Stephen King's The Stand being remade as a feature film? NO NO NO

If there is already a post on this subject please forgive me.

I recently saw an article that "The Stand" one of Stephen King's earlier books is being adapted as an upcoming film. Matthew McConnaghy is being considered for the role of Randall Flagg.
Problem I have with all of this is (1) The Stand was such an intense, involved book with multi and well developed characters. No feature film could ever do it any justice.
(2) ABC did a miniseries back in 1994 based on this book and I thought it was quite good. I still own the VHS.
(3) Hollywood has always had trouble adapting a King book into a feature film. Most of them fall flat. Cujo, The Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption (actually was a novella and not a novel) being the exceptions.
(4)I am tired of Hollywood remakes. Whatever happened to creativity. The country is crawling with creative people but Hollywood seems locked in this approach.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Firestarter is my favourite King book, and I though the movie was very good for the most part. But The Stand will REALLY suffer as a mere 2 or 3 hour movie. Sure, big cool effects, but so what?
    I was very much anticipating this at one point, back when Ben Affleck was attached to direct. Sadly the whole Batman thing took him away from the project.

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    I am on the fence with this one..... If handled correctly, i wouldn't mind seeing feature film versions of some of King's work like 'The Stand' - i know 'It' is another being greenlit for the big screen - i'm onboard 100% with that if they get Tim Curry back to play Pennywise :)

but i notice you left out 'The Shining' in your list there of exceptions - but thats ok, i'll forgive you ;)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Which Shining? King himself prefers the miniseries, while many prefer the Kubrick movie. I myself am on the fence about them, as there are good parts of both.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    I am on the fence with this one..... If handled correctly, i wouldn't mind seeing feature film versions of some of King's work like 'The Stand' - i know 'It' is another being greenlit for the big screen - i'm onboard 100% with that if they get Tim Curry back to play Pennywise :)

but i notice you left out 'The Shining' in your list there of exceptions - but thats ok, i'll forgive you ;)

At the risk of being punched in the nose, Pennywise wasn't in The Stand.

In regard to The Shining, like Stephen King, I prefer the miniseries to the Kubrick film. It stayed truer to the novel. I enjoyed the its cast better than the film. Did not care for the choices of Scatman Crothers and Shelley Long(?) Both Halloran and Wendy were stronger characters in the book than what we got in Kubrick's film.
    How they are going to get 1200 plus pages in a tops 3 hour movie is just beyond my understanding.
    It would be a movie I would not go and see.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Some time ago, it was to be a Lord of the Rings-type trilogy.
    Some time ago, it was to be a Lord of the Rings-type trilogy.

That's what it should be. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up at least making two films once they realize that it's impossible to condense that novel down into a single 2-3 hour film. It sounded as though Affleck and his screenwriter were having trouble condensing the novel down to one film, so I'm hopeful that it will prove an impossible task and at least force the studio into making 2 films out if it, if not 3.
    There was also talk of turning it into a miniseries, again.
    I loved the 1994 adaptation miniseriesl. It was true to the novel, good cast. (Maybe with the exception of Molly Ringwald) but the rest of the cast was tops and did a bang up job. Rob Lowe, Laura San Giacomo, Mel Ferrer, Gary Sinise.
    Like @SaintMark, a remake would be a movie I would not want to see.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    At the risk of being punched in the nose, Pennywise wasn't in The Stand.

You did read where I said "It" was being greenlit didn't you?... I know the difference between "The Stand" and "It".

In regard to The Shining, like Stephen King, I prefer the miniseries to the Kubrick film. It stayed truer to the novel. I enjoyed the its cast better than the film. Did not care for the choices of Scatman Crothers and Shelley Long(?) Both Halloran and Wendy were stronger characters in the book than what we got in Kubrick's film.

There were aspects of the miniseries that were good - but on the whole I always felt it was vastly inferior to the Kubrick film, even with the creative liberties that Kubrick took with the story....... I do like the novel though.

@haserot You know, "It' is my all time favorite King novel but I never saw the miniseries that aired back in 1990. Just had no interest in watching. I did enjoy "The Stand" and I loved that miniseries.
    When I read the book back in 1987, it was the originally published 700 plus page version. When King released the 1100 page original (that his publisher insisted be cut down more than 300 pages), I choose to pass on that.
    What version did you guys read? the 700 or 1100 page version?
    @haserot You know, "It' is my all time favorite King novel but I never saw the miniseries that aired back in 1990. Just had no interest in watching. I did enjoy "The Stand" and I loved that miniseries.
    When I read the book back in 1987, it was the originally published 700 plus page version. When King released the 1100 page original (that his publisher insisted be cut down more than 300 pages), I choose to pass on that.
    What version did you guys read? the 700 or 1100 page version?

the Stand I read both versions and more in this case is better.

And with IT the end of the series is somewhat Meh, but Tim Curry as the clown is a character you'll never forget. And many a teenager and child have ever been left with a fear or strong sense of unevenness whenever they see a clown. IT the tv show was quite damaging for the clown industry. :D
    I read the longer version of The Stand, and I loved that one so much that I couldn't read the shorter one.
    I read the longer version of The Stand, and I loved that one so much that I couldn't read the shorter one.

same for me, read the Stand upon release and revisited the book on the release of the longer version and that one did it for me with far more story and depth. The longer version actually adds so much more that the short version is kind of a waste of reading time.

As far as "It" and clowns go, I have had an uneasy feeling about clowns since I was five or six years old. I saw a creepy TV show that featured a clown and it traumatized me. I think a fear of clowns is quite natural and Stephen King knew what he was doing when he created Pennywise.
    Gnomes are worse. They stare at you from your own front lawn.