Bluray best version thread.

edited May 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 6,432
Slowly replacing majority of my dvds with bluray, there are often different versions of movies more so on bluray. Find myself reading endless reviews on which is the best version or import to buy. Which can lead to me not buying any of them.

From your experience from the films you have bought what are the best versions of films to purchase?

I have numerous versions of the pre reboot Star Trek films on dvd. Been deliberating whether to buy the Original series and next gen movie boxset, does anyone own it and is it worth purchasing?

Comments

• edited May 2014 Posts: 1,181
    I love the Star Trek series too. I don't know if you checked out the reviews on bluray.com but here's a link.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Trek-The-Next-Generation-Season-1-Blu-ray/30939/

It seems to get great picture quality ratings, but the episodes are still presented in 1.33:1 ratio like most older shows. I'm sure you already knew that. The only thing that keeps me away from buying them on bluray is the price. They are very expensive so I'm going to wait hopefully for a package deal down the road sometime. I can stream all of them on Netflix for the time being so that is fun to go through and watch them all.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I guess it really depends on what you're looking to upgrade to. Like the site that Ed posted, check out www.blu-ray.com. Just enter the name of a film, and it'll show you what versions are available (if any) on blu-ray. From there, you can read the reviews or visit that film's forum for first-hand accounts on what's the best version of the movie. Usually the review is sufficient enough, as it has a Video Quality and Audio Quality rating section.
    @Ed83 thanks, the fact only Wrath of Khan is the only one that has been in quotes fully restored i am wary in case the other films get same treatment. As you said alot of money to shell out and was also hoping to find The motion picture directors cut on bluray.

@ Creasy47 read a few forums, been after Conan the Barbarian learned that many complete versions of films in general seem to be European imports. Specifically with Conan a French deluxe version is the only totally uncut version i can find. Bar modern films which are which are pretty much at top level with picture and sound, been stung a few times with older films on bluray.
    If you're willing to spend the money, you could always get a region-free blu-ray player. They cost a few hundred dollars, but it's worth it knowing that any blu-ray out there can be purchased. I know that there are some blu-rays that aren't Region A that I've wanted for a while, but I just hold out hope that they'll be released eventually.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Been looking recently at region free players, my current one has become temperamental with dvds though plays bluray fine. Good idea think ill get one sooner rather than later, will see how much longer current player lasts on my third player lol or it could be the fourth.
    If you ever have issues with your blu-ray player, try connecting to the Internet through it to allow it to update. I remember not being able to play a borrowed copy of 'Alien 3' on blu-ray for some reason at one point. I updated it and apparently that fixed the issue, though the most recent time I went to watch it, I played it on my PS4 and it worked just fine.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    If you ever have issues with your blu-ray player, try connecting to the Internet through it to allow it to update. I remember not being able to play a borrowed copy of 'Alien 3' on blu-ray for some reason at one point. I updated it and apparently that fixed the issue, though the most recent time I went to watch it, I played it on my PS4 and it worked just fine.

Had that problem when i rented John Carter, without update would not play. Think its maybe over use, some dvds work fine, noticed often just the slightist finger mark a dvd wont play unless disk is cleaned.