Classic Rock

2»

Comments

Thank the Gods punk came along and killed off bands making anymore music like Boston and Rush. :-W
    @Shoreline: Boston and Rush are the classics, who can produce such amazing music any time of day. Just look at how successful such albums were like Boston (1976) and Moving Pictures (1981). Look at the classics like More Than a Feeling, Peace of Mind, Don't Look Back, Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio, or Limelight. That's good music, my friend! :-D
    Ha ha! Nooooooooooooooo! Gotta dissagree my friend, don`t think I`m gonna be popular around here!
    @Shorline: Well, that's all right! I hope I didn't upset you. I just can't stand dislike for the classics, but hey, we all have our points of view! In fact, some punk/grunge bands are decent with me, like Pearl Jam. Even Flow is an awesome song!
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    RUSH is a true classic rock band, just listen to this song that will be on their new album,

This is 2011, and RUSH is still kicking it!!!! The most talented band to ever hit the stage.

ROCK ON
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 4,622
    classic rock has to be rooted in either the 60's or 70's to be considered classic rock IMHO.

My favourite are the big brit bands of the 60's and 70's
    Beatles, Stones, Who, Floyd, Tull, Purple, Zep, Yes, Genesis, Sabbath plus Bowie, Rod Stewart, Clapton and Jeff Beck.
    All legends, and all still going as bands or splinter solo acts. In fact Yes just made a new album, their first in 10 years.

Also like Alice Cooper, Heart, Queen, Guess Who, Rush, BTO, April Wine, Styx, Cars, Supertramp, Blondie, the 70's glam stuff such as Sweet, New York Dolls, Lou Reed, Stooges, and of course Hendrix, plus the early punk bands which are of the 70's, but it was a whole new sound and not really lumped in with classic rock. In fact the punks rebelled against the mainstream rock of the day.
    @timmer: Agreed with The Rolling Stones, The Who, Deep Purple, Genesis, Heart, Rush, Styx, and The Cars. Magnificent bands!
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 5,767
    Has anyone noticed that kind of snorkling nosey sound at around 5:30 in Led Zeppelin´s For your Life? I just now noticed it, even though I´ve been listening to them for about 5 years now. I love them for having all kinds of odd background noises on their tracks, but I still couldn´t believe that they got away with this one when I heard it, it´s so funny. Just adds to the great sense of humor which sparkles here and there out from between seemingly serious workout.
    boldfinger wrote:
    Has anyone noticed that kind of snorkling nosey sound at around 5:30 in Led Zeppelin´s For your Life? I just now noticed it, even though I´ve been listening to them for about 5 years now. I love them for having all kinds of odd background noises on their tracks, but I still couldn´t believe that they got away with this one when I heard it, it´s so funny. Just adds to the great sense of humor which sparkles here and there out from between seemingly serious workout.

I have only listened to "For Your Life" once or twice, and I never did notice that sound! Quite interesting, @boldfinger! Next time I listen to it, I'll be on the lookout for that.

I enjoy Led Zeppelin from time to time, but I'm not exactly what one might call a "Led Head". I only like certain songs of theirs- some of their work just doesn't resonate with me, particularly their first album. I can't stand it when Robert Plant just yells or howls throughout a song. He can't pull that off like some vocalists can- with Plant, it's very grating to the ears, in my opinion. Granted, I've not delved deeply into their albums to find more of their work that does click with me, so I'm probably missing out on some very valuable treasures. If I had to pick a few Led Zeppelin favorites of mine, I'd say "Heartbreaker", "No Quarter", "Black Dog", "Whole Lotta Love", "Tangerine", "Tea for One", "The Song Remains the Same", "Celebration Day", "Dancing Days", and "Immigrant Song" would all make the list. Those are the ones I tend to listen to the most, at least.
    @00Beast, take your time. I had the CDs lying around for about five years before I got back to them, and during the next five years of listening to them I slowly discovered gem after gem, and I don´t think I´m finished. In the beginning I used to like mainly II, III and IV, then slowly I discovered the quality of later albums like Presence, or In through the Out Door. I too had my difficulties with the first album, mainly because it doesn´t have the kind of alternative rock vibe the next three albums had.

On another note, I watched a Roger Waters interview on youtube that was apparently recorded this year, where the man said he´s going to make another album.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 1,817
    Not heavy at all but my favorites are:
    The Beatles, Jefferson Airplane, Bruce Springsteen, and Fleetwood Mac.
    But I also like many tunes from others such as The Animals, Cream, Creedence, Lynyrd Skynyrd...

And my all time favorite is Johnny Cash which has a place in the Rock Hall of Fame.
  • Here's a thread that hasn't been around since I started posting on this forum! Anyone care to guess at MY tastes in music? (Shouldn't be too hard I think...)
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Shoreline wrote:
    Thank the Gods punk came along and killed off bands making anymore music like Boston and Rush. :-W

Justin Bieber in disguise? Now wonder your taste if music sucks!!