30 years ago today......... Indiana Jones And The Raiders Of The Lost Ark

2»

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited June 2011 Posts: 9,117

He told my Sister to pick and she picked The Nights The Lights Went Out In Georgia with Mark Hamill.

Oh the whimsical nature of celebrity. Harrison goes on to be a legend while poor old Mark barely makes another appearance after Jedi (although credit where its due I thought he was good as the joker in the last Batman game). Imagine how much of a dud this film must have been when they finally did get the print the week after but everyone had seen the reviews of Raiders and it played to empty theatres.

Raiders is a legendary film, and I'd have to admit that its better than probably about 90% of Bond films. Objectively I'd have to say theres only OHMSS and FRWL that are definitely better and then only by a whisker. TLD and CR run it reasonably close but thats from someone with a definite bias towards Bond.

That said even DAD struggled to plumb the depths of Crystal Skull so averaging it out across both series Bond takes it, but not by a lot and thats mostly down to the brilliance of Raiders.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    I didn't like the entire alien and spaceship thing theme for IJ4!! They should have stuck with a more earthly artifact!!
    My #1 favorite film of all time. Go Raiders!
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    edited June 2011 Posts: 823
    I just watched this on DVD. First time I seen it on a DVD and one of my first screening of it since the 90s.

I have 2 questions:

when Indy was hanging on the grill of the truck, why didn't the Nazi officer in the car ahead of the truck take out his Luger and just shoot him?

when the Ark was opened and those Nazis were killed, were they the only Nazis on the island or were there more?

if there were more, did they get killed by the powers of the Ark?

Just wondering how Indy and Marion could had gotten off an island full of Nazis!!

p.s. Can you imagine Tom Selleck as Indiana Jones? He was originally cast for the movie but he couldn't get away from Magnum P.I.

Also, Lucas told Spielberg Harrison is Han Solo, let's keep him as Solo - he can't be Indy!