song.

• edited July 2019 Posts: 6,665
    This was my entire day today. That and a sunburn all over.

THE BRIAN JONESTOWN MASSACRE_...AND THIS IS OUR MUSIC
    edited July 2019 Posts: 23,105
    The Black Hole John Barry

This track is very James Bond...
    Univex wrote: »
    This was my entire day today. That and a sunburn all over.

It's nice to see other jazz lovers here (and not the Kenny G smooth stuff).
    My latest craze is Brad Mehldau, whose latest album is probably a bit difficult for most to take a liking to.
    THE BRIAN JONESTOWN MASSACRE_STRUNG OUT IN HEAVEN
    PSYCHIC ILLS_INNER JOURNEY OUT
    BLACK MOUNTAIN_YEAR ZERO: THE ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
    ZOTH IN YOUR MIND
    PEN JAKKE_ØSTEN
    JUSTIN HURWITZ_FIRST MAN (ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK)