30 years ago today......... Indiana Jones And The Raiders Of The Lost Ark

DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
edited June 2011 in General Movies & TV Posts: 15,690
Yes - On June 12, 1981, the world saw the release of a cult classic : Raiders of the Lost Ark !!

Incredible film, will watch it tonight !!

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Raiders is arguably one of the most essential adventure / action films ever made and it's only correct that its anniversary is celebrated here on this Bond forum. After all, one can hardly deny that Raiders took from Bond but chewed it into something of its own. In a way, we as Bond fans can be proud that many of the core elements in our beloved franchise were adopted for the world of Indiana Jones.

30 years ago, Lucas, Spielberg, Ford, Williams and many more created art. A toast!
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    edited June 2011 Posts: 823

I was 16, we went to dinner (Dad, Mom, My Brother, My Sister) and the restaurant was in the same shopping center as a 4 screen theater.

Afterward, Dad suggested we go next door to see a movie.

He told my Sister to pick and she picked The Nights The Lights Went Out In Georgia with Mark Hamill.

Well, just our luck, the box office cashier said the print didn't come in.

I was standing outside looking at the movie posters and a poster caught my eye:

It had that now familiar orange Raiders of the Lost Ark lettering logo and on top of the poster it said from Spielberg and Lucas:

No photos from the movie, no picture of Indiana Jones!!

No clues whatsoever about the content of the movie!!

Then a banner sign over it that read: Sneak Preview tonight at 8pm!

I didn't know what the movie was about; I never heard of it but I knew the name Spielberg and Lucas from Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Close Encounters of the Same Kind.

So I told my parents: let's go see this!

Strange we were able to get tickets; there was no line outside!

We went in, saw the movie in a 1/2 filled auditorium.

When the movie was over, Dad said that was the best movie he ever seen.

We all enjoyed it and my sister, being 9 at the time thought Harrison was cute - LOL!

Dad kept asking me: How did you know that was going to be a good movie?

I told him, I didn't know, I just saw the name Spielberg and Lucas.

Dad subscribed to Newsweek Magazine then and the issue that he received the following week was this:

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/4/6/1/8/2/0/webimg/431346340_tp.jpg

the article on the inside was titled Best Movie of the Year!!

p.s. to this day, I still haven't seen The Nights The Lights Went Out In Georgia. I wonder if it's even on DVD!!

Great story! I spent many an hour as a kid, trying to be Indiana Jones....actualy, I`m still trying sometimes!
    What a poster this film had. It held so much mystery. I loved those old 80`s movie posters, the way they used drawings or paintings....not photos!
    Dum-dum-du mm-da-da-da-dum-dum-dum-da-da-da-da-da-daaaa-dum etc.
    I watched a commentary one time for The Last Crusade, I think, and either George Lucas or Steven Spielberg said that when they first met to discuss making a movie about an action hero, they said they'd like to do an archeaologist who was pretty much just like James Bond! Then, after I had seen that, every time I watch an Indiana Jones movie, I can really tell how they used Bond as an influence.
    hahaha great story @j7wild
    hahaha
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Great idea, for a game, guess the tune!

Maybe I should try the James Bond theme.

Da - da - da - daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! ;)

What a great film though, 30 years on. Hopefully later this month MI6 will celebrate the 30 years since For Your Eyes Only was first released on the 24th June.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Happy 30th Anniversary to one of the greatest action/adventure films of all time! :)
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Yup, happy 30th, Raiders - for better or worse, (American) cinema would never be the same again after Indiana's first escapade.

"Sorry, mate, but you deserved that - claiming Bond 23 is gonna be called The Undertaker's Wind just ain't funny..."

And, do excuse me, but this is the perfect opportunity for me to plug shamelessly one of the latest posts on my blog, which is a tribute to the making of Raiders for its esteemed milestone...

http://georgesjournal.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/indy-at-30-hollywoods-holy-grail-the-making-of-raiders-of-the-lost-ark/

Plus, on an even more personal note, I watched the flick itself today and in due course will be reviewing it, along with all three of its sequels, on my blog - so watch this space and all that... ;)
    what means the undertaker's wind? and yeah not only american cinema but worldwide cinema wouldnt be same without indiana jones
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    not only american cinema but worldwide cinema wouldnt be same without indiana jones
    That's why I put 'American' in brackets. ;)
    what means the undertaker's wind?
    Check out the paragraph under 'Live And Let Die'...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_James_Bond_title_references

Plus, doesn't 'The Undertaker's Wind' make you think of something else - like, specifically, a particular bodily function...? :p
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended

Plus, on an even more personal note, I watched the flick itself today and in due course will be reviewing it, along with all three of its sequels, on my blog - so watch this space and all that... ;)
    That scene is one of the best in cinematic history!

I remember everyone in the audience applauded!

I save you the trouble of reviewing the 3 sequels!

Temple of Doom - Stunk
    Last Crusade - Okay in some parts, bad in others, 4/5
    Crystal Skull - Stunk especially after waiting almost 20 years for it

the 5th one better be better than any of the 3 sequels AND they better not let Shia take over the title role!

A great update on the serials of the '40's and a prove that the best hero's live in their own times and not precee in our times.
    Stone-cold classic, still hasn't been topped by any other action adventure film since. Shame about the thread title though. :-(

Anyway, shameless plug of my own small tribute to Raiders:

http://bondandbeyond.forumotion.com/t281p30-indiana-jones-and-the-last-lost-crystal-thread-of-doom

And apparently a fourth sequel isn't far off, according to Ford and LaBoeuf recently.

@Lazenby: Yeah, I read a somewhat rough script idea somewhere online about what George Lucas would like to do for the next Indiana Jones movie. It was something about Indy searching for the cross that Jesus Christ was crucified on. Appearantly, the Chinese want it for its supposed "power", and Indy and his British sidekick pal must recover it before the Chinese get their hands on it. Now before this gets out and people begin to rave, it's extremely loose, and I highly doubt it's even true, because this same person supposedly has information of a new Star Wars movie idea, which, as we all know, Star Wars is finished. However, this would be a great idea!
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    Star Wars is not finished! Georgie said in 1977 he was making 9! A promise is a promise, Georgie!!
    Hahaha! If that were true. I've been a Star Wars fan for as long as I can remember. When I was 3 or 4, my dad bought me The Phantom Menaceon VHS, since it had just come out, and I watched that tape so much that it broke and I had to get a new one! Man, good times being a Star Wars fanatic. My friend and I actually watched The Empire Strikes Back a few days ago, and I forgot how good it is!
    Raiders is one of the best films ever made.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Lazenby. !! :-bd
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited June 2011 Posts: 1,986
    Lazenby. !! :-bd
    Well well well... Look who woke up from hibernation!
    Pro Lazenby and anti Brosnan comments always welcome mate ;)

I wasn't on this earth in 1981 however that hasn't stopped the legacy of Indiana jones from touching me. The rousing score from JW has the same effect now that it must have done 30 years ago.

Last year I was on a trip to las Vegas which saw me flying into the desert and over the gran canyon. As the helicopter approached the mouth of the gorge, the Indy theme started playing full blast over the speakers. The next few minutes can only be described as epic. The sight of a grand, historical landmark accompanied by an epic sweeping score. The world just seemed perfect for those few minutes. John Williams is one of the few truly timeless musicians alongside Bernard Herman and John Barry.

Spielberg, Lucas, Ford, Williams and co I salute you :)

And apparently a fourth sequel isn't far off, according to Ford and LaBoeuf recently.
    First of all, great to see you!

Second, I'm not sure if I'd even want a fifth film. It's been three years and nothing, so I still doubt we'll get another one. Ford will be grilled about it come Cowboys & Aliens time, mind.

In a couple of months we may find out if it'll really happen or not.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    It's pretty evident Indy 5 is happening - no way Ford and Spielberg will want to end the series after the critics failure that was Crystal Skull. They'll want Indy to go out on a high.
    It's pretty evident Indy 5 is happening - no way Ford and Spielberg will want to end the series after the critics failure that was Crystal Skull. They'll want Indy to go out on a high.
    But can we really believe it will be the last one? Then they'll just do a sixth...
    Harrison Ford's physical shape will start to diminish sooner or later. He'll be 70 at the earliest for Indy 5... No way he will be in shape for a 6th when he'll be 75/76.
    Harrison Ford's physical shape will start to diminish sooner or later. He'll be 70 at the earliest for Indy 5... No way he will be in shape for a 6th when he'll be 75/76.
    In that case, this one better be written as the end of the series. Well, fingers crossed for that anyway.
    I still hope that, somehow, they'll convince Connery to film a few scenes...
    No Indy 5! It already went full circle with Indy marrying Marion. Plus Ford will be too old. I say that as sum1 who thinks the 4th is overbashed.
    I still hope that, somehow, they'll convince Connery to film a few scenes...
    His character was revealed to have died in the last film.

Anyway, Connery's even retired from public appearances, so I doubt we'll see him again. :-(
    BAIN123 said:
    I say that as sum1 who thinks the 4th is overbashed.

Agreed! I went to see Kingdom of the Crystal Skull with my friend when it came out in theaters, and I absolutely loved it! I still find it to be extremely enjoyable! My only complaint is the outlandish CGI spacecraft ending. I think George Lucas was trying to throw in a little Star Wars there.