Movies that should be re made

Comments

I do not want any of Connery's Bond film to be remade, including the DAF. To me it is a sacrilege and I want to preserve my memory of seeing all those Connery Bond films the very first day of their release. I place OHMSS in that category.
    I don't want any official Bond films remade. I'd be especially upset if OHMSS was remade; it's a classic gem just the way it is. Remaking any of the golden age Bonds would definitely be the worst though (1962-1969).
    SaintMark wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Oh I'd LOVE a good Fantomas movie or tv series, faithful to the books. But that would not be a remake, rather an adaptation from another medium.

If you go back to 1913, the books were immortalised by Louis Feuillade for the cinema.

I know! But they never quite made it through the talkies and colour. Not faithfully anyway. Yes, there was that series by Chabrol, but even they made mistake, such as have a Juve far too old.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Moonraker deserves to be remade as a faithful version of Fleming's novel.
    I see that they are re doing Godzilla.
    That movie was so panned and shat on by the critics back in late nineties, and now they want to try it again?

Anyone here plan on checking that out?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I see that they are re doing Godzilla.
    That movie was so panned and shat on by the critics back in late nineties, and now they want to try it again?

Anyone here plan on checking that out?
    I'll wait till the DVD but with Bryan Cranston in it, it should be worth checking out.
    Heisenburg vs Godzilla...
    He turned down Running Man.....but appearantly Superman IV was good enough , go figure ;)

(it's prolly like with DAF , he did it for the $$$.....)
    Ludovico wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Oh I'd LOVE a good Fantomas movie or tv series, faithful to the books. But that would not be a remake, rather an adaptation from another medium.

If you go back to 1913, the books were immortalised by Louis Feuillade for the cinema.

I know! But they never quite made it through the talkies and colour. Not faithfully anyway. Yes, there was that series by Chabrol, but even they made mistake, such as have a Juve far too old.

Glad to read that you know your Fantomas and having enjoyed all that you have mentioned, I was really looking forward to Christophe Gans' Fantomas but it has dissapeared down production hell somehow.

I never was a great fan of Louis de Funes Fantomas movies and I do like the guys work.
    Gans' Fantômas was going to be rubbish: he mentioned a story set in the future, with Juve played by Jean Reno (hello typecasting and again, too old) and with Fantômas using holographic technology instead of disguises. He also seemed to change his mind about the movies that inspired him as blockbusters were released: one day he said it was going to be like Batman, the other day like Iron Man. I found the De Funes versions funny sometimes, by seriously lacking in everything else that made the original character great.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 7,653
    Ludovico wrote:
    Gans' Fantômas was going to be rubbish: he mentioned a story set in the future, with Juve played by Jean Reno (hello typecasting and again, too old) and with Fantômas using holographic technology instead of disguises. He also seemed to change his mind about the movies that inspired him as blockbusters were released: one day he said it was going to be like Batman, the other day like Iron Man. I found the De Funes versions funny sometimes, by seriously lacking in everything else that made the original character great.

I nver heard anything about Gans Fantomas movie besides having Vincent Cassel playing in it, his Brotherhood of the Wolved is one of my favorite actioners so I did have high expectations.
    But as you explain it we just might have dodged a bullit not worthy of the character.

I still would like a great cinema movie, preferable of French origin as I prefer a lot of their output over the US.

Ludovico wrote:

Didn't you discuss the Fantomas in the appearance of the Bond villains thread, @Ludovico?
    Another Movie would be worthy for a remake or new take is THE SHADOW.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Didn't you discuss the Fantomas in the appearance of the Bond villains thread, @Ludovico?

Yes I did.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Yes I did.

Thought as much. Could you tell me more about this series of films?
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Yes I did.

Well, first and foremost it was a series of novels, which was adapted in a black and white, silent movie serials by Louis Feuillade, then as a spoof in the 60s and finally in a TV miniseries by Claude Chabrol. Only the Chabrol and Feuillade adaptations were true to the source material, Feuillade especially. It tells the story of a master criminal, Fantômas, master of disguise and murderer, who always manages to survive in the nick of time, whatever the danger he may face. Most stories end with a cliffhanger, or with an open ending. His two nemesis are Juve, an inspector from the French Sûreté, also a master of disguise and Jérôme Fandor, who may or may not be the son of Fantômas. Fantômas impersonated for years Fandor's father and it is possible that his mother, who turned mad because of this duplicity, had her child from Fantômas himself. Fantômas has a recurring mistress, Lady Beltham, who is a good woman otherwise in love with a monster she is trying to reform. She fell in love with him when Fantômas was assuming the identity of Gurn, a soldier working for her husband Lord Beltham, whom he killed.

Fantômas's crimes go from the banal breaking and entering to the far-fetched and circumlocuted. He can impersonate a prince, a doctor, he can use a snake to kill his victims, he can use explosives, sulfuric acid, etc. It is often implausible, it is always entertaining.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Yes I did.

Well, first and foremost it was a series of novels, which was adapted in a black and white, silent movie serials by Louis Feuillade, then as a spoof in the 60s and finally in a TV miniseries by Claude Chabrol. Only the Chabrol and Feuillade adaptations were true to the source material, Feuillade especially. It tells the story of a master criminal, Fantômas, master of disguise and murderer, who always manages to survive in the nick of time, whatever the danger he may face. Most stories end with a cliffhanger, or with an open ending. His two nemesis are Juve, an inspector from the French Sûreté, also a master of disguise and Jérôme Fandor, who may or may not be the son of Fantômas. Fantômas impersonated for years Fandor's father and it is possible that his mother, who turned mad because of this duplicity, had her child from Fantômas himself. Fantômas has a recurring mistress, Lady Beltham, who is a good woman otherwise in love with a monster she is trying to reform. She fell in love with him when Fantômas was assuming the identity of Gurn, a soldier working for her husband Lord Beltham, whom he killed.

Fantômas's crimes go from the banal breaking and entering to the far-fetched and circumlocuted. He can impersonate a prince, a doctor, he can use a snake to kill his victims, he can use explosives, sulfuric acid, etc. It is often implausible, it is always entertaining.

Thanks for that further information @Ludovico - you like the esoteric, like myself. Are there any good websites dedicated to the character and are the series available on DVD etc.? It sounds like I may have to invest!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I hated The Shining by Stanley Kubrick starring Jack Nicholson. That film stands as the poster child of how Hollywood fraks up Stephen KIng.
    Shelly (can't recall her last name ) was not right for the part of Wendy and Scatman Crothers was not good enought to be Hallorran. Also why kill him off? In the book he saved the day.

Carrie (1976) directed by Brian DePalma, yes, that Brian DePalma who brought us sexy thrillers and Scarface in the 1980's. Carrie was not one of his better films. I have not seen the remake that recently came out. How as it? Better I presume...

@OHMSS69, it is well known that fans of the books commonly find the film versions of The Shining and Carrie lacking. It is also well known that both De Palma and Kubrick considered the books not so good. De Palma expressed more than once his frustrations of having to deal with material so "poorly written" (I don't remember his exact words) whereas Kubrick never even intended to stay close to the source material. But then Kubrick always had a very personal way of doing things.

However, the success of De Palma's Carrie actually allowed King's career to blossom and Kubrick's The Shining, being a fan favourite in horror circles, seems to keep inspiring horror fans to check out the novel.

Also, King too has talked about Kubrick's The Shining as being a terrible job. But King himself has written a 6 hour teleplay based on The Shining, starring Steven Webber and Rebecca De Mornay. I've seen it and trust me, it's not good. Perhaps the book cannot be faithfully translated onto film; perhaps it can only shine on film when severely reworked.

I haven't read The Shining so each time I watch Kubrick's film, I have nothing to compare it to. And I have loved this film since I first saw it at age 14, many years before I turned into a big Kubrick fanatic. It is a good horror film, but then I can't criticize the casting or the lack of "shining" stuff because I am not aware of the literary details.

I do, however, understand where you come from. I had the same reactions to Troy. Having read Homer's and Virgil's work, I couldn't believe all the mistakes they permitted themselves in this film. ;-)

As for the Carrie remake, it's more or less a modern version of the De Palma film. I like it because it stars Chloe Moretz, whom I love in everything she does. But if you didn't care for the original film, it's very unlikely that you'll enjoy the remake.

King's work has more often than not been adapted into disappointing films. Amongst the very few successful adaptations, I personally count Carrie and The Shining. I guess King's books aren't necessarily as easily adaptable for film as some ambitious filmmakers seem to think. ;-)
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Yes I did.

Thanks for that further information @Ludovico - you like the esoteric, like myself. Are there any good websites dedicated to the character and are the series available on DVD etc.? It sounds like I may have to invest!

http://www.fantomas-lives.com/

SaintMark wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Yes I did.

http://www.fantomas-lives.com/

Thanks for that link, @SaintMark.
    I was about to give the same link. You can find the Feuillade adaptation in DVDs. The spoof with de Funes too. The books and other adaptations are difficult to find.
    Ludovico wrote:
    I was about to give the same link. You can find the Feuillade adaptation in DVDs. The spoof with de Funes too. The books and other adaptations are difficult to find.

I take it that they are available on Amazon?
    Yes, last time I checked, at least the Feuillade ones.
    Ludovico wrote:

Highly recommended? I'll be investing then. I assume they re in English, not French. Bit rusty on that!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Time to remake Metropolis. Brilliant film, and some would see it as sacrilege, but it has been 87 years and parts of the original cut have sadly been lost forever.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Highly recommended? I'll be investing then. I assume they re in English, not French. Bit rusty on that!

Well, they are silent movies...
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Oh, even the TV series?
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Oh, even the TV series?

The Feuillade movies yes, the Chabrol TV series is in French and I don't think you can find it outside France. The de Funès movies are pure James Bond parodies than Fantômas stories and they are also in French.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 2,341
    Time to remake Metropolis. Brilliant film, and some would see it as sacrilege, but it has been 87 years and parts of the original cut have sadly been lost forever.

Good idea. It is time to redo some of the old silent classics.

Think they could redo The Spoilers ? This film was done like five times between 1914 and 1956
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited April 2014 Posts: 45,489
    OHMSS69 wrote:

Good idea. It is time to redo some of the old silent classics.

Think they could redo The Spoilers ? This film was done like five times between 1914 and 1956

Never seen The Spoilers myself (Birdleson probably has) , but several old weterns have been remade in the later years, so why not? If it was done five times, there must be something to the story.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Oh, even the TV series?

The Feuillade movies yes, the Chabrol TV series is in French and I don't think you can find it outside France. The de Funès movies are pure James Bond parodies than Fantômas stories and they are also in French.

And available in Germany, which is where I got my Chabrol series from from.

And the Feuillade movies are available through Amazon and such

As for the books, the first two Fantomas and the silent executioner have been released in the '90's and are easy to find, Fantomas daughter has been more recently released and should be the easiest to find.
    I do have a few more collected slowly and are more of the early English releases from the beginning of last century, they are kinda expensive by now.