Benedict Cumberbatch May Be Ian Fleming In (Yet Another) Biopic

edited April 2014 in Literary 007 Posts: 5,745
The Tracking Board published an article today stating that the production of a biopic centered around the life of Ian Fleming has approached rising star Benedict Cumberbatch to play the famed James Bond creator.

The project has been slowly moving through production, but is still without a director. It is based on the 2009 biography of Ian Fleming by Andrew Lycett.

From the article:
"The film specifically highlights Fleming’s experiences in naval intelligence during WWII, where he masterminded many top-secret operations. It does not appear to be an overly-ambitious attempt to document every part of his life, and that specifically is why a strong directing vision is required to accurately portray the narrative."

You can find the rest of the article here. Hat tip to the James Bond Dossier twitter account for the article.

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    So, after getting Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond, the two episodes of which I saw were fantastic, we get a second one? The same damn thing is happening with Steve Jobs, too.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Benedict would be a more suitable choice, so I'm all for that. I still dream of an Ian Fleming biopic that portrays his early years of service as a younger man until his last, the younger Ian played by a great look-alike talent (like Benedict) and the older Ian played by Geoffrey Rush. THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN. Rush would be a perfect old Ian.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Actually I think it's a great casting choice if it's confirmed!
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    Not bad casting, but whoever it is they still need to worry about doing the story justice. Only Charles Dance's portrayal in 'Goldeneye' has been accurate.
    Much better casting than Dominic Cooper IMO. Plus get Geoffrey Rush to play the older version and we're sorted for ideal casting.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    There have been two of these projects floating around for years. I'd love for this to happen.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I would see anything with Cumberbatch that's also Bond related. One of the best actors we have in my favourite franchise? I'm game.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'll watch it. Anything to fill in the void until Bond 24 comes out! :D
    Better casting but... Do we need another one so soon? And I fear it might be another cheap attempt to turn Ian Fleming into a pseudo-Bond.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Can't say i'm all that thrilled about this casting. Cooper was, I thought, one of the better aspects of Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond. Any problems I had with that mini-series weren't to do with Cooper's performance.
    I get the feeling I may be getting "Fleming" for my birthday in couple of weeks time? Guess I will have to wait and see? :-?
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I get the feeling I may be getting "Fleming" for my birthday in couple of weeks time? Guess I will have to wait and see? :-?

For my birthday 2 weeks ago, I got Ocean Royale aftershave and 007 Monopoly. :-bd
    The Sky Atlantic production entertained because it was a 'faction'.
    The worry I would have about an adaptation of the Lycett work is that the movie may be as dull as the book.
    What was really missing from the Lycett biography was a detailed description or indeed a meaningful insight into the writing of the Bond novels — surely the most interesting part of Fleming's life ?
    Perhaps that is because his thought process was just not documented or shared but in any event, it made for dull reading that may translate into dull viewing.