Classic Rock

edited June 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 4,762
Classic Rock is my favorite music genre! There really isn't any substitute for it, especially with today's awful, horrible, despised "rap-crap, teen pop" style music, which takes no kind of talent to produce whatsoever. Anyone else agree that Classic Rock is the best, and if so, what's your favorite band?

Comments

Yeah I do 00Beast. Bowie and Queen have been my favourites on and off since 1973 / 1974, and the Stones, Kiss, Lizzy. Queen as a live band were untouchable. Other favourites are The Clash, Bauhaus, Marillion (with Steve Hogarth), R.E.M., U2.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Classic Rock is my 2nd favourite type of music, next to Metal of all kinds (garbage pop like Disturbed isn't metal, it's pop crap).

My favourite classic rock bands are, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Juthro Tull, Thin Lizzy, Yes, CCR, and The Who.

Evidently, some Zeppelin, DP, and Lizzy can couunt as early Metal pioneers B-)
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    Pink Floyd!!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I always loved classic rock as a teen, and occassionally I will listen again to old favourites.
    Instead of getting all misty-eyed listening to old classics, I actually feel a little disappointed that they don't sound as good as I remembered. I was all ready to go on a long journey last week with Bat Out Of Hell in the player. Ended up skipping about 3 songs. Just wasn't the same. I really struggle to look backwards in anything
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited June 2011 Posts: 1,986
    Pink Floyd!!
    :-q :0& :-q

;)
  • I always loved classic rock as a teen, and occassionally I will listen again to old favourites.
    Instead of getting all misty-eyed listening to old classics, I actually feel a little disappointed that they don't sound as good as I remembered. I was all ready to go on a long journey last week with Bat Out Of Hell in the player. Ended up skipping about 3 songs. Just wasn't the same. I really struggle to look backwards in anything
    I liked classic rock when I was younger, but a lot of that was because I was "supposed to".

I grew up in a very conservative area where the worst insult possible was that a thing or person was "weird". People lived in terror of being labeled as such. Of course, what was not weird was very narrow. Liking any music other than classic rock, liking food other than fast food or steak or pizza, liking movies that weren't action films (or were more than 20 years old), liking books and reading - all these things were seen as proof that a young guy was homosexual, leading to him being a social outcast and teased constantly (and often beaten up). Of course, the great irony was that all those things would make a guy more appealing to women - and much more successful with women than the guys beating him up because they thought he was gay!

Anyway, I used to work at a place where the only radio station they would play was the classic rock station. I was then older and more confident so I asked the manager if we could put a different station on. She refused, saying that a Top 40 station just played the same songs over and over again. I tried explaining to her that the songs change every month but she still refused. What was funny is that there is a limited number of classic rock songs and no new ones being produced (or else they would be just rock, not classic rock). So instead of listening to the same songs for a month we listened to the same songs for two years! No matter how good a song is listening to it constantly will lessen its appeal.

I'm always excited about the new things we can do so I like hearing new and different music. I find it exciting when someone comes out with a new song or a new style. With all the years of listening to the same classic rock my response is now more of a "Meh - been there, done that".
    I love a lot of the bands that you would consider classic rock, but I don't like the term "classic rock" because it's so broad. When I think of that term I think of those classic rock radio stations here in the States that feature bands like: Peter Frampton, Journey, Kansas, Boston, etc--bands I'm not a fan of. To me these are bloated 70's corporate rock bands.

But you'll get these great bands on there too that I do like:

The Who, TRex, Led Zep, The Beatles, Kinks, Bowie, Mott the Hoople, Credence...

Guilty Pleasures: AC/DC, Wings,

But again, those stations play the same damn songs over and over...if I have to here "Carry on My Wayward Side" one more time, I'm gonna...eh...probably just change the station (but I'll likely have a temporary fit!)
  • Well growing-up in this time of age, and with the surroundings around me through my life, i have to say; no, unfortunately, i actually really do enjoy this "today's awful, horrible, despised "rap-crap, teen pop" style music", though not my favourite, infact i vary in types of music, i have no 'type'.... strangely.

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited June 2011 Posts: 4,399
    i love me some...

Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Blue Oyster Cult
    Jimi Hendrix
    David Bowie
    Led Zeppelin
    Bob Marley (not really classic rock, but still...)
    The Beatles
    Boston
    Alice Cooper
    The Doors
    AC/DC
    Pink Floyd
    Queen
    Elvis
    The Moody Blues

but i'll go back a little further as well... often times (and with some weird looks from my friends) i like listening to old doowop or Motown...

The 5 Satins
    The Temptations
    Richie Valens
    The Delfonics
    The Isley Brothers
    The Righteous Brothers
    Brothers Johnson
    Zap and Roger
    Smokey Robinson

i can really listen to just about anything - except for Pop/Dance garbage, or Country.
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 5,767
    I´m not a fan genres. Led Zeppelin and ZZ Top are among my favorite bands. Duran Duran did some marvellous stuff in the late 90s. Front 242 did very good stuff in the 80s and 90s. I even find the new Limp Bizkit album much fun. :bz
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Name a 'classic rock' band and I'll tell you if I don't like them - it's more likely or not, whoever you name, I will do. Seriously... :)
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    That's kind of my favorite music to listen to these days. Not a real fan of what's the kids call modern music these days.

Fan of:

Pink Floyd
    Rush
    AC/DC
    Deep Purple
    Metallica
    Tom Petty
    Who
    Hendrix
    Led Zepplin

Just to name a few.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Name a 'classic rock' band and I'll tell you if I don't like them - it's more likely or not, whoever you name, I will do. Seriously... :)
    Bucks Fizz :-D
    I didn't really listen to music until around the mid to late 80's when, as a teenager I was taken to a "Rock" pub by a friend. He told me it was a great place with great people and you'll hear some great music. How right he was!!

The first song I heard when entering the place? Guns n' Roses - It's so Easy. Wow, it just blew me away and from that moment on GN'R have been my favourite band and still are.

That obviously got me interested in rock music and I went out buying what I would now consider classic rock.

Bands/artists such as Whitesnake, Poison, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Skid Row, Kiss, AC/DC, Iron Maiden and Motorhead among others still have pride of place in my vinyl/cd collection. I still find it amazingf that some of these bands are still going.

My favourite era is probably the 80's and I was gutted when Nirvana and grunge came along and the popularity of 80's rock dropped.

I'm still always on the lookout for new vinyl - charity shops are where I spend most of my lunch breaks flicking through the records - and I have found a lot of bargains along the way.
    My favorite bands are:
    1. Foreigner
    2. Aerosmith
    3. Van Halen
    4. Boston
    5. Styx
    6. Rush
    7. Chicago
    8. The Rolling Stones
    9. The Who
    10. The Steve Miller Band
    Srry to break it to you, but there is nothing classic about Rush! :p
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Touché! A highly unforgivable omission!
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Bucks Fizz :-D
    Throw in a six-pack of Kronnies and they're awesome... ;)

Touché! A highly unforgivable omission!
    You have to ask yourself, would you be comfortable listening to Rush with a hot date? (or anyone if you ask me!) NO!!! It ain`t rock and roll!!!
    Seriously, I was dragged along to see them in the late `80`s and hated every split second of it. Give me 3 chords and an attitude any day over Neil Pearts "math" drumming, and did Geddy Lee really lose both balls to sing that high? Classic rock ain`t really my thing, though I reckon AC/DC and ZZTOP fit this catagory, and they certainly do the job! (Sorry)

X_X
  • LudsLuds MIA
    OK, in all seriousness, Rush isn't classic rock, it's progressive rock. It's still rock, and well quite good really. If you can't stand Lee, just listen to YYZ, he won't bother you ;)

• You have to ask yourself, would you be comfortable listening to Rush with a hot date? (or anyone if you ask me!) NO!!! It ain`t rock and roll!!!

X_X
    I have to confess that Classic Rock is a type of music that wouldn't come to mind for a hot date...candlelight dinner...dressed to the nines (like Bond)...good champagne...classic rock seems out of place to me.

I can't see Bond playing classic rock when wooing a woman so maybe that's what's throwing me off.

Rush has been classified under both Progressive Rock and Classic Rock, and I really don't understand what the deal is with Geddy Lee's singing. I think he's a great singer! Alex Lifeson is a beast on guitar, and Neil Peart is one of the most fantastic drummers of all time!
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited June 2011 Posts: 2,629
    re: thelordflasheart

"I can't see Bond playing classic rock when wooing a woman so maybe that's what's throwing me off."

Perhaps if Bond tried this classic rock song.

Now everyone stop bagging on Rush.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Classic rock is supreme, it has no equal. Yet today's age is filled with gangsta rap shit. Its a shame really.

For me RUSH is the essence of music.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I love a lot of the bands that you would consider classic rock, but I don't like the term "classic rock" because it's so broad. When I think of that term I think of those classic rock radio stations here in the States that feature bands like: Peter Frampton, Journey, Kansas, Boston, etc--bands I'm not a fan of. To me these are bloated 70's corporate rock bands.
    Me too..

I prefer the term hard rock;

The Who
    Zeppelin
    Black Sabbath
    Jimi Hendrix
    AC/DC
    David Bowie
    The Kinks
    The Beatles
    The Rolling Stones
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Oasis
    REM
    Nirvana
    Guns n’ Roses
    Ocean Colour Scene
    Neil Young
    The Doors
    Bob Marley
    The Yardbirds
    The Small Faces
    The Cult
    Deep Purple
    Tom Petty
    Madness

ect...

AC/DC ... this is all.

I also feel like this is the stuff you need to be on a road trip for to really rock out to - this is what my Dad and I do on long car trips. So much fun :)
    especially with today's awful, horrible, despised "rap-crap, teen pop" style music, which takes no kind of talent to produce whatsoever.
    I'm sorry its crap like this that really annoys me. Yeah, there is a lot of junk out there but there is some real good stuff there as well. Get off your high horse. You remind me of Indie kids ... god I hate Indie kids.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    The first song I heard when entering the place? Guns n' Roses - It's so Easy. Wow, it just blew me away and from that moment on GN'R have been my favourite band and still are.
    You're a good man \m/

Guns and Queen are my favourite bands.
    Rush has been classified under both Progressive Rock and Classic Rock, and I really don't understand what the deal is with Geddy Lee's singing. I think he's a great singer! Alex Lifeson is a beast on guitar, and Neil Peart is one of the most fantastic drummers of all time!
    I never was too fond of Geddy Lee´s singing, but he´s one crazy ********* on the bass. I think anyone who learned to play bass professionally will list Geddy Lee as a major motivator. And his finger technique is, as one journalist once so adequately put it, fairly insane!

That said, I have an insane urge to listen to some old ACDC and Rose Tattoo lately!

Boston is my second-favorite band. I'm also a fan of AC/DC and Bon Jovi, but they're not listed under "Classic Rock" in my iTunes library.
    @ltwftw: Yeah, you've got to love Boston! A truly amazing band!