James Bond and Canada?

edited March 2014 in General Discussion Posts: 654
I´m currently writng an essay on 007´s relation to Canada. I was wondering if you maybe could help me out. The only thing I got is that Wiseman was Canadian... :-/ Any suggestions?

Comments

Bond was going to be posted to station C Canada in TB in the hunt for the nuclear missiles before he was changed to Nassau.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2015 Posts: 17,804
    The Boeing 747 that crashed in Moonraker did so over the Yukon in Canada, according to Q who showed the Top Secret footage of the wreck of the plane with no trace of the Moonraker space shuttle that it was carrying piggyback.

Ian Fleming's short story 'For Your Eyes Only' is partly set in Ottawa, Canada and he has assistance from the Mounties.

Ian Fleming's novel The Spy Who Loved Me (1962) is set in the Adirondacks in Upstate New York, which is near to Canada. The first person narrator and heroine of the story is the French-Canadian girl Vivienne Michel. The Mounties also help him in his mission against the SPECTRE agent Bond tracks down in Canada that is related to Vivienne Michel in the 'Bedtime Story' chapter.

That's all that comes to mind for now.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I can only think of in From Russia With Love, in which Bond is theorising what will happen to Tania once she gets to England. One of his theory's is that once her questioning is over, she will have a monthly income of 1000 pounds and be sent to Canada for protection.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Don't forget that Harry Saltzman was of course a Canadian .
    Dragonpol wrote:
    The Boeing 747 that crashed in Moonraker did so over the Yukon in Canada, according to Q who showed the Top Secret footage of the wreck of the plane with no trace of the Moonraker space shuttle that it was carrying piggyback.

Ian Fleming's short story 'For Your Eyes Only' is partly set in Ottawa, Canada and he hs assistance from the Mounties.

Ian Fleming's novel The Spy Who Loved Me (1962) is set in the Adirondacks in Upstate New York, which is near to Canada. The first person narrator and heroine of the story is the French-Canadian girl Vivienne Michel.

In FYEO also Bond stops in Montreal I believe.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Ian Fleming's short story 'For Your Eyes Only' is partly set in Ottawa, Canada and he hs assistance from the Mounties.

Ian Fleming's novel The Spy Who Loved Me (1962) is set in the Adirondacks in Upstate New York, which is near to Canada. The first person narrator and heroine of the story is the French-Canadian girl Vivienne Michel.

In FYEO also Bond stops in Montreal I believe.

Yes, could be. I've not read it for some years.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Lois Maxwell was Canadian.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Yusef's new potential victim at the end of QOS is a Canadian working for their intelligence service.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,929
    During the QOS Tosca scene, Quantum reference Canada:

"Anything further from Canadian intelligence?"

and

"Perhaps we should shift our focus to the Canadian."

Corrine (Stana Katic) from the end of QOS is Canadian intelligence:

You're Canadian? You work in Canadian intelligence? It's all right. I know you do. And knowing this man. I'd guess you have access... to some very sensitive material... which you're gonna be forced to give up. His life will be threatened, and because you love him, you won't hesitate.

and

Corrine, I suggest you leave now. You contact your people, and you tell them to check their seals. They have a leak. Do it now, please. This man and I have some unfinished business.

This link may be of help:

http://jamesbond.wikia.com/wiki/Corinne_Veneau_(Stana_Katic)

Good luck with the essay.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Lycka till med uppsatsen @fromswedenwithlove, tur det finns många experter här ;)
  • Lycka till med uppsatsen @fromswedenwithlove, tur det finns många experter här ;)

Wow, blev riktigt överaskad där! Ja, det är tur.
    :P
  • Thank you everbody! You´ve been a great help! I usually know these things but I could´nt come up with anything this time...
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    A late addition to this thread. Kronsteen's opponent in the live game of chess is representing Canada.
  • QBranch wrote:
    During the QOS Tosca scene, Quantum reference Canada:

"Anything further from Canadian intelligence?"

and

"Perhaps we should shift our focus to the Canadian."

Corrine (Stana Katic) from the end of QOS is Canadian intelligence:

You're Canadian? You work in Canadian intelligence? It's all right. I know you do. And knowing this man. I'd guess you have access... to some very sensitive material... which you're gonna be forced to give up. His life will be threatened, and because you love him, you won't hesitate.

and

Corrine, I suggest you leave now. You contact your people, and you tell them to check their seals. They have a leak. Do it now, please. This man and I have some unfinished business.

This link may be of help:

http://jamesbond.wikia.com/wiki/Corinne_Veneau_(Stana_Katic)

Good luck with the essay.

This too. Also, here's aome obscure and perhaps unrelated Canada info but the Scottish Highlands scene where Bond and M solemnly look at Skyfall reminds me a lot of Nova Scotia and many parts of Brotish Columbia. That scene didn't have too much dialogue but the Canadian-style scenery was breathtaking enough to give reason as to why Bond should film in Canada for a future film.
  • Canada?

I think Canada is a bit "low rent" for Bond to go there.... Jason Bourne maybe, but not Bond.

• edited April 2014 Posts: 1,639

These always reminds me of Canada , lol :D
    Canada?

I think Canada is a bit "low rent" for Bond to go there.... Jason Bourne maybe, but not Bond.

And yet he went in the short stories.
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    Dragonpol wrote:

Correct - Frelighsburg on the Canadian border.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 4,622
    There was a thread somewhere at one time, where we detailed all the Canadian connections in the films and there were plenty,most rather trivial but they are there. Many have been detailed above. Stana Katic herself btw is Canadian, which might have been the impetus for casting her as a Canadian agent.

Goldfinger I think is the most Canadian film. You have three Canadian actors in Maxwell, Cec Linder as Leiter, and Austin Willis as Goldfinger's Miami card-playing pigeon, not to mention co-producer Saltzman.
    Willis was very well known on Canadian TV at the time. Linder was Canadian born, but based in England, where he landed a lot of American roles, due to his very generic sounding North American accent, which is what many Canadians have including myself.
    There is also the reference at the hoods convention, to smuggling materials over the Canadian border. And during Bond's flight to America, I think there is also an onboard reference to being over Newfoundland or something to that effect.
    Book wise, Fleming spent a lot of time in Toronto during the war. He spent much time at the secret commando training facility, Camp X in Oshawa, just east of Toronto.
    Fleming draws on this experience in TSWLM, in which he has Bond battle Spectre agents in Toronto, before he motors south for his rendezvous with Viv, Sluggsy and Horror at the Sleepy Pines Motor Inn, and of course in the same book, the first half is taken up with the story of our French Canadian heroine, Vivienne Michel.

And as mentioned, Fleming's Bond in FYEO, spends time in both Montreal and Ottawa, before he heads stateside for his forest assault on the killers of the Havelocks.
    Thinking about it, it would be about time Bond showed up in Canada. And if they ever use Vivienne, they could cast a Quebec actress as a Bond girl. We have a great number of beautiful actresses.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Thinking about it, it would be about time Bond showed up in Canada. And if they ever use Vivienne, they could cast a Quebec actress as a Bond girl. We have a great number of beautiful actresses.
    No question about that, and not only actresses, there's the French Canadian girls period.....Montreal's Crescent Street nightlife is an experience every young guy should indulge and even not so young guys.

Crescent Street I always found too much Eurotrash for my taste.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 17,804
    Ludovico wrote:

I'd still like to see TSWLM filmed in some sort of manner, regardless of Fleming's stipulation against its being filmed.
    Have Vivienne Michel as a Bond girl and keep some of her background. TSWLM is actually a great pulp crime novel, simple and efficient, the problem is that it is atypical as a Bond novel and would not fit the formula of the movies.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Ludovico wrote:
    Crescent Street I always found too much Eurotrash for my taste.
    But its that element that provides a unique appeal to those venturing in from big American style burbs like Toronto. Plus the bars stay open till 3am and the street stays alive virtually all night. Nothing like that here in Hogtown. It's a change from downtown T.O. Crescent Street as far as I can tell from several visits over the years is happening 7 nights a week.

I guess I enjoy more the small bars from the Plateau Mont-Royal or Rosemont. They are actors's hand out too.
    Ludovico wrote:
    I guess I enjoy more the small bars from the Plateau Mont-Royal or Rosemont. They are actors's hand out too.
    Your point is well taken about Crescent street, but when you are coming from a place like Hogtown, it is that very different Eurotrash element that brings the appeal. If I lived in Montreal, I probably wouldn't be half as impressed.
    Montreal, with its own distinct look and cultural vibe, has always provided a nice escape from southern Ontario, without having to cross a border.

• I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact that Ian Fleming himself stated "James Bond is a highly romanticized version of a true spy. The real thing is ... William Stephenson." Codenamed "Intrepid" William Stephenson was a "Canadian soldier, airman, businessman, inventor, spymaster." He coordinated and commanded all clandestine operations conducted by the U.S. Canada and Britain during WWII. He was integral in the creation of the CIA as well as the creation of the "Five Eyes" programme. He is considered to be one of the greatest spies in history. Ian claimed to have been trained by Stephenson at "Camp X' in Ontario. Roald Dahl was another famous protege of Stephenson's. Therefore James Bond is in fact a Canadian to begin with. That's a pretty solid connection I would say. (I'm assuming your paper has been completed haha)