Last album you listened to?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    MINUTEMEN_BUZZ OR HOWL UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF THE HEAT
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 5,800
    brigittenues.jpg

44a8e7129799a5d27c641e2424e29095--cd-audio-.jpg
    DE PRESS_REKYL
    THE CURE_KISS ME, KISS ME, KISS ME
    1919-THE COMPLETE COLLECTION
    Thin Lizzy – Black Rose: A Rock Legend

Birdleson wrote: »

+1
    @Univex , a couple of years ago a friend gave me every McCartney album remastered. I just finally decided to sit down and immerse myself today. Great stuff, I probably haven't listened to most of these albums in their entirety since the '70s. I'm going to try to do one a day.

Huge Macca fan here. Huge. So, very good to know, @Birdleson. I must do the same thing one of these days. Just got Egypt Station, the man's still got it. Some very good songs in there. Saw him live in 2004, one the best live concerts I had the luck to go to.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 6,677
    I have listened to EGYPT STATION, there is some good stuff on there. I saw him once with his band around 2004. Then I saw him do some acoustic stuff with Neil Young and Tony Bennett at the annual Bridge School Benefit (went both nights).

That must have been something, @Birdleson. Quite jealous of that.
    So, we've seen McCartney the same year. Nice. Good people get what they deserve, apparently at the same time ;)
    Cheers
    That's just brilliant! Thanks, @Birdleson.
    UNWOUND_REPETITION
    LOST WEEKEND: THE BEST OF WALL OF VOODOO
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The New Raconteurs album was a long wait but boy was it worth it, Help Us Stranger is a blindingly good.

Just through my ear phones on the phone so far but tomorow it gets the turntable treatment can't wait.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    The New Raconteurs album was a long wait but boy was it worth it, Help Us Stranger is a blindingly good.

Just through my ear phones on the phone so far but tomorow it gets the turntable treatment can't wait.

Interesting! Wasn't even aware they were still active. Will have to give it a listen.

What kind of turntable do you have, @Shardlake?
    WOODEN SHJIPS_VOL.2

Interesting! Wasn't even aware they were still active. Will have to give it a listen.

Rega Planar RP3, I had almost given up on them releasing anything more as Jack White seems to move on from things, all of his solo albums have been progressions.

This album is quite different to their last Consolers of the Lonely and comes across as a straight up rock album.

Though all the members as well as White are firing on all 4 cylinders, tight as ever and not a dud in sight in a very brief but extremely effective 3rd album.

I don't mind Another Way to Die, although I wonder what JW would have come up with given the time.

Although I think it's nowhere as bad as some say and it's leagues better than that Sam Smith bollocks.
    edited June 2019 Posts: 23,263

Rega Planar RP3, I had almost given up on them releasing anything more as Jack White seems to move on from things, all of his solo albums have been progressions.

This album is quite different to their last Consolers of the Lonely and comes across as a straight up rock album.

Though all the members as well as White are firing on all 4 cylinders, tight as ever and not a dud in sight in a very brief but extremely effective 3rd album.

I don't mind Another Way to Die, although I wonder what JW would have come up with given the time.

Although I think it's nowhere as bad as some say and it's leagues better than that Sam Smith bollocks.

Those Planar turntables look really nice. I've been thinking of getting one myself, but I have a vintage Philips turntable I want to get running again. If that doesn't work out, I'll definitely be in the market for a Planar.

I was a bit indifferent to Consolers of the Lonely, so it will be interesting to sit down with Help Us Stranger eventually. Had a listen to the first track, Bored and Razed, and that was quite decent!

Another Way to Die is miles better than Writing's on the Wall, but I have to admit I've never been a fan of AWTD either. The last time I heard it, it felt like a track that wasn't completely finished; like a rough mix almost.
    MATTHEW DEAR_BEAMS

Those Planar turntables look really nice. I've been thinking of getting one myself, but I have a vintage Philips turntable I want to get running again. If that doesn't work out, I'll definitely be in the market for a Planar.

I was a bit indifferent to Consolers of the Lonely, so it will be interesting to sit down with Help Us Stranger eventually. Had a listen to the first track, Bored and Razed, and that was quite decent!

Another Way to Die is miles better than Writing's on the Wall, but I have to admit I've never been a fan of AWTD either. The last time I heard it, it felt like a track that wasn't completely finished; like a rough mix almost.

I've heard that about Consolers, I like their debut but the 2nd album is what sealed the deal I've had it on vinyl since release but I got the new Vault version a while back and the album sounded superb.

Help Us Stranger is more a straight up rock album not as ambitious but out of them all Consolers is still my favourite.

Agree AWTD does sound like a demo but given the time White had after Winehouse and Rosnson bailed it's not surprising. If he'd been given the amount of time Sam Smith and Adele got we would have had something much more satisfying. Although minus Keyes, nothing against her but it seemed like a desperate grab to make the alternative darling White appeal to the masses.

The is my 3rd Rega Planar, the first 2 were second hand this was shop new and I've had it for over 5 years now, belt driven and you have to lift the platter to switch the belt to change 33 to 45. Although I upgraged the power supply so I can switch from 33rpm - 45rpm.

Love my RP3, would be without it.

ANTHOLOGY OF TOM WAITS

I've heard that about Consolers, I like their debut but the 2nd album is what sealed the deal I've had it on vinyl since release but I got the new Vault version a while back and the album sounded superb.

Help Us Stranger is more a straight up rock album not as ambitious but out of them all Consolers is still my favourite.

Agree AWTD does sound like a demo but given the time White had after Winehouse and Rosnson bailed it's not surprising. If he'd been given the amount of time Sam Smith and Adele got we would have had something much more satisfying. Although minus Keyes, nothing against her but it seemed like a desperate grab to make the alternative darling White appeal to the masses.

The is my 3rd Rega Planar, the first 2 were second hand this was shop new and I've had it for over 5 years now, belt driven and you have to lift the platter to switch the belt to change 33 to 45. Although I upgraged the power supply so I can switch from 33rpm - 45rpm.

There were a couple of songs from the debut that got me interested in The Raconteurs. I didn't have the same experience with Consolers, but it's definitely a good album. No doubt about that!

How much time did White have on AWTD? I haven't read much about the recording of the track. If he was pressed for time, I can totally understand the somewhat demo-like feel to it.

Upgradability is one of the reasons I've been thinking of getting a brand new turntable. Doing similar with a vintage turntable often requires more effort – if it's at all possible. My vintage Philips can only be upgraded by a better cartridge/stylus, for example.

The RP3 is the top model, isn't it?
    edited June 2019 Posts: 4,043

There were a couple of songs from the debut that got me interested in The Raconteurs. I didn't have the same experience with Consolers, but it's definitely a good album. No doubt about that!

How much time did White have on AWTD? I haven't read much about the recording of the track. If he was pressed for time, I can totally understand the somewhat demo-like feel to it.

Upgradability is one of the reasons I've been thinking of getting a brand new turntable. Doing similar with a vintage turntable often requires more effort – if it's at all possible. My vintage Philips can only be upgraded by a better cartridge/stylus, for example.

The RP3 is the top model, isn't it?

RP3 is middle to near the bottom of the Planar range P6, P8 and upwards, my set up was quite expensive for me but those with money to burn can spend thousands on a turntable. I think the RP3 was looked at as one of the best what would be called budget end TT's out there, What Hifi awards etc.

The P3 has now replaced the RP3 but you can get them second hand for around £350 I think. It was definitely an upgrade for me after my previous Rega's, can't say I've been disappointed with it. I have an old set of Mission tower speakers and I recently bought a 2nd hand 90's model NAD amp. I upgraded the stylus and bought the new power supply with the automatic speed change and each time I've added something I've heard an up tick in the sound.

You really can spend an absolute fortune if you wanted but for me all told this would be the best I could obtain for under the £1000 mark.

As far as I can remember Jack White had nowhere the time others were afforded, I think it stems from them waiting on Amy Winehouse & Mark Ronson to deliver their theme and he then was approached much later on to come up with the QOS theme.