Which Fleming Characters Were Best Cast in the Films?

edited February 2014 in Bond Movies Posts: 2,483
This could also go in the Lit section, and if a mod wants to move it, I won't object.

Now to the task at hand, I think there has been some terrific casting of Fleming characters. Joseph Wiseman as Julius No, Lotte Lenya as Rosa Klebb, Robert Shaw as Red Grant, Bernard Lee as M, and George Lazenby as Bond all spring to mind. In these instances, I couldn't have cast actors that more perfectly represent Fleming's characters if I tried.

Whom would you nominate?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Very interesting question, @Perilagu_Khan!

Here are my choices:

- Timothy Dalton as Bond
    - Jack Lord as Felix Leiter
    - Rory Kinnear as Tanner
    - Agreed on Wiseman, Lenya, Shaw, Lee
    - Michael Lonsdale as Sir Hugo Drax
  • I've haven't read much of the literary side of James Bond, but would have to say for starters,

Timothy Dalton (and Sean Connery) as James Bond 007

Bernard Lee as M

Wiseman as Dr Julius No

Shaw as Donald Grant

Chris Lee as Francisco Scaramanga

Mads Mikkelsen as LeChiffre

Jane Seymour as Solitaire
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Anthony Zerbe as Milton Krest was perfect casting for me.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Diana Rigg as Tracy di Vicenzo for me!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Diana Rigg as Tracy di Vicenzo for me!

Yes, that certainly was another great one.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 4,622
    George Lazenby as Bond is pure Fleming I think in terms of looks, stature, age.
    Lee as M of course
    Lois Maxwell as MP. Although am I just being blinded by the fact that Maxwell took such ownership of the character that she trumps what Fleming wrote.
    Robert Shaw as Red Grant
    Mie Hama as Kissy was pretty close
    Lotte Lenya as Klebb
    I think Charles Gray as Blofeld was about the right size and stature, even if he wasn't quite as menacing. At least he had hair. Fleming's Blofeld looked most like Gray I think.
    Both Jack Lord and Rick Van Nutter as Leiter.
    Gert Frobe as Goldfinger
    Wiseman as Dr No = perfection.
    Gabrielle Ferzetti as Draco. Like Pedro Armendariz as Darko Kerim though, this may be somewhat clouded by the fact that many of us saw the films first and thus envisioned the screen characters in the books. Fleming's Kerim was a lot rougher and more barbaric.
    Ferzetti as Draco I think was close.
    Ilse Steppatt as Bunt was well cast I thought.
    Tetsuro Tamba seems pretty close as Tiger.
    Ursula Andress as Honey. Fleming liked her so much he even gave her a literary reference in his OHMSS.
    Jane Seymour as Solitaire? Fleming Solitaire I don't think was as weak.
    Harold Sakata as Oddjob was bang on! Maybe the most perfect casting of all
    Was Honor Blackman close as Pussy or Shirley Eaton as Tilly Masterson?
    Fleming's Domino was feistier than Auger's screen domino.
    Giancarlo Giannini as Mathis seems close.
    All the Fleming characters in FYEO seem pretty good. Topol as Columbo. Casandra Harris Lisl. Not sure about Julian Glover though. Does he work as Flemings Kristatos?

Biggest miss. Charles Gray as Dikko Henderson :P

As for Tracy, I think Rigg's screen portrayal was actually better realized than what Fleming created. Rigg very much fleshed out the character.
    Fleming's Tracy goes AWOL for a good stretch, plus I think she was a blonde if memory serves
    Erich Phohlmann as Blofeld's voice. Telly Savalas as Blofeld's face and body, although ironically not for OHMSS the movie he played in, but TB. The whole cast of FRWL, simply flawless. Joseph Wiseman as Dr No was not as close to the novel's No as other actors were, that said I don't think any actor, living or dead, could be, and he certainly filled the role perfectly. Maybe the most challenging role every played in a Bond movie, come to think of it.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 2,895
    Perfect Casting:
    Bernard Lee as M
    Lois Maxwell as Ms. Moneypenny
    Giancarlo Giannini as Mathis
    Eva Green as Vesper Lynd
    Pedro Armendariz as Kerim Bey
    Robert Shaw as Red Grant
    Gert Fröbe as Auric Goldfinger
    Harold Sakata as Oddjob
    Gabriele Ferzetti as Marc-Ange Draco
    Ilse Steppat as Irma Bunt
    Jane Seymour as Solitaire
    Timothy Dalton as James Bond
    John Terry as Felix Leiter

Note: by perfect casting, I mean almost as Fleming wrote the character. Sometimes this is debatable--Dalton lacks some of the literary Bond's charm. Other selections are note-perfect: movie Mathis has the wisdom of his book counterpart (too bad he wasn't given screentime to debate Bond on the nature of evil) and Armendariz captures Darko's joi de vivre. John Terry from TLD might surprise some, but he is closer to the literary Felix than any other: young, Texan, affable, and someone who seems genuinely at ease with Bond.

Casting that differs from the book but works perfectly (or very well) in the movie:
    Sean Connery as James Bond
    Joseph Wiseman as Dr. No
    Diana Rigg as Tracy di Vincenzo
    Lotte Lenya as Rosa Klebb
    Honor Blackman as Pussy Galore
    Anthony Dawson and Eric Pohlmann as Ernst Stavro Blofeld
    Tetsurō Tamba as Tiger Tanaka
    Telly Savalas as Ernst Stavro Blofeld
    Bruce Glover as Mr. Wint and Putter Smith as Mr. Kidd
    Topol as Columbo

Note: these are actors who don't exactly fit what Fleming wrote, either because they physically differ from the originals or have slightly different personalities, but they play the characters so well they compensate by adding an extra dimension to them. Connery's Bond is more insolent, sly, and predatory than Fleming's, and that makes him enormously charismatic. Rigg is haughtier and definitely less blonde than book Tracy, but she also has more personality. Blackman is a tougher, no-nonsense Galore. Tamba is younger than book Tiger but retains his zest, just as Topol is less fat than the original Columbo but just as full of vitality. Lenya is thinner and more high-strung than the original Klebb, and just as nasty. Savalas has a different accent and look than the original Blofeld but invests him with greater menace and physicality.

Unsuccessful Casting:
    Mads Mikkelsen as LeChiffre
    Christopher Lee as Scaramanga
    Yaphet Kotto as Mr. Big
    Britt Ekland as Mary Goodnight
    Cec Linder as Felix Leiter
    Adolfo Celi as Emilio Largo
    Charles Gray as Dikko Henderson
    Charles Gray as Ernst Stavro Blofeld:
    Jill St. John as Tiffany Case
    Norman Burton as Felix Leiter
    Michael Lonsdale as Hugo Drax

Note: these are not necessarily bad performances. They just don't line up with the original versions of the characters and they aren't compelling enough to stand up on their own. St. John and Ekland are stuck playing bimbos. Lee lacks his customary menace. Lonsdale is occasionally witty but more often stiff. Gray is too foppish in both of his roles. Kotto, Mikkelson, and Celi play shrunken-down, uncharismatic versions of the original villains. They aren't monstrous enough for Fleming's world. The actors playing Leiter look too old and sound too staid.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Jack Lord, Norman Burton and Jeffrey Wright as Felix Leiter
    Robert Shaw as Red Grant
    Bernard Lee and Ralph Fiennes as M (though Fiennes has only had a single scene as M, he's done great so far)
    Sean Connery, Timothy Dalton and Daniel Craig as James Bond
    Anthony Dawson as Blofeld's hand stroking a cat
    Interesting thread. A more interesting one would be who was "miscast"
    I will defer and list my favs

Gert Frobe as Goldfinger. In the book he was only 5 feet tall and hardly imposing. It was a smart choice to use a more physically and bigger than life actor for this iconic villain.
    The entire cast for LTK and FRWL. These two films are the most meticulously cast.

I could go on but I won't. In most cases EON has hit the mark (or come very close to it despite what the books and Fleming may have dreamed up). In some cases the films have improved on what was envisioned. For example, the script for Goldfinger improves on Auric's caper but that's another discussion.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited February 2014 Posts: 5,080
    I would also like to add George Lazenby as Bond. Though I don't not favour him over Dalton and Moore, He fits very closely to Fleming's Bond, but the key difference is that he didn't stand out as much as a cinematic James Bond, where I think Dalton, Moore and Connery all excelled. Lazenby brought vulnerability to the character, and even snobbery. That, I think, is very fitting for Fleming's creation.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    George Lazenby, Bernard Lee, Harold Sakata (although this might be just because I saw the film first and pictured the film Oddjob), Dianna Rigg, Robert Shaw.
    Robert Shaw
    Diana Rigg
    Topol
    Bernard Lee
    Gabriele Ferzetti
    Lotte Lenya
  • I'm a real Fleming boffin and have written a tertiary level dissertation on him for my degree way back in the 70s, so I've been a true Fleming boffin since before many of you were born I'm quite sure :), so I speak from some experience and an informed vantage point when I state I can only agree with a few of these suggestions.

Bernard Lee
    Ilse Steppat
    Topol

Others I have to add include:
    Molly Peters
    Britt Ekland
    The gentleman playing the "Monster from Lille" at the card table in OHMSS

David Hedison captures the "feel good" persona of Felix but not the physicality.

Charles Grey captures the physicality of Dicko Henderson but not the rowdy persona. "Pour us another brew me lad" we can almost hear him say looking at that beaten up mug. But the words that escape the thin lips spout only "Take a seat, dear chap..." in a refined voice most unbecoming of one of Fleming's most vivid onpage creations.

And what a creation.

Least successful simply has to be Guy Doleman as Count Lippe. An utter disaster from a casting standpoint.

It's all about power and the perception of power.

The Monster from Lille--heh, hadn't even thought about that one, but you're right.

As for Doleman's Lippe, I think Doleman was appropriately menacing, but Fleming's Lippe he certainly was not. They bore no resemblance whatever.

• edited February 2014 Posts: 316
    I always thought Kitchen as Tanner fit the character very well