BAFTAs 2014

edited January 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 6,396
The nominations for this years BAFTAs have been announced. Gravity leads the way with 11 nods, American Hustle & 12 Years A Slave both have 10 and Captain Phillips has 9.

Dame Judi has received her 15th acting nomination (a new record) for Philomena.

Interestingly, Gravity has been nominated in the "Best British Film" category. Presumably because it was filmed in Britain?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25648930

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Never seen any of those sad to say. Nice to read Dame Judi gets another nod - hope she wins as she's quite a lady! I have her autograph in my personal collection.
    Full list of winners from last night's ceremony:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26218678

Did anyone watch it? I like Stephen Fry but his presenting last night was embarrassingly cringeworthy. Painful to watch.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I like Stephen; I couldn't watch any of the BAFTAs. Why was he cringeworthy?

His jokes fell as flat as a pancake. He seemed really nervous all night.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Even Mr Fry has an off night or so it would seem.

Was he better or worse than Brucie on Strictly?
    BAIN123 wrote:

Was he better or worse than Brucie on Strictly?

Nobody is worse than Brucie!
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 6,396
    I was really annoyed that James Gandolfini was overlooked during the "In Memoriam" sequence. Granted, he was best remembered as Tony Soprano, but he did enough film work to deserve a mention.
    Is it just me or do others think every time they see Brucie Keep Breathing !...
    I was really annoyed that James Gandolfini was overlooked during the "In Memoriam" sequence. Granted, he was best remembered as Tony Soprano, but he did enough film work to deserve a mention.

I wondered about that last night as well .
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189
    My mum can't stand Stephen Fry. I always liked him in Blackadder as the WW1 general.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 6,396
    BAIN123 wrote:
    My mum can't stand Stephen Fry. I always liked him in Blackadder as the WW1 general.

Baaah!

Haha!!! "THE FLANDERS PIGEON MURDERER!!"
    Interestingly, Gravity has been nominated in the "Best British Film" category. Presumably because it was filmed in Britain?

Time to face Gravity.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Chiwetel will be cast in Bond 24 I bet.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Haha!!! "THE FLANDERS PIGEON MURDERER!!"

JUSTICE FOR SPECKLED JIM !....
    So happy Cate Blanchett won. Maybe the best actress of her generation, certainly my favourite.
    Enjoyed the Bafta's, have heard so many good things regarding "12 years a slave". Certainly on my to see list!
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Enjoyed the Bafta's, have heard so many good things regarding "12 years a slave". Certainly on my to see list!

You should, its excellent.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

You should, its excellent.

Oh I do, I just sit down with a drink and some snacks and just watch the night unfold? Naomi Harris looked very nice too!!! :D
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Haven't seen American Hustle so maybe I can't judge but I'm disappointed that Lupita Nyong'o didn't win supporting actress. I'm glad Chiwetel won best actor though.

Don't the TV Bafta's have an In Memoriam bit too? I think he'll get a mention there. Same with Roger Lloyd Pack.
    Haven't seen American Hustle so maybe I can't judge but I'm disappointed that Lupita Nyong'o didn't win supporting actress. I'm glad Chiwetel won best actor though.

Don't the TV Bafta's have an In Memoriam bit too? I think he'll get a mention there. Same with Roger Lloyd Pack.

That doesn't justify him being overlooked. They can surely honour him at both ceremonies. He earned a Golden Globe nomination for his final film role so that must mean something surely?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited February 2014 Posts: 4,043
    The fact Lupita lost out to Lawrence was a real injustice, don't get me wrong she steals every scene she is in American Hustle but O'Russell's Scorcesse cover version is a harmless little fluff piece with some great performances in comparison to McQueen's masterpiece. So glad it got best film and McQueen was unusually emotional in his acceptance speech.

Lupita gave such an incredible performance in 12 Years and leaves Jennifer's looking decidedly ordinary and don't get me started on Fassbender getting over looked again.
    The fact that they gave that French bloke for the forgettable Artist over Gary Oldman's phenomenal turn in Tinker a few years back is something I've never forgiven BAFTA for.

Overlooking Gandolfini and Lloyd Pack was unforgivable as well. Just revisiting The Soprano's at the moment on the final season, he really was incredible actor in that role.
    Personally I think Philomena should have won Outstanding British Film over Gravity. True Gravity had some terrific visual effects but I felt it took quite a bit from other films (namely Alien). Philomena was quite exceptional imo.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I think they just gave Gravity the British film award because it didn't get best picture. It's a bit like with Skyfall last year, it wasn't nominated for best picture so they gave it best British film instead.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Lupita's performance was magnificent but Lawrence was also frustratingly amazing in AH.