Fleming Sky Atlantic - Episode 1

edited February 2014 in News Posts: 267
Well, if you were expecting an accurate biopic or a screen translation of either John Pearson or Andrew Lycett's biographies, don't hold your breath.
That said, what we do have is a fabulous glamorisation of his life that the producers have used to fuse the characters of Bond and Fleming to give us a beautiful period drama.
Personally, I loved it.
Although Dominic Cooper is completely miscast as Fleming - he doesn't look a bit like him - he is a great actor and embodies the role with a louche style and clearly uses his portrayal as an audition to succeed Craig as Bond when he passes the baton. Not a crazy idea - if he bulks up he certainly has the acting chops.
The rest of the cast are also stella.
Lesley Manville is great as Fleming's mother and capably portrays a woman that cast a long shadow over his life. Lara Pulver brings the right level of English high society sophistication to the role of An and Muriel Wright is smoking as played by Annabelle Wallis particularly when she sports her leather jodhpurs for her dispatch rider mission.
The men also do well. Rupert Evans with his portrayal of Peter, Ian's older brother and Sam West as Admiral Godfrey, Director of Naval Intelligence and Fleming's war time boss both give creditable performances and as I said at the outset, the whole thing skilfully fuses the characters of Fleming and Bond to give us a thrilling, glamorous period flic that avoids infringing Eon's screen rights.
Can't wait for episode 2 and would love to see this team bring 'The Moneypenny Diaries' to the silver screen!

Comments

I enjoyed it in a lightweight kind of way. It reminded me a little of last years Hitchcock starring Anthony Hopkins - highly dramatised and sexed up (literally in this case) but not without charm.
    I'm mixed on Cooper as Fleming. His performance was fine but he felt a bit too close to Bond at times.
    As Bentley said I thought Leslie Manville was great as Fleming's mother, certainly the best of the supporting cast.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I'm just wondering does anyone know if there plans to show this on the BBC ?
    Mrcoggins wrote:

No, It's a SKY Atlantic/BBC America production, so it will not be shown on terrestrial television over here.

I have still been able to watch it without SKY though ;-) :-\"
    Mrcoggins wrote:

No, It's a SKY Atlantic/BBC America production, so it will not be shown on terrestrial television over here.

What did you think?
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Mrcoggins wrote:

What did you think?

It's enjoyable for what it is, 'throw away' television. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Agreed. Some of that CG at the end was Die Another Day territory bad though.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Thank you @Samuel.

We don't need two threads, by all means re-post in the above link.

Locked.
This discussion has been closed.