Has anyone here ever visited Czech Republic?

DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
edited May 2014 in General Discussion Posts: 15,693
Sorry if this is a duplicate thread, I looked everywhere for a travel thread or 'general questions' thread but couldn't find anything.

I am leaving France next week and will be living in Prague, Czech Republic. When I'll arrive there it will be my first time in that country, so I am looking for any useful info on the city and/or country :-)

This is the first time I'll be living far from my family so I am a bit scared, I've never taken such a life-changing decision like this before.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

You should be careful in that part of the world? Especially with the war in the Ukraine? Any Czechs can shed some light on this, but I'm sure it is dangerious place to be or travel.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    The Czech Republic certainly is not more dangerous than Austria, Germany or Switzerland! Don't get into a panic. Prague is a very lively and interesting town, and like all places with lots of tourists, you should beware of pickpockets and people on the street offering to change your Dollars or Pounds into Euros - they'll trick you and give you less money than the bank or the cash machine.
    Enjoy the heart of the continent!
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 7,505
    TakeASip wrote:
    You should be careful in that part of the world? Especially with the war in the Ukraine? Any Czechs can shed some light on this, but I'm sure it is dangerious place to be or travel.

Sorry, but that's nonsense! It's not like the entire Eastern Europe will erupt into a minefield only because of the tensions in Ukraine. You will be completely safe!

I have visited Prague on a few occasions, but I can't give you any concrete advice... Apart from telling you that its a lovely city, full of culture and history, great atmousphere and nightlife and not least brilliant, cheap beer! :D If you're not able to enjoy life there, you willl have to consider yourself very unlucky!

What are you going to do there btw? Study?
    The Russians would have to get through Poland to get to the Czech Republic. Think the whole bloody planet would be bricking it by that point!
    It is a beautifull old town, it has beautifull sights, be a real tourist and visit them and even watch that Glockenspiel on the square.
    Do catch an opera if your budget allows that and eat and drink outside of the Touristy centre and adapt to the local way the food is quite good.

Have fun and ignore fear mongering unless you fear the kidnapping by Boko Harem as Nigera is nearer to Prague than New York. ;)
    SaintMark wrote:
    It is a beautifull old town, it has beautifull sights, be a real tourist and visit them and even watch that Glockenspiel on the square.
    Do catch an opera if your budget allows that and eat and drink outside of the Touristy centre and adapt to the local way the food is quite good.

Have fun and ignore fear mongering unless you fear the kidnapping by Boko Harem as Nigera is nearer to Prague than New York. ;)

Love their work. "Whiter Shade Of Pale" is my favourite track... ;-)
    SaintMark wrote:

Love their work. "Whiter Shade Of Pale" is my favourite track... ;-)

That would be "women for sale" I believe.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2014 Posts: 15,693
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it! :)

I've looked at Prague using Google Maps, it looks like a very beautiful city!
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Prague is amazing DC! You'll have a blast there ;)

Beautiful scenery, beautiful girls, tasty beer.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade

No offense, but you would be surprised how useful a travel guide can be, especially if you want to stay in Prague for longer and have no clue whatsoever what awaits you.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited May 2014 Posts: 5,080
    Well, during World War Two, my Grandfather escaped from Prague during the Nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia to the UK. In fact, my second name had its origins in the Czechoslovakia. Ever since leaving Prague, my grandfather wanted to revisit ''Praha'', but never got the chance to. I am determined one day to visit Prague, and afterall, it is a beautiful city.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    zebrafish wrote:

No offense, but you would be surprised how useful a travel guide can be, especially if you want to stay in Prague for longer and have no clue whatsoever what awaits you.

I'll be staying at a friend's place for the start of my stay, and he'll show me around.
    Prague is a fantastic city, you will love it! When you get there on the MAIN tourist street. Do not buy any food or drink on it as it is majorly inflated prices. You literally just need to go to the next one and you will pay what the locals pay.

Let us all know how you get on? AND as this is a Bond forum? Their is a hotel called the Ambassador. Attached to it inside the lobby and down a staircase of marble is a Gentleman's club called Goldfingers! :D

Now seeing as my better half is sat next to me watching what i type? 8-X What occurs in the establishment is strictly need to know?!!! B-) =))
    Mrs @RogueAgent, you're not going to believe what your husband gets up to when you're not looking.... ;-)
    Mrs @RogueAgent, you're not going to believe what your husband gets up to when you're not looking.... ;-)

Don't stress it Willy! We are not married! ;)
    RogueAgent wrote:

:D
    RogueAgent wrote:

:D

Best go Willy, i sense a May Day versus Bond ( Moore style ) moment in the offing?!!! :-bd
    Sorry it seems I Have the wrong end of the stick with my opinions on Czech