Guns For Real

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited September 2014 in General Discussion Posts: 17,691
We're all fans of Bond here, and many of us think his PPK is cool and all, but I was wondering what the thinking is on owning real guns ourselves.
I'm an American, and as such I have a God-given right to own a gat & blast away at any physically threatening perp pissing me off so I can stand my ground!

But in reality I only own a couple of airsoft plastic pellet bb PPK replicas to shoot paper targets with.

Am I a p*ssy? Should I exercise my RIGHT to arm myself with REAL guns in case of, uh, a problem or something?
What if my government becomes crazy & institutes martial law & I need to shoot at tanks with my handgun?
Well, okay, not such a good example...

What if I were a girl living in a rough neighborhood where lots of assaults occurred? Yeah, maybe THAT.

Wanna discuss? :-??

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, you have a government given right to own guns. :)
    And you have chosen a very volatile, "loaded" (pun intended) topic.

I think I'll pass; but I'm sure others will jump in soon.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
  • It might not be a real gun, but it's close! I bought it last summer and it's more than enough for me. It says boom and it fires so it'll do. ;)

http://www.cabom.se/produkter/luftvapen/luftpistol-kolsyrevapen/walther-ppk-s-svart,15222003
  • I have a real PPK- it's the first thing I bought when I got my license!
    I even keep it under my bed (under the pillow like Bond does was just too much, lol)

I made sure my girlfriend knows how to use it too
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    As long as there are people who

- think the Earth is flat
    - who preach that all infidels should be killed
    - believe that stars position themselves to predict our future
    - rather send their ill kids to a spiritual quack than to an educated doctor

I don't think the human race is ready for guns.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 4,813
    Say wHat? But the irth is flat!

readImage?iid=61537
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Say wHat? But the irth is flat!

readImage?iid=61537

Let's give this guy a gun!

heston_thumb.jpg

• edited September 2014 Posts: 4,813
    Here is my PPK- I just love it!

1909261_10100360736638061_1839420492_o.jpg

Photo taken at just the right second! B-)
    10150531_10100376807886151_8108724762567715853_n.jpg?oh=1ec3765476f2744edfb9c281c66b4af3&oe=545C92A6&__gda__=1416994291_677beb3da75b63421dc864dc366688c0

And here's what I was issued for work: a Glock 22. That sucker packs a punch!

glock22.gif
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    It might not be a real gun, but it's close! I bought it last summer and it's more than enough for me. It says boom and it fires so it'll do. ;)

http://www.cabom.se/produkter/luftvapen/luftpistol-kolsyrevapen/walther-ppk-s-svart,15222003
    Yeah, that's nice. Mine is a springy so I never need co2, but I can't kill small varmints. Actually, I have a lot of fun with paper targets anyway.

I once thought about getting a real PPK (they make them 15 minutes south of me) but the license, the fees, the cost, the safe- it was just easier to get an airsoft. I can shoot it right in my living room. B-)
    Chrisisall-

I'll try to give an answer without sounding preachy. The decision to purchase a firearm of any kind is a personal decision that you can't take lightly. It is a weapon and not a toy. It's primary function is to take a life and you must always remember that. Movies and tv shows have glamorized it but owning and shooting a gun is quite serious business.

Taking another person's life whether in the military or law enforcement or self-protection or by accident is no laughing matter. To end another person's life is a terrible thing. As Bond and Q's conversation about 'sometimes a trigger must be pulled'.... 'or not pulled' was quite accurate. Pulling a gun on someone requires split second decision-making that you must live with all your life. There's no re-do, no mulligans.

My advice is if do decide to purchase a gun is to receive as much professional training as possible. I'll get off my pulpit now.
    Good advice.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 4,813
    All very true, @FLeiter.
    My girlfriend was just about as pacifist as they come- and didn't even like looking at guns. But once I showed her how to use it, and since I'm not home as often as her, she's very happy to know it's there if she needs it.

And my PSA to any would be rapists and killers out there thinking of breaking in: think twice because I taught her to aim for the penis. Just kidding!

Or am I? lol

giphy.gif
    LOL! I love that scene.