The Official "Having a Bad Day" Thread

edited March 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 39
Once again, with an interest in restoring the time honored traditions and institutions of the classic MI6 forum I am bringing back another often used thread; here is where you should post if you've had a rough time lately.

The intent is for you to vent if need be and possibly get advice or words of encouragement from your fellow MI6 posters. This is not a thread regarding the transition to the new site, so please try to keep it focused on other issues. In the interests of building a sense of community, and in order to provide the yang to the proverbial yin of the "Having a Good Day" thread, I now present to you the new official "Having a Bad Day" thread.

Comments

• CISCIS Suspended
    Honestly I'm not all that discouraged about the forum change. I'd only signed onto the old forum in 2010, so I'm not entitled to being as miffed as some others might be about this abrupt change.

The one complaint I do have, however, is the inability to skip to the very last post in a thread when there is more than 1 page of replies. You have to click on the thread, scroll to the bottom, and click on the last page, and scroll to the bottom of THAT page to see any new posts.
  • nick_007nick_007 Ville Marie
    Take a look here, CIS and you will see your concerns have been shared and the Admins are working on it. If you have any other concerns please voice them in there.
  • CISCIS Suspended
    edited March 2011 Posts: 52
    @nick_007 Thanks much, it's great to know it's being worked on. It is my only real pet peeve with the new site.

Also, do you know if they're working on maybe getting hyperlinks placed on this "Post Comment" section to allow for easier hyperlinking, picture-posting and italicizing/bolding?
  • nick_007nick_007 Ville Marie
    @CIS That's actually out of my hands so I don't know. For now I can advise you to brush up on your HTML and you won't have any issues in the meantime.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    It's been three years since we lost our twin girls. And though the pain is gone, it never really leaves you. Though we have been blessed with a beautiful little girl to ease some of that pain.
    Today is always going to be a sad one, and one that we never look forward to.
    We went to the cemetery to place some flowers, and mini and micro benny always let a balloon each go.
    Nice to have family and friends for support. That's about it really. Not one of my better days.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Benny, the balloon release idea is very moving.

I am thinking about you, as is Mrs Nac and the Nac family.

I wish some people could handle their own 'loss' with as much dignity as you handle your real loss. You're a credit to this community.
    I was about to post something about a painful tooth, and how hard it is to get an appointment with a dentist, but after reading Benny's post, I don't feel like it. Everything pales in comparison to that. I will wait a while before sharing my tale of woe.
    Haha Gerard, you must tell your story. I wasn't trying to belittle anyone else's stories by comparing them to Benny.

A painful tooth is worthy of a 'bad day' entry ;-)
  • As always, I am in awe of your stoicism Mr Benny.

You are a credit to your family sir, to whom you must be a source of great strength at this, the hardest of times.

I was going to bitch about the trivial things in my day, but your words have brought it all back into perspective like a slap to the face.

The thoughts of clan McPreacher are with you sir.....
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I really do appreciate the kind words folks.
    Don't let my bad day stop any of you from posting your own. It's no different.
    @Gerard I too have recently suffered from a painful tooth. I'm just a bit scared of going to see a dentist. :">
    And of course bitch about the bad things in your day @The_Preacher711 , this is the place to let it out, and often get advice or helpful comments.
  • Benny- no need for me to rant now mate; you genuinely caused me to take a look at the situation, take a deep breath and dismiss the stupidity of it all.... so, er, thanks!

Chalk it up as a good deed for the day..... I was ready to go and have a right 2 & 8 with someone.... now I'm a river of calm....
    @The_Preacher711

That's you, that is ;-)
  • Ha Ha!!! Very good Mr Nac, sir!
    I received first pay check today. Very bad. I stay in with can of beans and eggs.
    Quoting Grant: I received first pay check today. Very bad. I stay in with can of beans and eggs

@Grant, paycheck 1 will always be the worst one. It can only get better ;-)
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Quoting NicNac: Benny, the balloon release idea is very moving.

I am thinking about you, as is Mrs Nac and the Nac family.

I wish some people could handle their own 'loss' with as much dignity as you handle your real loss. You're a credit to this community.
    Same for me benny. I will be thinking about you and your loss. You've been through a difficult situation and came out of it strong. Nevertheless, I can't fathom how hard it was. Here's to you benny, Misses benny, little benny, and littlest benny.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 139
    A difficult day for me each year.....

At this time back in 2004, 2 of my colleagues were working for the British Foreign Office in Iraq.

Even though they were in a so called 'safe zone', their convoy was attacked from the roadside and their two cars were destroyed more or less instantly.

My thoughts are with the friends I lost that day and those they left behind.

Edit: at the request of some of those involved, I've removed some personal details..
    Quoting The_Preacher711: My thoughts are with the friends I lost that day and those they left behind.
    Here here Preacher. Can't imagine what something like that would be like.
  • Cheers mate.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I thought I'd revive this very old thread because I need something off my chest. Today I went to a chemistry symposium. Six highly educated college professors were invited to speak. And despite their immense knowledge, they were worse speakers than my cat would have been. Here's why:

1: "Uh"

Seriously, how come people can't talk without having each sentence interrupted two to three times with an "uh"? It's Bieber level annoying. Professionals don't "uh".

2: Finish a sentence!

Finish the bloody sentence, dude! Have . A . Point! If you start a sentence, but you - because you're so busy thinking about the words you - since people are looking at you and you experience the stress - I mean, even if this the five hundredth time you have done this and I know what it's like because I'm a teacher - well actually I'm an engineer and...

3: Don't read what's on the page

Half of those professors literally read what was typed in their powerpoint presentations. One of those guys actually literally read from his iPad! Dude gets paid ... to read. Not to talk, not to tell. To READ OUT LOUD. A 7 year old can do that too.

4: What's on the ceiling?

The last speak didn't make eye contact - not even once! Come on! Basic rules of a presentation: look us in the eyes. Instead, a professor who's been in the business for decades kept his eyes locked on the ceiling while talking over our heads. I found that very irritating.

Perhaps it's because talking to an audience is what I do for a living that I pay so much attention to these things but I nevertheless couldn't help but get progressively more frustrated over these things.
  • LordBrettSinclairLordBrettSinclair Greensleeves
    Gone through bad divorce this year. Technically it was not special but emotionally very difficult. I surprised my wife in bed with her work colleague.
    That is bad enough, but the images of it I can not get out my head.
    Later she told me I was boring in bed. I am so humiliated.

Life goes on. I concentrate on my job which I love very much. I have great friends who support me.

And there is always Sir Roger Moore who can make me feel better!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Gone through bad divorce this year. Technically it was not special but emotionally very difficult. I surprised my wife in bed with her work colleague.
    That is bad enough, but the images of it I can not get out my head.
    Later she told me I was boring in bed. I am so humiliated.

Life goes on. I concentrate on my job which I love very much. I have great friends who support me.

And there is always Sir Roger Moore who can make me feel better!

@LordBrettSinclair I'm reminded of a deleted scene from FYEO (5:17 in this video). The wise words of Roger Moore in this scene apply well to your ex and her colleague;
  • LordBrettSinclairLordBrettSinclair Greensleeves
    that made me laugh hard, thank you @BMW_with_missiles !
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    that made me laugh hard, thank you @BMW_with_missiles !

You're welcome!