Mr White, Dominic Greene, Raoul Silva. Spot the connection?

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but it's just struck me that in all of Daniel Craig's films to date there is a colour theme connecting the main villains (ok Le Chiffre excluded!). I wonder if we'll get Mr Black in Bond 24?
(not forgetting Mr Slate in QOS, albeit a minor villain).

Comments

It is the EON version of Reservoir Dogs! :D All joking aside i do genuinely hope we see the return of Quantum with a very strong plot and quality, sadistic villains! Oh? Also the very attractive but deadly ladies! :-bd
    I really like the.. erm.. colorful.. name choices. It adds, to me, a literary flair to the films. Something that it seems could very easily be in the realm of Fleming. If I was an average movie goer who had seen Craig's three, and noticed the colorful names, I would think it was because that was some niche thing about Bond.. perhaps something a writer did originally. Quite subtle creativity from the not-so-subtle team of Purvis and Wade.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Next one should be called Bronzehead, or Silverfin, or Goldeneye. Just pick one.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    It is the EON version of Reservoir Dogs! :D All joking aside i do genuinely hope we see the return of Quantum with a very strong plot and quality, sadistic villains! Oh? Also the very attractive but deadly ladies! :-bd

This.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 13,896
    Yep, and one can find other 'colour' names throughout the series if you include Donald 'Red' Grant', Goldfinger, Sir Frederick Gray, Colonel Tan-Sun Moon, Achille Aubergine etc. - but three in a row for Craig's run does seem like more than coincidence.

On that note, one clever cookie on another forum joked that Quantum could transition into SPECTRE via the title of 'Spectrum'... :O :-?
  • RC7RC7
    QBranch wrote: »
    Colonel Tan-Sun Moon, Achille Aubergine etc.

This made me laugh. Dulux should do a Bond colour chart.
    haha. Sadly, 'Colorbond' is taken already.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Well spotted. I think I noticed this myself a while back but probably forgot all about it again. I think Silva will not be shown to have had any links with the Quantum organisation however so his name is merely a red herring here.
    "Silva" is not a color, Silver is the color. Silva is just another Latin name. They could have always named him "Silver" as that is a pretty common Anglo Saxon name but "Silva".
    I fail to see the connection aside from _________________(fill in the blanks)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    They can name the girl in the next film Scarlett, the villain Crimson, the henchman Mr. Black, ... and if Craig would refer to his little finger as 'pinkie', I too would suspect an obsession with Newton's colour spectrum. ;-)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The head of Quantum is really Mr. Boddy. His butler is Wadsworth, played by Tim Curry.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    They can name the girl in the next film Scarlett, the villain Crimson, the henchman Mr. Black, ... and if Craig would refer to his little finger as 'pinkie', I too would suspect an obsession with Newton's colour spectrum. ;-)

And the title track by Professor Green?

DarthDimi wrote: »

And the title track by Professor Green?

That would be out of the blue. ;-)

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Oh Dimi, just...

url-17.gif

Even Cary Grant wasn't impressed. ;)
    A gentleman knows when it's time to leave. ;-)
    Well, Blofeld may be the next villain then: Bleuville, Bleuchamp, there is blue in the name. If there is a villain whose name means in full or in part blue, in any language, my bet is that he truly is Blofeld. Signor Azzuro, maybe?
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    "Silva" is not a color, Silver is the color. Silva is just another Latin name. They could have always named him "Silver" as that is a pretty common Anglo Saxon name but "Silva".

I agree, and have been a bit mystified by people insisting "Silva" is a colour. It makes me think of forest, not colours. "Silva" obviously doesn't mean "silver" (in Portuguese, Spanish, or Latin, at least), and the pronunciation of "silver" and "silva" isn't the same, either. I can only assume that since there have been previous colour names, many are eager to try and see "Silva" as one, too. Hey, if it makes people happy... :)

Ludovico wrote: »
    Well, Blofeld may be the next villain then: Bleuville, Bleuchamp, there is blue in the name. If there is a villain whose name means in full or in part blue, in any language, my bet is that he truly is Blofeld. Signor Azzuro, maybe?

Good point, @Ludovico!
    Tuulia wrote: »
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    I agree, and have been a bit mystified by people insisting "Silva" is a colour. It makes me think of forest, not colours. "Silva" obviously doesn't mean "silver" (in Portuguese, Spanish, or Latin, at least), and the pronunciation of "silver" and "silva" isn't the same, either. I can only assume that since there have been previous colour names, many are eager to try and see "Silva" as one, too. Hey, if it makes people happy... :)
    I find it amusing how both of you are looking far too deeply into this to the point of becoming redundant in regards to the topic. Everyone here knows 'silver' is the colour- not 'Silva', and 'silver' is how his name is pronounced in the film, hence the connection. Thanks for the lesson in Latin, though!
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    I share QBranch's bemusement at others' lack of understanding that Silva simply sounds like silver.

Anyway, I've red enough bad puns on this thread already, I can azure you.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Maybe Quantum used color names but Green would mist likely be a proper name? ..not an alias? No I don't get it.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Maybe Quantum used color names but Green would mist likely be a proper name? ..not an alias? No I don't get it.

Well there was Greene Planet as his front organisation too of course.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Proof?
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Good point, @Ludovico!

Maybe it is wishful thinking of my part. But still.