M's Office

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Thanks.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 2,895
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @Revelator , thanks for the clippings; I always get a tingle when I find an opportunity to read Fleming in a different way, or from a different angle.

And thanks for turning me on to Project Gutenberg Canada.

You're very welcome. I forgot to mention that all of Fleming's fiction has been placed online at another Canadian site, Bibliowiki. Crazy Canuck Copyright Laws! (Actually quite sane compared to America's.)
    Fleming's description of M's office was sparser than I remembered--perhaps memories of the film sets had been filling in the gap.

• edited June 2018 Posts: 2,895
    For those of you who have read Forever and a Day, does the office feature at all?

I can report that it features twice!

Forever and a Day:

M reached for his pipe, which rested next to the ashtray made out of a twelve-inch shell base that never left his desk.

...Tanner had already gone into M's office and as Bond followed him a green light came on high above, signalling that they were not to be disturbed. M was sitting at his desk. His pipe had gone out but there was enough smoke in the room to to turn the August sunlight, streaming in over Regent's Park, into shafts.

I also checked Colonel Sun, but M's office does not appear. Instead there's a meeting with "the man Tanner whose office this was and whose insignificance was shown clearly enough by the condition of its furnishings."
    @Revelator , thanks for the clippings; I always get a tingle when I find an opportunity to read Fleming in a different way, or from a different angle.

And thanks for turning me on to Project Gutenberg Canada.

Indeed..great work @Revelator ..this thread has become a great reference point re M and his office.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 3,675
    How many different padded doors has the series had?

And doesn't the red door have some buttons missing after a bit?
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2018 Posts: 4,441
    Of course his office wil get litle make over. Because C whas there.
    Move to another place with place for it alone with more space for Moneypenny.

In Spectre we see more other people, but cameras turn out not to be save.
    It give them also more reasen for Moneypenny behind her desk, as assististent of M.

Sometimes Q and Tanner can be there too. But the Focus should be more on Felix next next time and less contact between Bond and M, Q and Moneypenny. Even Tanner can be middle man and bring things to Bond. If not it should be Felix.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    ggl007 wrote: »
    I am so happy this thread seems to be back alive. Although, I still haven't found anyone to work with on a 3D model.

From a friend in Archivo 007:

DSC02089v_zpstwjrpnsa.jpg

DSC02093b_zpskdavfpdb.jpg

DSC01593_zpstatbkose.jpg

Wow that is simply amazing. This is why I love dioramas.
    I need your guys's help. Can you tell me what are in these pictures? The objects circled in red.

https://imgur.com/a/W0KQIza
    A miniture brass imitation cannon.

Thank you. I will put that in the paper.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I need your guys's help. Can you tell me what are in these pictures? The objects circled in red.

The one in YOLT is a rubber stamp for official documents.
    Bringing back M's old office was the best thing about SF.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

The one in YOLT is a rubber stamp for official documents.

Thank you.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Bringing back M's old office was the best thing about SF.

I'm very glad they did it.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 3,333
    An interesting read and excellent research by @PropertyOfALady. It's funny, when I first saw these movies at the cinema, I never once thought to give M's office the once over. If there were any differences, I knew they were subtle differences. Also, M's office only featured fleetingly in each movie, so there really wasn't the time to notice. I loved the creative touches in TMWTGG (half-sunken RMS Queen Liz in the Hong Kong harbour) and TLD (installed in the hangar bay of a military carrier) and of course YOLT (office on-board a British M1 nuclear submarine). Brosnan's were quite boring by comparison. Now that Bond and M seem to spend an awful lot more time knocking about their new HQ and its offices, I've noticed these things a lot more. It would be good to return to how things were done originally. Less is more.
    Thanks @bondsum . I would really love to know what the big gold thing on the table near M's door is.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

@PropertyOfALady: I just stumbled across this thread a few months after your question. I am rather sure that the thingy in the picture where M is in his navy uniform (is it YOLT?) is an ink blotter, not a rubber stamp or something.

The gadgets with the two containers in images 2, 3 and 5 (the golden chimaera flanked by two amphorae or urns) as well as the somewhat blander types on Moneypenny's desk (I never realised she smoked) and M's desk inside the QUEEN ELIZABETH seem to be inkwells, with the apparent second "container" in each possibly containing blotting sand or something. There also seems to be a little shelf or tray for quills or fountain pens.

The contraption beside the Churchill bust looks like an antique fire extinguisher, but I don't suppose it is.
    Thought I'd give this a bump in light of recent B25 developments.

A shame Judy never got the chance to sit in this iconic office. Her sets were pretty tbh.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2019 Posts: 23,327
    Bond 25... M's office set visit...
    prince-charles-prince-of-wales-with-actress-naomi-harris-news-photo-1157153405-1561045690.jpg?resize=480:*

prince-charles-prince-of-wales-speaks-to-actors-daniel-news-photo-1157153222-1561045635.jpg?resize=480:*

5d0bd0fcf2796.image.jpg?resize=400%2C260
    I hope to goodness her portrait is in there. Maybe above the fireplace like the old MI6 in SF.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Maybe a Spoiler warning is needed on this thread. That would have been a nice surprise. @Fire_and_Ice_Returns , and all others, please use spoiler tags when showing any photos or giving any information in regard to B25. Or use the correctly labeled threads, where some spoilers are expected and warned about. It may seem like a small point, but those are the kind of pieces of info that some of us are trying to avoid. We’ve worked hard to create a spoiler free path, at the same time giving a clearly marked avenue for those who don’t care about spoilers. Thank you.

My apologies, you are right I should have used a spoiler tag
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

@PropertyOfALady: I just stumbled across this thread a few months after your question. I am rather sure that the thingy in the picture where M is in his navy uniform (is it YOLT?) is an ink blotter, not a rubber stamp or something.

The gadgets with the two containers in images 2, 3 and 5 (the golden chimaera flanked by two amphorae or urns) as well as the somewhat blander types on Moneypenny's desk (I never realised she smoked) and M's desk inside the QUEEN ELIZABETH seem to be inkwells, with the apparent second "container" in each possibly containing blotting sand or something. There also seems to be a little shelf or tray for quills or fountain pens.

The contraption beside the Churchill bust looks like an antique fire extinguisher, but I don't suppose it is.

Thank you. Your info will be well used.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    What's this? A BAFTA? ;)

kKzXnhS.jpg
    Where?
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Just behind the camera, on the chimney. Something like this, but in white:

260px-PremioBAFTA_P_1.jpg
    Oh, I see it now.
    It's just one of the seven BAFTAS Fiennes has ;)

lol, it does look like one. Good catch.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Looks... Grεεκ To Me.
    Bond 25... M's office set visit...
    prince-charles-prince-of-wales-with-actress-naomi-harris-news-photo-1157153405-1561045690.jpg?resize=480:*

prince-charles-prince-of-wales-speaks-to-actors-daniel-news-photo-1157153222-1561045635.jpg?resize=480:*

5d0bd0fcf2796.image.jpg?resize=400%2C260
    "Hey, there should be a portrait of my mum up there!"
    So today is the wife’s birthday and we’ve checked into a hotel in Trafalgar Square. The lady offered us an upgrade owing to the Corona issues. So our new room she told us was the former office of Cunard, and in our room the first SOS signal was received from the stricken Titanic. Which was very cool, then to the side of one wall is a small plaque saying it was also used as M’s Office in Dr No. having checked footage the wood panelling is exactly right, despite some people saying it was shot at Pinewood. The windows are also all identical all be it painted in modern colours. How cool is that?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    So today is the wife’s birthday and we’ve checked into a hotel in Trafalgar Square. The lady offered us an upgrade owing to the Corona issues. So our new room she told us was the former office of Cunard, and in our room the first SOS signal was received from the stricken Titanic. Which was very cool, then to the side of one wall is a small plaque saying it was also used as M’s Office in Dr No. having checked footage the wood panelling is exactly right, despite some people saying it was shot at Pinewood. The windows are also all identical all be it painted in modern colours. How cool is that?

Proves that even Covid-19 has its positive effects.