It Seems There Are More QoS Appreciators Than Thought Before

Comments

• RC7RC7
    edited February 2014 Posts: 10,512
    Shit happens. We could spend an eternity discussing the whys and wherefores for every entry, but the bottom line is, once that film is finished, it's finished, and it will be judged.
  • In the information age, the deleted ending of QoS still exists for many of ua whether we favorite the movie or not.
  • RC7RC7
    In the information age, the deleted ending of QoS still exists for many of ua whether we favorite the movie or not.

I'm not sure I get your meaning?
  • I mean that back in the day, the finished product was all we would see. But these days with the internet providing quick information on production versus waiting for a monthly or weekly magazine, and also having most DVD's/Blu Rays provide extra production features and deleted scenes, it's more difficult for some of us to judge a movie solely based on a theatrical version.

Aside from that, people are also more aware of the ways advertising and marketing works and we see the media showing the Skyfall train even though most people around the world probably won't get the chance to visit it.
  • RC7RC7
    I mean that back in the day, the finished product was all we would see. But these days with the internet providing quick information on production versus waiting for a monthly or weekly magazine, and also having most DVD's/Blu Rays provide extra production features and deleted scenes, it's more difficult for some of us to judge a movie solely based on a theatrical version.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. You judge a movie on the finished product. Deleted scenes, creative differences, technical hitches, restrictive production periods are all utterly irrelevant. I certainly wouldn't go down that route if you want to defend QoS.
    I agree I judge a movie on its merits as I see it. If we get another product like a directors cut then I will judge that.

Quantum of Bourne is in my judgement a failed opportunity in the franchise, but the result of a director who is not at ease in the genre. But the director bears the responsibility for the end product........ his other movies are more statisfying.
  • I guess what we got as the final product of QoS was actually the director's cut. Marc Forster mentioned that it was his own decision to remove the Mr. White scene at the end. Guy Haines, Guy Haines...where could he be?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Marc Forster mentioned that it was his own decision to remove the Mr. White scene at the end.
    I blame him for that way more than for the hyperkinetic editing.
  • At least by now having the Mr. White scene included in QoS, we got a more character-driven follow up with his scene in SP.

Underrated movie. Lots of flaws but more good than bad.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Still love this movie. Sure the editing is overly kinetic. I don't care.
    It is sitting happily at #5 in my rankings at present.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Same here.
    Remington wrote: »

Same here.

Great minds and all that ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Top 3 or 4 for me, I've loved it since day one.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Top 3 or 4 for me, I've loved it since day one.

Definitely the Bond film I've enjoyed most in the cinema since the Dalton era.
  • To everyone involved in QoS production: Feel the Love we still have for that film.....please take a hint and give this movie a good sequel it deserves:)
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    I’m a huge Quantum fan. I find it very Flemingesque- like an early Bond novel. No world ending disaster, but a (reasonably) small scale problem to deal with (control of a countries water supply), which is an ecological themed story in line with the threats we face today. Fleming wrote about Diamond smuggling, Gold smuggling etc which were the small scale threats of his time.

Plus Daniel Craig is amazing in this film and had the best clothes of the era.

The contrast between the frenetic action sequences and the quieter moments is deliberate. (Not that I want my actuon this way all the time)

To everyone involved in QoS production: Feel the Love we still have for that film.....please take a hint and give this movie a good sequel it deserves:)

The general reception trumps what some of us fans deeply enjoyed about it. I doubt we'll ever see a QoS 2.0 type film in the series again, as much of a disappointment as that is.
    One of
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    To everyone involved in QoS production: Feel the Love we still have for that film.....please take a hint and give this movie a good sequel it deserves:)

The general reception trumps what some of us fans deeply enjoyed about it. I doubt we'll ever see a QoS 2.0 type film in the series again, as much of a disappointment as that is.

It's too late for one anyway.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    It has great themes, a great character arc, and a superb plot. What more do I want from a film?
    It has great themes, a great character arc, and a superb plot. What more do I want from a film?

James Bond stabbing guys in the throat and gunning Alfa Romeos off the side of the road. Can't go wrong there.
    I’m a huge Quantum fan. I find it very Flemingesque- like an early Bond novel. No world ending disaster, but a (reasonably) small scale problem to deal with (control of a countries water supply), which is an ecological themed story in line with the threats we face today. Fleming wrote about Diamond smuggling, Gold smuggling etc which were the small scale threats of his time.

Plus Daniel Craig is amazing in this film and had the best clothes of the era.

The contrast between the frenetic action sequences and the quieter moments is deliberate. (Not that I want my actuon this way all the time)

Totally agree. QOS really reminded me of very early Bond in many ways, before the bloat set in. It's more stripped back and energised than anything EON had made for years.

I understand all the criticisms and it could have been fine tuned had they had time. But overall I rate it quite highly. Probably the Craig film I'm most likely to rewatch.
    Considering it was made during the writers strike makes it even more impressive.
    Considering it was made during the writers strike makes it even more impressive.

The fact that on some days, they'd actually be writing the scene before they shot it is impressive, too - the film should've been a complete, tonal train wreck (between that and the writer's strike), but turned out gold, in my opinion.
    Quantum of Bourne is a train-wreck in editing and some of the stunts are so poor (boat-clash and airplane jump to name a few) while the script is actual the most realpolitik story of all the 007 stories. It is certainly the most interesting of spy stories in the current era, it did promise something which the next two movies casually dropped in favor of a personal story.
    QoB is still disappointing when it starts there is one masterclass of fucked up editing it is difficult to follow what the director wanted to begin with. The foot-chase in Italy is almost a light copy of the Bourne one in Morocco. One of the strangest things is the stunt coordinator and editor of the last Bourne movie and how they were deployed for this movie. They did not improve the movie
    Some of the editing is ropey but I think people exaggerate slightly how much of this is an issue
    Getafix wrote: »
    Some of the editing is ropey but I think people exaggerate slightly how much of this is an issue

It is really crap the editing it is the major fault of the movie, it feels like the director did not have the right stuff filmed to make a logical action-scene and tries to hide it.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Agree - the editing is my only issue with QoS. Everything else I totally appreciate every time I rewatch it.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Getafix wrote: »

+1